scenarios choices

this is from the latest article: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497363-star-trek-online:-reflections

"Can you save both realities from tyranny? Or will you fall to the darkness on the looking glass’s other side?"

These questions are only rhetorical.
Because, sadly, we won't have the possibility to make a real choice as usual.
Why should I want to help the mass murderer Leeta?

It would be interesting to have the possibility to make choices like in Mass Effect or SWTOR.
it is really annoying to help disgusting peoples and not having the possibility to kill them once and for all, when you play a klingon or a rom (Leeta, Sela, etc). I know these characters are played by real actors, but who cares. The story should be more important than all other considerations

hakeev killed by my roms is a very interesting moment, after the tragedy brings by this guy. it is not a choice, but it is a logical move.

Comments

• evilmark444
    evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,769 Arc User
    Why should I want to help the mass murderer Leeta?

Making story choices meaningful is very difficult, and limits future story telling (how do you bring back a character 50% of players killed and 50% befriended? You don't). You can relax though, this is only the beginning and given the nature of Mirror Universe characters I'm almost certain Leeta will turn heel again before the story is finished. We'll probably kill the Emperor eventually, at which point Leeta will probably say something like "Thank you SO much for your help! Now die."
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • sennahcherib
    sennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    the character could be removed (when killed) or disappear (when saved). well, i don't know, i'm not a story writer :p
    it would be so interesting.
    "Thank you SO much for your help! Now die."

it's not even a guess, it is going to happen :p
    And as usual because this character can't be killed or disappear once and for all (Chase Masterson's character), we will see her again in the future, and us dumbest creatures of the universe, we will help her again :D

So many times, when I leveled my rom characters, I would have liked to kill Sela for the sake of the romulan people, and no instead of that they have to help her. So frustrating and disappointing
  • keepcalmchiveon
    keepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,012 Arc User
    "Thank you SO much for your help! Now die."

quote of the day
    meh

• westmetals
    westmetals Member Posts: 8,256 Arc User
    The problem is that if they give you choices, then they have to account for their effects in later storyline. Like if you choose to take the Vaadwaur's side against the Kobali, then "Dust to Dust" makes no sense because you have to work with the Kobali. Etcetera.

The scene in "Cutting the Cord" is an interesting variation though... if you are playing Romulan, the player kills Hakeev; if not, Obisek kills him while you are standing there. So same outcome, just a different person acting.

There's another episode (I forget which) with a similar situation; you can choose to endorse a ship being destroyed or not, but the NPCs destroy it either way.
  • sennahcherib
    Star trek is mani
    westmetals wrote: »
    The problem is that if they give you choices, then they have to account for their effects in later storyline. Like if you choose to take the Vaadwaur's side against the Kobali, then "Dust to Dust" makes no sense because you have to work with the Kobali. Etcetera.

indeed, so maybe they could add minor choices, or create missions with minor possibilities. And "dust to dust" could have been written and created to allow different choices, even if it is just a choice of dialogue.

But I know, it is not easy, and can be difficult + they don't have a huge team.

• westmetals
    Star trek is mani
    westmetals wrote: »

indeed, so maybe they could add minor choices, or create missions with minor possibilities. And "dust to dust" could have been written and created to allow different choices, even if it is just a choice of dialogue.

But I know, it is not easy, and can be difficult + they don't have a huge team.

It's not just "a choice of dialogue"... the entire episode would make no sense for a Vaadwaur-allied player.
  • sennahcherib
    you have quoted only a part of my sentence.
    but who cares it is just an example.
  • westmetals
    edited September 2021
    you have quoted only a part of my sentence.
    but who cares it is just an example.

I know. (The entire quote was in the post, though.) But my point was that the entire concept of the episode, not just a few lines of the dialogue, would have to be changed... consider the fact that the opening part of the episode has you fighting alongside Kobali soldiers against the Vaadwaur, then you are navigating through a secret base full of obstacles with the willing help of a Kobali NPC, in order to save a Kobali warship...

Not a single shred of it makes sense if you had previously allied with the Vaadwaur instead of the Kobali.

And that's just one example. There are entire story arcs that would have similar problems. (Including most of the Delta arc having this identical problem.)
  • rattler2
    rattler2 Member Posts: 55,546 Community Moderator
    STO is a lot more linear in its storytelling. I will say though that I do wish there were a few more dialog options. One of my favorite choices that do exist is back when you first meet Madran.

"There was an infestation of Tal Shiar Spies. I just fumigated."

I lol and pick that EVERY time, and wish I can threaten Madran with another fumigation if he annoys me. Because lets face it... the little troll deserved that hit to his bank account.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)