test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this new Mirror update the same as Picard's upcoming?

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
We've all seen the trailer, Q's altered timeline looks more like the Mirror Universe...so is this STO update mirroring (no pun intended) that, or is Picard about to pull the rug out from under STO and undermine this update?

I would have loved this new Picard twist, because I'm not really sure how the Mirror one is going to work...unless is TOS and would be cool, but it just seems like really bad timing to have THIS arc and then Picard's coming right after.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    How does Picard's trailer look like the MU?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    No connection so far as can ascertain. The Picard S2 trailer has Picard describes a "totalitarian regime" and from what we've seen it isn't the Terran Empire running things:
    WEBzOaU.png
    That logo is reminiscent of the UFP. And Q describes whatever he's done as "the road not taken". So seems more like an alt-Federation in an alternate reality rather than the Mirror universe/Terran Empire.

does this mean that this version of Elnor isn't an orphan anymore?
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    We've all seen the trailer, Q's altered timeline looks more like the Mirror Universe...so is this STO update mirroring (no pun intended) that, or is Picard about to pull the rug out from under STO and undermine this update?

I would have loved this new Picard twist, because I'm not really sure how the Mirror one is going to work...unless is TOS and would be cool, but it just seems like really bad timing to have THIS arc and then Picard's coming right after.

Picard Season 2 isn't the MU, it's a totalitarian version of the Federation but since they aren't using a Terran insignia I think humans probably aren't sadistic and back stabbing like they are in the MU (otherwise why not just use the MU instead of inventing a whole new alternate universe?).
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    It's typically considered that prime UFP is the best humanity can be, while the Terran Empire is humanity at its worst, this probably a totalitarian version of UFP but not quite as bad as the Terran Empire. Think more like as UFP ruled by extremists rather then the Terran Empire.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    So, a universe where Terra Prime won.

Or one where Leyton's coup went off without a hitch.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    So, a universe where Terra Prime won.

Or one where Leyton's coup went off without a hitch.​​
    Given that the trailer has them coming back to modern day Earth, the divergence is much earlier then that.

like i said...

another time travel BS story were a timeline has to be corrected. stuffs getting old. like when there were nothing but zombies in games or movies or shows for like a billion years. timeline TRIBBLE has the same effect now.

As long as the story is good I don't mind, I always love a good time travel story!
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Looks like they're going back to modern day, so what happened to the Eugenics Wars of 1992-1996? Did Khan win in this universe?
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    star trek is sick of all these temporal and mirror stupidities. It is just a lack of imagination. My last hope is Strange new worlds.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I didn't mean that it was THE Mirror Universe, just that if there's going to be an update that's even remotely similar...why not have it be the most current and relevant one, as happening in the active and running series?

It would have been terrific to have a Mirror instead of that awful and horrifically "written" last Klingon one.
    I don't understand why the screenwriters write always the same things (or similar things). The galaxy is vast, the universe is even bigger; but no! they always use the same mirror and temporal stuff, it is lazyness.

Our galaxy is so huge that they could add thousand of new civilizations, to help or fight
    Everything in the universe is linked by the dark matter (a kind of web), why they can't create a passage between the milky way and the Triangulum galaxy, not something permanent, just a temporary passage where some ships (a convoy for example) would be have been diverted. It would be a whole new galaxy to explore. Or they can use the Local group.
    Science and science-fiction offer a lot of possiblities but these possibilities are almost never used.

the star trek franchise becomes redundant.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Ok... for clarification in case anyone was unaware...

Cryptic had planned on doing a Mirror Arc right after Victory is Life, but then got the green light to play with Discovery stuff, so they pushed the Mirror Arc back. Now they're getting to it, WITH the added bonus of we have Mirror Tilly running around as a potential participant as well.

As for Picard going into an Alternate Reality direction with whatever shenanigans Q is pulling... Star Trek has explored many alternate realities because, like Sliders, it can be the same yet different. Something new to explore, especially with the fallout of whatever change occured. As for time travel into modern times... I personaly find it entertaining because you're taking the characters and putting them someplace they don't understand. They're fish out of water. One of the best examples of this is actually one of the most well liked movies, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

As for exploring other galaxies... Federation technology is not advanced enough to allow for that in any capacity. They'd need either something like an Iconian Gate or a Spore Drive with proper coordinates. On top of that... the Delta Quadrant is still largely unexplored itself. I'd also mention Gamma, but the Dominion's probably everywhere.
    The limiting factor... is technological level and FTL speed.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    As for time travel into modern times... I personaly find it entertaining because you're taking the characters and putting them someplace they don't understand. They're fish out of water.

What I personally dislike about it is that modern day doesn't fit into the Trek continuity. Thirty-seven million people died in the '90s of the Trek universe during the Eugenics Wars, an event that obviously never happened in the real world.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Time travel and alterneties are "boring"? Tell that to Poul Andersen, whose works included the Time Patrol series. Or fifty-plus years of Doctor Who. Or the first two years of Sliders. Or Larry Niven, author of the Svetz stories. Or...

(And Niven is both - every time Svetz rode the extension cage past about 100 Ante-Atomic, when the concept of time travel entered the realms of SF, he voyaged into worlds of pure fantasy. That's how he got a "Gila monster" that breathed flame, a pale "Leviathan" that had come minus one eye and with a fellow named Ahab strapped to its side, and an unusually intelligent dog who had been a werewolf before she jumped into the cage to come back with him.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • poddlipoddli Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Picard S2 cannot be set in the MU. There were no goatees, skin-tight latex bodysuits, or eyepatches in the trailer.

Cryptic had planned on doing a Mirror Arc right after Victory is Life, but then got the green light to play with Discovery stuff, so they pushed the Mirror Arc back. Now they're getting to it, WITH the added bonus of we have Mirror Tilly running around as a potential participant as well.

As for Picard going into an Alternate Reality direction with whatever shenanigans Q is pulling... Star Trek has explored many alternate realities because, like Sliders, it can be the same yet different. Something new to explore, especially with the fallout of whatever change occured. As for time travel into modern times... I personaly find it entertaining because you're taking the characters and putting them someplace they don't understand. They're fish out of water. One of the best examples of this is actually one of the most well liked movies, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

As for exploring other galaxies... Federation technology is not advanced enough to allow for that in any capacity. They'd need either something like an Iconian Gate or a Spore Drive with proper coordinates. On top of that... the Delta Quadrant is still largely unexplored itself. I'd also mention Gamma, but the Dominion's probably everywhere.

yes, Star Trek has explored alternate realities a lot of time, so it is maybe time to do something else :| Like you said there is still a lof of things to discover in the galaxy.
    it is science-fiction! there is no limiting factors. the mushroom stuff is the best example.
    yes, I want something new instead of having the same stuff used again and again and again. And for the temporal stuff, as I don't believe in predestination, everything seems totally ridiculous in Star Trek, and a lot of flaws in the scenarios make these stories even dumber (I'm currently watching ST: enterprise and its abominable temporal war)
    And Q!, what could I say, maybe just, lol.

strangely, I can't wait to see the next season of Discovery, maybe in this new millennium it will be different (no goatee, no crop-tops, no borg, etc), just something new.
    Picard will be for me a huge pass, but i hope that you guys will enjoy it.

What I personally dislike about it is that modern day doesn't fit into the Trek continuity. Thirty-seven million people died in the '90s of the Trek universe during the Eugenics Wars, an event that obviously never happened in the real world.
    37 million people is like 1/10 of only America's population. You could eliminate 37 million people today and not even notice they were gone if it was spread out world wide.

Yes, but the ripple effects from large scale wars like that would make the 2020s of the Trek universe very different from real life. They could address that by doing things like having a completely fictional US President, fake movie posters outside of theaters, etc, but I fully expect them to reference real world stuff instead which simply doesn't fit post-1992 imo.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    I don't understand why the screenwriters write always the same things (or similar things).
    There's a couple reasons.

One, is that Star Trek, as an IP, has already done pretty much everything... usually twice. We have species of every kind from warriors, to merchants, to religious, to xenophobic, to matriarchal, that cover pretty much every major species people could want including cats, dogs, spiders, and all kinds of reptiles. There is very little they could add at this point that wouldn't just be a repeat of something else they have already done.

Two is that fans typically don't want IPs to keep making up new things. They get attached to certain alien races like the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, Dominion, Borg, etc. and want to see more of those. People want to see things they have history with, and invested in, not something someone pulled out of nothing much later. Especially when "new thing" is really just "old thing" with a different name and paint job.

