test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Seeker Drones and Support Drones are now Exocomps.

lillen80lillen80 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
I just found out my Seeker and Support drones on my Federation captain has turned into exocomps is it supposed to be like that or did they get bugged by doing TFO Operation Wolf?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    Well... the original support and seeker drone models were slimmed down, lower quality exocomp shaped so maybe since they added the models in game they decided to update the Support and Seeker Drones to the new, higher quality Exocomps.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • stolokstolok Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    That caught me by surprise when playing the new mission, too. They are much larger and blockier in shape now. On the one hand, I think they are closer to what the exocomps looked like in the actual TV shows. But I don't think they are as large in the shows as the new revised model now is in the game.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... the original support and seeker drone models were slimmed down, lower quality exocomp shaped so maybe since they added the models in game they decided to update the Support and Seeker Drones to the new, higher quality Exocomps.

Well I can honestly say I'd PREFER my old Seeker &/or Support Drones back!

While I think the larger Exocomps are neat and interesting for sure. I mostly don't like their larger size, sure they are more scaled to what they showed in TNG, yet that was also 2364 not 2410 now more than 50 years later. And like all things Tech, new often means smaller not larger. I mean I like the way they look, if only they reduced their size by 35% I'd likely greatly WARM UP to them and LOVE them!

Still having said that, I still greatly prefer my old Seeker & Support Drones to remains as they were. Now I suspect I'll just have to STOP using them all together, and find other KITS to replace them or not use them at all. :(

It was the same feedback I provided about the Crystal Prism used in space, they should have scaled them down by 35-50% at least; they shouldn't be as large as a Star Ship if you're beaming them into space.

Sorry Thumbs Down for me! Trying to be constructive, and I like several (many) other things they've done or are at least working on! There just too big to appreciate, or even want to use. :'(

@ambassadorkael#6946
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    puD6Jvk.jpg
    strathkin wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

Well I can honestly say I'd PREFER my old Seeker &/or Support Drones back!

While I think the larger Exocomps are neat and interesting for sure. I mostly don't like their larger size, sure they are more scaled to what they showed in TNG, yet that was also 2364 not 2410 now more than 50 years later. And like all things Tech, new often means smaller not larger. I mean I like the way they look, if only they reduced their size by 35% I'd likely greatly WARM UP to them and LOVE them!

Still having said that, I still greatly prefer my old Seeker & Support Drones to remains as they were. Now I suspect I'll just have to STOP using them all together, and find other KITS to replace them or not use them at all. :(

It was the same feedback I provided about the Crystal Prism used in space, they should have scaled them down by 35-50% at least; they shouldn't be as large as a Star Ship if you're beaming them into space.

Sorry Thumbs Down for me! Trying to be constructive, and I like several (many) other things they've done or are at least working on! There just too big to appreciate, or even want to use. :'(

@ambassadorkael#6946

Hard to say what direction sentient machines would go with their designs. For a counterpoint, the Borg are centuries old but are still externally identical. They're just packing more and more advanced technology into the same basic package.

Mostly I agree about preferring the old drones, however. Seeker and support drones are disposable system platforms. If they get blown up, it's no big deal. That's not appropriate treatment for exocomps, which, as mentioned, are sentient machines. Pretty sure using exocomps like that would be a violation of Federation directives and laws.

Also, it takes away from possible exocomp *bridge* officers. Maybe this change was intended to test the waters for that end goal, but it still doesn't feel right to me.

Yes what the heck have they done lol. My disposable weapons platform is now an exocomp. It doesn't feel right on a variety of levels.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Seekers and support drones should be the slimmer modules as they have a specific role and no requirement to adapt to a situation the way an exocomp would.

Just big clunky visual clutter for the sake of it and one more thing to catch the massively oversized reticle on console once the change arrives there.
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Additional vote wanting the old models back: smaller is better for combat pets in an MMO. Look at all the LOTRO Lore-Masters running around with bear cubs instead of grizzlies!
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    It seems they accidentally made it so almost EVERY drone is now an exocomp, including the "mini-Xindi weapon" module whose sole purpose is to shoot a bit before blowing itself up.

I however still saw normal seeker drones, but I don't know exactly what those are, but likely those from bonuses allowing you to gain additional ones to the main drone.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    Count me in here too. I prefer a slimmer/smaller model.

In terms of drones and exocomps being distinct things. I 100% agree, but I can make it work in my head by saying that they just look the same, even though they aren't.

Your mileage may vary on this though!

-K
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I like them, and i wish they could talk... and have funny names..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • lillen80lillen80 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    I prefer the old ones this new exocomps blocks the sight sometimes the older small ones didn't
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    I like them, and i wish they could talk... and have funny names..

boff exocomp?
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    You're getting good exocomp models whether you like it or not.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    im fine either way.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    That got me too...especially since one of them was bobbing BEHIND my toon, really getting in the way. I may have to take it off one of my DOFF's, because I'm not sure if it's benefits outweigh the annoyance.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I prefer the old models, but overall it's really not a huge issue for me.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User

i would like the old models back.

The main reason is that the new drone is bigger but also likes to hover right in front of the camera behind the character, meaning it gets really hard to see things. I have to move the camera to a more downward angle or shift it to one side to see things and that is annoying.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    At fleet starbases there are also bigger ones flying around now.

I never used those drones much on my engineers, but now I'll probably use them even less. I preferred the old look.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2021
    I prefer the old models, but overall it's really not a huge issue for me.

I really prefer the OLD as well, and I mean if they are going to offer full Exocomps then offer them as new Kit's. Yet had wished they left the old ones just as they were...

Yet Dev's don't alway's take well to feedback, unless it's positive so don't expect a change.

*sigh* :(
    0zxlclk.png
    Am I the only one wondering where the sudden obsession with Exocomps has come from? They absolutely should have been new skills to train or kit modules, but not just changed the old ones. An Exocomp is a completely different animal as far as I'm concerned. In the event mission, you've got one that said acid? Now, a Exocomp skill or kit with an acid thing or something with different abilities would be fine, but...
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    Maybe they'll make some newfangled ones that'll have a built in microwave oven for your away team to use to heat up their snacks or perhaps even an ice cube dispenser?

They could even have different colored ones with unique appearances with some versions being made larger yet to better show off their unique styles - jumbo candy striped Exocomp with Targ fur trim and celestial glitter.

Specialty Exocomps could have a unique dialogue that repeats several witty phrases over and over.
    kayajay wrote: »
    Am I the only one wondering where the sudden obsession with Exocomps has come from?
    Having them show up for a mission and TFO isn't an obsession, and its a Lower Decks reference.

Having them show up for a mission and TFO...no, but what do you call turning our drones into Exocomps as well as?
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    kayajay wrote: »
    Am I the only one wondering where the sudden obsession with Exocomps has come from?
    Having them show up for a mission and TFO isn't an obsession, and its a Lower Decks reference.
    Its not just 1 TFO and 1 mission. They are showing up all over and many of the other different types of drones are showing up as Exocomps as well which is a bit of a problem. I am in Nukara right now and have Exocomps. They are everywhere so I can see why someone thinks its a bit of an obsession.

The Exocomps are nice in the mission and TFO but replacing other drones with Exocomps is going way to far. The old models are way better as well. This is another change to make QoL worse. Stick a worse model in that blocks the camera and make it so we cannot tell all the drones apart from each other which is essential on a drone build. I really hope this is a bug that gets fixed fast and not another bad design move.
This discussion has been closed.