test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Parliament Class coming to STO

Comments

• kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Also, some of those old ships, you're buying for the costume. Which maintains value, somewhat.
    (and they were even bought for the costume back when they were 'current' ships.)
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Yeah, that honestly makes no sense to me why things that are literally the same age as the game are still the same price they were back then - physical things depreciate in value as they age - a thing being digital is no excuse to not follow that same practice.​​
    Sure it is.

Digital items don't decay in the first place, and attempts to add decay to digital items, like digital books you can only read 20 items before you have to buy it again, have been met with STIFF resistance, and large scale internet rioting, by people.

People have made it clear that they don't want, or consider, digital items to decay. So there should be neither actual decay of the item itself, and thus, no equal decay on its price.

The word used is depreciation. Arguing against decay is a textbook definition of strawman argument.

The fact is T5s are not the same value as they were prior to T6 ships. That value has sunk even lower since then due to all the free T6s that have been offered over the years, even the bundle deals that include various T5s, or the console they offer. T5 ships have no business being the same price as they were ten years ago.

Further, you can end up spending more money on a T5 versus a T6 for less benefit! All those suckers who bought the T5 Intrepid, then T5U upgrades for it once Delta Rising happened, only to have the Pathfinder come out shortly after, yeah they got royally screwed by Cryptic. They spent more on the T5 Intrepid and could have just waited a few months to get the Pathfinder cheaper.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, I have a couple toons flying T5u-X Science Vessels, one a Vesta class and the other a Fleet Retro Olympic/Horizon class. Both of those romp and stomp. They are perhaps not quite the equal of a T-6X, but in functional terms there isn't a lot of difference that CLR can see.

I don't disagree that T5UX can be quite viable, and never claimed they weren't, but it is in the same way a used 2008 Toyota can be quite viable. That's totally fine. But you shouldn't be paying the same $15K for that Toyota when it was priced as a new car in 2008 either.

T5U ships actually lack capabilities that T6 have with the extra BOFF power, and to get the same consoles and scaling it costs more because of the overpriced T5U tokens. It should be noticeably less for the total package, versus a T6 so that they are budget options. 2k total zen for a T5U ship would be more reasonable, not 3200 that it is now.
  • skepicoolskepicool Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    skepicool wrote: »
    They really need to change the stats on Parliament Class they are just plain underpowered for a lockbox ship end of story. I'm not going to get into it as how far as how bad they are but its just disappointing to say the least... .

Whilst I don't disagree per-se, we shouldn't really be that surprised really - not after Borticus said this:

Besides, the class is described, in 'Cupid's Errant Arrow' as "designed to engage in large, complex engineering projects".
    So unfortunately, there is some basis in canon for it not to be a particularly tactical-focused class of Starship.

The Class could and should of been engineering & tactical focused. Drop the sci & bring up the tac... They also talk about the ship traveling to the past in "1920s Chicago" so its clearly a "hero ship". They shoulda done this Class better. I also remind you its in lockbox, & thats fine but it should have lockbox stats...
    edited September 2021
    They also talk about the ship traveling to the past in "1920s Chicago" so its clearly a "hero ship".
    Time travel is not limited to just hero ships.

The beginning of the TOS episode "Assignment Earth" suggests that the Federation sending ships back in time to observe the past is routine.

I have seen every episode & movie of Star Trek more then once, thank you.

You're also deflecting the conversation, so back on topic this is one of the worst tier 6 starships they have ever made, it under performs in all the stats that count for a cruiser. It has 2 tac cons, it would only have beam overload II or fire at will II... so its very weak at dps, tanking it would also be weak as well.

They also talk about in the episode how advanced it was for its time.

Now STO does more of a appreciation of the time line, so you can play TOS next to 32c ships & they are about the same. What they did with this Class is just plain bad. Its also in a lockbox so it should have that level of performance.
    edited September 2021
    You could try to make a sci build on it, but with no secondary deflector it would be weak as well...

