test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Operation: Wolf!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
edited February 2022 in Galactic News Network [PC]
In the upcoming TFO, Operation: Wolf, you'll participate in a holodeck simulation of the Mirror Universe's Earth Spacedock, and battle to survive!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11496633
Post edited by rattler2 on

Comments

• edwardhamham#8075 edwardhamham Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Have to say, I am surprised at the identity of the mirror universe character in this.... I would have expected Mirror Tilly instead, seeing as we already know she's requested asylum (then again... maybe I'm forgetting further developments?). In the case of this character, her suddenly being friendly is a bit out of left field.

The thing is, Mirror Tilly was only pretending to request asylum- and then used it as cover to take over Pahvo (Para Pacem, and Illusion of Communication). Considering what she tried to do risked literally billions of lives, I'm skeptical of anyone granting her asylum now, regardless if she were serious or not.

Admiral Leeta makes a bit more sense in that case- even if just because she hasn't tried the same trap previously. I agree though- it does seem out of character for mirror Leeta, but it may in the end be a trap. I am excited for the TFO though!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Let me side with the Terran Empire and blow up the Fed ESD!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • knightnbluknightnblu Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    Operation Wolf is a good beginning. But it is high time that we look at another expansion and the Mirror universe would be the perfect setting for it. The maps are already made, the uniforms, the ship skins, and ground maps too. All that would need to be done would be to write the scripts.

In the Star Trek universe I am beyond certain that Starfleet Intelligence and Section 31 would already have assetts in play in that realm and the continued aggression from that quarter would provoke a Federation response to curtail that aggression and secure the Federation. Questions that could be explored is who would your allies be? How would you employ them? What strategic and tactical targets would need to be attacked? Would the future intervene as they did with the Iconians? Who are the Borg in that reality? Of course, there would also be new ships, new weapons, new traits, and new Doffs and Boffs.

I have been itching for such an experience to be added to STO and I think that others are as well. Just my .02.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I... get the feeling we're either missing some MASSIVE off-screen content, twists and context with this blog or some people forgot where Mirror Leeta was in the missions and lore blogs the last time we saw her... or both.

There is no way in Gre'Thor she'd even be allowed to talk to Quinn without being in a brig way away from Earth and Bajor, with a whole ship-worth of security officers, capital-class turrets, a Pah-Wraith expert, technicians screening for temporal and dimensional anomalies, temporal agents and the player character themselves.

This doesn't even imply it's an holo version of her.
    What's with the recent trend of suddenly turning die-hard evil people who gloat about how they're gonna kill you and destroy the Federation and then making them "just a bit evil, but they'll get better after a few days at your side and trust you with their life".

That's like Marvel had just released Guardians of the Galaxy, then immediately after decided to directly release Endgame and you're left wondering why Nebula is with the Guardians AND the Avengers now.
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    I have to agree with what others here are saying. This 'turn' of events is so outta left field that there HAS to be something missing. Or this blog was posted out of order. You really should build up to this type of reveal instead of just dropping it on players heads.

I'm certain there will be other blog posts giving story background to this, but I still say, this was posted out of order.

I mean, and I suppose I should post this as a spoiler for those that haven't watched Picard or looked up how the first season went,
    but this is like telling everyone in the first episode that Picard becomes an android at the end of the season.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • scottfreemanscottfreeman Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Yeah...I'm also a little confused about the choice to use Leeta. She's a villain across multiple story arcs and time periods.
  • giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    This sounds like it's gonna be a new TFO event...but we are missing a LOT of story leading up to here. Like others have said, no WAY Quinn would let Leeta anywhere NEAR ESD!

It sounds fun, and I'm assuming this is what the attacks on Tribble were testing, but we seriously need a lot of IN-GAME story to clarify things.
    Second, adding a new STF means one of two things:
    One, a new rep system, but that's not likely.
    Two...An event.
    Which of the two is it and what's the prize if it's the second?
  • talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    We're going to wage war against the Mirror Universe? Huh given the number of genocide the PC has committed, I thought we already were in the MU.
  • payback99payback99 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Why is Mirror Leeta hanging around Quinn? Is she going to be the new J'Ula?

