test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Captain Upgrade Token makes you ‘Elite’

qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
In case you weren’t over-powered enough—you can now buy an “Elite Captain Boost” token for 1,000 to 1,500 Zen!

The upgrade gives you:

1 Personal Space Trait Slot
1 Personal Ground Trait Slot
1 Device Slot
1 Kit Module Slot

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497333
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    More like "marks you as a sucker". Meh. Article says "similar to the ship upgrade token". Except that is account-wide improvement for a ship class, this is a per character deal. That's a big difference.

Add for that, what do you get?
    1 Device Slot - about as useful as a mitten for a slug.
    1 Personal Space Trait slot - marginally better.
    1 Personal Ground Trait slot - ditto
    1 Kit Module Slot - that one has a bit more merit, but still.

Overall, 4 very minor single-character unlocks. for 1500 Zen.

Compare - at the Fleet Research Lab, you can get a SHIP TRAIT slot unlock for 100,000 Dil (at the current rate of 500 Dil/Zen, that equals 200 Zen). Rep Space and Ground Trait slots are even less (25k Dil, IIRC, which is 50 Zen each. Any of those give you room for better traits than you can cram into the personal ones, which are generally the bottom of the barrel stuff, IMHO.

At a price of 400 Zen, this Token would be decent. POSSIBLY even at 500. At 1,500? It's got sucker written all over it.

Plus, it this were sold for Dil instead of Zen, it might help the ailing Exchange. But, no. one more item added to the wrong end of the scales. *SIGH*
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    They should have made this system via DILITHIUM instead of ZEN or at least make an option to get it through DILITHIUM.
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    They should have made this system via DILITHIUM instead of ZEN or at least make an option to get it through DILITHIUM.
    Well, since you can exchange dilithium for Zen, they did make it an option to buy this using dilithium.

It just costs a whole lot of dilithium and may take some time to exchange it all.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    This is awesome. Not because I think it's a good idea, but because of all the entertainment value it will create :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Well, since you can exchange dilithium for Zen, they did make it an option to buy this using dilithium.

It just costs a whole lot of dilithium and may take some time to exchange it all.

So instead of waiting a few days for your dilithium sales to go through, now you can wait entire weeks. Great idea. That totally 'fixes' the dilex.

It's not a question of trying to fix any problems with the dilithium exchange, it is a simple statement of fact.

You can get this with dilithium.
    Might not be the quickest way, but it is a way.

Want to talk about trying to "fix" the zen/dilithium exchange? Plenty of other threads about that out there.
  • xorvxorv Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    [...]
    At a price of 400 Zen, this Token would be decent. POSSIBLY even at 500. At 1,500? It's got sucker written all over it.

Well like most things Cryptic sells it's better to buy in a bundle and during a sale. In which case it would be 650 Zen per character, which isn't nearly as far off what you think it's worth than 1500 zen. That said I agree this isn't a good move by Cryptic, it adds nothing to the game. Just a pure vertical power boost for $$$, and will hurt the already struggling Dil exchange.

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    And I guarantee that, like the ship version, they will be giving this away often enough through events to make it a superfluous addition to the store.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Extra, Extra read all about it, P2W tokens added to the C-Store while the DilEx Market still crashes and burns. who ever is in charge of their marketing team needs to be fired out an airlock for their incompetency, why just why, Cryptic is putting all their good Dil Sink options into the C-Store and leaving us with only the crappy Dil sink options, it's like they don't even want to fix it.
  • dacia#9992 dacia Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    why just why, Cryptic is putting all their good Dil Sink options into the C-Store and leaving us with only the crappy Dil sink options, it's like they don't even want to fix it.

Pretty sure you answered your own question.

[...]
    A. This isn't pay to win, since you don't need it to do well in the game(needing to pay to do well being the key factor in P2W)

I'm not sure I agree with this statement. I suppose it's determined by your definition of winning. If winning to you is cruising through PvE content and having fun, then the statement holds true (You could do that with a T3 ship and random drop gear). But really "winning" infers competition, and in the aspects of STO where there is competition like PvP and DPS league stuff this IMO definitely falls into the pay to win category.

• wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    "You don't matter unless you pay us!" seems more like it.
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    In case you weren’t over-powered enough—you can now buy an “Elite Captain Boost” token for 1,000 to 1,500 Zen!

The upgrade gives you:

1 Personal Space Trait Slot
    1 Person Ground Trait Slot
    1 Device Slot
    1 Kit Module Slot

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497333

Nice this will be fun to try out, need to add extra Space universal console Slots too. :)
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    If hey made the device slot into a console slot it would make more sense an be worth the zen. Plus they could add this to the phoenix box like they do the other one. That would then act like a sink.

