test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which ship do you expect to see more as players pick their prizes?

1235»

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    The D7 on the show just had a gray coat of paint, not much in the way of detailing, and no lighting at all because it was the big wooden master AMT used to make its plastic models. AMT gave it to the show as part of the deal they had with Jefferies, and with the destruction of the warbird model they had to rush it into service without the chance to do anything with it except put the fleet insignia and hull number on it (that is what the writing is on the "wings").

There was talk of detailing it a bit more (though not much more, Roddenberry and Jefferies both preferred a clean sleek look) for the fourth season of TOS, but since the show was cancelled before that happened it never got its extra paint.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    The D7 on the show just had a gray coat of paint, not much in the way of detailing, and no lighting at all because it was the big wooden master AMT used to make its plastic models. AMT gave it to the show as part of the deal they had with Jefferies, and with the destruction of the warbird model they had to rush it into service without the chance to do anything with it except put the fleet insignia and hull number on it (that is what the writing is on the "wings").

There was talk of detailing it a bit more (though not much more, Roddenberry and Jefferies both preferred a clean sleek look) for the fourth season of TOS, but since the show was cancelled before that happened it never got its extra paint.

Thx for the info. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    Overly exposed nacelles? You must be thinking of the TNG ships with their warp plasma lines hanging out flapping in open space, those are a classic well lit soft target just asking to be hit. The TOS Constitution nacelles were armored and those plasma assemblies were behind armored baffles on the inboard sides of the nacelles (just take a look at the model that was sent to the Smithsonian.

As for cutting the neck or struts, Jefferies has said when asked about that with the major structural parts in there that it would be easier to slice off a section of the saucer than slice the neck or struts off. Roddenberry said he always considered it a tough old battleship and the only reason it was called a cruiser at all was that NBC had fits when he used words with "war" or "battle" in them.

As for the bridge, it was no different from any other Federation mainbridge in Trek (not counting NuTrek), all of them were in the same relative position in the same sort of structure on the dorsal side of the saucer (or whatever else the primary was shaped like).

And no, they did not move the bridge down a deck between The Cage and TOS, the thing sticking way up in The Cage was the sensor suite, not the bridge itself, it was in the exact same place in both. Another myth is the "clear dome over the captain's chair" nonsense, Jefferies said the ceiling designed for TOS but not built during the series was finally seen in TMP.

It is not like the later ones where they had windows in every room like TNG, or worse yet a huge picture window from the Kelvin films onwards (they are just asking for a burning fighter-shuttle to land in their laps on the bridge with that one... ).

As for looks, some people go for clean elegant lines and natural organic golden ratio proportions, curves and angles (like the TOS Enterprise) while other people prefer other things. To me the unrelentingly stream of industrial art deco styled ships post-TOS (and almost every other sci-fi show that has ships) got old and boring long ago from my point of view for instance.
    No, I'm thinking of the Connie. The nacelles are overly exposed because they are placed way too far away from the main body of the ship. This makes them much bigger, and easier to hit, targets. Good ship design is something like the Defiant, Intrepid, Nebula, Miranda, etc. These ships put the nacelles much closer to the main body of them ship. Making them less stand out of targets. Several, like the Miranda and Nebula, put the nacelles under the saucer, further protecting them from direct attack by blocking off the ability to attack them from certain angles.
    As I pointed out earlier, Jefferies' position was that engines powerful enough to move a ship faster than light are engines you don't want too close to the crew--radiation hazards, etc. By which standard, Defiant is an out-and-out death trap.

I get that you don't like it, but please keep in mind Jefferies did this for a living. I think he probably had some idea of what he was about.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    D7 carrier, soon it will be mine
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    As I pointed out earlier, Jefferies' position was that engines powerful enough to move a ship faster than light are engines you don't want too close to the crew--radiation hazards, etc. By which standard, Defiant is an out-and-out death trap.

I get that you don't like it, but please keep in mind Jefferies did this for a living. I think he probably had some idea of what he was about.
    His position doesn't mean diddly squat unless it was referenced in canon. Which it wasn't.

Doug Drexler can similarly go on all he wants about how great the ENt-J is, doesn't mean anything he said about it is canon unless it appears in the shows.

I'll take his word over yours, thanks.

