test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Operation: Wolf (New TFO)

reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,367 Arc User
https://arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11496633
d180962cb1fb228e0e1c1c19c77575d11630643204.jpg

Looks interesting!
Who wants to wager that there'll be some Terran backstabbing/treachery involved? ;)

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,559 Arc User
    Watching paint dry is more entertaining than playing through a ground queue in STO ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 7,532 Arc User
    Interesting... a ground TFO set on perhaps the most familiar map in the entire game.

It reminds me a bit of that one mission when they replaced ESD... but of course, that was an episode, not a TFO.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    Watching paint dry is more entertaining than playing through a ground queue in STO ...

Depends on the ground queue. The old Borg ones, yeah, I'd agree with that... Pahvo was okay... don't think I've really done any other ones, actually. Mainly because watching paint dry is more entertaining than waiting for a ground queue in STO. :lol:
    i5lQODy.jpg
    "Ah, for just one time, I would take the Northwest Passage
    To find the hand of Franklin reaching for the Beaufort Sea
    Tracing one warm line through a land so wide and savage
    And make a Northwest Passage to the sea."

- Stan Rogers (1949-1983)

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 15,367 Arc User

Depends on the queue really. I mean, I actually really enjoy some of them. I really enjoy Miner Instabilities and Brotherhood of the Sword for example, and I used to love 'Mine Trap'.

I'll reserve judgement on this new one until have played it, but it's an interesting concept.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    For some reason the writing of that scene bothered me. Can't put my finger on it though.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 2,987 Arc User
    Hm, I had hoped for something like Wolf 359 when I read the thread title. Instead we're getting more Mirror Morons.

(Not criticising Cryptic here, I just hate the Mirror universe and everything related to it - their empire ought to be even more unstable than the Klingon one and thus long gone with all the constant betrayal, infighting and so on. Not the most convincing enemy imo.)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    Looks like the TFO could be a prelude to a mirror season. Chase Masterson is the VA who has been away for a while and "Wolf" is a training sim to fight the Terran Empire. How did she get booted out of power, what became of her Pah Wraith tricks, and what is the state of the Empire at present? I wonder who the Emperor is?
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

edited September 2021
    For some reason the writing of that scene bothered me. Can't put my finger on it though.

Not sure - but I, for one, am expecting some (sadly predictable) treachery/betrayal from Admiral Leeta. No idea how she came to be working with Starfleet but, again, can be pretty certain that she'll backstab 'us' as soon as the opportunity presents itself (which is liable to be an episode a little later into the story that seems to be forming here). She's predictably untrustworthy.
    joshmaul wrote: »

Depends on the ground queue.
    reyan01 wrote: »

Depends on the queue really.
    For me it doesn't depend on the queue at all, it's the gameplay itself that I find boring. STO ground tries to be a combination of third person shooter and classic MMO, but fails miserably at being enjoyable at all. Third person shooters are fast paced and require good aim and positioning, classic MMO combat is somewhat slower but gives you a large number of abilities to cycle through in a rotation. In STO aim and positioning are irrelevant and you're given too few abilities which have too long of a cooldown to make a rotation possible, making it the absolute worst of both worlds.

Back when the game was first being developed they should have either made ground a full blown shooter, or stuck to the classic MMO rotation style.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 54,818 Community Moderator
    (Not criticising Cryptic here, I just hate the Mirror universe and everything related to it - their empire ought to be even more unstable than the Klingon one and thus long gone with all the constant betrayal, infighting and so on. Not the most convincing enemy imo.)

To be fair... they DID collapse before DS9 dove into the Mirror. The Terran Empire we're dealing with in STO is basically a resurgent, reformed Empire after the Rebellion took Terok Nor with their copy of Defiant.

What I'm interested in... is WHY THE HELL IS LEETA HELPING US? Pretty much from the get go, she's been against us, even going Pah Wraith chosen warmonger on us, and even joining the TLF to wipe out the Federation.

What could push Admiral Leeta to, for all intents and purposes, defect?

Theory: Something or someONE stripped her of her power in more ways than one, and she's running scared to the only force she knows can fight, the very force that HAS beaten her multiple times. Its been hinted that the current Terran Emperor has some kind of power, and Cryptic has been... well... cryptic about that in the past. Not only that, we now have Captain Sylvia Tilly running around, someone who literally weaponized Pahvo in a matter of hours, and even used Pahvo as a long range transporter.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    Would be nice if they can create a battlezone instead. Similar to Dinoland or Defera.

Missed opportunities.
    edited September 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »

To be fair... they DID collapse before DS9 dove into the Mirror. The Terran Empire we're dealing with in STO is basically a resurgent, reformed Empire after the Rebellion took Terok Nor with their copy of Defiant.

What I'm interested in... is WHY THE HELL IS LEETA HELPING US? Pretty much from the get go, she's been against us, even going Pah Wraith chosen warmonger on us, and even joining the TLF to wipe out the Federation.

Theory: Something or someONE stripped her of her power in more ways than one, and she's running scared to the only force she knows can fight, the very force that HAS beaten her multiple times. Its been hinted that the current Terran Emperor has some kind of power, and Cryptic has been... well... cryptic about that in the past. Not only that, we now have Captain Sylvia Tilly running around, someone who literally weaponized Pahvo in a matter of hours, and even used Pahvo as a long range transporter.

