test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bridge Selection for the S31 Command Heavy Battlecruiser

warmasterxdk#9668 warmasterxdk Member Posts: 66 Arc User
At the moment, there is only 1 option: the default OG broom closet bridge.

Please Cryptic, the S31 Intel Sci ship has a long list of bridges to choose from, why leave the heavy battlecruiser out in the cold when it comes to choosing a bridge? Its one of the nicest ships in the game and y'all put so much time and effort into making that ship as savage as it is, but the fact that we are stuck with ONE bridge is...frustrating and sad. With a long list of bridges to choose from, who knows? I might just splurge on a 2k Zen bridge.
Fingers crossed for the return of the Section 31 Heavy Rifle <3
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    This is one of the things that frustrates me in this game.

I get that they don't do bridges anymore.. fine.. ok, point taken. But why.. in the name of the Pa Wraiths can I not select a bridge from another ship that I ALREADY OWN and use it on my other ship?

I also have the S31 Heavy Command, I love it.. it's great. I also agree that the bridge is awful.. why can't I use the bridge for the Vengeance on my S31? The character owns both ships, I don't need anyone to make any new bridges.. I just want to use the one I already have on a ship that I am flying.

It's infuriating that bridges are ship locked for absolutely no reason. It's even more frustrating to know that no amount of requesting is ever going to be heard because they just flat out aren't going to listen.

Unlock our bridges Cryptic.. charge me Dilithium or Zen for it if you want, but make it happen!
    Insert witty signature line here.
    the ones already purchased via cstore as well as ones attached to ships purchased. those all need to be available on ANY ship...

Agreed.

The Odyssey bridge for example is absolutely fantastic.. but since I am not currently flying an Odyssey.. I just can't use it.

Makes no sense.
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    the ones already purchased via cstore as well as ones attached to ships purchased. those all need to be available on ANY ship...

Totally.
    So many great bridges that do exist which are locked to just one ship, mean while tons of great ships don't even get the basic bridges. Such a waste of great art.

I'd be putting my Konnie bridge on all kinds of ships if I could.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I agree that they should link in at least the list of default bridges from the old T1 to T4 ships if nothing else (and bought bridges too would be fantastic) but I know why they don't, and that is because they have to type the whole list of bridges in manually for every ship and that is a lot of letter-perfect typing, not to mention the inflation of the ship database.

If they had the TOS bridge available to be bought and used account wide on any ship I would have gotten it long ago, but buying a bridge is chancy since some ships let one use it and others do not and there is no way to tell ahead of time (and the devs wonder why no one buys the things much).
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Copy-paste is a thing, and Cryptic loves using that in every other situation - they can use it there too.

At least for coding, that's where it's SUPPOSED to be used - if you always manually type out all of your code even when there's already-existing code (or more importantly, reference links) you can just Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V and make minor adjustments to...you're not wired right, to put it politely.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Copy-paste is a thing, and Cryptic loves using that in every other situation - they can use it there too.​​

Unfortunately that is not a thing with the old database systems like the one they use for STO. What they could do though is alias it out as a subtable and just put the name of the subtable in where they just put the one really nasty looking bridge name in now, though the extra lookups might contribute to poor performance which they were struggling with not too long ago.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I get why we can't customize bridges (there is only one fixed map) and why they stopped making new bridges (huge effort).

I agree that it would be a very nice QoL upgrade to take the time to change from hard-coded allowed bridge lists per ship to doing a database lookup of every bridge that you own.

This change might even save time in the long run since every ship would use the same tables. While it might mean extra lookups when choosing a bridge that only happens while you are in the ship tailor which isn't going to be that often.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User

I get that they don't do bridges anymore.. fine.. ok, point taken. But why.. in the name of the Pa Wraiths can I not select a bridge from another ship that I ALREADY OWN and use it on my other ship?

I also have the S31 Heavy Command, I love it.. it's great. I also agree that the bridge is awful.. why can't I use the bridge for the Vengeance on my S31? The character owns both ships, I don't need anyone to make any new bridges.. I just want to use the one I already have on a ship that I am flying.

It's infuriating that bridges are ship locked for absolutely no reason. It's even more frustrating to know that no amount of requesting is ever going to be heard because they just flat out aren't going to listen.

Unlock our bridges Cryptic.. charge me Dilithium or Zen for it if you want, but make it happen!

Agreed.

It's fine if they don't make an unique bridge. Even though I think the high prices of those ships warrant it - they're more expensive than multiple entire popular and state-of-the-art games.

But at the very least they should add some of the standard ones. They already exist, no new assets need to be created. I may be oversimplifying things now, but isn't this just a matter of linking stuff together from an already existing database?
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

Agreed.

It's fine if they don't make an unique bridge. Even though I think the high prices of those ships warrant it - they're more expensive than multiple entire popular and state-of-the-art games.

But at the very least they should add some of the standard ones. They already exist, no new assets need to be created. I may be oversimplifying things now, but isn't this just a matter of linking stuff together from an already existing database?

From what Jett said in the livestream it is links, but they have to be manually added to the ships, one line per bridge, and the devs apparently don't want to do that. I suspect that since they would all have to have a bridge of some kind to avoid possible problems they have the ugly concrete-looking one set as the anti-null default and do not even type in any bridges in the selection list at all.

Agreed.

From what Jett said in the livestream it is links, but they have to be manually added to the ships, one line per bridge, and the devs apparently don't want to do that. I suspect that since they would all have to have a bridge of some kind to avoid possible problems they have the ugly concrete-looking one set as the anti-null default and do not even type in any bridges in the selection list at all.

Sounds about right, the typical 'we don't have time' reply. Everything breaks down to them either just not having the staff to do things or not being willing to have them do it.

This is why I expressed concern for the size of their studio in the last live stream, 2 active programmers on an MMO is less then a skeleton crew. Still, something like this would be a good use of their time, it's letting us use the assets that in many cases we paid for. Some of these bridges were acquired through paid means, the Odyssey Bridge for example, or Lobi/Lock Box ships. It's frustrating to have these assets and not being able to use them for whatever ship we wish.

Is it the end of the world? Of course not.. but it's disappointing nonetheless.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User

Agreed.

Maybe I'm still underestimating or simplifying things, but that doesn't actually sound like a lot of work.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

Agreed.

This is the sort of thing modders would do for free in other games. Some of this stuff could just be outsourced to the community, as I'm sure a lot of people are willing to do for free data entry projects of tables and spreadsheets to make the game better.
This discussion has been closed.