Install Arc
Options

Upcoming OS and DirectX Support Changes

2»

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    aftulus wrote: »
    Will the update have anything to do with AVX? I'm on a phenom 1100t cpu. I'm not sure if AVX is something it supports or doesn't.

If you can upgrade to Windows 10 (it's free) and your graphics card has DX11 drivers you should be fine.

Cryptic wants to stop having to support a 14 year old code path for graphics and a dead OS, that's all.

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    Since AVX is graphics related and the 1100T does not have on-chip graphics it would just pass the instructions to whatever videocard you have, and if it is less than ten or so years old it should have all the vector commands it needs on it (if STO even uses those particular commands).

The biggest difference between the previous minimum and the new one has to do with better shaders and improved streamlining which eliminates a lot of the alternate coding and machine code workarounds that used to be common in games and other time and effort wasters, which makes optimization and and other engine improvements faster and easier to do.
  • Options
    livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    my only question about this is, if people can't update right away and need time to save money or whatever, their accounts aren't at risk of being deleted or anything, right? accounts will essentially just go into cold storage or something until they're logged in again?

I don't think this will affect me, but if it does, it's gonna be close to a year before i can get a new PC. and I'd want to know if after that year, my account will still be here.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    my only question about this is, if people can't update right away and need time to save money or whatever, their accounts aren't at risk of being deleted or anything, right? accounts will essentially just go into cold storage or something until they're logged in again?

I don't think this will affect me, but if it does, it's gonna be close to a year before i can get a new PC. and I'd want to know if after that year, my account will still be here.

You should be perfectly fine, many people have left for years and returned to resume their accounts. I see no reason why your account should be any problem, it's the nature of MMO's, people leave for long periods and then resume later. It's highly uncommon for an MMO to take any action with inactive accounts, even over a period of years.

I know I can't give you an 'official' answer.. but I think you'll be just fine.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User

You should be perfectly fine, many people have left for years and returned to resume their accounts. I see no reason why your account should be any problem, it's the nature of MMO's, people leave for long periods and then resume later. It's highly uncommon for an MMO to take any action with inactive accounts, even over a period of years.

I know I can't give you an 'official' answer.. but I think you'll be just fine.

^ this. The main reason people have had problems coming back years later is they forgot their Arc login and also forgot which email account it was linked to.

A few people have posted "my stuff is gone" but I think it has always turned out that they had multiple accounts and re-activated the wrong one, or they had multiple characters and forgot which character the character-locked stuff was on.
This discussion has been closed.