If Cryptic wants to make this a meme lockbox starship then "make it so."
    Post edited by skepicool on
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    The thing is, the Parliament class is not a warship, it is a utility ship like the California class. And as a utility ship it is rather advanced, according to dialog it could do a lot of things the less advanced California class could not. It was meant to do a lot of things adequately, not specialized for combat (which in a game that is so combat oriented could be a problem, but it is realistic).
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    The visual is great of the ship I like it. What I don't like is the medioca bridge officers stations. The ship is Zen Store non Legendary Quality at best. There is nothing what really justify it to be a lock box ship.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
    They also talk about the ship traveling to the past in "1920s Chicago" so its clearly a "hero ship".

The beginning of the TOS episode "Assignment Earth" suggests that the Federation sending ships back in time to observe the past is routine.

You're also deflecting the conversation, so back on topic this is one of the worst tier 6 starships they have ever made, it under performs in all the stats that count for a cruiser. It has 2 tac cons, it would only have beam overload II or fire at will II... so its very weak at dps, tanking it would also be weak as well.

Now STO does more of a appreciation of the time line, so you can play TOS next to 32c ships & they are about the same. What they did with this Class is just plain bad. Its also in a lockbox so it should have that level of performance.

I'm not sure I quite understand this idea where a ship is defined by how many tactical console slots it has - at least, not anymore. Not with the plethora of Universal consoles we have access to. Okay, so this ship has give Eng console slots? Fine - put the Domino, Priors World Elite Defense Satellite, Bioneural Infusion Circuits and whatever other universal consoles your can think of that improve tactical performance either directly or passively. There is NO lack of them.

And lets keep in mind, whilst it only has two tactical console slots, it gets a universal console slot due to being a Miracle worker ship. And apply an X-upgrade (several of which have been given away for free) and it'd have two universal console slots. That gives the oportunity to apply four tactical consoles to the ship.

Yes with a MW commander & a X-upgrade it can have 4 tac cons, but with only a Lt Tac seat it will only have beam overload II or beam fire at will II. Thats really bad for dps or tank players.

It should be a battle cruiser with the better mastery packge & should be topping out with about 6 maybe 5 tac cons after a MW & X-upgrade in mind. Energy builds need the support, keep inmind this is still just a 4/4 weapon layout. Overload III or fire at will III are also a must have for a lockbox. The hull, the shields etc are fine, but the ship is just gimp, there is no way around it. Can you play the game with it? Yes, but why would you want to when its so weak...
    A bad platform is a bad platform... It doesn't have to be the best in the game breaking the meta or anything "but it should at least be able to defend it self well"...

I'm not sure I quite understand this idea where a ship is defined by how many tactical console slots it has - at least, not anymore. Not with the plethora of Universal consoles we have access to. Okay, so this ship has give Eng console slots? Fine - put the Domino, Priors World Elite Defense Satellite, Bioneural Infusion Circuits and whatever other universal consoles your can think of that improve tactical performance either directly or passively. There is NO lack of them.

And lets keep in mind, whilst it only has two tactical console slots, it gets a universal console slot due to being a Miracle worker ship. And apply an X-upgrade (several of which have been given away for free) and it'd have two universal console slots. That gives the oportunity to apply four tactical consoles to the ship.

Yes with a MW commander & a X-upgrade it can have 4 tac cons, but with only a Lt Tac seat it will only have beam overload II or beam fire at will II. Thats really bad for dps or tank players.

It should be a battle cruiser with the better mastery packge & should be topping out with about 6 maybe 5 tac cons after a MW & X-upgrade in mind. Energy builds need the support, keep inmind this is still just a 4/4 weapon layout. Overload III or fire at will III are also a must have for a lockbox. The hull, the shields etc are fine, but the ship is just gimp, there is no way around it. Can you play the game with it? Yes, but why would you want to when its so weak...