I'm assuming a device slot is for a ship or is it for your captain on the ground. If so that is interesting actually.
    aftulus wrote: »
    If hey made the device slot into a console slot it would make more sense an be worth the zen. Plus they could add this to the phoenix box like they do the other one. That would then act like a sink.

I'm assuming a device slot is for a ship or is it for your captain on the ground. If so that is interesting actually.

Everything else is about the Captain, so no reason to believe this is some "portable extra ship device slot" as opposed to a personal ground device slot specific to the Captain that gets the upgrade.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Who wants to wager that that'll mess our traits up again?
    I haven't bought one yet but I can tell you what has been happening as a significant bug since the update that can't be a coincidence.

When you ready a new ship, it gets the gear of the previous ship... except it's your shuttle's gear.

And now, the game can only ready either your main starship or a shuttle, not both anymore, which is a big mess-up both for equipment and customization. And I'm gonna take a guess it also prevents you from playing shuttle missions until you switch ships.
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    xorv wrote: »
    in the aspects of STO where there is competition like PvP and DPS league stuff this IMO definitely falls into the pay to win category.
    The non existent PVP community, and the DPS league thats a totally imaginary competition that has no impact on the game?

Truly, the masters of winning.

You seem triggered that these things do exist in the game, why is that? If those things didn't exist Cryptic wouldn't release traits and consoles behind paywalls that are obviously targeted to such players. Combined with "space barbie" stuff that's where the money comes from for Cryptic. Look people talk about pay-to-win, where else in STO is there anything where "winning or losing" exists at all. Well ok there is an important 3rd, market PvP.. which incidentally is the only player activity that really has any meaningful direct impact on the game as a whole.

Just because you personally don't engage in any form of competition in STO, does not mean it doesn't exist. You barely need to be conscious to get through storyline and normal difficulty content, it's designed for just about everyone to get through with pretty much 0 chance of failure. So obviously gamers look to find other aspects of the game to challenge themselves a little, and in that compare or directly compete with other players that aren't a half step up from NPCs.

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2021
    Well I don't see this as a negative, but a positive! Also realize people have FAR MORE Ships than they do Characters as well. So you may have 50-500 Ships so Account-Wide makes sense. Here it does not! Most players largely play 2-5 Character's mostly, and yet while they are Personal Space & Ground Traits... ...that can still boost by 5-15% if offensive traits.

Also many might find it more useful to slot one more Defensive ability, to help protect the Ship &/or Crew from Danger! And having one more KIT to use will come in handy as well. :)

<3
    0zxlclk.png
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    This is a bit weird. In other f2p games, you can buy costumes (mirror uniforms and mirror Gagarin) for money and leveling is available through play, in STO are costumes for free (uniforms) or available through play (mirror Gagarin), but leveling is for money.
    I have to say for myself that I don't like it at all.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    More like "marks you as a sucker". Meh. Article says "similar to the ship upgrade token". Except that is account-wide improvement for a ship class, this is a per character deal. That's a big difference.

Compare - at the Fleet Research Lab, you can get a SHIP TRAIT slot unlock for 100,000 Dil (at the current rate of 500 Dil/Zen, that equals 200 Zen). Rep Space and Ground Trait slots are even less (25k Dil, IIRC, which is 50 Zen each. Any of those give you room for better traits than you can cram into the personal ones, which are generally the bottom of the barrel stuff, IMHO.

Plus, it this were sold for Dil instead of Zen, it might help the ailing Exchange. But, no. one more item added to the wrong end of the scales. *SIGH*

for those of us not in a fleet at least it gets us on par with the trait slots
    Spock.jpg

• sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Extra, Extra read all about it, P2W tokens added to the C-Store while the DilEx Market still crashes and burns. who ever is in charge of their marketing team needs to be fired out an airlock for their incompetency, why just why, Cryptic is putting all their good Dil Sink options into the C-Store and leaving us with only the crappy Dil sink options, it's like they don't even want to fix it.

They ain't gonna fix it, they fix it, they lose REAL cash money, since they screwed the Dil for Zen up, the only way to get Zen now is with REAL cash money, making their bottom line look better.
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User

for those of us not in a fleet at least it gets us on par with the trait slots

You missed my point. I didn't mean it was useless, just way overpriced. My comparison to the Fleet available traits was just to show that the existing buyable traits are both more powerful and cheaper, so with the new system they are selling slots for weaker traits for a higher price. I didn't mean to say selling the slots was bad per se, simply that the price point is demonstrably inflated. Grossly.

However, I am happy to admit that this looks a bit better since the device slot is for the relatively useful ground devices, instead of (as I assumed) for the virtually unnecessary space devices. I mean, who needs more than 3 or 4 space devices? What else do you put in those slots?
This discussion has been closed.