test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Temporal Recruit Event 9/08 to 10/07

Comments

• horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    @evilmark444

Completely understandable from someone else's perspective. The film grain effect played on my nostalgia, while the aesthetic of the TOS Constitution is appreciation of fine design 😛.> @evilmark444 said:
    > For me at least I simply have no nostalgia towards things I could clearly see as technical limitations as a kid. I grew up with 80s and 90s tube TVs and VHS tapes, but now that such poor quality isn't necessary anymore I prefer to see things crisp and clear, so any time I play a game that includes film grain I IMMEDIATELY turn it off, and if I ever find a singleplayer game that doesn't let you turn it off I'll find a mod that does it instead.
    >
    > Other graphics options I ALWAYS disable or mod out (SP only) include motion blur, depth of field, and vignetting.

It worked for me because the technical limitation isn't one that afflicts the medium now. It's a reminder or an association that "sells" me what I'm seeing and contributes to my immersion. The plot of the missions felt very TOS and the crappy television effect contributed to my buy in.

I hate the video games I grew up with. They look like TRIBBLE and the simplistic repetition bores me. In retrospect I don't know what drew me in, but I liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches too so there is no accounting for kid tastes and not having experienced anything better.

I find that some effects can contribute to an experience in game. While old timey TV clearly doesn't appeal to everyone it worked for me. If I played a film noire game I might enjoy a high contrast black and white with spot red elements. I night think more of a superhero title where avatars were scaled like a Kirby drawing, or it incorporated 4 colour style. The horror games that have "simulated" delusion or horror with blurring or diminished FoV.

If it sets a mood that contributes to how I look at the game I'm interested. A switch to turn said effects off for those who prefer otherwise is a good choice where possible.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    When did Cryptic say this?
    Back when they removed the ability to access account bank, patrols, queues, etc while still in the past. They didn't give details but they said they discovered a major economy exploit involving max level characters who hadn't joined one of the two main factions yet.
    less the intro music
    I know it doesn't follow the normal Trek theme style, but Faith of the Heart will always be my favorite Trek song. It does an absolutely perfect job of evoking the feeling of eagerly stepping out into the unknown for the first time, which was very fitting for Enterprise.

i agree. and season 3 with the other version is better than the first two. had they started with that one, it may not grind as bad. lol.
    I actually prefer the season 1 and 2 version myself 😎
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I actually prefer the season 1 and 2 version myself 😎

you watching the same show as i am? lol.
    The picture in my signature actually has an embedded link to my preferred version on YouTube, so just click the picture if you want to be sure 😎
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    lugh#2303 wrote: »
    Both the Romulans and the Klingons have Temporal operative story arcs in other events, why don't they get one here?

Yeah, that'd be cool to get. Maybe something to think about adding in future AoY event re-runs. It's not like the TOS era starter missions were super long. Making similar length ROM/KDF versions shouldn't be that labor intensive?

With Klingons you could give them some of the same missions but from the Klingon POV, like "The Taurean Affair" but you shoot Feds that are trying to leave the planet, or "The Battle of Caleb IV" where your in one of the cloaked ships, and have to fight off a Fed boarding party, your ship explodes but you are saved by Lieutenant Q'on at last minute and sent to 25th Century, Romulan would be tricky, since they'll be doing their own thing, however you could be part of Envoy's meeting you left because you heard rumours of an enemy threat knocking out guards posing as a member of Tal Shair (Future version of the player), so when you do "Core of the Matter" later done the line, there is going to be special dialogue stating that you left to take care of something, this would have to be the same day you got recruited by Romulan Temporal Defense and Subcommander Kail.

Romulan could have been done from the Federation side as spies infiltrated into Starfleet posing as Vulcans (in fact I am thinking of unofficially doing just that with one of the AoY characters, using the regular AoY Vulcan race and the background story editor, then use Romulan ships after getting to the main time).

One interesting possibility for Klingons if they had gone expand the event route would have been to start the Klingon side a little earlier and instead of ending up at the big battle the player character could have been one of the boarding party that hit K13 and wake up there. But since they have all the factions covered by at least one recruitment event now that expansion thing is not as needed as it would have been without the other ones.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    > @duasyn said:
    > I hope 'visual updates' means you can turn off the film grain? I found that extremely annoying.

I thought that was a nice touch 🙁. It probably appeals to me because it reminded me of the syndicated broadcasts that hooked me. The grain effect may look ugly if you watched TOS remastered and cleaned up. I think the TV I watched it on was pretty crappy too.

I like the film grain, made the AOY storyline feel like actual TOS episodes, I might be one of the few millennials who happens to both appreciate and respect the classics rather than making TRIBBLE reboots that have literially have nothing in common with the original material, look at how they massacred Star Wars, Doctor Who and He-Man (Twice), what's next Planet of the Apes, Island of Doctor Moreau even Superman wouldn't be safe from this awful plague, sorry I went off topic, but personally the film grain was a nice touch in my opinion.

