test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shredded shields ...

vaylottevaylotte Member Posts: 67 Arc User
Hello. I'm level 28 now and been trying to do this mission where a Borg Cube attacks me and basically shreds my shields in a second then stops me from moving and pulverizes me. I'm dead in a few seconds. It's weird because i've been doing ok up until now ...
So how do I stop this from happening ? What should I be doing to counter it ?
Thanks

Comments

• qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    You just need to start researching builds. Your playing is probably fine. The game just doesn’t help you set up your ship with a consistent design.

The Baby Step guide is a little cumbersome of a read—but if you can slog through it you will be ejecting Borg into the cold vacuum in no time.

Here it is:

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/k88fel/the_baby_step_series_part_1_the_first_step_level/

Basically though you want: 1) all your weapons and tactical consoles to be the same type. 2) full power to weapons 3) retrain your bridge officers. The skills they come with are random and not always useful.

From the guide:

“ Weapons in STO require focus. This means two things. One, focus on one energy type like phaser, disruptor, or plasma, don't build rainbow boats using different flavored weapons. It can work but is ultimately going to gimp you in the end. Weapon procs are mostly useless due to their low proc rate, focus on an energy type you like the look or sound of. Two, focus on the actual weapon type. All beam arrays, or all dual cannons, or all torpedos. You can mix a little but you'll need to focus on just one. Gear, especially weapons and tac consoles, should always match your level. At level 40 that means mark 9-10. At low levels gear mark is far more important than gear quality (eg. uncommon, rare, very rare, etc). At level 50+, ideally you want your gear to be as high mark and quality as possible.”

“ Subsystem power should be set to something along the lines of: Weapons 100 / Shields 50 / Engines 25 / Auxiliary 25. The best way to do this is push the weapons subsystem power button found at the top of subsystem power UI box.”

“ Most boff ability training manuals can be purchased at boff trainer NPCs found in all the major hubs. Rank 3 abilities such as Emergency Power to Weapon 3 (ETPW) and Reverse Shield Polarity 3 (RSP) I have listed in this build are usually best purchased from the exchange, training manuals can be made from a boff candidate that already has it, or from an in-game friend who has the ability to craft it for you. Ability cooldown reduction is handled by the lieutenant rank sci bridge officer ability Photonic Officer 1 (read about it below), as well as a point each in the readiness skills to help it along, which I already mentioned. When using boff abilities it's important to figure out which ones work well together or can be used one after the other, this is called chaining. In particular for this build, Attack Pattern Beta 1 (APB) and the chosen firing mode Beam Overload (BO) or Beam Fire at Will (BFAW) should always be used at the same time. Abilities like Emergency Power to the Weapons (ETPW) and Emergency Power to the Engines (EPTE) share a cooldown and should be cycled together hitting the first one, then the other when it's off cooldown, and repeating to keep these up full time while in combat.”
  • vaylottevaylotte Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Ah yes that is helpful thankyou !
    Great ! i'll look into it thanks :)
    Where can I get myself some more Teytron cannons ? I have two on fore weapons and a Torpedoe launcher. But in aft I have a phaser and mine launcher. I want two more Teytron cannons for my aft or one and another Torpedoe launcher ?
    I've looked on the Exchange but theres not much there for my level (i'm Commander level 28).
    Also is it worth buying a ship from the Zen store ? if so what is a good ship to buy for my level ? I looked but there is so much choices lol !
    Thanks
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    Tetryon weapons look great, but they are not strong for hull damage. Especially for your first build, phasers are probably going to be cheaper and more effective. There are a lot more consoles that boost phaser damage too.

That being said, the Cardassian arc have episodes that reward tetryon cannons, turrets, and beams. If you want to get some decent ones for free.

Also the Episode “Midnight,” the last episode in the Iconian Arc has a Tetryon Pulse Generator. Most builds will want all your tactical consoles filled with consoles that boost your energy weapons. For Tetryon weapons the only free console is there, I think.
    Ok great thanks peeps :)
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    FYI, the science skill "Polarize Hull" makes tractor beams unable to hold you.... this might help against the Borg (and also Romulans)

Definitely this. Also, iirc they can't even lock a tractor beam on you if you're more than 5km away. Maintain distance, where possible.