test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upcoming Changes to Minimum Requirements

Comments

• autobotgoldbugautobotgoldbug Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    My laptop barely makes it AND I will not buy a new laptop cause a game wants to change all the compatability.
    LAPTOPS ARE EXPENSIVE - money doesnt grow on trees! You is gonna loose lots of players with older equipment.

Exactly!
    are they going to start giving out free hardware & software?
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    A good rule of thumb about Nvidia cards is that the last two digits are the speed within the series, and anything to the left of that is the base series number. If you chop those last two digits off the 400 series is 4 and the 1050 that so many people seem to have here is 10, and 10 is higher than 4 so you're good.

The real problem is years away, when Microsoft kills Windows10 because Windows 11 requires circuitry that is touted as being "safer" (easier for Microsoft to extort money from users more like, but beside the point here) that the vast majority of computers today lack.

I would prefer if the game went to the open-standard, cross-platform Vulkan instead of the rapaciously proprietary and locked to a single OS DX system, but incremental changes are often cheaper than switching to an entirely different one so that is unlikely to ever happen unfortunately.

The only reason I put up with windows anymore is gaming, and Microsoft makes sure that they have a near-monopoly on that sector by breaking backwards compatibility often enough that cross-platform developers cannot keep up.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    captan2er0 wrote: »
    [SNIP]
    Windows 7 and earlier don't support the newer versions of DirectX.
    [/SNIP]

Not true, at least as far as DX 11 goes. Windows 7 DOES support DX 11. I have a WIN7 machine nearby, with an NVidia GeForce 9600 GT card and it runs DX 11 just fine (I just ran dxdiag again to double check and make sure that my memory of its specs was right).
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Basically what this means is that if you are using a computer that is running on technology from 11-12 years ago you really need to upgrade to a machine of todays standards. Plus people need to use some common sense that this generation of technology has been supported 2 years past its extension date so you can't really blame Cryptic for this being that they have kept their own development behind just to support anyone who actively was still using it.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Response to moderated post redacted. — Rattler
    Post edited by rattler2 on
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited September 2021
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    The EULA has stated from the beginning that specifications are subject to change. Whilst the EULA is not legally binding, it should be valid in this case. I do recall that there have been attempts to take MMO developers/publishers to court over increased spec's but I've never heard of one actually getting to court, let alone being settled in the complainants favour.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    edited September 2021
  • ghost2448ghost2448 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    Hi all, I think I am fine, I just want to double check, I have an Intel (R) Graphics 530, using Win 10 and have having checked DX diag Direct3D DDI: 12, so I don't have any issues with this, is that correct?
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    edited September 2021
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    Good grief. Windows 7 was de-supported by Microsoft over two years ago. If you're still using it... Good grief, your laptop/PC is open to all sorts of abuse.

No sympathy for those that refuse to move forward and embrace the future. Progress is not made by standing still.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
    edited September 2021

• ghost2448ghost2448 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    Can someone please answer the question I posed?
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @ghost2448 said:
    > Can someone please answer the question I posed?

Yes, your graphics card supports DX 12, you should not be locked out of playing. However, the card might be insufficient if the game's graphics become more demanding since it's not optimized for games. But if you can play right now you should be fine.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,450 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    edited September 2021
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • tvirxtvirx Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    You've had no updates to your system in two years. Sorry, but I call your bluff, the full version of Windows 11 isn't even out, just the beta. If you want to remain in the dark ages, by all means do so. But don't expect the rest of us to stay there to oblige you.

Yes, but what of your nudes? YOUR NUDES?!

tvirx wrote: »
    You've had no updates to your system in two years. Sorry, but I call your bluff, the full version of Windows 11 isn't even out, just the beta. If you want to remain in the dark ages, by all means do so. But don't expect the rest of us to stay there to oblige you.

Yes, but what of your nudes? YOUR NUDES?!

They are very safe ;-)
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    Good grief. Windows 7 was de-supported by Microsoft over two years ago. If you're still using it... Good grief, your laptop/PC is open to all sorts of abuse.

No sympathy for those that refuse to move forward and embrace the future. Progress is not made by standing still.

Progress is also not made by taking two steps backwards either. A good firewall with robust rules will stop any "abuse" coming through. I also had a chance to look under the hood of Windows 11. Boy, it's even worse than Windows 10.

Windows 7 still remains to be more secure than Windows 10 in terms of privacy concerns. Good grief man, if you're using it... you might as well go to a nude beach with how exposed you are online. Almost every big tech ip know your identity and who you are, as well as any nudes you have on your computer. Good grief.

The dark ages is right, and running Win7 is basically spreading the plague.

There are multiple exploits in the wild right now that target Win7 (and Server 2008) that are in active use. If you are still running it and actively using it on the Internet, there's a decent chance that you're already contributing to a botnet somewhere and don't know it. I'm the Windows patch guy at our company, and we still push 2008 patches pretty much every month, and they are all critical severity ones (yes, MS does indeed still make patches for Win7/2008, but you have to pay them tens of thousands of dollars per year to get them). There is one new crit this month alone (CVE-2021-40444), which can allow direct control of the system by just visiting a web site that has some code embedded in it.

Basically, if you don't want to or can't afford to run Win10, then do the world a favor and switch to Linux or Ubuntu.
  • kuraitsukaikuraitsukai Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Chip foundries are expected to start meeting demand in early 2022, at which time graphics card prices will start to fall as supply is increased. That's the optimistic side of it but hey that's what we're looking at.

As for all these OS arguments. Windows 10 will not randomly reboot on you whenever it wants. Doesn't do it on me. It waits until it knows I'm not using my computer, or until I initiate the update manually be restarting or shutting down. You can also block many of the "spyware" features of Windows 10 with ease if you just dig around a little bit. Windows 10 is far more secure than Windows 7, no matter how much you think a firewall can save you.

Oh and yeah, Win 10 and 11 are free. You can install and use to your hearts content without ever activating it, you just can't personalize it. Even then Microsoft has continued to allow people to upgrade their windows 7/8 licenses to Windows 10, it's not overly common but it does happen here and there.

I do support Cryptic in making these changes. Means that they actually care about trying to get the game updated to take advantage of more modern technologies.
This discussion has been closed.