Whose going to be the next evil monster we forgive and become friends with? The Borg Queen?
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    I get the feeling there's a new Episode coming to the mission Journal that takes place immediately before this blog post.
    Unfortunately, things end up on the website in the wrong order quite often, and this post would make more sense to appear a little after that episode release...
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • robert#4620 robert Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    Is this a prelude to Mirrorverse Tilly vs Mirrorverse Leeta?
    edited September 2021
    I... get the feeling we're either missing some MASSIVE off-screen content, twists and context with this blog or some people forgot where Mirror Leeta was in the missions and lore blogs the last time we saw her... or both.
    In the old Mirror Universe lockbox DOFF assignments it was stated that the Terran Emperor is a mysterious figure, who gained god-like powers, that allow him to quickly eliminate his enemies, and stay in power.

In a story blog released at the end of the Temporal Cold War arc that same Emperor tries to make Leeta stand down, and turn over the ISS Enterprise, for her failures in the Badlands, and with the Temporal Liberation Front. Leeta OFC refuses, kills those who side with the Emperor, and then flees along with her fleet to find allies.

Last we saw of Leeta she was on the run from the Terran Empire, and looking for allies to stand against the Emperor. And if even Leeta is afraid of the Emperor, with her multi dimensional Pah-Wraith powers... dude has to be a piece of work. Most likely its an "enemy of my enemy" situation. Mirror Leeta doesn't like us, and we don't like her, but the Emperor is worse.

Here's the blog for reference
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10069563-aftershocks
    Yes, but that doesn't change the problem we have with her current situation.

The final lines of said blog (which is the one I was talking about in my previous reply) make it clear she's not talking about finding allies in the Prime universe:
    Leeta stood to walk around her bridge, making sure all of her officers were paying attention. “One particular dataset caught my eye. It was filled with information on every species the Federation ever met and the conditions of their first contact. To my surprise, we haven’t met some of them. And some of them will make wonderful allies.”

She stopped in front of the viewscreen and turned to face her crew. “Knowledge will become power. Inform my fleet - we‘re going to seek out some new life forms and make them offers they can’t refuse. And then we’re going to Terra to have words with the Emperor about who gives orders to whom.
    #TASforSTO
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    payback99 wrote: »
    Why is Mirror Leeta hanging around Quinn? Is she going to be the new J'Ula?

Whose going to be the next evil monster we forgive and become friends with? The Borg Queen?

We are already friends with one Borg queen (though she prefers to stay out of collectives for now), Seven of Nine.

As for Leeta being like J'Ula, I seriously doubt it. J'Ula was an odd case where she always hovered on the line between anti-villain and anti-hero (we just didn't have all the information up front to know that right off the bat). And weird as it sounds, she was a screwup to some extent (mostly where communication and diplomacy were concerned) who kept losing her temper and saying stupid things, and worse yet fell for the manipulation tricks of the real villain.

It was good writing though it needed more substance in a few parts to make it less abrupt and support believability (especially during the "hide" phase where the players were essentially underground heroes while "off camera") though that would have delayed the end phase of the story past the date they wanted it to end.

Leeta on the other hand is the classic "rebellious underdog villain" who is dumped on by her villain liege for not being one of the preferred demographic (Terran) and has a massive chip on her shoulder because of it. Then she tapped into a massive source of power that went to her head long enough to make her go off the rails and get branded a traitor by the emperor, but since then she has probably come off of that power intoxication gotten a handle on her wraith stuff and now looks towards the Alliance as the "ablative armor" she needs if she is to take on the emperor.
    In the old Mirror Universe lockbox DOFF assignments it was stated that the Terran Emperor is a mysterious figure, who gained god-like powers, that allow him to quickly eliminate his enemies, and stay in power.

In a story blog released at the end of the Temporal Cold War arc that same Emperor tries to make Leeta stand down, and turn over the ISS Enterprise, for her failures in the Badlands, and with the Temporal Liberation Front. Leeta OFC refuses, kills those who side with the Emperor, and then flees along with her fleet to find allies.

Last we saw of Leeta she was on the run from the Terran Empire, and looking for allies to stand against the Emperor. And if even Leeta is afraid of the Emperor, with her multi dimensional Pah-Wraith powers... dude has to be a piece of work. Most likely its an "enemy of my enemy" situation. Mirror Leeta doesn't like us, and we don't like her, but the Emperor is worse.

