test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playable Terrans coming?

Comments

• horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Just make a Terran as a 23rd C/ standard/DISC Fed captain. There are Terran traits, ship's and outfits available so it goes beyond being, "just a costume" as it stands. As someone else said they don't need an, "edgy Fed" faction. The only upside would be a "Dark ESD" for them to migrate to where chat could be a public toilet. Celebrations were held in every other zone.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Just make a Terran as a 23rd C/ standard/DISC Fed captain. There are Terran traits, ship's and outfits available so it goes beyond being, "just a costume" as it stands. As someone else said they don't need an, "edgy Fed" faction. The only upside would be a "Dark ESD" for them to migrate to where chat could be a public toilet. Celebrations were held in every other zone.

IDK I personally like the Terran holiday called Emperor-Con, it's where a bunch of Terran Emperors are summoned from all across time, via cloning, time travel, ect to talk about their glory days and how each of them rose to power, there's also a lot of backstabbing and political intrigue involved, plus I get to show off my Mirror Spock and talk about glorious reforms like building the Department of Temporal Conquest, and giving aliens species equal rights within the empire even if it may or may not have lead to it's downfall.
  • discojer2#5455 discojer2 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    The main thing with playable Terrans is some sort of Terran recruitment event. If they intend to have recruit events happening regularly, they can't just keep using the old ones over and over,
    how about my idea of the "Terran Recruitment Event." and it'll cover every Fed faction from TOS Starfleet to 25th century Starfleet to even DSC Starfleet.

I personally want Ambassador Kael to see this brilliant idea of mine, just to get his opinion.
    The main thing with playable Terrans is some sort of Terran recruitment event. If they intend to have recruit events happening regularly, they can't just keep using the old ones over and over,

I see we had the exact same Idea, you know what they say about great minds.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I love the idea of more Mirror universe stuff. Lorca and The Empress (Michelle Yeoh's character) were the best parts of Disco. She was so lovably, shamelessly naughty, and Lorca was just plain badass. That "caedite eos" attitude really works for me and my characters.
    edited September 2021
    I love the idea of more Mirror universe stuff. Lorca and The Empress (Michelle Yeoh's character) were the best parts of Disco. She was so lovably, shamelessly naughty, and Lorca was just plain badass. That "caedite eos" attitude really works for me and my characters.

I don't get why some people hate mirror universe content, Mirror Universe episodes are some of the best since they're enjoyed by both Old Trek and NuTrek fans alike regardless of the era they were made in.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    Would a playable Terran actually be any fun though? I mean, the Mirror Universe itself is great...everyone's TRIBBLE, bisexual and a tramp; they get to dress as sleazily as they like, in catsuits, sports bras and daisy dukes and being naughty is the norm!

I just don't see us being able to have THAT much fun...prove me wrong! The Mirror "sadomasochism" Arc, with all the trimmings would certainly liven things up.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User

I think the essence of Emperor Georgiou is best summed up by this exchange:

Philippa Georgiou: "You are savvier than he was."
    Paul Stamets: "Um, you- you do know that he's TRIBBLE, right?"
    Philippa Georgiou: "Don't be so binary. In my universe, he was pansexual, and we had DEFCON-level fun together. And you too, Papi."
    Hugh Culber: "Did you just call me 'Papi'?
    Paul Stamets: "Uh, well, in my universe and pretty much any universe I can possibly imagine, I’m TRIBBLE. And so is he."
    Philippa Georgiou: "Of course you are. I’m glad we all see what’s right in front of us. And now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to talk to Captain Pike about setting a course for Essof Four."
    Sylvia Tilly: *freaked-out whispering* "What just happened?!"​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited September 2021
    Me and Mirror Daniels already picked out the 25th century Terran Emperor's replacement, using time travel tech, and I already like Idea of having Emperor vs Emperor/Empress combat.

99c7b18921569be092a24b4172e3a4bd.jpg

b89070a2e77699d509cdd46a4437c64d.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Even if the devs were interested in making another subfaction or demifaction what could they do that they have not already done by making the uniforms, ship paint, and whatnot availible? Mirror Terran is an attitude difference, not a technological or racial one (besides the eye mutation, which is also covered by the resequencer that is already in the game).

