test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upcoming Changes to Minimum Requirements

135678

Comments

  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,952 Arc User
    This reminds of when they stopped supporting 32 Bit... Some uncertainity among users, and some people spewing strange things about lawsuits and how hard- and software in the past was better and what not.
    tvirx wrote: »
    You've had no updates to your system in two years. Sorry, but I call your bluff, the full version of Windows 11 isn't even out, just the beta. If you want to remain in the dark ages, by all means do so. But don't expect the rest of us to stay there to oblige you.

    Yes, but what of your nudes? YOUR NUDES?!

    They are very safe ;-)
    If you use what I am thinking you use to defend your nudes, I think I know how to get to your nudes.
    Well, in theory. I don't think I am that good of a flirt. :(
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • smoozolasmoozola Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Look, ever since the reasoning for the drop of foundry was that the programmer who developed it was gone, I am getting the weird vibe that you do not have any anymore.
    Needless to say, I dare not even ask about support for non dx drivers.
    Especially since that would make linux support indirectly viable again.
    Are we to assume that to get programmer support you'd have to ask perfect world entertainment to assign one to you?
    Yes, i know we have bug support, but graphics driver support? different thing?
    So, without sounding like a self entitled twat, what is actually goin on? I kept on shelling out money that i normally reserve for other things to make you aware that we would support Lobi/Box ships finally being available for zen.
    Instead your investors seem to go haywire thinking we are whales?
    If so, could you pls tell em that a lil bit of investing money in a cash cow is needed?
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    <snip>
    I do support Cryptic in making these changes. Means that they actually care about trying to get the game updated to take advantage of more modern technologies.

    Exactly, spot on.

    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 7,493 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Yeah I wasn't worried about the OS myself - am already on W10Pro - just did not know how my video card compared to the ones being quoted as the new benchmarks as I had not heard of them.

    And... there are no nudes of family members on my machine.
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 378 Community Moderator
    edited September 2021
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Basically, if you don't want to or can't afford to run Win10, then do the world a favor and switch to Linux or Ubuntu.

    Um, one minor point here? You're basically saying "would you like fruit or apples" here lol.
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
    latest?cb=20171202101458

    ...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • undedavengerundedavenger Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    bloomoomba wrote: »
    Well, all I can say is "I'm glad I guess that my computer died almost two years ago"... because otherwise, this'd cut me out entirely too. Also, I can say I'm thankful I have 'Pro' level on Windows so I don't have to worry about the bass-ackwards "BTW, we're rebooting your machine NOW" that comes with W10. Because I'd rather an OS that is usable without daily reboots for incidental OS tweaks than one that does, but we'll have to see if they've learned how to not do that when they unveil W12 in a few years (yes, I am aware W11's not out yet)

    I've been using Win 10 since release and that has literally never happened. You've got the dummy settings activated. Go into the Windows Update panel and change them to what you want.

    You can't blame other people because you can't use Windows.

    Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Basically, if you don't want to or can't afford to run Win10, then do the world a favor and switch to Linux or Ubuntu.

    Um, one minor point here? You're basically saying "would you like fruit or apples" here lol.
    If you say one or the other, "that guy" always has to pipe in and point out they are totally different OSes, so I just head them off now :expressionless:
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    bloomoomba wrote: »
    Well, all I can say is "I'm glad I guess that my computer died almost two years ago"... because otherwise, this'd cut me out entirely too. Also, I can say I'm thankful I have 'Pro' level on Windows so I don't have to worry about the bass-ackwards "BTW, we're rebooting your machine NOW" that comes with W10. Because I'd rather an OS that is usable without daily reboots for incidental OS tweaks than one that does, but we'll have to see if they've learned how to not do that when they unveil W12 in a few years (yes, I am aware W11's not out yet)

    I've been using Win 10 since release and that has literally never happened. You've got the dummy settings activated. Go into the Windows Update panel and change them to what you want.

    It waits a month before it starts getting shirty with you and doing the center screen notifications, and then waits another couple weeks before it forces the reboot. So if it does it, you have gone at least a month and a half ignoring dozens of notifications and dismissing pop ups rather than spending 30 seconds just rebooting.

