test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A ship I would like to have in Game...

danson666danson666 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
Hello, like i said above, the ship I would like to have in the Game is the Andromeda Ascendant. It is from Gene Roddenberry too. It would be more interesting then the remakes from ships that allready existed in the Game.
that's all. See you next Time...
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Never going to happen, while Andromeda was conceived by Gene Roddenberry (he was never personally involved with that series as he died years before Andromeda premiered) as far as I know CBS does not own the rights for it therefore it cannot be in STO, Star Trek is Licensed from CBS as Gene Roddenberry never personally owned the Copyright for Star Trek but rather it was owned by Desilu Studios which was later bought by CBS who own the rights for Trek currently, while I don't exactly know who own the rights for Andromeda Wikipedia seems to imply NBCuniversal as the rights holder.

Cryptic cannot legally add anything into the game they don't have the rights for and Cryptic have rights for Star Trek and Star Trek alone thru a License which comes with other limiting factors as well, for example Cryptic cannot do ships from other EU material from Star Trek just the TV series, Movies and Lower Decks, so including material from a non-Trek IP is not possible in any realistic scenario.
  • danson666danson666 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    Can't they buy the Copyrights?
    edited October 2021
    danson666 wrote: »
    Can't they buy the Copyrights?

technically yes especially if you meant CBS (Cryptic owning the Copyright probably wouldn't help due license agreements), however these things tend to be very expensive especially if the IP in question was even moderately successful (like Andromeda was) so we'd might be talking about millions of dollars to buy the Copyright for Andromeda, Cryptic probably doesn't even have that level of spare funds around and even CBS would probably not want to do and that's assuming the IP holder is willing to sell in the first place.

People who own the rights for successful IPs aren't all that willing to sell them for a reasonable price and license agreements aren't things you can add to at whim, not mention people might not want to give a license to project where they would a "guest star" at best, STO is after all a Star Trek game and any other IP would be a cameo or a shout out not a major plot point.

EDIT: A copyright isn't just something you can go to your local market and buy for spare change (or if it is you'd probably not want it), since they are what makes profit for entertainment companies they tend to want to keep the ones that give them profit and the ones they're willing to sell for cheap are the ones no one wants anyway as they wouldn't give any profit.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    As the Andromeda Ascendant is not a Star Trek ship... highly unlikely to happen at all. Just because Gene Roddenberry was behind it doesn't mean its fair game.

Andromeda is, as others mentioned, owned by someone else. Not only that, its not even the same universe as Star Trek. The rules of the Andromeda universe differ greatly from Star Trek's, so figuring out how to make that work is... um... no idea.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I highly doubt CBS would ever allow the devs to put a full blown cross-over ship into the game, but if they DID approve such a thing it would need to be from another franchise owned by CBS. Anything owned by another company would likely be too expensive, and negotiating with the other company would be a headache as well.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    rattler2 wrote: »
    As the Andromeda Ascendant is not a Star Trek ship... highly unlikely to happen at all. Just because Gene Roddenberry was behind it doesn't mean its fair game.
    I wouldn't even say Gene Roddenberry was behind it, it was based on some ideas Gene had before he died but other people took those uncompleted ideas and turned them into something that could be aired as Gene had died years before Andromeda aired and as far as I know he was never involved in the production before he died (and obviously wasn't involved after he died)
    Then how are the Chances for the 31 century constitution to come in Game?
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    It would be fun to have the Final Conflict shuttles...but it won't happen. I would still love shuttles to get some love in game though, because they're just so wasted.
    > @sirsitsalot said:
    > Sorry... That's not Star Trek. I would rather them update another existing ship before the Nova class before they were to bring in a ship that is not even part of any Star Trek canon. Maybe what you should be doing is head to a general gaming discussion forum and post about how you would like to see an MMO set in that other IP. Keep Star Trek Star Trek, even if some people don't consider what Star Trek has become to really be Star Trek.

What have Star Trek become in your Eyes? Then I give you my answer to it.
    It is a Point, but many Games doing Collaborations with other things like Costumes, Charas etc. That was my though about it. And what my Opinion about STO is that they don't care about Bugs(sentry Mode, Cloaketc.), doing the same mistakes again and again(crashes by Qnos etc.), or remade a ship for the 3rd time(Constitiution I don't know how often this is already in game). And the Patches for PC release are earlier then on console but the Bugs are going to console too, but fixed it the Bugs on PC at the same time, why didn't they rework the Patch that the same Bugs from the PC Version didn't arrive at the Console when they already know the Bugs?

This Game NEED a Core reworking, on all Plattforms, or Console at least.

That is My Opinion about this.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    The problem is that PC is a few versions ahead of Console. They're not the same version. PC gets story content before Console. Not only that, what works on PC doesn't always work on console because of hardware.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    > @rattler2 said:
    > The problem is that PC is a few versions ahead of Console. They're not the same version. PC gets story content before Console. Not only that, what works on PC doesn't always work on console because of hardware.

Yes that is the point, the PC version is a few Versions ahead, but the same Bugs that they have already fixed, are coming to the Consoles? It's funny when the Patchnotes are on the site for PC and Consoles, in the PC Version the Bug is fixed and in the Console Version the Bug has arrived? When they know the Bugs in the PC Version why didn't they fix it already for the Console Version?
  • xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    danson666 wrote: »
    It is a Point, but many Games doing Collaborations with other things like Costumes, Charas etc. That was my though about it. And what my Opinion about STO is that they don't care about Bugs(sentry Mode, Cloaketc.), doing the same mistakes again and again(crashes by Qnos etc.), or remade a ship for the 3rd time(Constitiution I don't know how often this is already in game). And the Patches for PC release are earlier then on console but the Bugs are going to console too, but fixed it the Bugs on PC at the same time, why didn't they rework the Patch that the same Bugs from the PC Version didn't arrive at the Console when they already know the Bugs?

This Game NEED a Core reworking, on all Plattforms, or Console at least.

That is My Opinion about this.
    So was this just a demand an impossible thing as a smokescreen to justify a rant about bugs?

Either way, you aren't going to get anything in game that isn't part of the Star Trek franchise (or fundamentally based on it in the case of non-canon ship designs). Andromeda isn't Star Trek (regardless of who created it) any more than we're likely to see a Firefly transport (now owned by the Mouse House). The various incarnations of what is now ViacomCBS have (by all accounts) been very careful about IP integrity. I don't see them taking their eye off the ball on that front any time soon.

It also spares us having to deal with an in-game version of Kevin Sorbo.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I'd like the background ships in Kelvin trek.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    I'd like the background ships in Kelvin trek.
    The Newton-Type might fit the current "Heavy Cruiser" frame. The Armstrong and Mayflower types could fit the "Miranda" frame. It's possible that, given the way the Starfleet Kelvin Trek ships appear to have been resized, they may need their own frames to keep scale with the Kelvin Connie.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
This discussion has been closed.