test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Preservers

therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
I have a few questions about The Preservers.

1. Were they only based on one planet? For a species that basically had a hand in the universe, it would be strange to be based on one planet and not have a network of places to observe and collect data and such.

2. With their archive being destroyed, was it the only source of information? Was any of their knowledge shared with us or was it deemed “not for the eyes of children”?

3. Is there any Preservers in the Mirror Universe? If so, is there a way to contact them? Would they be hostile, benevolent, or a combination (maybe Q-lite)?

4. Could we enlist Daniels to help us go back in time and gather data: prevent its destruction, or is it one of those “fixed moments in time” that he always refers to?

I would love to hear some thoughts and posits on this. It’s been on my mind with a host of other things about STO and how it relates to the Trek universe at large.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > We see Preserver life pods on another plant during the Cold War arc, so probably not. Its just the only one we have found in the 20% of galaxy the Federation has explored in the Alpha/Beta Quadrants.
    >
    > The Iconians destroyed the Preserver archive out of fear that the Preservers would reveal the Iconian's secrets. The Preservers had no weapons there, but its likely we got some information from them in the months between our initial discovery of the Archive, and the Iconians destroying it.
    >
    > Living ones? Who knows. Did they exist in the Mirror Universe? probably. And the only species shown to be the opposite in the Mirror Universe are the Terrans. So the Preservers would likely be the same as they are in our universe.
    >
    > He wouldn't do it because it was part of the natural timeline.

Thanks for the insight. As far as the Mirror Universe goes, I always thought that it was a “everyone is the opposite of their character” and the factions were opposite as well. I'm shocked that any of the research that may have been uncovered by The Federation hasn’t come up in future episodes. I’m hoping that somewhere along the lines they get broached again as well as many of the other subplots in the Trek universe.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    1. Were they only based on one planet? For a species that basically had a hand in the universe, it would be strange to be based on one planet and not have a network of places to observe and collect data and such.
    We see Preserver life pods on another plant during the Cold War arc, so probably not. Its just the only one we have found in the 20% of galaxy the Federation has explored in the Alpha/Beta Quadrants.
    2. With their archive being destroyed, was it the only source of information? Was any of their knowledge shared with us or was it deemed “not for the eyes of children”?
    The Iconians destroyed the Preserver archive out of fear that the Preservers would reveal the Iconian's secrets. The Preservers had no weapons there, but its likely we got some information from them in the months between our initial discovery of the Archive, and the Iconians destroying it.
    3. Is there any Preservers in the Mirror Universe? If so, is there a way to contact them? Would they be hostile, benevolent, or a combination (maybe Q-lite)?
    Living ones? Who knows. Did they exist in the Mirror Universe? probably. And the only species shown to be the opposite in the Mirror Universe are the Terrans. So the Preservers would likely be the same as they are in our universe.
    4. Could we enlist Daniels to help us go back in time and gather data: prevent its destruction, or is it one of those “fixed moments in time” that he always refers to?
    He wouldn't do it because it was part of the natural timeline.

Aren't Mirror Romulans basically cowards, personally I wish they were badasses like their prime universe counterparts.
    > @somtaawkhar said:

> I doubt the Preserve gave up much information. These sort of "ancient one" species tend to be hesitant to influence the development of the "children" races. Most of what we got was likely historical data on the early life of the galaxy, and not something we would be really able to act on like ship designs, or warp core improvements, or any sort of weapons, or things like that.

Let me throw something at you real quick because this comment got me thinking. The Preservers would be akin to finding out that aliens were out actual gods on Earth. Although the Preservers were more hands off (I think), the knowledge that they were responsible should have sent some alarms going off at least within the Romulans, Klingons, and Cardassians because wouldn’t it be almost contradictory to what they believed? Vulcans may have a easier time accepting and discussing it, but heck, even Earthlings might question some things (assuming theology is still a concept- don’t really have a basis for it against it in Trek). If the world today found out that all our deities were really alien(s), it would throw the world off its axis. I get that Trek is supposed to be “humans at their highest level past our current status”, but there would still be repercussions, no?
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > Except we knew gods were aliens for a long time.
    >
    > Back in TOS they found out the Greek gods actually existed, and were aliens. In Voyager Chakotay found out that his native American tribe's "Sky Spirits" were also aliens. Bajorans found out their gods were aliens in DS9. TOS also suggested that the Arretans influenced development on Vulcan, so Vulcan "gods" were also aliens.
    >
    > This isn't a new thing for people in Trek.

So, do you think that there should/would have been more of a “let me run and get some questions answered” dynamic? Considering that the Preservers were the “first”, do you believe that there may have been a call/demand for answers? Also, as far as technology, the Preserves basically seeded the universe. That means that they theoretically can come up not only with current DNA but also the DNA of species long gone. Do you think there would have been a push for that as well?
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    We did actually get some weapons tech from the Preserver archive, the Preserver Resonant set, though I suspect that they may not have meant the technology to be used in weapons (humans are good at turning anything into a weapon though so the Preservers may have given it despite knowing they would probably end up as such, perhaps justifying it as a regrettable though reasonable defense against Iconian aggression).
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > We did actually get some weapons tech from the Preserver archive, the Preserver Resonant set, though I suspect that they may not have meant the technology to be used in weapons (humans are good at turning anything into a weapon though so the Preservers may have given it despite knowing they would probably end up as such, perhaps justifying it as a regrettable though reasonable defense against Iconian aggression).

Completely missed the connection with this!
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > Except we knew gods were aliens for a long time.
    >
    > Back in TOS they found out the Greek gods actually existed, and were aliens. In Voyager Chakotay found out that his native American tribe's "Sky Spirits" were also aliens. Bajorans found out their gods were aliens in DS9. TOS also suggested that the Arretans influenced development on Vulcan, so Vulcan "gods" were also aliens.
    >
    > This isn't a new thing for people in Trek.

So, do you think that there should/would have been more of a “let me run and get some questions answered” dynamic? Considering that the Preservers were the “first”, do you believe that there may have been a call/demand for answers? Also, as far as technology, the Preserves basically seeded the universe. That means that they theoretically can come up not only with current DNA but also the DNA of species long gone. Do you think there would have been a push for that as well?

forget the preservers and all the episode with god-like sentients. it is just ridiculous. Star trek is full of scenarios flaws, nonsense and contradictions.
    For example: DNA spread accross the universe by the preservers is an excuse used to allow species to have sex together and have child, in Star Trek (Roddenberry's utopist and simplistic dreams), even if in reallity it is impossible. Voths and humans should be closer genetically than klingons/humans etc

the best episodes in the Star trek franchise are the simpliest ones and the episodes where there is a real reflection (Enterprise episode: Dear Doctor; for example)
This discussion has been closed.