test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unlock New Slots for your Captain!

2»

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    skk1701j wrote: »
    This would work way better as a dil sink. Nothing on ground is hard enough to warrant a C-Store purchase of this nature, but I'd def grind it to get on my main and alts if it were dil.

Anyway if it's used like experimental ship upgrades I'll just wait for it show up an event reward.
    This would actually be very BAD as a dil sink because good dil sinks are something you need to invest in over and over. You only need these tokens once per character, and typically speaking most MMO players only have about 3 characters.

STO is based on multiple characters. With the Time I have 8+

fed, kling, rom, delta recruit, temporal recruit, gamma recruit, discovery, kling recruit
    But how active are they and how many would we consider using upgrades on? Speaking for myself only I am maxed out on characters but I would use the Zen upgrade on 1 character only. If there was an Zen unlock then dill to buy extra character I would consider more but even then not the entire batch of toons.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    too expensive, 20 euros (19,99), no way.
    I would like to buy the kit module slot for my engineers, for the drones, because they are really fun, but i'm not interested by the other stuff.

Cryptic should learn how to use microtransactions in this game instead of wanting to sell overpriced stuff.
    small profits can create huge fortunes.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    More power creep has zero appeal to me to begin with.

The cost is also too high to make this have any kind of attraction to altoholics who don't dedicate themselves to a single character. It strikes me as overpriced and aimed at tapping the fans of min-maxxing and the less aware victims of powercreep based peer pressure. This would have been a pretty effective but short term dil sink given the inevitable slew of ships that will be pushed over the next wee while. But a healthier exchange goes against the mindset of greedonomics so its a zen thing, got to keep that flatline from wavering.
  • novemberyankeenovemberyankee Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    Will "alien" toons also be able to get this, considering they already have a bonus trait for space and ground?

I'm not going to get into "is it worth it" money talk here, but being able to use an extra kit item sounds great to me. I'm not a huge ground guy, but being able to toss something at the enemy adds to the "cool" factor. There are a few kit items that make a solid ground fighter, and a few others that are like "heyyyy, what the heck did that guy just throw out there, I need that!"

Extra trait slot for each also sounds good by me. I always have a distant ping of regret that I didn't work on as my primary toon going toward a decade or so ago now when I first started playing.

Device slot is pretty useless and mostly get filled with expendables that I barely used, as aside from one or two "good" devices. I would have MUCH preferred another universal console, even for a tad bit more money.

Another idea I think of a a lot is having some universal seating floaters. That is, being able to add one extra slot to any of the assigned seating layout. Another great option would be to have the option of adding the ability to assign a specialization to any BOFF assigned seat. Not sure how much hassle it would be to work that into programming in the game mechanics, but things I would certainly be interested in.

PS. Someone also mentioned about a swith button for enviro suit. I would like to expand on that for a moment. Some of my rep visuals have gotten really glitchy, to the point that I am not even able to use them at the tailor anymore. (I had to upload an old save to wear it at all.) Some more interchangeable armor visuals would be great, but even among my rep armors, someone visuals will turn on and off while others will not. Just like weapons, this should be an option for EVERY armor, even if a lot of them are not a tailor item. A generic appearnce for all armor would be great, with certain special tailored armor only being available after pre-requisted are met for the unlock.

Well, there's my few pennies in the haystack anyhow. See ya out there on the fields of glory!

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Will "alien" toons also be able to get this, considering they already have a bonus trait for space and ground?

yes.
  • novemberyankeenovemberyankee Member Posts: 87 Arc User

yes.

Cool... Maybe I should really get to work on my alien again. I had created him as a sort of nemesis to my main toon. Both Starfleet, but the alien is a bit of a rogue in my own storyline. Raised together, the alien always seemed to play "second-fiddle" to his adopted brother. That only got worse as the human went on to become the "model" officer, while the alien found a lot of distrust against him which he felt was often the consequence of a sort of racist mentality against him by peers, even if it was more his own shifty nature. ... Things have changed now though, with the hardships my main toon has come to endure. Temporal displacements, serious injury, and the total loss of his beloved ship with hand-picked crew. The shame of a Captain losing a ship with all hands (save three trusted bridge officers) has taken a toll on his wit, humor, "Kirkish" ego, and left his sharp-as-a-tack lead from the front beginning to fade into the more mundane tasks he has chosen to take on in the Admiralty now rather than being the first on the line and leaving the paperwork to adjutants. How will this play out now in time is anyone's guess. The Terran influence of the new release seems to be a rich playing-ground to rekindle my own fictional action-drama.
  • oliverrogerr#5018 oliverrogerr Member Posts: 105 Arc User

the token doesn't release a new slot for the disco klingons, it steals the slot we buy from fleet, i hope you're aware of that and provide a fix for those who've used it.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    the token doesn't release a new slot for the disco klingons, it steals the slot we buy from fleet, i hope you're aware of that and provide a fix for those who've used it.