Why does it "need" to be a battle cruiser? The canon ship it was based on was nothing of the sort?

I, sorta, agree with Borticus here - why does every cruiser in STO HAVE to be a 5/6 Tactical console powerhouse? So far a canon is concerned the Parliament class wasn't a Battlecruiser - it was "designed to engage in large, complex engineering projects".

Because if I am going to pay money for a ship I want to fly in something that is at least respectable. This is the worst starship put in a lockbox in years. Its one of the worst T6 ships in the game being frank about it. Its a shame because its also one coolest looking that we have been waiting a year for...
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User

Why does it "need" to be a battle cruiser? The canon ship it was based on was nothing of the sort?

I, sorta, agree with Borticus here - why does every cruiser in STO HAVE to be a 5/6 Tactical console powerhouse? So far a canon is concerned the Parliament class wasn't a Battlecruiser - it was "designed to engage in large, complex engineering projects".

I agree with that idea that not every ship should be tactical pew pew pew focused too, but the other side of the coin which imo Cryptic has been recently spitting on is calling something a "multi-mission" or "warship" or "battlecruiser" then not following up with the normal fittings of weapons, consoles, & stats for that ship's classification.

Cryptic classified the Parliament as a Miracle Worker Surveyor cruiser & imo did the stats & fittings really well. I'm impressed with its look too. I'm just tired of the one right after the other big price & gamble ships with nothing else.

Because if I am going to spend money on a starship it should be at least respectable. Its the worst starship put in a lockbox ever. Being frank about it is one of the worst T6 starships in the game.

And that is a shame considering we have been waiting a year for it to come into the game... Now its just a fast pass, because the stats are a meme. Most people that spend money don't want to fly meme starships!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    So far a canon is concerned the Parliament class wasn't a Battlecruiser - it was "designed to engage in large, complex engineering projects".

Ship layouts don't need to follow canon, it's a game and players want to have fun with the ships they love instead of being forced to use something else due to performance. Look at the NX, it's an ancient exploration ship that in canon only had what, three phase cannons and two torpedo tubes? Yet in STO it's a 5/2 escort with 5 tac consoles. If they REALLY stuck to canon for the Parliament and California they wouldn't be higher than T4 or T5, obviously players wouldn't be happy about that though.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    So far a canon is concerned the Parliament class wasn't a Battlecruiser - it was "designed to engage in large, complex engineering projects".

Ship layouts don't need to follow canon, it's a game and players want to have fun with the ships they love instead of being forced to use something else due to performance. Look at the NX, it's an ancient exploration ship that in canon only had what, three phase cannons and two torpedo tubes? Yet in STO it's a 5/2 escort with 5 tac consoles. If they REALLY stuck to canon for the Parliament and California they wouldn't be higher than T4 or T5, obviously players wouldn't be happy about that though.

And the "J" on your pic would be T11 orT12, 32c ships would be something like T20...

There are T5s that are better then the Parliament, its bad if you know what you are really looking at....
    As interesting as this all has been I think I'm done here...
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    The Parliament does not excel in any one area, to make it work well probably takes making it a wide based blended threat using synergies and interactions in a different way than the usual, like a hybrid magicka/stamina character in ESO. If I could afford one I think it would be a very interesting puzzle to figure out and would probably get it for that tinkering (and it does look nice which helps too).
    The Parliament does not excel in any one area, to make it work well probably takes making it a wide based blended threat using synergies and interactions in a different way than the usual, like a hybrid magicka/stamina character in ESO. If I could afford one I think it would be a very interesting puzzle to figure out and would probably get it for that tinkering (and it does look nice which helps too).

To be fair, it'd be excellent Tank.

If only tanks were relevant anymore.

Its makes for a very poor tank because it only has a Lt Tac seat, fire at will II... The ship doesn't do anything well, a bad platform is a bad platform.
    I think if Cryptic gave the ship a little bit of help it would of made them some good money. However a lot of players that spend money understand what they are looking at & don't want to fly something that can't do anything even at a average.

