test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AoY Recruit Event? Time to fix Connie interior, please!

vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
Now that everyone and their goldfish are getting TOS characters for the recruitment event, wouldn't it seem like the perfect time to fix the long-broken Constitution interiors? Specifically:

1. Seated people (other than on bridge) are not sitting in chairs, but on the decks. This would seem like a passive resistance protest sit-in, were it not for the fact that their legs from the knees down are merged into the deck! (Of course, the same is true for the 2 Romulan visitors in the First City, but that could be attributed to the cruelty of the Klingon judge next to them.)

2. Officers on the bridge. Who ARE these guys? And where is my crew? Placeholder officers galor, and my roster (other than a few) nowhere to be seen. One of my tactical BOFFs is (very properly) at the Helm, but why is some random redshirt at Navigation? I have another Tac (2 in fact). Both 23c. characters, too. Multiple Eng and Sci BOFFs, as well, but fill-ins are used in 2 of the other stations as well.

At least TELL us what the placement requirements are. Are they taken from your Station tab on your ship's status? From your DOFF Department Heads? From consulting with Kirok's medicine bag? Please explain!

Or even better, please fix it.

Here is a link to a blueprint, showing the various station assignments:

JkRLZ.png

You've actually got the right locations for crew placements in game, but the 2 at the Helm/Navigation console (11 and 12) should both be Tactical officers, not engineers.

Please tell us how the game chooses which officers are displayed where! Pretty please?!

And please fix the in-deck people. They are really disturbing!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    While you're at it you could try to mail the remnants of Totally Games about the placements of stations on Star Trek Bridge Commander. They'd love to know, I bet.

Joke aside, I get why some people want stuff to be as accurate as possible, but that would also mean the TOS-ships would be made of sheetwood and metal on the outside, and mostly plastic, cheap leather, cardboard and styrofoam on the inside.

Nimoy was probably very annoyed of being in a constant fire-hazard as a heavy smoker back then.

If they'd ever touch an existing interior in the game, it's because they need it for a new or reworked episode. Aside from a few small nitpicky things, they didn't remaster any of the TOS-era episodes from AoY.
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I'd just be happy if they fixed that hole around the doors in the shuttle bay that's been there since they retouched the TOS missions.
    I mean, not to sound overly privileged here, but those interiors were paid for with real money.
  • darthoricidarthorici Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    How about the crew sitting in the floor.

• vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    While you're at it you could try to mail the remnants of Totally Games about the placements of stations on Star Trek Bridge Commander. They'd love to know, I bet.

Joke aside, I get why some people want stuff to be as accurate as possible, but that would also mean the TOS-ships would be made of sheetwood and metal on the outside, and mostly plastic, cheap leather, cardboard and styrofoam on the inside.

Nimoy was probably very annoyed of being in a constant fire-hazard as a heavy smoker back then.

If they'd ever touch an existing interior in the game, it's because they need it for a new or reworked episode. Aside from a few small nitpicky things, they didn't remaster any of the TOS-era episodes from AoY.

So, did you just look at the diagram and assume I was nitpicking accuracy without actually reading the post? I wasn't asking for things to be as accurate as possible, I was asking for:

1. BOFFs not to be in the floor on other interior decks (all sitting ones are, except on the bridge), and
    2. My own BOFFS to be assigned to the Bridge instead of random filler BOFFs. Or at least info on how BOFFs are chosen for placement, to see if there is any way we can affect this (DOFF department head selection, etc.).

The Bridge diagram was just to show which class NPC should be where. But since (except for non-Tacs at Helm/Navigation) they got career-station matching right, I should probably have skipped the diagram altogether.
    darthorici wrote: »
    How about the crew sitting in the floor.

Yes! See point 1.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited September 2021

The TOS interior sets did not use much plastic except for the buttons, the chairs were standard office (not desk) chairs, they did not use any styrofoam or cardboard (those are weird myths apparently started by TOS haters). All the interiors were built with either plywood or drywall (the bridge was mostly plywood since it had to be lightweight but strong enough to withstand the sections being moved around so the cameras had an opening to shoot through.

In fact, it was possible to stand on the empty sections of the bridge stations to clean the upper "screens" (though the transparencies in them were changed from the back, not the front). The sets were stronger than the ones they used on Andromeda (where there was a running joke about the numerous times that Sorbo broke a rail or some other part of the set).

And they were not particularly flammable either, if they were they would have burnt down from the extremely hot lights they used back then (the surfaces of the stations would get so hot that the plastic jewel buttons would soften slightly, especially at Uhura's station since it was lit the brightest and they could not sneak and turn it off to cool like the others since it was almost always visible).
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    kurtron wrote: »
    I'd just be happy if they fixed that hole around the doors in the shuttle bay that's been there since they retouched the TOS missions.