His position doesn't mean diddly squat unless it was referenced in canon. Which it wasn't.

Doug Drexler can similarly go on all he wants about how great the ENt-J is, doesn't mean anything he said about it is canon unless it appears in the shows.

No, canon means nothing in this case because it is unclear on the point at best and nothing specifically contradicts Jefferies as regards TOS design. In fact, the only ships of that era ever shown were specifically built with that "keep the engines away from the crew" point in mind which provides a visual canon as far as that goes. And later ships are not valid proof against that since they could have been made possible by advancements in emissions shielding and cooling (Jefferies was not just talking about nuclear radiation, he was also talking about things like heat and magnetic fields).

There is nothing wrong with the TOS strut length and they are no more vulnerable than Ent-D's or Voyager's struts, with targeting technology where it is possible to bullseye a one meter tall robot at 90,000km while getting buffeted around it would make little difference if the things were an inch long or a mile as far as targeting them is concerned, the length of the strut is an absolute non-issue.

And the length was necessary to balance the very dense heavy nacelles against the relatively light and hollow secondary hull at the time he designed the ship because the impulse drive was supposed to be matter/antimatter rockets so the center of balance along the line of flight had to be the impulse engine ports (the saucer was also a lot less dense than the nacelles).

The fact that they changed that to "gravity impulse" in TMP so the ship would not have to spend hours or days on thruster power getting far enough away from spacedock to keep from frying it with gamma rays until they got far enough out to test the warp drive is immaterial since retconning it into a gravity drive in no way makes the original TOS design wrong.

As for the width of the neck, it is about twelve feet eight inches across. Roddenberry said the hull was nine inches of tritanium armor over a duranium pressure hull, so armor on both sides would cut the interior width down to a little over eleven feet across, and from blowout scenes in the movies on the unarmored ships the pressure hull is between one and four inches more or less. Giving it the worst case and subtracting another eight inches leaves an interior width of about ten and a half feet across and about a little over one hundred feet long.

That should be plenty for a turbolift shaft or two, very strong structural members, manual stairs, some conduits, and other necessary stuff like the emergency decoupling system, with service access to the equipment. What were you expecting to fit in there? Grand ballrooms?

And no, we never do see a photon torpedo pierce the hull of the TOS ship, ST6 uses the refit which you can see in blowout scenes does not have any armor, just like the later TNG ships. Obviously in 22nd century of Trek, just like the real world 20th century, the era of the armored behemoths ended late in the fourth decade or so and thinner skinned ships with other means of protection took their place.

When that other protection fails the ship is seriously hurt as seen in ST6, for example the Exocet that sank the HMS Sheffield would have probably bounced off of a 1940s era Iowa class battleship with minimal damage, there is nothing that shows what would happen to the old armored TOS Enterprise.

As for the bridge, the original visuals showed that the ship fought in a rampant (somewhat nose-up) position when they could arrange it which if you look at the model actually protects both the bridge and the bussards (which would theoretically be the most vulnerable part of the nacelles) with the full thickness of the saucer instead of just half of it which puts it on a better than even footing with the Miranda in that respect since the TOS Connie saucer can protect both the nacelles and the bridge at the same time unlike the Miranda. Of course that "protection" is rather fleeting when the combatants are moving an average of 64 times the speed of light.

What makes you think the TOS bridge is "giant pillar coming out of the saucer"? A tiny bit of the ceiling does poke up over the teardrop, but that is it, the dome (both the rather flat glowing one in TOS and the tall The Cage one) is nothing but a sensor suite. As I said before, they never moved the bridge between the shows, it was always in the position you see in TOS, the sensor dome was just replaced during the refit between the pilots with a shorter one with more advanced and compact sensor tech.

The crux of the matter is that if you use a saucer at all there just isn't a particularly protected spot to put it that would make much of a difference to a weapon that can pierce that much armor, so putting the bridge on top is pretty much as good a place as any.

And nothing justifies putting the bridge behind a floor to ceiling slab of artificial sapphire like Abrams and DSC do even if it is a foot or more thick. And apart from the physical weakness, a window like that passes light, and no matter how fast an attenuator kicks in there is still a finite time where a powerful enough burst of light could vaporize the bridge crew before it kicks in enough to prevent it.
    edited September 2021
    No, canon means nothing in this case because it is unclear on the point at best and nothing specifically contradicts Jefferies as regards TOS design.
    We see nacelles far closer to ship hulls back in ENT, which predates TOS, and has less advanced technology. showing that it wasn't an issue back then either. Not to mention the Miranda seen in ST2.

We see far weaker engines in ENT, it is not unreasonable to assume that meant less precautions were necessary. And as I pointed out earlier, advancements since NCC 1701was built back in 2245 could have made the necessary safe distance shorter.
    There is nothing wrong with the TOS strut length and they are no more vulnerable than Ent-D's or Voyager's struts,
    They are significantly more vulnerable then Voyager's struts because they are far longer, creating more space to attack. whereas Voyager's struts are significantly shorter meaning less to attack.

How is that? Voyagers struts are longer than a meter so there is no reason they could not be bullseyed at 90,000km just like when the TOS Enterprise hit Nomad. The length is irrelevant with the technology and anything like a competent gunner. On top of that, Voyager's struts have hinges and presumably flexible conduits, that added complexity could make them even more vulnerable just from that.
    And the length was necessary to balance the very dense heavy nacelles against the relatively light and hollow secondary hull at the time he designed the ship because the impulse drive was supposed to be matter/antimatter rockets so the center of balance along the line of flight had to be the impulse engine ports (the saucer was also a lot less dense than the nacelles).

The fact that they changed that to "gravity impulse" in TMP so the ship would not have to spend hours or days on thruster power getting far enough away from spacedock to keep from frying it with gamma rays until they got far enough out to test the warp drive is immaterial since retconning it into a gravity drive in no way makes the original TOS design wrong.
    None of which is canon, and thus, meaningless.

As I said before, canon is meaningless on this point since it is inconclusive. There would be some merit to your point if canon directly contradicts the behind the scene information, but that is not the case here. In fact, Spock called for "emergency rockets" to take them out of orbit in The Cage, and those rockets (which was what they were calling the impulse drives in the first pilot) had to be balanced or the ship would spin along the yaw axis, and that is as close as anything canon ever gets to the matter.

The fact is, for whatever reason, all TOS ships were built with that balance in mind regardless of what impulse drive is defined as.

• kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I don't think Nacelle distance has anything to do with anything. The Defiant and Delta Flyer's warp engines were built into the ships, with no distance whatsoever. And we see alien ships without separate nacelles at all.

I still say that by the 32nd Century, detached or otherwise nacelles should have been replaced by ones that were in-built. The Wells' were, etc and they were in the 29th Century.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Even heat doesn't necessarily always vaporize things - like, a planet can actually exist within the surface of a star without disintegrating for a long-TRIBBLE time...it'll be a burnt-out cinder, of course, but it won't disintegrate.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Well, this thread certainly wandered off the original topic.
    The two ships that tempt me the most are the Mirror Warship, and the Temporal D7
    The problem is that I'm really not great with cruisers. I am basically a science vessel guy, and I feel like I would regret choosing something I cannot fly and fight effectively. OTOH, none of the science vessels available really thrill me.
    The good news is that I also have a T6 infinity dealie, so I will basically get two choices.

What I really want is a T6 version of the Horizon/Olympic Research Science Vessel, the Goldfish Bowl, but that doesn't exist.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    To be honest the Enterprise episode 'The Catwalk' disproves the whole 'dangerous radiation from nacelles' argument.

They did point out the heat problem if the engines started while they were in there though, and with the nacelles completely shut down they probably weren't scooping anything with the Bussards and no antimatter was flowing so they would not have the gamma ray or ionizing radiation (or even magnetic, long term exposure to high magnetic fields is believed to cause cancer) problem either. It could be construed that they did not mention the radiation because the heat would have gotten them well before that.

I got my event campaign reward today. Just took the two free T6 Zen coupons since i have no real interest in the character limited ships.

While I will probably get a Crossfield to try out a science spearhead setup on one account, I am seriously thinking of doing the same and take the T6 Zen coupons on the other for a similar reason (though I might change my mind if I think of a really great character idea that goes with one of the premium or Lobi ships before then).
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Guys, keep things focused on the topic at hand. If we want to discuss some of the finer points of starship design then another thread can be made for that. otherwise keep things relevant to what ship you all are picking or think people will pick.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    So I decided to get the S31heavy battlecruiser myself. Already had the Inquiry, Enterprise J, Vulcan scout ship and the Enterprises from the legendary pack.

