test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ARC Drops directX10 support

"As of February 15, 2022, Star Trek Online and Neverwinter will no longer be supporting Windows 7 and Direct3D Feature Level 10."

I play old games because my desktop is old! Goddamn-it ARC, what makes you think I'll keep playing old TRIBBLE games after I upgrade my desktop?

I could repurpose my DX11 work laptop... or just quit...

"Starting in November 2021, if you are running on Windows 7 or using a Video Card with a Direct3D Feature Level 10, you will be informed of the upcoming incompatibility via the launcher."

How bout an incentive to continue playing via launcher. I been wanting to play Crysis 3 anyway, If I get a new desktop I have a huge list that would supersede Star Trek Online.
Forum-Signature.jpg

Comments

• volticuavolticua Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    bad decision. for me time to find something else. this time finally comes
  • List of games that would supersede Star Trek Online If I upgrade my computer:
    Destiny 2
    BioShock 3
    BorderLands 3
    Crysis 3
    Darksiders 3 and Genesis
    Dead Space 3
    Far cry 3 and 4
    Killing Floor 2
    Dishonored 2

for real tho, I could go on and on and on... maybe this is a blessing in disguise. It's time to upgrade my Desktop. Thanks ARC, message received loud and clear, kill the tribble out of this tribbling game.
    Forum-Signature.jpg
  • solidusraccoon#9602 solidusraccoon Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    westmetals wrote: »
    "you will be informed of the upcoming incompatibility via the launcher."

How bout an incentive to continue playing via launcher.

It's not ARC making the changes, it's Cryptic. They're upping the minimum requirements of the game itself... so simply logging in via the launcher instead of ARC would make no difference.

your missing the point, arc/cryptic is dropping dx10 support! The "launcher" has nothing to do with what I am saying. O.o

However ARC is the one I send money to when I buy Zen... So my complaint should probably be directed towards them. ARC is losing a paying customer.
    Forum-Signature.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    ARC is the name of the platform, not the company. This is like adressing Steam in a complaint and not Valve.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ... I should have known forum is filled with a bunch of idiots arguing semantics. When I give money to Start Trek Online it goes to ARC not cryptic. Doesn't matter, neither company will get any more $ from me. Enjoy the thread I'm out.

Drop support of old machines for an old game seems like a killer move for who the TRIBBLE ever working at what the TRIBBLE ever company he or she works at.
    Forum-Signature.jpg
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    List of games that would supersede Star Trek Online If I upgrade my computer:
    Destiny 2
    BioShock 3
    BorderLands 3
    Crysis 3
    Darksiders 3 and Genesis
    Dead Space 3
    Far cry 3 and 4
    Killing Floor 2
    Dishonored 2

for real tho, I could go on and on and on... maybe this is a blessing in disguise. It's time to upgrade my Desktop. Thanks ARC, message received loud and clear, kill the tribble out of this tribbling game.

I honestly don't see how they're going to kill the game, unless you think that there are THAT many people playing on directX 10 systems still.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    Your money goes to Cryptic Studios. Arc is the name of the platform which was created by Perfect World Entertainment. Cryptic Studios was bought by Perfect World Entertainment. Please stop flaming Cryptic for making this decision which is in line with the decisions Windows has made in regards to EOL support over the years.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,589 Arc User
    ... I should have known forum is filled with a bunch of idiots arguing semantics. When I give money to Start Trek Online it goes to ARC not cryptic. Doesn't matter, neither company will get any more $ from me. Enjoy the thread I'm out.

Drop support of old machines for an old game seems like a killer move for who the TRIBBLE ever working at what the TRIBBLE ever company he or she works at.

Most people want STO to not look like a 10 year old game. Dropping support the 14 year old DX 10 API so they don't have to do maintain two different code bases is only logical.