Oh wow if true that is a big deal! Definitely something that would need to be corrected.
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    Not a bad price. Going to upgrade all my characters today. I am a casual player, though, and only have 12 characters, so for me the price is well within reason.
    Not a bad price. Going to upgrade all my characters today. I am a casual player, though, and only have 12 characters, so for me the price is well within reason.

So with the current sale of -35% if my math is correct regarding your (12) characters that'll be 7800 zen so $78 dollars & you seemingly didn't even blink on the cost so good for you but I don't consider that a casual player.
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »

So with the current sale of -35% if my math is correct regarding your (12) characters that'll be 7800 zen so $78 dollars & you seemingly didn't even blink on the cost so good for you but I don't consider that a casual player.

To each their own, but I'm a truck driver who barely gets time to game due to being on the road a lot. That's casual, period. Those of you who spend 24/7 in the game and go apesh*t every time the server goes down for 5 minutes are the ones who aren't casual. LOL. But those of us who work for a living and don't eat, live, and breathe a frigging computer game are, to the gamer community, casuals. I'm a casual, but I'm a happy one with a career :)

Either way, my comment was clearly aimed at making my price not bad compared to some folks I know who have like 30-40 characters or more (I know a guy who has almost 100 characters). Now compare the cost for them and - yup - my price isn't bad. :) I definitely took advantage of the sale and bought the 3-packs. Better value that way.
    nommo#5819 wrote: »

To each their own, but I'm a truck driver who barely gets time to game due to being on the road a lot. That's casual, period. Those of you who spend 24/7 in the game and go apesh*t every time the server goes down for 5 minutes are the ones who aren't casual. LOL. But those of us who work for a living and don't eat, live, and breathe a frigging computer game are, to the gamer community, casuals. I'm a casual, but I'm a happy one with a career :)

Either way, my comment was clearly aimed at making my price not bad compared to some folks I know who have like 30-40 characters or more (I know a guy who has almost 100 characters). Now compare the cost for them and - yup - my price isn't bad. :) I definitely took advantage of the sale and bought the 3-packs. Better value that way.

lol no reason to bring up factors that have nothing to do with the sale & possible buying, but by all means if you need some internal justification keep accusing & labeling any other made up person & circumstance so you can look down upon. Good for you.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Am I the only one thinking that the selling of such a blatant power increase is an extremely worrying sign for Cryptic having run out of ideas on how to else monetize STO in a creative but no-power creep way? Have they not worked on a concept that could run along side "new ships" in case the interest for new ships reaches a point where only the biggest of spenders bother out of habit?

I admit I did toyed with the ides to get some of these for at least my KDF & Fed main though. As usual when I get the itch to throw some money at STO I logged on to my TOS luxury gal, beamed to the TOS interior I bought for her T6 lootbox Atlas and saw that after all the years the same bugs persisted; the clipping of the ship-deck NPCs that should sit in chairs, the lack of a full BOFF bridge crew (oh noes! goes to the bugs section, my virgin eyes, you sullied them!!11 - A.) Its there for years and B.) its not the point for me telling this) and I though "really? Throwing some money for a little power-creepy item to support THIS almost vindictive negligence!?".

I really REALLY like STO; otherwise it would not be the MMO I keep going back to every now and then. I had no problem spending for some silly something on occasion. Be it back then (obviously) when it was a have to buy and pay the monthly sub game, be it later in F2P times with occasionally getting an optional sub; slowly crawling to the 1000th day achievement which is now probably ~ 30 days short for forever (just my typical luck :P And no, an LTS for just the last step is out of question; even with 50% off).

But its getting harder. Well, not the practice of throwing money; but the justification for it. The combination of items I would love to give you money for (power creepy items like that obviously not; thats something you should gain by playing the game) and disregard of long time bugs; worse bugs on stuff you took and still take money for.

I probably would had just bought some zen and got a few of these if it where not for these other issues (not to forget other long standing ires like UI/command lag). But then again; if it where not for all of these I don't think you, Cryptic, would even be in the position to feel the need to monetize with such an item. Cryptic; as the most recent mission has proven again you are full of very talented and creative people. When I say "Be better!" you are one of the rare cases I truly thing is capable of actually doing such. You just have to want it yourself too though.
  • omega13#2190 omega13 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I enjoy any opportunity to improve my character!

When will we be able to build our characters to Level 70?!
    Klingon Chef: "Today is a good day to dine!"
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    coldnapalm wrote: »

You are worried about this when we got the widely popular X tokens already? In fact quite a few are calling for this to act MORE like those X tokens with an addition starship trait on top of the X one. So...yeah....

Yes. Yes, I am (and I do not like the X tokens much either). But at the same time I'm not. Its more a surprise for the perceived general lack of worry from all parties involved for something that I assume to be worrisome for something someone holds dear. Short version; long version would derail from the topic too much and I doubt there would be any public interest in it anyway so lets keep it that way.
This discussion has been closed.