One theory could be that Admiral Leeta's allies in our universe were all recruited by/defected to Captain Killy? I mean, it could be argued that Killy has had more success in our universe than Leeta did? And Terrans are hardly renowned for their loyalty.
    Would be nice if they can create a battlezone instead. Similar to Dinoland or Defera.

Missed opportunities.

Well... we already have the Badlands Battlezone. And on top of that, the new story arc hasn't even started yet. Also a new battlezone might warrant a new rep track... but we haven't gotten one for quite a while. Would be nice to have something new to work on, with some gear from the Mirror Universe as a reward, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    One theory could be that Admiral Leeta's allies in our universe were all recruited by/defected to Captain Killy? I mean, it could be argued that Killy has had more success in our universe than Leeta did? And Terrans are hardly renowned for their loyalty.

I kinda did factor in Killy as well. I kinda feel like there's no way they're going to leave her out of this if they can get the Actress to come back again. Honestly I kinda feel like after they did the Discovery content, the pre-planned Mirror Arc is actually going to be better because we now have Captain Killy around as well.
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    disappointing, the mirror stuff is just crappy. Mirror Leeta, lol :#
    Yea... That's what I was going for.
    In the famous words of a Jedi Master: There's always a bigger fish.

You are very wrong! Ground content is the best. :)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    As for the debate on Ground Combat... I personally find it a bit more tactical since you're more limited on what you can do on ground. You have to be more aware of your class and what abilities you've slotted because you're not running around with a ship that has mulitple heals and buffs. You've got your Captain native abilities and 5 Kit modules, which are career locked for the most part. Other than some kit frames that bestow a power from another class, you are either using universal kit modules or class specific kit modules.

I wonder how interesting this will be with a Drone Master Engie. >:)

Well, it could simply be that this emperor never leaves his ship.

Leeta is far from powerful in space. On the ground she might easily beat this emperor, but if he has a slightly above average ship, he can easily win from her without needing to be that powerful himself. ;)

Either way, I'm not that interested. Few societies that lack trust, certainty and stability are worth taking seriously . Both in terms of general development as well as the danger they could pose to well developed and orderly technological advanced ones. The same goes for their heads of state. But of course, Sci fi generally doesn't concern itself with such socio-cultural scientific insights.

So... meh.

As for the debate on Ground Combat... I personally find it a bit more tactical since you're more limited on what you can do on ground. You have to be more aware of your class and what abilities you've slotted because you're not running around with a ship that has mulitple heals and buffs. You've got your Captain native abilities and 5 Kit modules, which are career locked for the most part. Other than some kit frames that bestow a power from another class, you are either using universal kit modules or class specific kit modules.

I wonder how interesting this will be with a Drone Master Engie. >:)

I also appreciated how your position vs. that of the opponent mattered. Hiding behind pillars, covering your flanks and so on.

At least before we got stuff like trajectory bending and turrets like the agony field generator that can cover large areas in all directions. :/

I think that i'm going to make a break, if the next expansion revolves around the mirror TRIBBLE. I don't like very much all these evil masochists who wear crop tops, jackets without sleeves, and beards because beards are only used by evil persons
    Well... cover only works in STO when you have a physical barrier to break LoS. We're never gonna have anything like a Cover Mechanic from TOR or Mass Effect. But knowing when to try and find cover is still important. Especially since STO does not follow the Trinity Rule of Tank/Healer/DPS. You have to be more aware of your own capabilities, and probably assume that everyone is more interested in DPS than healing. A bit of a "fend for yourself" mentality, but... kinda accurate.

I still appreciate an Engie who puts down a heal and shield generator, or a Sci who throws out heals, because that's teamwork. But I also have to accept that... I'm just as likely to see more offensive Engies and Scis as well so... don't count on seeing things like that all the time. Work with what you got, and help your team as best as you can because of it.
    I think that i'm going to make a break, if the next expansion revolves around the mirror TRIBBLE.
    What else did you expect? It was the obvious next step in the story considering AoY ended with Leeta going off to find allies and AoD brought Killy to our time period. Leeta's face turn is a bit odd though, it only worked for Georgiou in Disco because she was never presented as purely evil (Lorca and his allies reason for attempting to overthrow her was because they considered her weak by Terran standards).
    eaY7Xxu.png
    I think that i'm going to make a break, if the next expansion revolves around the mirror TRIBBLE.
    What else did you expect? It was the obvious next step in the story considering AoY ended with Leeta going off to find allies and AoD brought Killy to our time period. Leeta's face turn is a bit odd though, it only worked for Georgiou in Disco because she was never presented as purely evil (Lorca and his allies reason for attempting to overthrow her was because they considered her weak by Terran standards).

do you think that I care about all these craps, i did some missions for the rewards, and never read 1 word, thx to F and I skipped the others.
    But this time, it will be a huge pass, that's all. it is my choice and a discussion about this choice is not necessary.

what else I could expected? hum!! maybe a total revamp of the borg: models, weapons and attacks, history etc. I don't like them currently (they are ridiculous), but i would like to learn more things about them. The vaadwaur could have been useful in this matter. Or more stuff about the Voth.
    But, I don't know if cryptic can modify stuff without the consent of cbs.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,462 Arc User
    I thought they cared about uniform colors?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns