test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ten Forward Weekly 9/29/21

faxmachine#9639 faxmachine Member Posts: 120 Arc User
from reddit
  • At the time Romulans were made CBS didn't want Romulans to wear Starfleet uniforms, and Cryptic hasn't gotten any word that has changed.
  • Holographic officers like the Doctor and Geordi being editable was a mistake, but they don't want to take that away. No plans to make other holographic officers editable
  • We will see the Emperor by the end of the arc
  • The Emperor is not 100% decided yet. They know who they want the Emperor to be, and have reached out to them, but they haven't come back saying yes yet.
  • Eisenberg class is being made, but no news besides that
  • As far as Kael is aware, the Eisenberg isn't a lockbox ship. But it could change
  • More stuff coming to Mudd's store next week
  • Kael has repeatedly suggested the Picard flashback uniforms to the staff as things people want
  • The Mirror Universe weapons that were given away not being upgradeable might be on purpose, but Kael will ask
  • Cryptic has had joking conversations about making a Sub Rosa joke if they ever got Gates Mcfadden into STO. Like her finding the candle and throwing it away
  • The ship is coming out Friday so it counts as having come out in October for financials
  • CBS/Paramount merger really hasn't changed much for Cryptic besides the people they talk too over there
  • Kael will bring up making more reputations, and likes the idea of a Khitomer Alliance rep
  • The idea behind adding T6 to existing reps was to cut down how much time/cost it took to make them. It actually took longer/cost more
  • Borticus says a hypothetical T7 rep update would probably take as much time as making a new rep. Tier updates get harder the more reps they have
  • Kael will follow up on the volcano suit. EV suit slot is promising with data thats come in. Can't promise anything, but it may be closer then its ever been
  • Non humanoid BOFFs is something Cryptic is interested in. Lots of technical challenges involving animations. Would probably have limited skill set
  • As an example of how seemingly easy things aren't actually easy. In a recent attempt to add a new hat into the game one of the Cryptic devs had to hand edit 2,000 files, but the final edited file count is higher
  • Kael's least favorite TFO in STO. All the old Borg TFOs
  • Kael wont know what we are talking about regarding a Halloween event until next Tuesday(sarcasm on his part about not knowing)
  • PVP unlikely to get a revamp. Its a subject that gets brought up occasionally in the office, but there isn't a big enough community for it to be a focus
  • Kael's favorite arc is the original Grethor arc, even before they revamped it
  • Cryptic can't accept full story/idea pitches due to copyright reasons
  • No immediate plans for more Kelvin stuff
  • Next on Cryptic's list to update is likely the removed Federation Klingon war missions. Though Kael agrees the Breen arc needs a revamp
  • Cryptic has an agreement with the person who made the Vesta for it to appear in STO. Part of this agreement is no 3D printing of the ship.
  • Might add more lifetime sub benefits. Its something that comes up every few months, but other things get in the way
  • Lifetime subs keep selling, even at this point in the game's life
  • Will ask about getting updates to the Romulan arc cutscenes that didn't get them in the past
  • Kael has asked about mission dialog not dropping people out of cloak. Its something thats harder then it looks
  • Borticus says in the chat: It also allowed for a lot of mission logic to break in unexpected ways. Allowing cloak to persist thru contacts must be done on a per-contact basis, to ensure the mission logic does not break.
  • Cryptic has talked about integrating ship videos they use to announce ships into the game more. So that you could look at a ship you own/want to buy in a cutscene like that. Cryptic is not far on the idea
  • Roadmaps are hard due to how often things change
  • Things like Legendary Constellation are unlikely to happen due to not having a lot of variant to bundle
  • Cryptic talks about adding things to the GPL store often, but it gets pushed aside by other things
  • Borticus on EV suit slot: I will comment on EV Suit Slot: Work has progressed, and more challenges need to be solved. It's not very high priority, but work is continuing when possible.
  • Ground vehicles are unlikely due to maps not being designed for them
  • Cryptic thinks the Klingon Civil War content was well received, but could tell people were getting tired of every seasonal release for a long time being about it. They are considering having one or two seasonal updates of this current Terran arc be a separate side mission. Akin to Brushfire or Beyond the Nexus in the Tzenkethi arc
  • No one at Cryptic or Perfect World likes that they had to get rid of the Foundry. They talked about having a foundry only server, but that would still require work to maintain, and would be something only a small group of people went to
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Non humanoid BOFFs is something Cryptic is interested in. Lots of technical challenges involving animations. Would probably have limited skill set

very interesting, so much players would like to have a kelpian boff, for example.
    Nice to see all these discussions/ideas, I'm curious to see which features or stuff will be added in the game.