    Sorry, but if it gets that far, it's not a Windows problem, it's a broken keyboard driver.
  • undedavengerundedavenger Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    bloomoomba wrote: »
    Well, all I can say is "I'm glad I guess that my computer died almost two years ago"... because otherwise, this'd cut me out entirely too. Also, I can say I'm thankful I have 'Pro' level on Windows so I don't have to worry about the bass-ackwards "BTW, we're rebooting your machine NOW" that comes with W10. Because I'd rather an OS that is usable without daily reboots for incidental OS tweaks than one that does, but we'll have to see if they've learned how to not do that when they unveil W12 in a few years (yes, I am aware W11's not out yet)

    I've been using Win 10 since release and that has literally never happened. You've got the dummy settings activated. Go into the Windows Update panel and change them to what you want.

    It waits a month before it starts getting shirty with you and doing the center screen notifications, and then waits another couple weeks before it forces the reboot. So if it does it, you have gone at least a month and a half ignoring dozens of notifications and dismissing pop ups rather than spending 30 seconds just rebooting.

    Sorry, but if it gets that far, it's not a Windows problem, it's a broken keyboard driver.

    Yup, that old "keyboard to chair interface error" seems to be the culprit on 99.9% of these outraged posts. Also known as an "ID-10-T" error.
    Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 10,647 Arc User
    (...)
    Well, in theory. I don't think I am that good of a flirt. :(

    But we know you tried pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • rex9234rex9234 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    im running a gtx 560
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    This reminds of when they stopped supporting 32 Bit... Some uncertainity among users, and some people spewing strange things about lawsuits and how hard- and software in the past was better and what not.
    tvirx wrote: »
    You've had no updates to your system in two years. Sorry, but I call your bluff, the full version of Windows 11 isn't even out, just the beta. If you want to remain in the dark ages, by all means do so. But don't expect the rest of us to stay there to oblige you.

    Yes, but what of your nudes? YOUR NUDES?!

    They are very safe ;-)
    If you use what I am thinking you use to defend your nudes, I think I know how to get to your nudes.
    Well, in theory. I don't think I am that good of a flirt. :(

    LOL. Any nudes of me on the web, were placed there by me.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • bloomoombabloomoomba Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I do love the two high-and-mighty "It didn't happen to me, therefor it must be pebcak" comments aimed at me because experiences differ. Until I went into settings available to W10 Pro to kneecap the forced downloads and "outside of in-use time windows" auto-reboots, my laptop spent a year rebooting itself overnight roughly weekly, and my desktop several months the same, and the desktop had a couple times where, because I was using it for more than the then-12 hour window of use time, I had to smack the "reboot later" because otherwise it was gonna reboot on the spot, while I was poking a game... so yeah, W10's auto reboot fetish is butts, and one reason I basically waited until replacing failing hardware to have to update the OS.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 3,881 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    bloomoomba wrote: »
    I do love the two high-and-mighty "It didn't happen to me, therefor it must be pebcak" comments aimed at me because experiences differ. Until I went into settings available to W10 Pro to kneecap the forced downloads and "outside of in-use time windows" auto-reboots, my laptop spent a year rebooting itself overnight roughly weekly, and my desktop several months the same, and the desktop had a couple times where, because I was using it for more than the then-12 hour window of use time, I had to smack the "reboot later" because otherwise it was gonna reboot on the spot, while I was poking a game... so yeah, W10's auto reboot fetish is butts, and one reason I basically waited until replacing failing hardware to have to update the OS.

    One way to stop that from interfering with game time is to do a restart when you get up or whatever and head it off before it starts putting popups up. Its not like any version of Windows could ever go for long periods of time without reboots the way that Linux does.

    And you might want to check your connection and diskspace, one reason for frequent updates is that the monthly update gets damaged somehow and it waits for the next "machine not in use" window to try again.
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    One way to stop that from interfering with game time is to do a restart when you get up or whatever and head it off before it starts putting popups up. Its not like any version of Windows could ever go for long periods of time without reboots the way that Linux does.

    And you might want to check your connection and diskspace, one reason for frequent updates is that the monthly update gets damaged somehow and it waits for the next "machine not in use" window to try again.

    Exactly.

