test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The depth of Bridge Officers

anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
So... Bridge officers.

I still have the first BO I got back at Vega Colony and yes, shes still a part of my default away-team.

Now, still having it, I realize that I've had this BO follow me since January 2010, and while I've obviously changed her skills, promoted her, and made her a temporal BO, the truth is, that I can't really do that much with her, apart from having her go pew-pew every now and then.

I do think there is much potential in Bridge officers, so I was wondering what could you do with BO's apart from just being a platform for what skills you mount on your ship.

Examples of this could be:

Actual department leaders for Duty officers, where the rarity and maybe even traits could positively (or negatively) impact possible outcomes of Duty-officer assignments.

Similarly, they could be given "away-team" command of admiralty ships or groups, having similar impact on possible outcomes of missions, maybe even tied to factions.

Make them matter more in away missions, where profession opens other options in missions (wich could also be used as a positive motivation factor for varied teams of actual players for story missions).

I mean, this is one of the oldest actual mechanics in the game, being almost unchanged since launch. Ok ok... that may be an understatement, but I think it's fair to say that BO's hasn't really gotten the attention they may deserve.

Your thoughts?
Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I have bridge officers that have been with me from the beginning... exept replaced by purple ones and/or SROs. I go to the Tailor, save the boff costume, bring up the newly bought boff, and put the old outfit on her again. Good as new. :) I call it the Meimei Test: 'A boff becomes the same when you can't tell the difference any more.' :p
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    anazonda wrote: »
    So... Bridge officers.

[SNIP]

Make them matter more in away missions, where profession opens other options in missions (wich could also be used as a positive motivation factor for varied teams of actual players for story missions).

[/SNIP]

+10,000.

I remember that bit aboard Sela's ship where you actually assign your BOFFs to career-appropriate tasks, so it CAN be done! It's annoying AF that every piddly little peon task every NPC needs doing gets done manually by a FLEET ADMIRAL!

Random hobo on street: "Hey, you! Yeah you! Get me a cup of coffee! And make it snappy!"
    Level 65 Dahar Master, Hero Of The Empire and Saviour Of The Galaxy: "Yes, sir. Cream and sugar?"

It's outrageous. WTF are our officers FOR, if not to do their d*mn jobs!? A Commander's job is delegation, not personally doing every little thing. You determine what needs doing, and give the right orders to the right people.

Dead body to scan? Anomaly to scan? Injured guy to patch up? Don't look at me, I'm Tactical. Hey, Lt. BOFF-in-blue, you're up!

Console to calibrate? Alien console to rewire? Com frequencies to cycle through? I'm Tactical. Hey, Scotty, come work your magic on this POS!"

And these things happen over and over and over again. The career-specific tasks in Mine Enemy COULD be done by BOFFS. You have one with you anyway, why can't he do one of the tasks you can't, if his career is different from yours? The NPC in need says, "Sorry, but I won't trust this delicate equipment to a non-scientist," and my Science Officer says, "You know, I'm standing right here..."

The absolute worst though, is that stupid mission on the Talaxian asteroid with Neelix. You, an ADMIRAL, are literally running all over the place getting ingredients for soup. Really?! That's not an episode of Star Trek, it's an episode of "Little Rascals"! Beam down a fricking yeoman, for crying out loud! Or even better, just hit an intercom and tell the idiots who have the spices, that if they want dinner, to get their butts over to the chef, pronto, because that moron forgot to shop. Donate your alien paprika, or starve, you stupid goofballs!

People complain about the ground combat in STO. But the ground writing is worse.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    That was an unexpected, but certainly relevant way of putting it..

This really just adds to my OP, about how underused they really are.

I really think Cryptic should consider expanding the systems that are "getting older", and where better to start than with one of the oldest systems?
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    I mean, this is one of the oldest actual mechanics in the game, being almost unchanged since launch. Ok ok... that may be an understatement, but I think it's fair to say that BO's hasn't really gotten the attention they may deserve.

They have less since launch. Back then, you could set voices for them that played when they used Abilities. That was removed in the early days, either shortly before or shortly the game left Beta.

It would be nice if you could something more with them. I did like that some of them were given personalities during the expansions. I could go for more of that.

Being able to upgrade them and/or change their Traits would make for a good use of Dilithium.
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    This might actually be a half decent dil sink. Buy upgrades with dil. Neverwinter has an upgrade system for companions, maybe that can be ported over somehow.
  • dacia#9992 dacia Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I love this idea. Which is why it will probably be a Zen store item one day.

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    Long ago, there was talk of allowing your boffs to command other ships you own, giving the player the ability to lead a small fleet in content.

IIRC, it was abandoned because it would be too demanding in terms of server stability etc.

But after that, they did add the Vanguard mechanic for Jem'Hadars, many new distress beacons were added and stuff like the Altamid drone and more recently the extra pet that comes with one of the lockbox ships.

Maybe this is something they can try to look into again.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    jslyn wrote: »

They have less since launch. Back then, you could set voices for them that played when they used Abilities. That was removed in the early days, either shortly before or shortly the game left Beta.

It would be nice if you could something more with them. I did like that some of them were given personalities during the expansions. I could go for more of that.

Being able to upgrade them and/or change their Traits would make for a good use of Dilithium.

The voice thing must have been removed sometime before Beta Dec before launch, cause I joined the Beta program then, and that was not an option then. I do understand the reasoning though.
    alonar wrote: »
    This might actually be a half decent dil sink. Buy upgrades with dil. Neverwinter has an upgrade system for companions, maybe that can be ported over somehow.

There you go Cryptic... A Dil sink, hence a Zen sink... Start working on it :)
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2021
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I have bridge officers that have been with me from the beginning... exept replaced by purple ones and/or SROs. I go to the Tailor, save the boff costume, bring up the newly bought boff, and put the old outfit on her again. Good as new. :) I call it the Meimei Test: 'A boff becomes the same when you can't tell the difference any more.' :p

Yea I do that as well.
    0zxlclk.png
This discussion has been closed.