btw, thx for your summary.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Cryptic thinks the Klingon Civil War content was well received, but could tell people were getting tired of every seasonal release for a long time being about it. They are considering having one or two seasonal updates of this current Terran arc be a separate side mission. Akin to Brushfire or Beyond the Nexus in the Tzenkethi arc

I don't think that is why people were tired of it. I'd still agree more one off missions are necessary, though. Not everything has to be a Nemesis plot, Cryptic.
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    lots of things get pushed aside for other things. what are these things?

You know, things the players have been asking about for years, like an updated Nova model, or those Klingon War episodes that have been removed for an entire quarter of this game's life. You know, nothing that will sell a lockbox or anything important like that.
    At least they're finally talking about maybe prioritizing the missions. We'll see.
  • kaosbainkaosbain Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Non humanoid BOFFs is something Cryptic is interested in. Lots of technical challenges involving animations. Would probably have limited skill set

very interesting, so much players would like to have a kelpian boff, for example.
    Nice to see all these discussions/ideas, I'm curious to see which features or stuff will be added in the game.

btw, thx for your summary.
    lots of things get pushed aside for other things. what are these things?

mostly worthless. but i appreciate you posting.

It isn't the OP's summary - Faxmachine didn't really do anything. The well-known forumite who usually always posts these summaries, and was the unnamed subject of a thread that Kael locked yesterday, posted it to Reddit as they always do. The OP simply hit copy-paste and copied the text of that post across to the forum.

https://reddit.com/r/sto/comments/pyazle/ten_forward_weekly_92921/

Sorry - credit where credit is due. Thank you for copypasting the Reddit post, but don't take credit for the real work - putting the summary itself together.

As someone that does not do redit/twitter/whatever I appreciate the efforts to post these, even if they are just a copy. Thank you for your work faxmachine
  • trekfangrrrl#6910 trekfangrrrl Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    but don't take credit for the real work - putting the summary itself together.

The very first words of the OP are "from reddit". They did not "take credit" for anything.
    -

The very first words of the OP are "from reddit". They did not "take credit" for anything.

No, but they were given it.

Ok? So I guess you are the one who said the wrong thing then.
    -

No, but they were given it.

Ok? So I guess you are the one who said the wrong thing then.

I'm not going to argue this point. Fact is someone else put the work into posting the summary and all the OP did was copy-paste the other person's work. I'll acknowledge that the OP didn't actually say anything in terms of taking credit. The OP has, however, received credit (in this thread) for it.

Good. And I agree they should have posted a link to the original post. But I'm just saying you can't accuse them of "taking credit" when specifically started the post by saying "from reddit". Just don't accuse someone of doing something they didn't do, even if they should have posted the link too.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Guy's drop the bickering. This is all publicly available information they put out on their stream. No one owns this information save possibly for Cryptic themselves. Shouldn't matter who "created" this summary. What should matter is the content of the summary.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    Guy's drop the bickering. This is all publicly available information they put out on their stream. No one owns this information save possibly for Cryptic themselves. Shouldn't matter who "created" this summary. What should matter is the content of the summary.

The information isn't what credit is given for, its the work it takes to transform it from video to a text summary like this. Cryptic doesn't do this, expecting us to watch hour+ streams instead of reading maybe 5-10 minutes of bullet points.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Thanks to the member on vacation for creating the list, and to fax for transmitting it with a set of noises over dial-up copying it here since I don't do reddit.

> Kael's favorite arc is the original Grethor arc, even before they revamped it

The two in Grethor have always been a couple of my favorites too, along with the shuttle sequence in Doomsday Machine. They created the feeling of "being Klingon" for me even more than Worf's parts.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Holographic officers like the Doctor and Geordi being editable was a mistake, but they don't want to take that away. No plans to make other holographic officers editable

This is good news, mostly. I wish unique Boffs were all customisable. At least their names, and all should at least have access to some standard faction uniforms (for example, First Contact outfit, TNG uniforms, Jupiter, veteran and maybe Khitomer Alliance).
    I think I speak for many people when I say I want to be able to have a consistent crew. Uniforms are supposed to be the same for crewmembers, at least not entirely different from all sorts of different periods.