    MS dialled back on being aggressive with updates. The experience I've had with Windows 11 (beta) is even better. But it depends on what settings you choose.

    Going full circle with this, I am surprised at the amount of moaning (yes it is) at the min requirements changing. Surely people support the idea of the game being able to take advantage of new technology. Cryptic can only do that by making changes that take advantage of what's here, now. Not what we used 12 years ago. You build forward, not backwards.

    Yes, I am sure someone will come back at this with pretty words and... Well, whatever. You can't defend a position of using a depreciated OS. You just can't. Change is inevitable. Roll with it, or roll elsewhere. Just don't expect the world to stand still and not change because it bothers you.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • sk3y3sk3y3 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    This is heartbreaking news for me.

    I have a powerful rig with RTX GPU. It runs even the latest titles I've tried on Ultra with the exception of the occasional indie title with zero optimization. I have an installed library of several thousand game titles as well as a host of applications for various media production purposes. I certainly have well beyond the hardware requirements cited in this notice. My system is wonderfully stable and there isn't anything I personally need or use that I am limited from as a result of my OS choice.

    That choice has been to remain on Windows 7x64. It has the best compatibility for all my apps. It is easy to manage and far more controllable for me. It is not a system built from the ground up to gather surveillance on the user so it technically easier to manage security for a technically capable person.

    Windows 10 is inherently a security risk despite "support" because the security vulnerabilities are built into the foundation of it. Even if you implicitly and inexplicably "trust" Microsoft with that level of intrusion into your every keypress you must be aware that including these vulnerabilities in the foundation of a technology makes them exploitable by "hackers" and anyone else eventually and potentially. It is just bad tech to put back doors and surveillance ("telemetry") into things.

    Now you can't speak about that reason for avoiding Windows 10 without people coming out of the woodwork to call you names or depict you as being mentally deficient, or saying "there's no reason", or "it's old", etc. There is very little in the way of even low budget software that doesn't include support of Windows 7.

    Aside from the "security" aspect of W10 there is also the compatibility aspect. I'm not going to run an entirely new or separate computer just for one app, in this case STO.

    I am disappointed because I just spent a bunch of money on STO out of love for it and the devs who have been doing such a good job (in my opinion) with it and I wanted to support it and see it continue. Then after a few days I wake to find I am about to be cut off unless I submit to installing something that would upend my entire workstation platform.

    I am glad that I saw the notice before I spent a whole bunch more cash, which I was about to do over some of the new irresistible sales, but I can't do that for something I will soon be cut off from accessing.

    I have spent way too much time over the last year in STO and I really love it. Very sad to be shut out this way!
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 891 Arc User
    sk3y3 wrote: »

    I have spent way too much time over the last year in STO and I really love it. Very sad to be shut out this way!

    You're not being shutout, you're choosing not to play after February 15th due to a personal choice.

  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,793 Arc User
    It's wild to me that people will let paranoia prevent them from using newer, better supported software.
  • richard1279richard1279 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    lordkasu wrote: »
    How about you do what better developers do, and let people at least try to log in with their older OS, instead of simply blocking it. I just spent money on the game, and I instantly regret it now. 8 and 10 are bad OSes, and I will not use them. I want my money back.

    You have to move on from DOS eventually.

    IS Star Trek Online playable on DOS? No? I didn't think so. This was a very foolish comment to a very valid argument!
    Post edited by richard1279 on
  • richard1279richard1279 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    smoozola wrote: »
    Look, ever since the reasoning for the drop of foundry was that the programmer who developed it was gone, I am getting the weird vibe that you do not have any anymore.
    Needless to say, I dare not even ask about support for non dx drivers.
    Especially since that would make linux support indirectly viable again.
    Are we to assume that to get programmer support you'd have to ask perfect world entertainment to assign one to you?
    Yes, i know we have bug support, but graphics driver support? different thing?
    So, without sounding like a self entitled twat, what is actually goin on? I kept on shelling out money that i normally reserve for other things to make you aware that we would support Lobi/Box ships finally being available for zen.
    Instead your investors seem to go haywire thinking we are whales?
    If so, could you pls tell em that a lil bit of investing money in a cash cow is needed?