To both of you: May the Great Bird of the Galaxy Roost on your planet! TOS Forever, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, I saw it in it's original run, and got to know a number of the principal and guest actors over the years, so it has always been "my" Star Trek.

As for Planet of the Apes - it already has a couple of reboot movies, too. And Superman, Holy Toledo! Island of Dr. Moreau has had a few trashy takes as well, though not as many as War of the Worlds, The Lost World, or various Jules Verne works. Nothing is sacred anymore. *sigh*
    One interesting possibility for Klingons if they had gone expand the event route would have been to start the Klingon side a little earlier and instead of ending up at the big battle the player character could have been one of the boarding party that hit K13 and wake up there. But since they have all the factions covered by at least one recruitment event now that expansion thing is not as needed as it would have been without the other ones.

What a BRILLIANT idea!
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    I sure hope they have an option to RETURN to the 23rd century for our Temporal Agents in the new 'fixes'.

A simple copy/paste separate instance of 23rd century ESD (with all NPCs) would be perfect. Just have a dialog option on Philip Crey on modern ESD to go back in time. (it would be at a point our before our character's 'deaths' while our original was on a mission away from 23c. ESD. "Say, weren't you looking into that Romulan problem?" "I forget something and had to come back" lol)
    leemwatson wrote: »
    I sure hope they have an option to RETURN to the 23rd century for our Temporal Agents in the new 'fixes'.

A simple copy/paste separate instance of 23rd century ESD (with all NPCs) would be perfect. Just have a dialog option on Philip Crey on modern ESD to go back in time. (it would be at a point our before our character's 'deaths' while our original was on a mission away from 23c. ESD. "Say, weren't you looking into that Romulan problem?" "I forget something and had to come back" lol)

They already said a hard no to this, many many times to the point they limited even further what you could do in the 23rd because it was breaking things and because of certain 'exploits'.

When did Cryptic say this?

What was breaking? I could see 'exploits', or at least what the devs termed it, going back and picking up TOS Bridge Officers and skills that unless you KNEW ahead of time you would never be able to return, missed out on getting.

That is why they need to have a SEPARATE instance of 23c. ESD that TOS Temporal Recruits can return to. It doesn't break anything - and we can pick up those things we missed to first time around. Plus it could be a springboard for future 23rd century content. ;)

You can get most of those things via Fleet K-13.

For insane amounts of fleet credits.

Again, they are available for next to nothing (all white quality, but still) on 23c ESD - IF YOU KNOW AHEAD OF TIME TO STAY AND GRIND OUT THE REQUIRED CURRENCY. If you don't, well - you're screwed.

A SEPERATE instance of 23c ESD - not the same one used when making TOS characters - would solve all the exploit issues. A very simple copy/paste operation and ONE line of dialog added to Philip Crey is all that it would take.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    A SEPERATE instance of 23c ESD - not the same one used when making TOS characters - would solve all the exploit issues. A very simple copy/paste operation and ONE line of dialog added to Philip Crey is all that it would take.

Code isn't that simple. It may seem like it, but it isn't. There used to be issues with the Borg anytime Cryptic patched something. One time we got Spheres with super EPtE. They popped that, they were at warp all the way across the map. And they didn't even TOUCH the Borg in that patch.

While it may seem to be "very simple", the issue is that TOS ESD leads to TOS Sector Space. So now we have to add in code to identify if a player is not from TOS, and make a hook of some sort to return to 25th Century ESD instead of popping out in the 23rd. And then if they do consider doing that, you're going to have people asking for DSC Starfleet Academy as well.

And honestly... not going back is pretty much in line with the Temporal Prime Directive as well.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    True "spaghetti code" is as much an art form as much as science.
  • vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    I already have temporal agent, i think ill make new character just to look at what they upgraded.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    vanhyo wrote: »
    I already have temporal agent, i think ill make new character just to look at what they upgraded.

I think (don't quote me on this) Cryptic has been making it with these updated recruit events where if you already have a recruit & something changes you'll get it &/or able to get any new or upgraded earnables. So far Cryptic has been pretty player friendly with such things. I think Delta recruit event was the only event that gave a boost if you had multiple, maybe Gamma too.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    While true... we don't know if they tweaked anything with the tutorial alongside all the other revamps they're gonna push out with it as well. And the Tutorial can't be replayed on an existing recruit.

While I already have a Temporal Recruit, it is one of the reasons why I'm tempted to roll another. Just to see what's different.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    I may have said multiple times that I have something special planned for the 8th, just have to wait for the big day to look for my reddit, facebook, twitter or forum posts when it happens, I think you'll enjoy fun shenanigans, I wish I could tell you but it's a big surprise.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    Does this mean a TOS character will also include Klingons & Romulans? They were pretty iconic towards the beginning of the Star Trek franchise.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    No,, just Federation Humans.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Does this mean a TOS character will also include Klingons & Romulans? They were pretty iconic towards the beginning of the Star Trek franchise.

No. Only those who begin the game in the TOS Federation faction will be eligible.

Exactly and it's only the four founding members, so don't expect Caitians and Aliens, however Caitians do look nice in TOS uniforms, after all M'Ress is one sexy catgirl, sorry if I'm getting off topic.

No. Only those who begin the game in the TOS Federation faction will be eligible.

Exactly and it's only the four founding members, so don't expect Caitians and Aliens, however Caitians do look nice in TOS uniforms, after all M'Ress is one sexy catgirl, sorry if I'm getting off topic.

Technically AoY happens the year after TAS so it is probably not that much off topic :lol:
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    If you left your AoY in the 23d century, would you be able to play up to where you get the transponder? I didn't, but I was just wondering, seeing a couple of posters who left theirs back there.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    edited September 2021
    echatty wrote: »
    If you left your AoY in the 23d century, would you be able to play up to where you get the transponder? I didn't, but I was just wondering, seeing a couple of posters who left theirs back there.

I think they played to the point where they recieve the mission "Battle of Caleb IV", but never actually started the mission, however I'm probably one of the few people who tried to cross the romulan neutral zone in the 23rd century, the game won't let me warn the Romulans of the Iconian known as JJ Abrams and his planet killing machine of Doom!
  • kharliskharlis Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Great! I deleted my original recruit because I couldn't play due to some issues. Glad this is back!
    edited September 2021
    I already have 75 out of 85 objectives complete, stupid specializations, admiralty, reps and what not, I already have all the probes, grinding on the other hand is such a hassle, also today is the 5th so see you guys next Wednesday, time really flies when you are having fun.
    edited September 2021
    I hope (but seriously doubt) that they hooked the Spectres arc into AoY and made a way to get to it at around its original 30ish level so there is a way of getting more TOS appropriate phasers without being at the mercy of the vagaries of the fleet system.

For instance, I gave up trying to stay era-appropriate with my first TOS character since the fleet I joined with her pretty much ignored K13 and prioritized the starbase and colony world (and also had what turned out to be a higher than normal bar to hurdle to reach the point of being able to buy anything anyway). And there is no way to know ahead of time how a fleet handles things like that to shop around without losing a lot of time and resources since there is nothing like an organized searchable fleet finder.

That is especially true for new players, who are usually fuzzy about what does what in the fleet holdings and where a reasonable lifetime credit point is for the ability to buy stuff at the fleet stores.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I hope (but seriously doubt) that they hooked the Spectres arc into AoY and made a way to get to it at around its original 30ish level so there is a way of getting more TOS appropriate phasers without being at the mercy of the vagaries of the fleet system.

For instance, I gave up trying to stay era-appropriate with my first TOS character since the fleet I joined with her pretty much ignored K13 and prioritized the starbase and colony world (and also had what turned out to be a higher than normal bar to hurdle to reach the point of being able to buy anything anyway). And there is no way to know ahead of time how a fleet handles things like that to shop around without losing a lot of time and resources since there is nothing like an organized searchable fleet finder.

That is especially true for new players, who are usually fuzzy about what does what in the fleet holdings and where a reasonable lifetime credit point is for the ability to buy stuff at the fleet stores.

And an invitation from another fleet does not work??
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    gaevsman wrote: »

And an invitation from another fleet does not work??

As far as I know of you have to be at the level to unlock the store in your own fleet to use the store in another fleet (I believe it is because it still uses a supply token from your own fleet to buy it or something), or at least those invitations never worked for me back when I was still trying to do that.

It is not a problem for me anymore with that character since I am now at the point were I can buy things and the fleet K13 is high enough finally, but at this point I have put too much into the build I have (which is mostly green bio-phasers) to feel much like dismantling it now. That kind of thing still happens to people though, especially new ones who don't know all the ins and outs of the game, and they can get very frustrated.

At least Spectres was a good source of TOS rare-quality Andorian style twin-beam arrays and some TOS hand weapons before having to substitute too much (it would be great if they made a TOS styled ship weapon set too, but again that will probably not happen any time soon either).

Technically AoY happens the year after TAS so it is probably not that much off topic :lol:

Generally curious on how come Caitians aren't a TOS option, since AoY is a year after TAS, we've seen live action caitians and I've read on memory beta that M'Ress herself was similarly displaced in time granted that she ended up in the 24th century but still.
This discussion has been closed.