test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Traits to simulate races!

aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
I keep running into the problem of wanting to make a racial base character. vulcan or tzenkethi etc. The problem is some of these don't exist. the solution currently is to make an alien. The problem is that if they add it later it will have unique stuff I may want, but I may have invested heavily in stuff I can't transfer over and is likely expensive.

The solution:

The difference between aliens and other races is that extra trait. So why not make a trait we can buy(or use after buying a species via zen) that can be used to give the difference between an alien and that race. This would allow us to buy things later and make our aliens work how we want them to after investing in specialty ships etc later on. It could also add unique visuals.

Then to become the other race officially you have the correct stats and it uses up the extra trait slot. This could be done via space and ground.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Are there any traits that really matter? An extra % to plasma or melee on the ground or a slightly better Operative isn't going to mean much.

I'm not against this, I just wonder how many people care enough to open their wallets.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    This is something I've honestly wanted...I'm primarily a space player and most racial traits are ground based unfortunately. But at the same time dave is right, the devs probably wont do it because it's rather low impact to the game
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    The main difference would probably be psi attacks like the ones the Remans and a few others do, along with the pheromone stuff the Orions do. "Alien" already has the Vorta telekinesis, and there is a kit module "Soothing Pheromones" that mimics the Orion ability though only for science captains (it is not a universal).

Anyway, adding those traits could be done easily enough with genetic resequencers, they could put them in the cash shop or dil store (in fact the dil store would help with the current dil exchange problem a bit, space Barbie sells and all that). CBS might have something to say about that though in some cases I suppose.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It'd be great if those racial traits actually had any meaningful impact to the game. For instance, Tellarites' 'pig-headedness' gimmick never worked and is in fact useless. Fixing that or replacing it would go a long way and I suppose many other traits feel the same.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    It'd be great if those racial traits actually had any meaningful impact to the game. For instance, Tellarites' 'pig-headedness' gimmick never worked and is in fact useless. Fixing that or replacing it would go a long way and I suppose many other traits feel the same.

Agreed!
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User

Same for the Vulcan traits for example.

The Caitian one is the only one that has a notable effect that you can 'benefit' from at all times. Most others are either

- active things that have endless cooldowns and only a minor effect (Lib Borg stun, Vulcan nerve pinch)
    - small passive stat increases (Joined Trill)

I've long said it: the Caitian species is actually the only done right when looking at traits and having something unique that's always active. They should use that as an example.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    My fantasy species was based on the idea of breathing in space. I wanted him to be able to go into 0g and not take damage. That could be fun and useful. In fact this concept could allow more customization for aliens in general. I still can't make my alien how I want it.

I also wanted the potential to heal from radiation, or the reduced radiation damage. But that was secondary to breathing in space. The abilities being as traits could allow more roleplaying. Although I wouldn't want to use more than 1 trait slot as an alien. Unless it really helped my combat side and didn't sacrifice too much.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    I agree on both sides, really. The traits as they stand are currently useless for the most part but i would love seeing them updated and improved. More so, if it means we can use the alien races to better enhance our character creation. My current main character is essentially a Vulcan AND an augment, so it would be great to get traits that would allow me to better embody that, as well as the ability to rename "Alien" to any other species. One of my other characters is an aquatic race, so it would be great to give their species a name in that space, or traits that would give more credence to making your own race or making one from the shows that isn't big enough to merrit a real character option.

It would also be nice if they finally let us upgrade our player and boff traits to the Superior version, once you've reached max level.
  • Options
    The regular racial traits may seem a little weak, but they were probably not meant to dominate the character either. And remember, a lot of those things, like the aforementioned "pig-headedness", are several effects shoved into equivalent of one trait slot (and pig headedness is not that bad, it is a case of when the passives work there is nothing to see and as usual the clicky is a bit wonky because the skills in general often fail to trigger when you hit the button).

In fact, I run a lot of Orions and their pheromone ability (which is considered just as useless) does work though the tribble-deep in enemies thing the devs have been doing lately often makes that hard to see.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    I think we should be able to re-engineer the traits. i hate having boffs with all ground traist I would like to be able to train them with at least one space trait
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    At the very least, every race should have at least one potential space trait.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Yes, one space and one ground. It makes sense for a Star Trek game. And one could be a active and the other a passive one
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    At the very least, every race should have at least one potential space trait.

Agreed.

It's a bit silly - thinking about IDIC and all that - to have only a handful of species with interesting traits. I don't recall ever seeing a Federation cruiser being crewed solely by Romulans, Hierarchy's and Nausicaans just because they 'have the right traits'.

But that is exactly what the game encourages.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    vedauwoovedauwoo Member Posts: 215 Arc User

This is a good one.....perhaps they can succeed at a second attempt on any proffession's "special task" mission assignments...

• Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    The Gorn "Reptilian Strength" trait ought to include a boulder throwing attack. Then again, the Bite trait should be available gor Gorn BOFFs, not just captains.

*Ssssssigh!* ;)
This discussion has been closed.