Regarding the non-humanoid thing: in my opinion, it would be fine if the skill set were limited. I assume this refers to ground abilities as for space, I can't see how it would matter whether there's a standard, humanoid or non-humanoid model. On the ground, I don't really need my Boffs' abilities anyway. They're just there for roleplaying / crew building reasons.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Might add more lifetime sub benefits. Its something that comes up every few months, but other things get in the way

This would be nice. It's clear that the benefit package was made years ago. There are no T6 upgrade tokens, things like vanity shields or some ships with unique mechanics (the current vet ships' transform ability isn't really unique anymore).

Hopefully they can also add some other stuff that's unique to the Subscription. The Borg lock box, Risa fireworks set bonus and the release of other transformable ships has made some of the existing rewards less unique and less impressive, imo.
    Cryptic has talked about integrating ship videos they use to announce ships into the game more. So that you could look at a ship you own/want to buy in a cutscene like that. Cryptic is not far on the idea

This could be useful. Maybe even better: create a very simple environment (like some of the Foundry farm missions had) where players can actually use a ship, try it out. Having a video would be an improvement, but actually flying a mission can be very different than just seeing it fly.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Last comment separate because I want to combine a few things that may seem separate issues but which could actually solve each other:
    No one at Cryptic or Perfect World likes that they had to get rid of the Foundry. They talked about having a foundry only server, but that would still require work to maintain, and would be something only a small group of people went to

Maybe they could add a story telling feature to STO. Instead of having the actual Foundry with environments, ships, playable content and so on, just limit it to the story telling part. Let players write and read each other's work.

That could also partially solve the issue of devs not being able (or rather, being hesitant) to read story suggestions. Why make the suggestions when you, as a player, can write them yourself?

Based on the number of players who go through the hassle of writing extensive bio's, there may be enough players interested in such a feature. I know that I was always mostly interested in the stories from the Foundry, not so much the environments (not to offend anyone who put in hard work to make those look great :) ).

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    This would be nice. It's clear that the benefit package was made years ago. There are no T6 upgrade tokens, things like vanity shields or some ships with unique mechanics (the current vet ships' transform ability isn't really unique anymore).

Hopefully they can also add some other stuff that's unique to the Subscription. The Borg lock box, Risa fireworks set bonus and the release of other transformable ships has made some of the existing rewards less unique and less impressive, imo.

Yea... the lifer sub perks are kinda... you don't get much over normal F2P. Sure you got unlimited Faction EV suits, but that's about it. Access to the Captain's Table is nice... but the station literally offers NOTHING you can't get anywhere else. Even the Peace and Quiet can be obtained by turning Zone Chat off.
    Maybe they could add a story telling feature to STO. Instead of having the actual Foundry with environments, ships, playable content and so on, just limit it to the story telling part. Let players write and read each other's work.

That could also partially solve the issue of devs not being able (or rather, being hesitant) to read story suggestions. Why make the suggestions when you, as a player, can write them yourself?

Based on the number of players who go through the hassle of writing extensive bio's, there may be enough players interested in such a feature. I know that I was always mostly interested in the stories from the Foundry, not so much the environments (not to offend anyone who put in hard work to make those look great :) ).

I don't know... that kinda falls under fanfiction, and there are sites for that already. While I do agree that the creativity of STO's playerbase is quite impressive, and we do have quite a few people who show their writing skills in their bios... I'm not sure adding basically a fanfiction aspect to STO will work, or can even be done. For all we know... any stories submitted to STO for reading like this still has to pass through things that could be legal hurdles because STO is an officially licensed game under CBS. And then... even if it is accepted... is it yours anymore? Or is it going to be owned by CBS? Frankly I feel like its the same issue as the "Design the Next Enterprise" contest with fan submitted ship designs. Apparently that was a legal nightmare over who owns the designs. Stories will most likely face the same issues.

In this case... better to just write the story in Word or something and post it on a fanfiction site. I've actually written some fanfiction, and wanna get back into writing sometime. Hell... I even wrote a Star Trek crossover. But again... I don't see a place for it IN game.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Thanks Som for the write up! Did anyone catch what ship he is referring to:

“ The ship is coming out Friday so it counts as having come out in October for financials.”

He dropped the lede by not specifying.

*edited: to/too error, “!” added for emphasis.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    Thanks Som for the write up! Did anyone catch what ship he is referring to:

“ The ship is coming out Friday so it counts as having come out in October for financials.”