Hopefully they don't turn all the Lower Deck starships into memes like this...
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I am certain they will reply to the backlash via a legendary Parliament in a 150$ bundle 😜
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    The Titan...yes, it was mentioned in Nemesis, but it didn't become a real ship until LD - and it's most certainly not a meme ship; it's not the best science vessel in the game, but it's not terrible either.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    The whole damn premise of Lower Decks is that the Cerritos is not a ship of the line, hence it's "Second Contact" mission profile!

Which is why the Cerritos would be perfect for an anniversary-event ship, or a bigger event-reward in general as those usually have lower stats than comparable Cstore-ships (not to mention LB/promo).

But since it's the main ship of the show... well... we probably know where this'll go.
    I don't expect anyone to agree with me here, but to be honest I think it'd be quite silly if the California class was turned into some sort of 5/3 weapon layout ship with five tactical consoles. We haven't seen it do anything noteworthy in a tactical sense. One was destroyed when confronted and tried to run away, the Cerritos itself has barely ever even fired its phasers and needed to be rescued by the USS Titan when it got into trouble.

The whole damn premise of Lower Decks is that the Cerritos is not a ship of the line, hence it's "Second Contact" mission profile!

Well Cryptic already gave us the Lego Miranda.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    I don't expect anyone to agree with me here, but to be honest I think it'd be quite silly if the California class was turned into some sort of 5/3 weapon layout ship with five tactical consoles. We haven't seen it do anything noteworthy in a tactical sense. One was destroyed when confronted and tried to run away, the Cerritos itself has barely ever even fired its phasers and needed to be rescued by the USS Titan when it got into trouble.

Well, the Inquiry-class LITERALLY did nothing except showing up and showing off its big blue deflectors and it ended up in a R&D pack, so we all know what a ship actually does in a series doesn't matter.

I wouldn't be surprised if it became a Legendary pack and they pulled off a "actually, while in the last centuries, Second Contact was treated as a thankless job, now in the 25th, it's considered the most important job of all, and thus the Cerritos is now legendary in Starfleet" justification.

If at least, they put Tendi's medic outfit and "medical shotgun" from when she snaps in 2x01, I might consider buying it. But as a Caitian, I say this pack would be obligated to have the BOX!
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

Well, the Inquiry-class LITERALLY did nothing except showing up and showing off its big blue deflectors and it ended up in a R&D pack, so we all know what a ship actually does in a series doesn't matter.

I wouldn't be surprised if it became a Legendary pack and they pulled off a "actually, while in the last centuries, Second Contact was treated as a thankless job, now in the 25th, it's considered the most important job of all, and thus the Cerritos is now legendary in Starfleet" justification.

If at least, they put Tendi's medic outfit and "medical shotgun" from when she snaps in 2x01, I might consider buying it. But as a Caitian, I say this pack would be obligated to have the BOX!

Well, if they wanto to charge more, besides c-store.. the cerritos deserves to be a lobi ship, nothing more.. and if i cannot activate the warp slug parasite in sector space as a pet, i will be really dissapointed!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    gaevsman wrote: »

Well, if they wanto to charge more, besides c-store.. the cerritos deserves to be a lobi ship, nothing more.. and if i cannot activate the warp slug parasite in sector space as a pet, i will be really dissapointed!

Have I already forgot, has that warp slug parasite actually been in an episode or is it just for the beginning trailer?
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    I don't expect anyone to agree with me here, but to be honest I think it'd be quite silly if the California class was turned into some sort of 5/3 weapon layout ship with five tactical consoles.

I'm inclined to agree; the California might be more of a 3/3 like a science vessel. Maybe 3/3/3 consoles too (or 4/2/2, or 4/3/2, etc.)
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    Yea, if this was a 3/3 science vessel with secondary deflector, I'd consider this ship. Ah well, it looks great.
This discussion has been closed.