test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unlock New Slots for your Captain!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
Starting tomorrow on PC, you can purchase a token to grant your Captain extra Trait, Device, and Kit Module Slots!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497333
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• sierrafortunesierrafortune Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    This would work way better as a dil sink. Nothing on ground is hard enough to warrant a C-Store purchase of this nature, but I'd def grind it to get on my main and alts if it were dil.

Anyway if it's used like experimental ship upgrades I'll just wait for it show up an event reward.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    This would work way better as a dil sink. Nothing on ground is hard enough to warrant a C-Store purchase of this nature, but I'd def grind it to get on my main and alts if it were dil.

Anyway if it's used like experimental ship upgrades I'll just wait for it show up an event reward.

If players are turning their dilithium into zen then it still succeeds in being a sink.

I like this idea similar to those X-Upgrades & you're right Cryptic tosses those out now as rewards frequently.

Not sure if I'll buy any or many yet since Ground isn't really a focus in STO.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    This is very nice. It'll open up so many more possibilities on some of my toons. I had this grenade-only toon for example who can now also add a stun ability for example.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    If players are turning their dilithium into zen then it still succeeds in being a sink.

No, this does the opposite. You want people to be turning zen into dilithium, not the other way around. This makes the exchange problem worse.
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Come on do we really need more power creep?. The V-Rex already dies within a second to the silo campers making it hard to get tags. Now it's going to be instant vape.

The Fleet Research Holding already offers a similar service why put this additional service in the Zen store instead of expanding it as a commodity to spend dil on?
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • bumblebeeb2#4088 bumblebeeb2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Dil sink would also work. But this just doesn't feel right for me. Next "P2W" step. If these can be earned in game I will not be that critical. So if these will be future rewards for participating in events they just line in with the existing items. That's ok. Wouldn't change of what we already are.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    An extra Space trait, okay.

An extra Ground trait, well, I suppose I could find something.

An extra Device slot seems sorta useless to me. But then again, I can't think of a single thing that even goes in a device slot that I actually use.

An extra Kit Module slot might be alright.

So, we can pick and choose which thing we want and pay Dilithium for it? No?

Umm, okay, so it's a reward for the new missions coming out? No?

Oh, it's 1.5k Zen and works across all characters on my account? No?

You want me to pay 1.5k Zen for each Captain I'd like to use this on? No.

This could have been a GREAT Dil sink, something to help the Dilithium Exchange. Instead, we get this. I personally see no real point in this, especially as a per character unlock. I don't knock its existence, only its implementation.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Terrible idea, not interested at all.

Again, to be clear.. not a knock on Kael.. I understand he's just the messenger here, but the people making the decisions at Cryptic really do take clueless to a new level.

This could have worked as a Dilithium sink, but instead is just another promo that inflates the value of Zen and makes the Dilithium exchange problem even worse. A pointless and utterly tone deaf addition to the game.

Pass on this, and pretty much this game as a whole anymore.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • dariusturaldariustural Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Terrible idea, not interested at all.

Again, to be clear.. not a knock on Kael.. I understand he's just the messenger here, but the people making the decisions at Cryptic really do take clueless to a new level.

This could have worked as a Dilithium sink, but instead is just another promo that inflates the value of Zen and makes the Dilithium exchange problem even worse. A pointless and utterly tone deaf addition to the game.

Pass on this, and pretty much this game as a whole anymore.

^ Enough said.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    What everyone else said -- come on, guys. this really really really should have been for dilithium. Really really.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    They could even have done both. Buy the pack once as Elite with Zen then use Dill to unlock on extra toons. More people would have done that leading to more money being made for Cryptic and happier players.
    Post edited by pottsey5g on
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    They could even have done both. Buy the pack once as Elite then use Dill to unlock on extra toons. More people would have done that leading to more money being made for Cryptic and happier players.

Ya know, that's actually not a bad idea at all. I could support something like that.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • o0galathor0oo0galathor0o Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Zen store won't see me anyway before the exchange lets me get Zen for Dili again. And even then...1st.: I don't fancy ground missions anyway, and 2nd.: these prices for character bound tokens? No way, I wouldn't afford that for all of my captains.
    ~ Don't blame the clown for being a clown, blame yourself for going to the circus ~
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,929 Arc User
    The T6-X Upgrades are definitely much more useful as we might have many, many ships we want to use them on.
    However, we only have a few characters we would really play (or maybe we just focus on one), so this new item has a much more limited use. This is what makes me want to agree with a previous comment that this should be something that's for sale using Dilithium, not Zen.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Yeah. Other than something for top endgame people to spend money on, I'm not sure who they're marketing to on this one. Even then, are there enough people out there now who play ground? I've been away for a while. Or is this a hint that they're spending time on overhauling ground combat in the next year or two?
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »

No, this does the opposite. You want people to be turning zen into dilithium, not the other way around. This makes the exchange problem worse.

Oh ok, thank goodness I don't play with the dilithium market much then. I've never turned zen into dilithium & only turned dilithium into zen a few times. I mostly just buy zen when it's on sale/bonus, but do that less & less, which makes me wonder if Cryptic even cares about players that buy zen versus just converting dilithium into zen?
  • skk1701jskk1701j Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    I would prefer an universal consol slot. I'm missing Motion Accelerator on non TAC characters. Especially when doing tagging and other thinks speed is useful.
    Ground shield / hp heal Endeavor is so much easier for ENG than TAC.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Actually this reminds me of how more broken maps like Dyson ground maps are going to be with another kit module adding onto the already seconds one person can destroy the V-Rex's. So really people who are buying these are going to further cause additional problems on top of already painfully broken ones before doing this.
    Post edited by trillbuffet on
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    They could even have done both. Buy the pack once as Elite with Zen then use Dill to unlock on extra toons. More people would have done that leading to more money being made for Cryptic and happier players.

I agree with this suggestion.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • ulmanchunulmanchun Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    Wait, wait, wait. so when you buy one of these token, would it be bound to account or can you like buy that three... which you use one and sell the other two on exchange. If it truly like the experimental ship token then we should be able to sell it on the exchange. gonna be expensive as hell but will be wait for a free drop from kinda event or just give us one free one to tempt us to buy more like what they did for the experimental ship token on the first day of it's release.
  • skk1701jskk1701j Member Posts: 243 Arc User

This would actually be very BAD as a dil sink because good dil sinks are something you need to invest in over and over. You only need these tokens once per character, and typically speaking most MMO players only have about 3 characters.

STO is based on multiple characters. With the Time I have 8+

fed, kling, rom, delta recruit, temporal recruit, gamma recruit, discovery, kling recruit

• cmdth0r#8402 cmdth0r Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    regardless of it costs dil or ZEN, bound or not, nice to see this comming our wey,....

what would rly make this even better would be a aditiohnal armor slot, exclusive for enviromentral suits...
  • xceptionalzeroxceptionalzero Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    OK....But only if you create more groud devices to make use of the slot (massive lack of non consumable devices for space and ground)
    Also buff the hp of ground battlezone bosses..i.e vrex....it dies in seconds to a few ground captains currently
This discussion has been closed.