test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New event: FREE MIRROR GAGARIN

fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
As part of our upcoming content release, from September 14th to October 14th, PC Captains playing Star Trek Online will have access to a special event: Equal and Opposite. This new event will provide participating Captains with an impressive reward, the Mirror Universe Gagarin Warship (T6), along with Terran Empire Agony Phaser Weapon Packs and space weapon-specific Ultimate Tech Upgrades for the first character on your account to claim the prize. Read on to find out more about the event and its rewards.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497343-equal-and-opposite
[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    I suspected that the last event would be something big - many players already have the big prize pack after all. This event doesn't add progress for that, but I imagine the event that will complete the big campaign, might be even more interesting.

The ship isn't as good as the regular Gagarin though, in my opinion. It doesn't have the miracle worker seat (only Command). The console looks like it's a fun ability though.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Long live the Empire!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    This was a pleasant surprise, though imo they should've made this the new lockbox ship and made the Parliament the event reward.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I love Mirror skins... and i have a Mirror Captain that have every mirror ship (except the Guardian.. never got my hands on that one.. :neutral: ), so im quite happy with it!!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    This is good news for F2P players, a non-alien T6 event ship.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    This was a pleasant surprise, though imo they should've made this the new lockbox ship and made the Parliament the event reward.

Absolutely, yes! This would have been the way to go.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User

They like the cash monies, and will get more of them this way.

Which is fine with me, the people opening lock boxes will pay to keep things running and let them afford to give the F2P players the mirror ship.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    This is cool enough for people that don't own the good version of the Gagarin.

It's also great for me, because nothing here interests me and I can just take the next month off. :lol:

To be fair though, this is a very generous event reward and it's commendable anytime Cryptic gives away a T6 Starship. While this ship isn't the 'top of the line' you expect that from a free ship.

20 Daily Events for a T6 ship is a great player focused deal, and it's commendable. It does not interest me because simply put, I have no use for this ship, but I think this is overall a great promotion and I give them props for doing it.
    Post edited by seaofsorrows on
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    Redacted.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on

It's also great for me, because nothing here interests me and I can just take the next month off. :lol:

To be fair though, this is a very generous event reward and it's commendable anytime Cryptic gives away a T6 Starship. While this ship isn't the 'top of the line' you expect that from a free ship.

20 Daily Events for a T6 ship is a great player focused deal, and it's commendable. It does not interest me because simply put, I have no use for this ship, but I think this is overall a great promotion and I give them props for doing it.

You dont want a new skin for the Gagarin??, i love new skins, even better if it is free..
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I never got the popularity that the Gagarin enjoyed in the first place. I don't think it's such a spectacular design.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited September 2021
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I never got the popularity that the Gagarin enjoyed in the first place. I don't think it's such a spectacular design.​​

It's popularity has nothing to do with the design, the DPS crowd loves it because of its stats, seating, and trait.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I think this is extra nice & unexpected by Cryptic.

Is a "Mirror Gagarin" a STO creation or has it been in an episode somewhere?

Shield mod seems low but what I've seen of the Terrans to me it makes some sense.

Free to earn so that's good & some free appropriately themed weaponry too.

The laughable badside, to me, is the Lego multi-mission Miranda got weapons at 5/3 but Lego Battlecruiser DD & this Terran Warship get weapons at 4/4. I think Cryptic has really shown their biases recently.

Hopefully the new TFO will be good & fun to go alongside this nice free earnable prize.

Way to go Cryptic.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

It's popularity has nothing to do with the design, the DPS crowd loves it because of its stats, seating, and trait.

I can't say I understand that either. A full MW spec is obvious, however the trait has never impressed me. Its useless if you use torpedo spread normally because FAW 1 is easily a huge nerf to DPS for the huge acc penalty. And, if you have a ship that isn't using a torpedo skill, why are you equipping a torpedo? It seems like its niche for ships with only 2 or 3 tac BOFF slots to play with.

I can't say I understand that either. A full MW spec is obvious, however the trait has never impressed me. Its useless if you use torpedo spread normally because FAW 1 is easily a huge nerf to DPS for the huge acc penalty. And, if you have a ship that isn't using a torpedo skill, why are you equipping a torpedo? It seems like its niche for ships with only 2 or 3 tac BOFF slots to play with.