    THIS! It's no secret players complain about this game being less entertaining and more about greedy cash grabbing.
  • richard1279richard1279 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    So I have to give up a more solid OS for a crappier OS, again, because the devs could not be bothered to idk, FIX the amount of problems the game already has, before adding a lot more problems?!?

    I still use windows 7, and everyone's fear mongering will not get me to change because up to now I have not had a single problem with security, or holes in the software, etc.

    I also checked my dxdiag. I'm currently running Directx 11, which Direct3D version 11 is a subset of.
    So, if the graphics is not a problem, then please explain to me why the short-sighted decision to force an operating system upgrade when, despite the fanbois here trying to defend it, the fact that people are raising concerns PROVES the playerbase still uses windows7.

    My security software DID flag STO's launcher for wanting to open Dxdiag to collect it's log. I denied the access, but I never raised concern here, even though I should have! I mean, WHY the hell are you TAKING information about my computer without being transparent and ASKING for it first (obviously with the option to decline such an invasion of security and privacy)?!?!?

    Your last forced Windows upgrade made it so I did not play STO for over a year and a half. You purposely made it so apple and linux OSes could no longer play STO. When I came back, I did not notice any graphical improvements (I compared screenshots from before and after the move to Windows 7), but I DID notice a heck of a lot of lagging, rubber-banding, and loss of connection when changing maps! There are many other issues and bugs/glitches (or as the playerbase now calls them: "new game features!") that deserve your time, but you will not fix any of it. THIS is your idea of improving?!?

    Now, despite Windows7 being fully capable of handling Direct3D11, you are forcing yet another useless, and baseless (at least until one of you devs/managers can explain this in more detail) upgrade. You will be adding MORE issues/bugs/"new game features" into an already ailing patchwork of programming!

    And WHY the lack of opengl?

    I insinuated this before, and you're actions have strengthened my previous insinuations: How much is Microsoft paying you to do this? How long have you all been in bed with them?

    I am no where near being a whale, but I AM a lifetime subscriber. And now you are cutting off my ability to play a game I paid for, and whatever delusions you all may have, 300 USD (200 on sale) is STILL a lot of money, especially now. BAD move STO devs/management.
    1) Stop being so greedy.
    2) Fix the game before trying to add more problems to it!
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 891 Arc User

    IS Star Trek Online playable on DOS? No? I didn't think so. This was a very foolish comment to a very valid argument!

    It's not really any surprise the joke went right over your paranoia fueled mind.
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    lordkasu wrote: »
    How about you do what better developers do, and let people at least try to log in with their older OS, instead of simply blocking it. I just spent money on the game, and I instantly regret it now. 8 and 10 are bad OSes, and I will not use them. I want my money back.

    Could be worse you could have been me, replaced my iMac when Cryptic supported that platform only for them to pull the plug 3 months later. Using Windows 7 and having to upgrade to 10 which has a nasty habit of spiking my harddrive to 100% on certain ground maps but also outside of game if using Edge. All diagnostic runs say hardware is ok and it's a Win 10 thing.
    [url=https://imgur.com/Mp3E8EH][img]http://i.imgur.com/Mp3E8EH.jpg[/img][/url]

    “If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re having Lag or Rubber-banding,” “then you ain’t playing Star Trek Online.”
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 891 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I am no where near being a whale, but I AM a lifetime subscriber. And now you are cutting off my ability to play a game I paid for, and whatever delusions you all may have, 300 USD (200 on sale) is STILL a lot of money, especially now. BAD move STO devs/management.

    Ah, the old "I'm a lifetime subscriber line". You're not being cut off. You have options but you choose not to use them. If you wish to stay with WIN 7 that's your choice, but the onus of not being able to play is on you.

    My security software DID flag STO's launcher for wanting to open Dxdiag to collect it's log. I denied the access, but I never raised concern here, even though I should have! I mean, WHY the hell are you TAKING information about my computer without being transparent and ASKING for it first (obviously with the option to decline such an invasion of security and privacy)?!?!?

    Perhaps you missed part 5E of the EULA that you agreed to when you installed the game?

