HEY Cryptic!!! FIX OUR UNIFORMS!!!

This is just a quick rant and a plea to Cryptic. After all the patches this week, I've finally reached a limit when it comes to these visually bugged uniforms. I've noticed these more on my female toons using the feminine stance. The antares and sierra uniforms have issues with overlapping textures where the female models skin will protrude through the uniform like it has holes. The rank pins and badges sink in and out of the uniforms as well. Especially in the feminine stances. This happens on both regular and open versions. The Dyson, Miner, LOBI mirror universe uniforms have issues as well. On male toons the short sleeved miner uniform is horribly bugged. It's ridiculous now especially with how limited our choices already are in game. So PLEASE Cryptic, pretty please with a cherry on top, please fix the uniform visuals. Right now you guys are doing an AOY, TOS event, yet the TOS uniforms are also messed up on the female toons on feminine stances where the rank on their wrists are cut in half.

Comments

• maniac20#5251
    maniac20#5251 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    lol Also put a female talaxian in the 23rd century KDF shorts and see what happens. There are a number of tailor bugs that need fixing but keep getting ignored.
  • fred26291#2759
    fred26291#2759 Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited February 27
    Redacted.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • monkeyboy11a
    monkeyboy11a Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Its incredibly annoying. They're having a mirror universe event and the damn uniforms for it are screwed up too. Bortasque and all the sleeveless. The Disco boots, Its vexing. When the Odyssea uniforms get bugged I'm gone man.
  • darthorici
    darthorici Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    My klingon in starfleet cant were the 2410 sleeveless Odyssey top. Do to her upper body disapers. It's been that wat for almost a year.
  • rattler2
    rattler2 Member Posts: 55,529 Community Moderator
    Last I spoke with Kael, bringing up the clipping on some of the mirror uniforms, I even mentioned the longstanding clipping with the Mirror Bortasqu' (a uniform I use on my KDF Orion female). He literally said that they were talking about that right then and there.

So it does sound like they are aware of the issue.

If anyone would like to provide some screenshots of other issues involving uniforms... I'll see if I can pass them along for the Character Artists to look into.

And character art is separate from ship art.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • corinthalas
    corinthalas Member Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    One of my captains literally cannot wear any of the sleeveless terran uniforms. Every single one of them has clipping issues. And yet, the versions with sleeves are fine. I also noticed the shorts from the risian explorer outfit has clipping issues too, though it's small and barely noticeable. What's bizarre is that all of this just appeared out of nowhere. They were fine. Now they're not. I'm guessing this has something to do with the recent revisions to character models?
  • rattler2
    Thats my guess as well. And how the sleeveless tops are modeled vs the non sleeveless. Don't quote me on it, but I think the sleeveless ones are actually modeled on top of a "manaquin" model that is our character's torso, so they're actually two different elements, vs the sleeved ones that are probably actually modeled onto the "manaquin" as part of the torso.

Main reason for that theory is that, like the skirts, at a certain zoom point where the player model goes transparent to see through it, you kinda get a double ghost effect from the sleeveless, showing that there's another model underneath that top. You don't get that from the sleeved ones.
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
  • keepcalmchiveon
    keepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 3,994 Arc User
    maybe have a sticky thread for uniform images with issues?
    meh

• corinthalas
    corinthalas Member Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Thats my guess as well. And how the sleeveless tops are modeled vs the non sleeveless. Don't quote me on it, but I think the sleeveless ones are actually modeled on top of a "manaquin" model that is our character's torso, so they're actually two different elements, vs the sleeved ones that are probably actually modeled onto the "manaquin" as part of the torso.

Main reason for that theory is that, like the skirts, at a certain zoom point where the player model goes transparent to see through it, you kinda get a double ghost effect from the sleeveless, showing that there's another model underneath that top. You don't get that from the sleeved ones.

What's odd is that they don't have to do it that way. The character models are actually broken into chunks: head and neck, torso and hips, arms, legs, hands, and feet. They can freely swap and replace pieces where they need to, in addition to culling parts of the mesh that can't be seen. So they don't even have to worry about parts of meshes that are clipping through the way they are now. In fact, that's how many 'clothing' systems work -- they have different 'special-case' versions of various body parts to deal with clipping issues, and use those versions in place of the default parts where necessary. Like with shorts -- the leg part of the mesh doesn't continue into the shorts themselves. It terminates where the two meshes meet. The shorts completely replace the hip, waist, and thighs part of the base character mesh.

Hell, I did something similar with my own stuff, and I quickly realized that trying to keep the base mesh present at all times was an exercise in futility, no matter how hard I tried. Even when the two meshes share the exact same topology and vertex weights, when they're deformed by animations and poses, there will invariably be pinching and folds, so one mesh intersects the other, creating clipping errors. It was just easier to use visibility groups to hide the parts of the mesh that couldn't be seen, and where the clothing mesh had significantly different topology, create a clone of the body mesh to merge perfectly with the clothing mesh and get rid of any overlap entirely.

And this will remain true for the foreseeable future until game engines start supporting real-time full-body cloth sims. That's still a ways out yet.
  • darthorici
    darthorici Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Last I spoke with Kael, bringing up the clipping on some of the mirror uniforms, I even mentioned the longstanding clipping with the Mirror Bortasqu' (a uniform I use on my KDF Orion female). He literally said that they were talking about that right then and there.

So it does sound like they are aware of the issue.

If anyone would like to provide some screenshots of other issues involving uniforms... I'll see if I can pass them along for the Character Artists to look into.

And character art is separate from ship art.
    https://www.deviantart.com/darthyodasith/art/Screenshot-2020-10-22-18-19-49-858913282

• rattler2
  • paradox#7391
    paradox#7391 Member Posts: 1,302 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    The antares and sierra uniforms have issues with overlapping textures where the female models skin will protrude through the uniform like it has holes.

I don't see an issue with this, apparently the ingame models lack nipples, to even be considered NSFW, BTW do female caitians need to wear tops, seems like their goods are covered by fur anyways.
  • spielman1
    spielman1 Member Posts: 1,182 Arc User

What about bugs with players saving uniforms and be able to use theme from multiple other characters not of that character i have that issue. My main character has saved uniforms that my alt character can access along with my TOS characters also.
  • rattler2
    spielman1 wrote: »
    What about bugs with players saving uniforms and be able to use theme from multiple other characters not of that character i have that issue. My main character has saved uniforms that my alt character can access along with my TOS characters also.

I've noticed that if they're the same species, they do seem to share outfits woth other characters because it saves them based on species.
  • spielman1
    spielman1 Member Posts: 1,182 Arc User
    spielman1 wrote: »

I've noticed that if they're the same species, they do seem to share outfits woth other characters because it saves them based on species.
    Still an issue though they might wanna look at it and go hmmm we need fix this save it in a different way or something just saying. Still an issue if you ask me