The value of the trait is that it gives FAW 100% up time while also giving you an extra torp spread. First you use FAW3, then when that's done you use torp spread to keep FAW going (even though it's only FAW1), and by the time that's finished FAW3 should be ready again (assuming you're using either A2B with Technician DOFFs or Photonic Officer 2).

For the ship itself it's not just full MW spec, it's full MW spec with 5/3 weapons.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I suspected that the last event would be something big - many players already have the big prize pack after all. This event doesn't add progress for that, but I imagine the event that will complete the big campaign, might be even more interesting.

The ship isn't as good as the regular Gagarin though, in my opinion. It doesn't have the miracle worker seat (only Command). The console looks like it's a fun ability though.

It's also a 4/4 ship, despite having much better turn rate than the standard Gagarin, which is a 5/3. Like, uhm, hello? These two are backwards. The quick-turning ships are the ones suited for more forward-arc weaponry. Slow-turning ships are really only suitable for broadside combat.

In either case, however, it's an event ship, and event ships never have commander-level specialization stations, which means it wouldn't have gotten the bonus console slot even if it was a MW ship. And once that is out of the picture, the value of MW specialization falls dramatically.

A nimble 4/4 ship is also good for a zig-zag or looping broadsider-plus-torpedo build or FAW builds. And yes, it is off-meta but how often have they offered a free T6 in a short-run (not campaign) event that isn't off-meta? And the Temer with its 5/1 arrangement just came out at the beginning of this year so it is about time for them to bring out another off-meta ship to try and get people to experiment more.

Even something as offbeat as the Ytjara which had been railed against as being the exact opposite of meta can make for an interesting and effective build for those not actively chasing the top DPS record.

The Parliament would not have fit the new content theme at all, not only is it not a Mirror universe ship, it isn't even a front-line warship, it seems to be more of an armed utility ship similar to the California class.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I like free ships.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    it is very generous, thx
    And who cares about dps, this ship is really cool
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Main reason I felt the original Gagarin was good was the BOff layout fit my personal playstyle more, and the 2 minute slipstream was nice. But I already had ships on my main that did the job. Still... its a good ship. And I'm looking forward to getting the mirror one, even if I'm just gonna have fun with the new hull material. I might decide to roll a Mirror themed character someday too so... more options. And again... free is free. I ain't arguin'.

I also noticed that the options include not only the new TFO and I'm guessing upcoming mission, it also includes an older TFO and mission. So we have options.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    This Ship would be nice to take out whenever I play dress up and RP my MU Counterpart, just wish I had friends I could invite to RP with.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I also noticed that the options include not only the new TFO and I'm guessing upcoming mission, it also includes an older TFO and mission. So we have options.

Yeah that part made me happy, I was initially afraid I was gonna have to suffer through ground queues for event progress 😱
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

You dont want a new skin for the Gagarin??, i love new skins, even better if it is free..

Not really.. no. I am not really into the mirror skins. I think I would rather have the month off. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Oh, now with another T6 version of the Gagarin we can lay the groundwork for a 'Legendary' Gagarin. Or is that In-famous? ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > I like free ships.

This.

As a f2p guy, I’ve only spent Zen on two purchases: The Gamma pack and the 3 31st century pack. Otherwise, I’m not spending real world money on any ships and not doing the whole “gamble box/play the market” jazz. The ships they’ve given away free have worked for me. I can hold my own in 99% of the content without getting frustrated with the “feeling outgunned/underpowered” that happens (looking at you Vaddies!). Unless I need a console or other item for a set bonus, I’ll stick with the free ships. If I like the way it looks, I’ll do the event. If not, I’ll pass. This one I may do when it comes to console because I like the way it looks and the console can be a benefit.
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User

I like this design the most of all the Federation ships. 5/3 MW for beam overload build is great. And the starship trait is also very good ( meta for torpedoes and/or BFAW).
    gaevsman wrote: »

Not really.. no. I am not really into the mirror skins. I think I would rather have the month off. :lol:

A month in the agony booth then! :smiley:
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Not really a fan of the ship design.
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User

The Regular Gagarin is one of the best Beam Boats in the game. This one looks like it might be a really good Torp Boat. Which is an interesting switch. They seem to have given us a lot of really good Torpedo Boats this year.
This discussion has been closed.