Here's the blog for reference
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10069563-aftershocks

I hope you are right and it blows up into another major arc like the Iconian one,
    with Leeta in a role similar to Sela after her capture by the Iconians set her on a path of revenge against them. And it is not unheard of for Mirror Universe people to work with the Federation as long as their goals are at least somewhat in alignment, Lorca was all-in on the war against the Klingons until he found a way home for his own revenge/powerplay plot. Same thing with ex-Empress Georgiou to some degree.
  • skolldrachen#2061 skolldrachen Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    so..the person who tried to destroy you...ds9.....killed thousands.. and tried to completely erase the prime timeline....is.. completely forgiven?..... can i get what your on?
    They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, "Search for Paradise."
    Kiba - Wolf's Rain
    And we have no suggestion that she didn't. But the Terran Empire is the most powerful force in the Mirror Universe. Even the Mirror Dominion are afraid of them.

Even with allies from the MU, she would still very likely need help from the Alliance to combat the Emperor. Especially if he is as powerful as suggested.
    That's obviously the case (unless it's one of her tricks) but once again, that's not the problem.

The problem is the skip between that older blog and this one.
    Once again, I'll go with the analogy of GoTG and Endgame. Sure, the story between the two works well to show why Nebula would join the heroes in the end, but we had whole movies progressively showing that development in between.

You may tease a character having seemingly switched sides or assisting the heroes/villains, but, unless it happens at the very end of the first game/movie and used as a sequel hook, you better deliver on the explanation in the story that teased that, not just "oh she's allied with us now, enjoy her simulation the whole Alliance approved, just roll with it for the duration of that story, we'll explain eventually".

And I'm pretty sure many players would go "No way I'm gonna enter an holodeck simulation she made, Quinn. Especially after Killy's obvious betrayal I was railroaded into, the Excalbian screwup, and J'mpok trying to frame me for terrorism."
    #TASforSTO
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    So this is going to be a first-person gun game, right?

Operation_Wolf_ARC_title.png
  • willdojinnwilldojinn Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    OK Good. I'm not the only person confused on why mirror leeta is in quinn's office making casual banter. I figured I'd missed something in the past five-ish years. Glad to know everyone else is just as confused.

Personally I wouldn't feel safe unless she were encased in a block of transparent aluminum behind an onion's worth of forcefield layers inside a temporally shielded vault that is set to implode into a gravitational sinkhole if the power fails for any reason.

She is not to be trusted. At All. So I expect the simulation to go off the rails.
  • nexus1972nexus1972 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    hfmudd wrote: »

:D I just thought the same thing when i read the headline ;)

But i hope it will be the beginning of an expansion or story arc. Just another TFO is the least STO needs

Where you get your rump kicked by Mirror Borg.

Woopsie, wrong Wolf.
    #TASforSTO
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User

Beat me to it, that was the first time that came to my head.

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    So the whole pah wraith thing I guess they got bored with her and went back to sleep.
  • treknadi#8339 treknadi Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    I was denied to kill J'Ula, and know I have to ally with Mirror Leeta too? Gah thats frustrating. I hoped that I could at least blow her and her Ship up at some point. =/
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    I get the feeling there's a new Episode coming to the mission Journal that takes place immediately before this blog post.
    Unfortunately, things end up on the website in the wrong order quite often, and this post would make more sense to appear a little after that episode release...

Memory Beta references a short story 'black mirror' which seemingly could set this up, but doesn't mention anything other than the name. I am wondering if it was a story in the Star Trek magazine...
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    The thing is, Mirror Tilly was only pretending to request asylum- and then used it as cover to take over Pahvo (Para Pacem, and Illusion of Communication). Considering what she tried to do risked literally billions of lives, I'm skeptical of anyone granting her asylum now, regardless if she were serious or not.

Admiral Leeta makes a bit more sense in that case- even if just because she hasn't tried the same trap previously. I agree though- it does seem out of character for mirror Leeta, but it may in the end be a trap. I am excited for the TFO though!
    Quite so... this is what Killy could have done instead of 'canon' had she been a bit cleverer about things. Imagine if, instead of trying to weaponize Pahvo, she instead took the opportunity to learn about the current-day Mirrorverse and in this hypothetical timeline, she'd be in Leeta's place, effectively trying to get us to be the tip of the spear for her power grab on that side.

And yes, hfmudd, that classic title came to mind, too.
This discussion has been closed.