They are aware of the shuttlebay issue. I actually shared a screenshot with Kael to pass on to the team.
    The sets were stronger than the ones they used on Andromeda (where there was a running joke about the numerous times that Sorbo broke a rail or some other part of the set).

Didn't they also have an on screen running joke about Captain Hunt being compared to a Greek God, and even had a joke with him pulling out a wig and sword from a compartment one time, kidna referencing his time playing Hercules? (I know Herc avoided using swords but he did have longer hair.)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    vorwoda wrote: »
    So, did you just look at the diagram and assume I was nitpicking accuracy without actually reading the post?

I did, don't worry - it's just that interiors are almost never touched again once they're in-game. Most of what I wrote was joking in nature. Cryptic said multiple times that it doesn't pay off for them to make/re-do interiors, and they really only ever do so when a new episode or a re-worked one demands it.

The final time they ever tried to sell an interior was the ENT-D-one, and that's been ingame for like 6(?) years now. The latest interior added was the Disco-bridge I think? And they made a refined KDF-interior for the klingon tutorial, not sure if it's entirely new - it comes off more like a reworked BoP-bridge with matching hallways.

rattler2 wrote: »
    Didn't they also have an on screen running joke about Captain Hunt being compared to a Greek God, and even had a joke with him pulling out a wig and sword from a compartment one time, kidna referencing his time playing Hercules? (I know Herc avoided using swords but he did have longer hair.)

Yeah. Some of those references and fan-service-jokes were pretty bad for the show tho. Over time, Sorbo wanted the show more and more to be about himself, too.

Even in the first season Hunt already had super-strength, because his mother was genetically engineered to work in high-G environments. I don't quite get how genetic engineering and having children works, so I can't tell if you'd actually inherit anything like that.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    The final time they ever tried to sell an interior was the ENT-D-one, and that's been ingame for like 6(?) years now. The latest interior added was the Disco-bridge I think? And they made a refined KDF-interior for the klingon tutorial, not sure if it's entirely new - it comes off more like a reworked BoP-bridge with matching hallways.

Honestly, IMO, they made a mistake selling the Galaxy interior by itself for 2000 Zen. If they made a bundle like the TOS and DS9 bundles with it for 2000 zen then I feel it would have been better.

Even in the first season Hunt already had super-strength, because his mother was genetically engineered to work in high-G environments. I don't quite get how genetic engineering and having children works, so I can't tell if you'd actually inherit anything like that.

I thought he was from a heavy gravity world originally. And even if his mother was engineered to work on one, if he was born on one odds are his body would have adapted on its own to the higher gravity due to needing stronger muscles just do do normal things like walking. Kinda no different than more exercise in a way.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    The final time they ever tried to sell an interior was the ENT-D-one, and that's been ingame for like 6(?) years now.

It was added about four years ago for the 30th anniversary of TNG. (The same occasion that brought us Geordi LaForge properly in-game for "Beyond the Nexus".)
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    So, did you just look at the diagram and assume I was nitpicking accuracy without actually reading the post?

I did, don't worry - it's just that interiors are almost never touched again once they're in-game. Most of what I wrote was joking in nature. Cryptic said multiple times that it doesn't pay off for them to make/re-do interiors, and they really only ever do so when a new episode or a re-worked one demands it.

Thanks. And sorry if I was a bit snippy in response! I know they've always said it's not worth redoing interiors, but this is a rerun of the TOS event for the 55th anniversary, and they reworked bits of the tutorial for it...would getting butts out of floors and into chairs really break their budget, when new players are being tempted to get the TOS starter pack for their AoY toons? You know, so that the first impression of purchased items doesn't make new customers wonder about C-Store item quality right off the bat?

But even if they don't touch a thing, would it kill them to tell us what mechanic the game uses for assigning BOFFs to specific locations? Is there one chair on each bridge (for example) which is reserved for the first Tactical BOFF you get? Or is it for the BOFF assigned to the first Tactical station on your stations tab? Or is it for your Tactical DOFF department head? Or for the first BOFF you promoted? Or for the first character with an odd number of vowels in his or her last name? Why are some seats filled by ringers on one captain's ship, while another captain of the same rank and faction - using the same ship and bridge - has his own BOFFS in every seat?

• edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Reworking interiors and fixing bugs in an existing interior are not necessarily the same thing. (Much of the work in making interiors or bridges after all is the 3D modelling, which is already done for the TOS interior.)

As far as Andromeda, the gag real DVD extras have a few Hercules references, (like Kevin Sorbo picking up a fake boulder) and in the pilot there's a scene where Harper says Dylan is "like a Greek god." There is also at least one gag real scene where a part of the set did break.

As far as where BOFFs appear on ship bridges, that would probably be setup by whoever did the code for that particular bridge, and different bridges may have been setup by different people. There aren't a ton of interiors, but they may have been done by different people too. (The original Fed interiors after all were around at least as far back as 2013.)
This discussion has been closed.