I think the essence of Emperor Georgiou is best summed up by this exchange:

Philippa Georgiou: "You are savvier than he was."
    Paul Stamets: "Um, you- you do know that he's TRIBBLE, right?"
    Philippa Georgiou: "Don't be so binary. In my universe, he was pansexual, and we had DEFCON-level fun together. And you too, Papi."
    Hugh Culber: "Did you just call me 'Papi'?
    Paul Stamets: "Uh, well, in my universe and pretty much any universe I can possibly imagine, I’m TRIBBLE. And so is he."
    Philippa Georgiou: "Of course you are. I’m glad we all see what’s right in front of us. And now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to talk to Captain Pike about setting a course for Essof Four."
    Sylvia Tilly: *freaked-out whispering* "What just happened?!"​​

I just saw that! I was re-watching S2 of Disco. It was hilarious. Tilly was great in her role, as always.
    Here in RL Argentina, I get called "papi" all the time.

• joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Cryptic has said in the past that negative reaction to missions like "Renegades Regret" have shown most people don't want to do the kinds of things an "evil" character like a Terran would do.

How much of that negative reaction actually was the idea of wiping out planets full of life, and how much of that was the fact that Renegade's Regret is buggy as hell? (Especially in the space phases.) If people were so hell-bent against playing "bad guys", no one would play Chaos in the Warhammer games. Or Crypto in "Destroy All Humans". Or Sith or Dark Jedi (or Imperials, for that matter) in any Star Wars game.

Me, personally, I like playing villains. But to each their own.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    I doubt a Mirror faction would be viable. As content it should be a fun arc but beyond white hat/black hat demographics pragmatism works against the concept.

Look at the homogenized story system that is the state of the game. Yokeing the Feds, to the Klingons, to the Romulans, then the Dominion has been a nightmare in motivations and morality resulting in the Coalition.

If there is a draw to the Terran it's that they are a dark reflection of the ideals of the Federation. Presenting this faction as in alignment with a blanket hegemony of order is the antithesis of what made them what they were.

I don't think anyone would be happy with the result. The amount of work and reworking to conform Terrans to the story would be a significant undertaking that would likely end in unprecedented criticisms. Given everything that's come before that's a lot.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

edited September 2021
    joshmaul wrote: »
    How much of that negative reaction actually was the idea of wiping out planets full of life, and how much of that was the fact that Renegade's Regret is buggy as hell? (Especially in the space phases.)
    I've never had issues with the mission when I played it.

And the negative was thread upon thread of people going "I cant finish this mission because the thought of killing all these people was so disgusting to me!" and other similar comments.
    joshmaul wrote: »
    If people were so hell-bent against playing "bad guys", no one would play Chaos in the Warhammer games. Or Crypto in "Destroy All Humans". Or Sith or Dark Jedi (or Imperials, for that matter) in any Star Wars game.
    Well no. Just because most people don't like doing it doesn't mean no one likes doing it. The world does not exist in an all or nothing state. And, generally speaking, the "badguy" path is chosen far less then the good guy one.

I know in Fallout New Vegas(on Steam) for instance
    • The NCR ending was obtained by 7.1% of people
    • The House ending was obtained by 5.6% of people
    • The Yes-Man ending was obtained by 5.2% of people
    • The Legion ending was obtained by 3.9% of people
    Similarly, back in 2020 it was reported from Bioware that 92% of people who played Mass Effect went Paragon over Renegade.

The same is true of City of Heroes/ City of Villains. Where people who worked on the game commented that significantly fewer people actually made a villain compared to those who made a hero.

Good to know that I was in 3.9% of New Vegas players and that was my good playthrough, sure the cannibalism wasn't helping, but for most part it was only targeted towards bad guys like Raiders, Caesar Legion was one of the few fallout factions that actually made stop and think about how I was doing things, are they the most ethnica?l Hell No!, but they were the best shot at bringing order and normalcy to the Mojave Wasteland.
  • psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 165 Arc User

This was also a big issue as far back as City of Heroes/Villains. A lot of effort was put into the City of Villains release, and relatively few people actually ended up playing the villains because the vast majority of people want to be heroes.

You are a tad miss informed on that. Many players played villains and later the preatorians. The problem was that when the villains portion dropped they made it no longer possible to play with your friends.....you had to either be a villain or hero. And they tried to impose constant PVP on each other. With many players using hacks and exploits. And in fact you can look this up, there was a deliberate alteration to some the pvp villain verus heroes zones to give heroes an advantage. To a point that the drones would do nothing to heroes if they just sat inthe villian respawn spots. That was finally changed after many many players begged for it to be changed, and ridiculed them with videos.

Eventualy cryptic implemented a way to change from a hero to villain and villain to hero....which made alot of people do all the content on single characters.
    And then eventually made it so you could play any of the archtypes whether you where a hero or villain or which ever side of the preatorians you chose to start.

The Terran part though making it a new major race....that would be a heck of alot of work.....thats a huge amount of stuff for the races already in the game to do mirror version content.
    Even if it was only the Terran Empire....that would take a bit....as i think we all know from watching discovery and learning about the new trek series coming that the powers that are in charge of all that have a lot of stuff planned.
    I dont think we would see any new major faction until after Section 31 starts airing.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• trekfangrrrl#6910 trekfangrrrl Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    Som is right on the more heroes than villains thing, and it's easy to prove at this very moment.

I won't actually link to it because it might be against the rules, but the server status page for the main COH emu shows how many people are online, and shows the number of heroes and villains.

As of this post it is 972 Heroes and 175 Villains. And it's pretty much always like that, TBH.

So yeah, it's pretty lopsided.
    Most people would want to play heroes since it means getting to play as the protagonists, society has a massive hero complex, personally I perfer being the villain, I've known how it is like to rejected by society just for being different than the Norm, and I too had plotted world domination in the past, I'm currenty on break due to Covid, and sure good guys get appraised and accepted and always get the girl, however villains get the best weapons and the best costumes, they're just really cool, we don't need the power of friendship since we're capable of doing everything ourselves.
    Most people would want to play heroes since it means getting to play as the protagonists, society has a massive hero complex, personally I perfer being the villain, I've known how it is like to rejected by society just for being different than the Norm, and I too had plotted world domination in the past, I'm currenty on break due to Covid, and sure good guys get appraised and accepted and always get the girl, however villains get the best weapons and the best costumes, they're just really cool, we don't need the power of friendship since we're capable of doing everything ourselves.

4Hk6Wxq.jpg

City of Heroes/City of Villains is far from the only example. Two other superhero games that allow you to walk on the dark side show the same thing, in DCUO the villain HQs are almost always less busy than the hero ones at any given time and in League of Maidens chat is flagged with the character alignment along with a world map of the faction-held areas and the traditional hero side is clearly in the majority.
    Even in SWTOR Sith are a very popular option, people just love playing the role of villains.
    edited September 2021
    Even in SWTOR Sith are a very popular option, people just love playing the role of villains.

SWTOR is an odd case though, part of the popularity is actually that the Sith voice acting is more entertaining. The Sith sorceress seems to be a particular favorite because of the snarky humor and the way the voice actress sounds.

A lot (though not all of course) of the Sith players actually play close to the hero line, the "use evil powers to do good" anti-hero types are very popular in fiction and that trend is not that different in games. In fact, I think that is one of the reasons they dropped the alignment level requirements for various blade colors.
  • smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    I suspect that if Mirror universe characters ever become an option, there will be a new storyline that is a lot like the Romulan Republic line, where the characters are "freedom fighters" rebelling against the Terran Empire. They would manage to come through to this universe as refugees or something, and after that could join the Klingons or Federation just like Romulan characters can.

I wouldn't mind that tbh.
    smi3th wrote: »
    I suspect that if Mirror universe characters ever become an option, there will be a new storyline that is a lot like the Romulan Republic line, where the characters are "freedom fighters" rebelling against the Terran Empire. They would manage to come through to this universe as refugees or something, and after that could join the Klingons or Federation just like Romulan characters can.

My new AoY character has that background more or less, and I have seen a few others who have similar backgrounds. Mirror rebels do seem popular, but they don't really require full demifaction levels of support from the game since the costumes, gear, ships, and whatnot are already there.
    edited September 2021
    smi3th wrote: »

Um... What? In what multiverse would Terrans and Klingons ever become allies, at least Fed aligned Terrans make sense since the Federation had occasionally worked with them, most of the Terran Empires's sucesses can be traced back to Federation interference.
    Terrans may not be new species sure, but part of their appeal is that they come from another universe, Space may be big but the Multiverse is bigger, and we barely scratched the surface of the mirror universe we don't know how radically different everything is over there, Mirror Vulcans have goatees and Mirror Bajorans are fun to be around, sorry I just find Prime Bajoran culture boring.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    can't wait to see the mirror wizzard of Oz. :#
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I find it unlikely.

Cryptic has said in the past that negative reaction to missions like "Renegades Regret" have shown most people don't want to do the kinds of things an "evil" character like a Terran would do.

This was also a big issue as far back as City of Heroes/Villains. A lot of effort was put into the City of Villains release, and relatively few people actually ended up playing the villains because the vast majority of people want to be heroes.

Some of my favourite characters were villains, including my Robotics/Force Field Mastermind :smiley:

I just really, really dispised the PvP aspect of City of Heroes/Villains. Trying to get the exploration badges in those zones was annoying.
This discussion has been closed.