I would suggest looking at your hardware... is it really not capable of DX 11 ? If your seriously playing a 14 year old machine with a GPU incapable I would say its probably time to stop trying to play current games. (which is what STO is regardless of when it launched... MMOs evolve) If your hardware is capable and your just some Windows 7 zealot. Really allergic to a Windows 10 upgrade. Linux isn't officially supported... but STO runs under proton with no real issue I'm aware of. Install your favorite flavor or Linux and install Steam and one click install STO from their. (if you don't want to figure out how to install it without steam anyway)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Rant about dropping support for 14 year old hardware: check
    Rant about dropping support for end-of-life OS with no security updates for 2 years: check
    Threat to stop playing: check

Bingo!
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I could repurpose my DX11 work laptop... or just quit...

Even DX11 is pretty old by now. Win10 and DX12 are also about 5 years old now and even Win10 recently received a termination-date (MS will end support for that in 2025).

And even more important than DirectX would be the matter of still running an OS that doesn't even receive security-updates (or any updates, for that matter) anymore. Which isn't the best of ideas.

There are even technical reasons to require Windows 10. For example, detecting that two monitors have different scaling settings is not possible without using Windows 10 functions. Our own application has functions with two sets of code, one for 10 and another for older OS.

Cryptic frees up development and QA resources by dropping support for dead platforms.
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Does anyone know how this will effect wine/proton for linux users? I'm not sure what it is using. I wonder if this will improve things and get rid of bugs or will it make it unplayable for me. Or both! 8)

I'm on a phenom 1100t/am3 system, but the video card is a 1060 3gb. Hopefully the Vram limitations won't be a problem.
  • tvirxtvirx Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    It's a crying shame that Cryptic dropped support for OS-808x (CGA) support as well. **Shrug** I guess I'll play Coleco Football instead.
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,589 Arc User
    aftulus wrote: »
    Does anyone know how this will effect wine/proton for linux users? I'm not sure what it is using. I wonder if this will improve things and get rid of bugs or will it make it unplayable for me. Or both! 8)

I'm on a phenom 1100t/am3 system, but the video card is a 1060 3gb. Hopefully the Vram limitations won't be a problem.

Proton would be using the DX 11 path now... so no effect. If your playing STO on Linux today I don't see how this would change anything for the worse anyway.
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    How DARE Cryptic drop support for an OS that has been EOL for close to 2 years now and is nothing more than one giant security exploit at this point! HOW DARE THEM, I say!!
  • alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Windows 7 supports enything that windows 8/8.1 supports including DX11, so why they drop windows 7 support?
    jaturnley wrote: »
    How DARE Cryptic drop support for an OS that has been EOL for close to 2 years now and is nothing more than one giant security exploit at this point! HOW DARE THEM, I say!!
    MS will support W7 and W8.1 until 2023.
    edited September 2021
    alexvio1 wrote: »
    Windows 7 supports enything that windows 8/8.1 supports including DX11, so why they drop windows 7 support?
    jaturnley wrote: »
    MS will support W7 and W8.1 until 2023.

Source? Are you talking about some business-specific paid plan for limited support of corporate PCs that doesn't apply to normal users?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962

"Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020"

Also, 7 supports DX11 but not a many Win32 APIs that require 10+.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I keep playing games because I find them fun, not because I haven't upgraded my hardware.

(and really, the big problem is old games not being supported to run on newer systems. There's a good number of games that I'd still play, if it weren't for the fact they have issues with current setups. Fallout 3 doesn't like Win10 for instance. And the massive % of my Steam library that no longer can even launch on my Mac, because Apple doesn't believe in backward compatibility and nuked all support for 32bit software.)
    Direct X support ending is of less concern than no longer supporting Windows 7. If what I'm reading is correct, I'm not going to be able to play AT ALL.

There are apparently still ways to get a free upgrade to 10 if you google for it.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    I'm closing this thread because it's little more than an "i quit" rant. If folks want to discuss the new changes, feel free to make a new thread. but keep the "i quit" rants out of it.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.