He dropped the lede by not specifying.

*edited to/too error. “!” added for emphasis.

That's the T6 Steamrunner
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > That's the T6 Steamrunner

Thanks Mirror Mark. I saw you were chatting on the stream as well. Thanks for watching on the front-line and keeping everyone honest!
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Games far older than STO can handle assigning any skill in the game to any character in the game. If the character lacked the necessary animation sets, it simply played a default animation instead *or* played no animation at all -- the skill was used just fine. If STO cannot do the same, whoever wrote the system for doff skills did a crappy job.

I think you mean Boff skills. Doffs are an entirely different system.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Games far older than STO can handle assigning any skill in the game to any character in the game. If the character lacked the necessary animation sets, it simply played a default animation instead *or* played no animation at all -- the skill was used just fine. If STO cannot do the same, whoever wrote the system for doff skills did a crappy job.

I think you mean Boff skills. Doffs are an entirely different system.

Yes. Obviously. Doffs have no skills. That's why they're just duty officers, after all. You gotta have skills to be a bridge officer!

Actually, doffs do have skills, though only ten ever use them in the current system (5 space and 5 ground postings were their skills mean anything), not counting the special R&D doffs.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    Actually, doffs do have skills, though only ten ever use them in the current system (5 space and 5 ground postings were their skills mean anything), not counting the special R&D doffs.

I think you can purchase an additional active DOff slot for each at the Fleet Spire.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think you can purchase an additional active DOff slot for each at the Fleet Spire.

Yes, that is so.
    Games far older than STO can handle assigning any skill in the game to any character in the game. If the character lacked the necessary animation sets, it simply played a default animation instead *or* played no animation at all -- the skill was used just fine. If STO cannot do the same, whoever wrote the system for *doff boff skills did a crappy job.
    (*I brain farted)

Yeah I think this would be another case of Cryptic not doing or deleting stuff because of "standards." They don't want to put in generic animations because it would look poor. Now lets ignore the many animations they kept from Champions Online that often look exaggerated and weird in STO, and lets ignore the fact that most people don't even get a chance to notice what their BOFFs are doing in battle because they are busy doing things themselves. And when we do ignore those things, it makes perfect sense not to add a new feature that would really open up a lot of alien diversity that Star Trek has struggled to do in shows and movies.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    but that would still require work to maintain

anyone else sense a terrible work ethic at cryptic? its like a running joke anymore about how things require work...

I think that was a bad/wrong answer, as everything requires work to maintain. I think the real/right answer is the people that actually knew how the foundry worked and maintained it were no longer with the company and for that reason they could no longer support it (not just in this game, but also in Neverwinter).

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    From what I've read on Reddit, Kael stated that they don't release as many C-store ships because they don't sell well.

That's an.... interesting...statement.
    Most businesses would react to that by sending out surveys to their users to get some actual feedback that they can look at with their metrics. You know, so they can figure out how to improve the things that players are reacting negatively to, especially when it comes to a key component of their business model. Maybe incentivize survey participation by including an account unlock item or a bit of Zen as a thank you.

But I guess they would rather stay the course and hope they stumble at random into something the players actually like.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    but that would still require work to maintain

anyone else sense a terrible work ethic at cryptic? its like a running joke anymore about how things require work...

I think that was a bad/wrong answer, as everything requires work to maintain. I think the real/right answer is the people that actually knew how the foundry worked and maintained it were no longer with the company and for that reason they could no longer support it (not just in this game, but also in Neverwinter).

oh i agree it was a bad answer and way to present it, but look at a lot of the other bullet points...many reflect the same type of central wording that if it requires work, it sits...
    i mean...how long have many bugs been around that they just dont care to fix? we all get that money makes the server stay on and pays bills, but lets not be fooled they just dont want to do certain things, and the excuse is "it takes work."

I have a feeling* Kael is just giving a really bad explanation of (the thing in question) not meeting their return on investment threshold. In some cases they may actually want to do something (like make more bridges) but because they don't sell enough to justify they development cost, they don't. That is an actual business decision and has nothing to do with someone not wanting to do something because it takes "work". But the way he said it* (or at least the way it's written* in the summary) makes it sound like they just don't want to do "work".

*I didn't actually get to listen to the stream so I'm not sure whether the fault was the person speaking or the person taking notes.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.