test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

COMING 09/14 THE ELITE CAPTAINS BOOST TOKEN

eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497333

From 09/14 captains will be able to purchase an extra space, ground, device, kit slot.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Oh good lord....
    1 Personal Space Trait Slot
    1 Person Ground Trait Slot
    1 Device Slot
    1 Kit Module Slot

I have no words.

Oh yeah - and could've sold them for Dil to solve the sink issue. But of course not.

Exactly what I was thinking. And they just further increased the demand for zen by the same margin. So not only did this not help the dilithium issue, they just made it that much worse instead.

This is true.

As for the power creep issue: perhaps they could have added some restrictions. Like, not being able to slot yet another strategic, buff-adding module or damage increasing trait but limiting it to something defensive for example.

Still, it's nice that we get some more options now. With almost every new release, there's something interesting to add in terms of new traits and gear. That usually means that older, already unlocked stuff isn't used that much anymore.

This will change that and make some unused stuff more interesting again.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Is an extra personal trait actually worth thirty fifteen dollars? I don't mind paying for things but I'd have trouble justifying even five dollars on such a miniscule bonus.
    Oops, I was quickly skimming through it and misread it as 3k normal, 1.5k on sale, LOL. It still doesn't seem valuable enough for the price tag they put on it.
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    I was actually wondering when this was going to happen.

We had the "turn T5 into T5-U", "turn T6 into T6-X", "go straight to rep Tier VI,... just kidding, only Tier V... and individually" and "don't bother playing, go straight to lvl 65" tokens.

Of course we were going to get the overpriced token for more character-based slots.

And as mentioned, PERFECT timing to try and save the Dil exchange... /s
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    westmetals wrote: »
    Is an extra personal trait actually worth thirty dollars? I don't mind paying for things but I'd have trouble justifying even five dollars on such a miniscule bonus.

It's not that much. 1500 zen for one captain, the 3000 is for a three-pack, and that's the list prices.

If you get the three-pack, on sale, and with zen also bought on sale, it comes out to more like $5-$6 per captain.

Oops, I was quickly skimming through it and misread it as 3k normal, 1.5k on sale, LOL. It still doesn't seem valuable enough for the price tag they put on it.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    $10 per captain in the 3-pack.

Maybe I will, maybe I won't bother.
  • drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    Honestly they could have set all these to be very high dilithium prices of like, 125k per trait, 300k for the kit module(it's an extra ability) and 250k for the device slot. Or even higher then that since it's just dilithium.

I price them high due on part of the prices of fleet traits which are actually more powerful, when you account for fleet rep costs(which has to be in large fleets assumed as 1 dil per fleet rep due to always being filled on everything else). I mean space rep trait is 125k dilithium? Same with ground, the ship trait 250 dil total?

It's also per character. Not account wide like the T6X upgrade.

I know, cryptic wants repeatable dil stuff but really, people also have alts they may invest in to once in a while. I have multiple characters with the ship trait, and rep traits unlocked. It gives me something to throw excess dilithium away on besides phoenix boxes.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    I'll also add this point of dilithium and "Oh if it's one time purchase only for a character it won't impace the dil exchange", the vanity shield one was worthless to most people, due to it being well, looks only. These have statistical effects and improvements, they are infinitely more valuable. Vanity items are in comparison usually worthless, your only getting them for looks, not what really matters; performance.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Neat. No thanks.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    it is a great idea, unfortunately i'm not interested because I don't buy bundles. I would have been interested only by the "1 Kit Module Slot" for my engineers.
    sadly this game has no microtransactions
    Post edited by sennahcherib on
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I assume by device they mean ship device. Sometimes the ground stuff are also called devices And I would actually love a 5th ground device slot.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Well, that's just silly.

(anyone else think this is a general bad sign of the direction things are going?)
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Oh good lord....
    1 Personal Space Trait Slot
    1 Person Ground Trait Slot
    1 Device Slot
    1 Kit Module Slot

I have no words.

