test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ten Forward weekly 8/25/21

13»

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Isn't freshly-brewed (Yes, I know... McDonald's) coffee SUPPOSED to be hot? Like...the coffee and tea that comes out of the Ninja my parents just got, if I accidentally spilt that all over an exposed part of myself, I would expect to get 3rd-degree burns from it - but I wouldn't sue the company over it.​​

It was significantly hotter than is considered safe, and much hotter than the industry standard. Believe me I thought it was ridiculous as well until I actually read the facts, as I said there's a reason she won the lawsuit.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Coffee is supposed to be hot, but not to the point where it is almost boiling. The industry standard calls for 155 and up to 175 degrees Fahrenheit maximum, but McDonalds was using direct-to-cup pressure brewers cranked up to max temperature (if not for the pressure in the brewing chamber the water would have been steam) and served at 205 (or more as measurements revealed). Their written policy was even too hot, specifying serving it at between 195 to 205 degrees, well above the safety limit.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    Well, if the thing I looked up is to be believed, 150 degree liquid will cause a 3rd-degree burn in 2 seconds...so even the industry standard can apparently cause serious injury.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Isn't freshly-brewed (Yes, I know... McDonald's) coffee SUPPOSED to be hot? Like...the coffee and tea that comes out of the Ninja my parents just got, if I accidentally spilt that all over an exposed part of myself, I would expect to get 3rd-degree burns from it - but I wouldn't sue the company over it.​​

It was significantly hotter than is considered safe, and much hotter than the industry standard. Believe me I thought it was ridiculous as well until I actually read the facts, as I said there's a reason she won the lawsuit.

uh, guess what? the max temperature coffee or tea will get is the boiling point of water.. 212 degrees. what temperature do you use to brew black tea? 212 degrees. I don't drink coffee so I can't speak to the steep point for that but I'm willing to wager it's ... yup 212 degrees... so I fail to see how y'all say it was served "unnaturally" hot?

the court decided to reward her because she is an imbecile, and the jurors decided that McDonalds can afford it. of course the rest of us paid for it when the hamburgers went up a nickle, but we won't go there
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    Water boils at 100 degrees.

212 only makes sense if you're using bananas as an unit. ;)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Or maybe drop the subject as it has nothing to do with the cliffnotes from the livestream.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I would like borg arc, a new and of batter quality.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

Not really. Celsius degrees are pointlessly large, being approximately 2 Fahrenheit/Rankine degrees and make precision more difficult and confusing especially with rounding involved. It is also just as arbitrary.
  • dacia#9992 dacia Member Posts: 68 Arc User

Not really. Celsius degrees are pointlessly large, being approximately 2 Fahrenheit/Rankine degrees and make precision more difficult and confusing especially with rounding involved. It is also just as arbitrary.

100°F = 37.778°C

dacia#9992 wrote: »

100°F = 37.778°C

I'm going to use a real-world example: I would say 68-70F is what I consider comfortable, 72F I start to feel warm, 73F it gets mildly uncomfortable, and 78F is when I start to complain.

If I rewrote that in celsius it would say: "I would say 20-21.1111C is what I consider comfortable, 22.2222C I start to feel warm, 22.7778C it gets mildly uncomfortable, and 25.5556C is when I start to complain."

Which one of those is easier to read? Fahrenheit may be more arbitrary than Celsius, but imo it is far more practical for everyday use due to the wider range of whole numbers you can use to describe the temperature.
    eaY7Xxu.png

100°F = 37.778°C

I'm going to use a real-world example: I would say 68-70F is what I consider comfortable, 72F I start to feel warm, 73F it gets mildly uncomfortable, and 78F is when I start to complain.

If I rewrote that in celsius it would say: "I would say 20-21.1111C is what I consider comfortable, 22.2222C I start to feel warm, 22.7778C it gets mildly uncomfortable, and 25.5556C is when I start to complain."

Which one of those is easier to read? Fahrenheit may be more arbitrary than Celsius, but imo it is far more practical for everyday use due to the wider range of whole numbers you can use to describe the temperature.

I'm not certain I understand the purpose of your post. Someone argued that water boils at 212 degrees. Another person suggested that person meant 212 in celsius. And I pointed out that neither was true.

100°F = 37.778°C

I'm not certain I understand the purpose of your post. Someone argued that water boils at 212 degrees. Another person suggested that person meant 212 in celsius. And I pointed out that neither was true.

I guess I misunderstood yours. What happened was that one person said water boils at 100 degrees (clearly referencing Celsius) and then to make fun of the Fahrenheit scale they said that "212 only makes sense if you're using bananas as an unit". Then another user said that Fahrenheit is more precise due to each degree being a fraction of a single degree measured in Celsius, which I agree with. I then interpreted your post as a defense of the user who was making fun of the Fahrenheit scale.
    eaY7Xxu.png

100°F = 37.778°C

I guess I misunderstood yours. What happened was that one person said water boils at 100 degrees (clearly referencing Celsius) and then to make fun of the Fahrenheit scale they said that "212 only makes sense if you're using bananas as an unit". Then another user said that Fahrenheit is more precise due to each degree being a fraction of a single degree measured in Celsius, which I agree with. I then interpreted your post as a defense of the user who was making fun of the Fahrenheit scale.

Oh, no worries. I use Fahrenheit as well. 0 is freezing. 100 is boiling. It's super easy to understand, just like you said.

100°F = 37.778°C

I use Celsius. 0 is freezing. 100 is boiling. It's super easy to understand.

The freezing and boiling temperature of water isn't very important for the average person going about their day, but describing the weather Is often important and Fahrenheit allows you be more precise without complicating things with decimals.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User

100°F = 37.778°C

No idea why we're still discussing it, but it really isn't. It just (no pun intended) boils down to what you're used to.

For most people around the world it wouldn't be all that strange to say that 20 or 21 degrees (C) are comfortable or a nice summer temperature, at 23 or 24 degree you start to feel warm and 25 or above it gets too hot. No one cares about the decimals in daily life or that it's less precise.

It is just as practical because there's no reason to bother with pinning things down to 1/10th of a degree.

And yes, the banana thing was a joke.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I just have one thing to add...

mlp-sunset.gif
    TOO MANY NUMBERS! BRAIN HURTS!

Ok you may carry on now. ;)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.