So this one seemed the best choice. The innate abilities make it a fun ship to fly.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    So I decided to get the S31heavy battlecruiser myself. Already had the Inquiry, Enterprise J, Vulcan scout ship and the Enterprises from the legendary pack.

So this one seemed the best choice. The innate abilities make it a fun ship to fly.

I never really considered this one until I read some posts in this thread.. and then I started to think about it..

I have a character that I deemed my 'Section 31' guy. Just a head cannon thing of course, but he and his crew are in the Section 31 uniforms and doing that whole bit. I had him in the Vengeance because it just kind of seems like something S31 might develop, but I copied my character over to tribble and opened the reward pack so I can try the S31 Heavy Command Ship..

I quite like it.

While it's not a DPS topper for DEW builds, it's no slouch at all and it does have some cool mechanics. First, it's just fantastic looking.. the model is amazing and the transition to 'Dark Mode' is quite cool. The Swarm doesn't seem to actually do much but again, is a cool effect and it doesn't require a console or anything so it doesn't remove anything from the ship.. it's just a nice 'add in.'

Overall, I am strongly considering making this my reward ship.. it's likely the only way I'll ever be able to get it and it's quite a cool ship. I don't have the Inquiry either, but I am really liking the S31 Battlecruiser.. it's a very tempting choice and I see why people are choosing it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    Let's see...

At the moment, my first ever and decade old toon is flying a Hestia, because I enjoy the look. It was formerly a Mobius and then a Klein.

My first 23c...I'm rocking the Franklin, although it was the Dreadnought before that.

Some of my others...I just can't find the right balance with them. I've created a "fire toon", with volcanic kits and mining lasers and a "Borg toon", but the Juggernaut is just like a lump that you can't do anything with.

I'd personally love a Liberated Sphere or even Probe...dare I say even one of the Queen's Diamonds?

The idea of making a toon totally tailored...I love that. Section 31, Borg, Vaudwaar, etc...it's great fun, but the key ships just aren't there. A playable Fek'Ihri, playable Breen, playable Changeling even...at the moment we can have an entirely playable Jem'Hadar, Romulan with all the crew and the ships the same, but the subcategories just aren't there.

A Section 31 starter pack, including the ship, uniforms and weapons, etc. That would be terrific.

The same with the Breen, including that reward uniform and ice weapons.

A playable Borg that also came with a playable ship...not the Dreadnought, but a probe, or assimilated alien ship.

A Trill! A playable Trill, but with the Lobi Staff.

And Gorn and Orions, which had access to the ships that are already in the C-Store.

Especially when it's old ships and bits and pieces, why not repurpose them into fun packs where we can have something all-encompassing?
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I'll probably get one of the lobby ships, or maybe the Oberth.

Or whatever TOS gooddess I can find.
    bzk74q9.jpg

I was thinking of getting a lobby ship too; but the way Cryptic has been ignoring our feedback, it didn't seem worth it any more. :p So, I got a D4x instead.

N.B. You'd think a D7 would look even better (I have a Legendary one), but no.

I am quite happy with my D7. :)

Does it look the same as the Legendary one? Cuz, in my memory, the original D7 was less 'red stripe-y', and had a more monotomous (better looking) skin).

Mine is the legendary one.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    The more I play with it on Tribble, the more I think I am going to settle on the Section 31 Battlecruiser.

This one went a bit under my radar despite it being a fairly powerful ship. It's not top of the charts or anything, but it hits hard and honestly.. I'm not sure there are many ships cooler in the game.

The ship art team for this game never fails to amaze me.. this ship really looks beautiful. For being a 10+ year old engine, they do some fantastic work with ship models.. seriously. :astonished:
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Opted for the Styx myself - have always been intrigued by it and decided it'd suit my 'Liberated Terran' DSC char pretty well, as well as the fact that said char has very few active ships. Already owned the Mirror Constitution-class Warship but fancied having another Terran ship option.

If I didn’t already own the Styx, that would have been my pick. It’s become the main ship on my main.. it’s great in both a DPS and tanking role.. it’s an incredibly good ship.

Styx is an excellent choice.. hope you like it. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.