    (e)You understand and agree that the Software may monitor and communicate information from your computer, including without limitation information relating to hardware capacity, modifications and the presence of unauthorized third party programs, including programs that enable or facilitate cheating or obtaining an unfair advantage of any kind, allow users to modify or hack any portion of the Software or the Service (other than as expressly authorized by PWE) or intercept or collect any information from or through the Software or the Service ("Unauthorized Programs"). If the Software detects an Unauthorized Program, then the Software may also communicate further information back to PWE regarding the user and the Unauthorized Program, including without limitation information about the users account and User ID and about the Unauthorized Program and its use. Further, you understand and agree that when you communicate with other players within a game or utilize any interactive features available through the Software or Service, such as instant messaging, forums or chat rooms, such communications and postings are transmitted through our servers, and we may, but are not obligated to, monitor all such communications and postings, including those that are designated as "private." You acknowledge that you have no expectation of privacy with respect to any such communications or postings, and you expressly consent to the monitoring and information collection described in this Section 5(d).
  • richard1279richard1279 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2021

    IS Star Trek Online playable on DOS? No? I didn't think so. This was a very foolish comment to a very valid argument!

    It's not really any surprise the joke went right over your paranoia fueled mind.

    It's not paranoia to want to have privacy and security, especially with your computer. Until Microsoft stops acting like windows is a service, rather than the property it is, and respects the laws, I may be forced to use it, but I don't have to be quiet about their illegal use of an EULA, or stop reminding people why they should not trust windows10. And to have STO management force this is all manner of wrong.

    Congrats on baiting me to reply. After seeing some of your other posts, I don't think I will be wasting my time looking at your postings on this topic anymore.
  • richard1279richard1279 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Okay, serious question for all those won't upgrade out of a dead OS because of security...do you all own a smart phone? Use google or amazon? Or any map programs that isn't on a CD-rom? Use Netflix, Hulu or any other streaming services? Congrats, all your security issues are moot as you GAVE it all away already. Welcome to the modern world...you have no privacy because you gave it all away so you didn't have to pay 5 bucks a month to use the internet (and no this doesn't mean your ISP).

    I think I agree with you? lol.

    The OS is my issue because of how Microsoft has tried to illegally enforce data mining. I don't know the rules about linking to other websites, but on answers.microsoft.com's website there's a post/question titled "Why does Microsoft falsely claim that Windows is a service to justify abusing Windows owners' rights?" that explains in detail how microsoft illegally tries to use the EULA to say that, basically, Windows10 is a product that you are purchasing or otherwise receiving a license to use a single copy of, but then goes on to say they have the right to all of the information the OS accesses, as if the OS is now a service.

    By extension, the smart phone and android/apple operating systems are property. BUT everything it connects to are services (all the stuff you listed, and more). But because of the way the OSes are dependent on the services, and the way these services and apps "require" access to data, unless laws are changed, one would be a fool to expect any kind of privacy while using a mobile device.

    If MS had created windows 10 with the same privacy and security concerns they used on windows7 and earlier OSes, then the only real concern I would have with upgrading is the stability of windows 10. But sadly this is not the case, and I wish the STO management would give this the proper consideration it needs before demanding/forcing the upgrade.
  • samargathasamargatha Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Well, as linux user I must say "I'll do it my own way, as usual, or move on." Anyway I will survive.
  • lww85larrylww85larry Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    this laptop has geforce mx150 with 2g vram will it still work?
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    Good Greif...

    People are still harping on about how secure Win 7 is. Ok, ok. Let's be clear: the only reason you have any security is because of a hardware solution - not the OS. So this is where I call you out and say that same solution can be used on Win 8, Win 8.1, Win 10 and yes even Win 11.

    Does Win 10 take over your PC and stop you from doing things because of constant updates? No. That aggressive policy died out several years ago. Users have far more control than they original had. Is Win 11 (and I am using it now, and have been since the first beta) secure? Yes. Is it aggressive and stopping you from using your machine or playing games? No. You choose when to apply your updates.

    But I'm going to stop with the facts, because the truth is - whilst you can lead a horse to water, your can't force them to drink it.

    Cryptic are doing the right thing, and they are doing the same thing other MMO's have done as well. Star Trek is about progress and moving forward, it baffles me that so called fans can be so stuck in the past that they want to stop progresses from happening.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
Sign In or Register to comment.