Third is that what people expect out of television has massively changed since TNG aired. People don't want episodic shows, they want more narrative focused television, and, especially recently, want shorter shows. You can see this with the success of the MCU television shows like Wandavision, Loki, and Falcon and the Winter Solder, all of which were very plot focused, and only had like 8 episodes. You aren't going to be introducing a whole lot of new concepts in formats like those, since there isn't a lot of time to do.
    Everything in the universe is linked by the dark matter (a kind of web), why they can't create a passage between the milky way and the Triangulum galaxy, not something permanent, just a temporary passage where some ships (a convoy for example) would be have been diverted. It would be a whole new galaxy to explore. Or they can use the Local group.
    This would just be Voyager 2: Electric Boogaloo, and falls exactly into what I said about Star Trek having done everything. "ship falls into/get pulled into far away place and has to deal with tons of new races while cut off from what we know!"

And what races would we encounter there? warriors(not-Klingons), spies(not-Romulans), merchants(not-Ferengi), religious aliens(not-Bajorans), probably some peaceful alliance of races(not-Federation), maybe a machine species(not-Borg)... you get the drift. Why make up a bunch of new aliens to do the same thing the already existing aliens do?
    37 million people is like 1/10 of only America's population. You could eliminate 37 million people today and not even notice they were gone if it was spread out world wide.

everything must evolve, even tv shows.
    poddli wrote: »
    Picard S2 cannot be set in the MU. There were no goatees, skin-tight latex bodysuits, or eyepatches in the trailer.

Why do people think that everyone in the Mirror Universe has a goatee when in Star Trek it only applies to Vulcans, sorry had to get that out of the way.
  • poddlipoddli Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    poddli wrote: »

Why do people think that everyone in the Mirror Universe has a goatee when in Star Trek it only applies to Vulcans, sorry had to get that out of the way.

Bah, bringing your logic and canon into this spoils my lame and facetious comment. :)

Personally, I don't see Disco as an evolution...it's badly written, with no character development and a thoroughly unpleasant perversion of everything that came before. There are no original ideas, so they go back on everything that was previously done well and taint it.

It's producer-driven garbage, which I've hoped would get cancelled since season one.

Sorry if that's harsh and I don't mean to pick a fight or insult anyone who actually enjoys it, but that's just my personal opinion.

What a crying shame. A MU Arc then would have been FANTASTIC and so organic.
    edited September 2021

Now that we're done the Klingon civil war, never understood the klingorcs nickname for Discovery Klingons since TNG Klingons were more like orcs, however if Operation Wolf is any indication, we're clearly moving back to a Terran Empire arc.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator

Think about it though. What's one thing that was added that is mirror related? Captain Tilly. She didn't go back with ISS Discovery. She's still out there somewhere in the 25th Century. So... in theory, that is something that can come into play with the new arc. On top of that, some of the stuff developed during the Discovery and Klingon Civil War arcs can be used in the new arc.

And I smell possible Mirror Lockbox goodness, unless they plan to retroactively add the new Terran badge to the existing mirror uniform unlocks.
    Now that we're done the Klingon civil war, never understood the klingorcs nickname for Discovery Klingons...

I think it has to do with their appearance, and the fact they behaved more like TNG Klingons than TOS Klingons. I admit I didn't like how they looked in season 1, but the fact they listened and smoothed out their facial features and gave them their hair back... they look pretty decent now. Biggest thing was the hair for sure.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

Think about it though. What's one thing that was added that is mirror related? Captain Tilly. She didn't go back with ISS Discovery. She's still out there somewhere in the 25th Century. So... in theory, that is something that can come into play with the new arc. On top of that, some of the stuff developed during the Discovery and Klingon Civil War arcs can be used in the new arc.

And I smell possible Mirror Lockbox goodness, unless they plan to retroactively add the new Terran badge to the existing mirror uniform unlocks.
    Now that we're done the Klingon civil war, never understood the klingorcs nickname for Discovery Klingons...

I think it has to do with their appearance, and the fact they behaved more like TNG Klingons than TOS Klingons. I admit I didn't like how they looked in season 1, but the fact they listened and smoothed out their facial features and gave them their hair back... they look pretty decent now. Biggest thing was the hair for sure.

Well, instead of shoehorning Disco in, couldn't we have continued on from the last time we saw it in the late 24th Century? I love the idea of Leeta, although I don't think it's ever really been explained about her relationship to the Pah'wraiths. I REALLY wish it would continue "The Fallen" video game idea of evil Orbs, their own wormhole, etc.

And there was a GREAT opportunity to bring Michael Dorn back as bisexual Emperor Worf. And bisexual Intendant Kira...why can't we have all the great names and bisexuals back!
  • ktanner3#8874 ktanner3 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    After the letdown of Discovery, the BORING Picard and the slapstick garbage that is Lower Decks, I'm very much in wait and see mode.
This discussion has been closed.