Oh yeah - and could've sold them for Dil to solve the sink issue. But of course not.

Exactly what I was thinking. And they just further increased the demand for zen by the same margin. So not only did this not help the dilithium issue, they just made it that much worse instead.

And since they aren't stupid, it is safe to assume that it was intended. The longer people have to wait for their dilithium/Zen purchase, the more likely they are to use real money instead (for example for flash sales).
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Well, that's just silly.

(anyone else think this is a general bad sign of the direction things are going?)

Bloated "legendary" ship packs, overpriced gimicks, not good

• husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,589 Arc User
    Come one guys cut them some slack it took many developer hours to +1 that trait slot UI.

Really this would have actually been a pretty good way to at least mid term take some pressure off the dil exchange. I find it funny that they do a recruit rerun which actually gets the exchange flowing same day again... then they go and announce this the following Monday. [insert Picard face palm]

Reading the announcement I first thought oh good they did have a decent idea to take some pressure off... then I got to the Zen price, and got a little annoyed with myself for even thinking such a thing.
  • trekfangrrrl#6910 trekfangrrrl Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    Would you rather have the X upgrade tokens, these elite captain tokens, and things like personal endeavor perks, all of which are totally optional, and aren't required to play, or would you rather them up the level cap, make us grind out all the new levels, put out T7 ships, make us upgrade our items to MK20 Elite, etc. etc.?

Nobody is "making" you do anything. True, they are not making/requiring anyone to buy these new boosts. But even to use your example, even if they raised the level caps and gear levels, even that is not "making" anyone do anything. It's entirely optional.
    The fundamental difference is that, in this way, everything in the game around you remains the same. So you can chose to get stronger or not, and not miss out on not doing so. In increasing the level cap, everything in the game around you gets strong, so you are forced to do so yourself to keep up.

Apples vs oranges.

Yep, I use non-Fleet versions of many ships even though "better" fleet versions are available. I use many ships that haven't had the T6-X upgrade done. These are optional, and not having them has not kept me from playing any endgame content.

I guess this will "matter" in PVP, but almost no one plays that anyway and they already need to spend insane amounts of resources to climb to the top. An extra $7 (35% off sale) won't make a difference.

• dacia#9992 dacia Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    Wow, just imagine for just a second what it would have been like if you added these to the phoenix prize pack instead...
    dacia#9992 wrote: »
    Wow, just imagine for just a second what it would have been like if you added these to the phoenix prize pack instead...

Yep people would have been saying thank you. Cryptic still would have sold just as much and likely even more zen. Short sighted.
  • dacia#9992 dacia Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    husanakx wrote: »
    Yep people would have been saying thank you. Cryptic still would have sold just as much and likely even more zen. Short sighted.
    No, people would be complaining that because its locked behind the epic phoenix token that its impossible to get, so no one is going to go after them.

You're not wrong. People would have complained. They would have railed about how these traits are in no way worth the same as a ship. But you know what? People would have still bought them. They would have bought them for their mains. They would have bought them for their alts. They would have complained while doing it. But they would have done it.

And that's why adding them to the phoenix prize pack was the right move.

Why do you guys think these would have been in the EPIC cat.

The T6X ship tokens are UR. Which is where they should have been.
    Having said that I guess its not too late if Cryptic is listening. The T6X tokens are in the zen store and Phoenix during Phoenix promo periods. If they do both perhaps this could still be net downward pressure on the dil ex.
    edited September 2021
    husanakx wrote: »
    Having said that I guess its not too late if Cryptic is listening. The T6X tokens are in the zen store and Phoenix during Phoenix promo periods. If they do both perhaps this could still be net downward pressure on the dil ex.

Good idea. Give people a choice: spend zen for easy access, spend a mountain of dil for a bunch of tech upgrades and maybe a UR token if the RNG gods smile on you.

People won't spend zen to buy dil through the exchange to get these (since they can buy them directly) but some F2P people will spend piles of dil which will help reduce the over-supply of dil.
This discussion has been closed.