test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Warning: Lower Decks uniform does NOT include the advertised pants

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
Ok, here is the deal:

1: the Lower Decks blog post showed this image:

57ddb0784985a64ef4e1f899c5c1bf9a1631150684.jpg

2: after purchasing the uniforms, people noticed there were no pants.

3: other people pointed out the pants show in the image are actually from the disco season 3 uniforms(which are a differently lobi store outfit).

4: Kael has now confirmed they did not actually make Lower Decks uniform pants because they were nearly identical to the disco season 3 pants, per Rattler's reply in this thread.

5: this means to create the outfit the Cryptic used to advertise the Lower Decks uniforms, you would have to buy both the Lower Decks uniforms and the Disco season 3 uniforms from the lobi store.

IMO, this is extremely shady behavior.

To be completely clear what I mean: it is fine for them to decide not to make the pants, especially if they already have some that are virtually identical in game. But to show a promo image of the uniforms that clearly implies they come with pants without also clearly explaining they don't is extremely misleading and deceptive.

But I'm not going to criticize them without also offering a solution, so here it is: give people who bought the uniforms the Disco Season 3 pants that were shown in the image. Problem solved.

Also, if they do a stream this week people are obviously going to ask about this. If you plan to do so, please don't ask the "wrong" question.

The question should not be "why doesn't the Lower Decks uniform have pants?", because we already know their answer: "because we already had a uniform in game with identical pants and didn't want to spend the development time creating the same thing again".

So because we already know that, the "right" question to ask them is: "if there were already identical pants in game, why didn't you include THOSE pants with the Lower Decks uniform?"

Obviously they can ignore the question if they don't want to answer it. But if they try to answer the 2nd question with the answer to the 1st question, they are strawmanning you and trying to ignore the real issue.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,007 Community Moderator
    Hopefully this is a bug and the pants really do exist, because if not it would be pretty misleading to show pants in the promo image that do not come with the uniform.

In their defense... do you really wanna see pantsless people showcasing uniforms if they don't come with them?
    And odds are if the pants are too similar to something we already have... what's the point in copying? Waste of resources to just add like one fold or something to make a new pair of pants.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Hopefully this is a bug and the pants really do exist, because if not it would be pretty misleading to show pants in the promo image that do not come with the uniform.

In their defense... do you really wanna see pantsless people showcasing uniforms if they don't come with them?
    And odds are if the pants are too similar to something we already have... what's the point in copying? Waste of resources to just add like one fold or something to make a new pair of pants.

I mostly agree, but I think if that's the case they should've included a disclaimer in the blog.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,007 Community Moderator
    Word from Kael: No pants, but shoes included.

So yea... we have stuff that already exists that is too close that they decided not to waste resources on that.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited September 2021

So yea... we have stuff that already exists that is too close that they decided not to waste resources on that.

Wow. That is extremely, extremely misleading and shady behavior on their part. To be 100% clear what I mean:

1: it is completely fine to NOT include pants in the uniform. We clear on that? Ok, keep going...

2: it is absolutely misleading and deceptive to show pants that are not included in the uniform in a promo image AND not CLEARLY explain it in the blog/uniform box.

It's the part that comes after the "and" above that is wrong/misleading. There is simply no excuse for that type of deception.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Also one of the special issue rifles is using an agony phaser skin instead of the lower decks rifle skin
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007

Wow. That is extremely, extremely misleading and shady behavior on their part. To be 100% clear what I mean:

1: it is completely fine to NOT include pants in the uniform. We clear on that? Ok, keep going...

2: it is absolutely misleading and deceptive to show pants that are not included in the uniform in a promo image AND not CLEARLY explain it in the blog/uniform box.

It's the part that comes after the "and" above that is wrong/misleading. There is simply no excuse for that type of deception.

I'm not going to criticize them without also offering a solution, so here it is: give people who bought the uniforms the Disco Season 3 pants that were shown in the image. Problem solved.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »

Is it really that difficult to put "pants not included" in the promo images and in the text of the blog post?
    Especially since it's LDS we're talking about, so they could have even added a quick quip about that, like "No pants included, coz apparently the Ferengi cargo was sabotaged by an unruly Starfleet ensign."
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited September 2021

They should've included the 32c pants then if those are the ones intended for the LD uniform. First they TRIBBLE everyone off by putting it in the Lobi store, and then they rub salt in the wound by making you buy ANOTHER Lobi uniform to get the pants!? Seriously!?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png

They should've included the 32c pants then if those are the ones intended for the LD uniform.

Yeah, I mean I can completely understand and agree with the logic of "why make something identical to what we already have?". But the point is, if you are going to show those pants in the promo then the uniform needs to come with those pants, period. That's really all there is to it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    I wish I could say I was surprised by this turn of events, but it's pretty much par for the course around here these days.​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    edited September 2021
    Ok, so if they do a stream this week people are obviously going to ask about this. If you plan to do so, please don't ask the "wrong" question.

The question should not be "why doesn't the Lower Decks uniform have pants?", because we already know their answer: "because we already had a uniform in game with identical pants and didn't want to spend the development time creating the same thing again".

So because we already know that, the "right" question to ask them is: "if there were already identical pants in game, why didn't you include THOSE pants with the Lower Decks uniform?"

Obviously they can ignore the question if they don't want to answer it. But if they try to answer the 2nd question with the answer to the 1st question, they are strawmanning you and trying to ignore the real issue.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Put. The. 32c. Pants. In. The. Lower Decks. Bundle.
    YOU MORONS!

And no Kael it isnt a simple mistake, when they occur every 5 mins.
    Its blatant False Advertisement!

Well said.
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I am with the majority here.

I am not even that interested in the uniform, but there is a right way to do things and this is not it.

You either:

A ) Include the pants shown in the post with the uniform, even if they are part of another set.

B ) Make a clear and plain disclaimer that the uniforms do not include pants (or whatever else they may not include).

C ) As with "B", only perhaps show a variety of (in this case) pants and include info on where every different pair of pants displayed can be found.
    well, uniforms usually consist of a top and bottom. at least in my experience with military service. and often times you got a top and a bottom so they...well...matched.

This is my experience as well.

I could, of course, always choose to buy an extra dress blue top or extra pants for my dress or working whites or whatever, but every uniform consisted of a specific top and bottom that went together.

If I ever wore my dress blue pants and dress white top it would not have went over well for me.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Does the LD uniform cost the same as complete Lobi uniforms?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Does the LD uniform cost the same as complete Lobi uniforms?

Of course they do, this is Cryptic we're talking about after all, you didn't think they'd do something silly like give a discount for the missing piece did you? 🤣
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I am frankly surprised that anyone would defend Cryptic outside the one person that always sides against the players.

You cannot show something in the advertised image that is not included in the purchase without a notation stating that these items are not included. Especially since this goes against the norm when it comes to this type of thing.

When previously have uniforms ever come without pants?

It's very simple, the uniform should have come with the unlock for the Discovery Pants if the player didn't already have them. As it is right now, they are paying money for an advertised look that they cannot achieve. It's par for the course of what to expect from Cryptic lately and just re-enforces the fact that absolutely no one should be giving these guys money. Players need to start holding them accountable and stop making excuses for them.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    When previously have uniforms ever come without pants?

Well, the Picard-era Starfleet uniform was a top only...but it was also free. The fact that they:

A: charged for this uniform, and

B: literally advertised it with pants

is really not defendable, IMO. It's the first example (that I can think of anyway) of a paid uniform not having pants, although sadly I have a feeling it's probably the start of the new normal rather than a fluke.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.