test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ten Forward weekly 8/25/21

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    A lot of ships, like the Crossfield refit, the Janeway, the Inquiry class, should have been.
    I agree on the Inquiry, but that was last year. The 32c ships were never going to be C-Store though, with the exception of the AoY bundle far future ships are always in a gamble box.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    I agree on the Inquiry, but that was last year. The 32c ships were never going to be C-Store though, with the exception of the AoY bundle far future ships are always in a gamble box.
    Well, there was also the Eternal/Ouroboros/Chronos cross faction pack. But that was also released as part of AoY.

I was counting those as well, all part of the same bundle 🙂
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    A lot of ships, like the Crossfield refit, the Janeway, the Inquiry class, should have been.
    Janeway/Crossfield Refit shouldn't have been. Far future ships/items have traditionally been lockbox/Lobi/R&D items only.
    • Paradox Temporal Dreadnought
    • Tal'aura/Chargh'poH/Klein Temporal Destroyers
    • Talvath/Krenn/Mobius Temporal Destroyers
    • Sui'Mor/Qul'poH/Verne Temporal Science Vessels
    • R'Mor/Korath/Wells Temporal Science Vessels
    • Valkis/Durgath/Universe Temporal Heavy Dreadnoughts
    • Rozhenko/Aeon Timeships
    • All the DSC S3 ships(Jovian, Courage, Mars, Janneway, Crossfield Refit, Kwejian)
    • 3189/Wells/Temporal Jumpsuit uniforms

Except for all the ones that run counter to that, such as the Chronos and its stablemates (except for the ones on your list of course), along with the series that the Paladin class is part of. I picked up both the Chronos and the Paladin from the regular ship section of the c-store in fact.

The Inquiry class is just a T6 Avenger class line wise so there is a good argument for it to be a regular c-store ship. On the other hand, I suppose having it separated out into lockbox or whatever it is would be good insurance in case the devs are considering declaring STO to be its own continuity which would make it an "exotic crosstime or 'alien'" ship and therefore traditionally lockbox/lobi fare.
    I was counting those as well, all part of the same bundle 🙂
    Were they part of the same bundle as the TOS era ships and their T6 counterparts? Thought they were a different bundle... unless its a mega bundle you are mentioning. Either way yeah, that was the only time Cryptic put far future ships in the Zen store.
    Yeah the AoY Mega Bundle, it has all of them.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Her weapons could have ended all of life in the universe in a nano-second!
    Her failed spore tech drove Elachi insane, which caused them to attack everything.
    She started a civil war within a major inter-galactic power.
    Her actions led Aakar to launch said weapons at civilian targets and military, which caused the deaths of citizenry of nearly every major power in the entirety of the milky way.

0.o

To back up Som's counterpoints:
    • At that point in time, neither Starfleet nor the Klingon Empire could have known of the potential for disaster misused Spore Tech could pose. USS Discovery found out when they faced off against ISS Charon in the Mirror Universe. But then upon their return, the data was classified, and then classified again after Discovery "was lost with all hands" at the end of season 2 of Discovery.
    • The Elachi were serving the Iconians before J'Ula started putzing around in the 25th Century harvesting Spores. Hell... they may have been serving the Iconians since the 22nd Century for all we know. They didn't need a reason to attack, they were already being directed to destabilize the Romulans.
    • J'mpok is responsible for that. J'Ula just happened to be the match that lit the fuse left by him. Odds are Martok may have lit that fuse himself if he saw just how much dishonor J'mpok was dishing out.
    • Aakar framed her for Q'vat by ordering the attack on the colony instead of the shipyard, then outright betrayed her and joined J'mpok at Khitomer. The only thing J'Ula would be guilty of is making the weapon in the first place. Aakar was the one who pulled the trigger, and thus is ultimately responsible for the lives lost. May he burn in Gre'thor.

So realistically... J'ula is only guilty of being a patriot of the Empire in a time of war, a clever woman trying to get a leg up on the enemy, and being stuck in the past until she got the mother of all reality checks.

She's also technically guilty of breaking the Khitomer Accords...but so are half the players in the game.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Her failed spore tech drove Elachi insane, which caused them to attack everything.
    Her actions led Aakar to launch said weapons at civilian targets and military, which caused the deaths of citizenry of nearly every major power in the entirety of the milky way.

0.o

• At that point in time, neither Starfleet nor the Klingon Empire could have known of the potential for disaster misused Spore Tech could pose. USS Discovery found out when they faced off against ISS Charon in the Mirror Universe. But then upon their return, the data was classified, and then classified again after Discovery "was lost with all hands" at the end of season 2 of Discovery.
    • The Elachi were serving the Iconians before J'Ula started putzing around in the 25th Century harvesting Spores. Hell... they may have been serving the Iconians since the 22nd Century for all we know. They didn't need a reason to attack, they were already being directed to destabilize the Romulans.
    • J'mpok is responsible for that. J'Ula just happened to be the match that lit the fuse left by him. Odds are Martok may have lit that fuse himself if he saw just how much dishonor J'mpok was dishing out.
    • Aakar framed her for Q'vat by ordering the attack on the colony instead of the shipyard, then outright betrayed her and joined J'mpok at Khitomer. The only thing J'Ula would be guilty of is making the weapon in the first place. Aakar was the one who pulled the trigger, and thus is ultimately responsible for the lives lost. May he burn in Gre'thor.

So realistically... J'ula is only guilty of being a patriot of the Empire in a time of war, a clever woman trying to get a leg up on the enemy, and being stuck in the past until she got the mother of all reality checks.

She's also technically guilty of breaking the Khitomer Accords...but so are half the players in the game.​​

And the other half is probably guilty of even worse atrocities.

As I'm sure at least half the players have at least done or used some of the things below:

Thalaron weaponry
    Assimilating enemies
    'Assimilating' Undine ships
    Throwing other types of lethal doses of radiation around (hyperonic, neutronic)
    Painfully disintegrating or torturing enemies (dark matter, agony phasers, interphase decay)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

0.o

As I'm sure at least half the players have at least done or used some of the things below:

Thalaron weaponry
    Assimilating enemies
    Painfully disintegrating or torturing enemies (dark matter, agony phasers, interphase decay)

I'm not sure that complaining about lethal radiation makes sense when we are shooting it and many other ionizing energy beams at enemies to kill them.

0.o

Thalaron weaponry
    Assimilating enemies

I'm not sure that complaining about lethal radiation makes sense when we are shooting it and many other ionizing energy beams at enemies to kill them.

There's that too, but regular weapons weren't banned in any accord or presented as being as awful as those other things.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User

0.o

Thalaron weaponry
    Assimilating enemies

There's that too, but regular weapons weren't banned in any accord or presented as being as awful as those other things.

A lot of players also use the same mycelial weapon as J'Ula, I was in an instance of the Kobayashi Maru scenario yesterday where three of the players (myself included) unloaded the weapon at packs of Herald ships in the "survival" round.

She really hasn't done anything the player characters haven't done if they played though all the missions and TFOs, except getting scammed by the real scuzzbag, Aakar. Finding out the obvious villain is actually an antihero who was branded as a villain because of the actions of the real villain who is an underling secretly making their move to take over is a classic.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    Kael has campaigned on getting the Bonnie Kin mission added as a Halloween event, but Cryptic wants to remaster it before they do so

sorry, but how many missions are sitting in the waiting room for remastering now? without pushing buttons, but wtf? is this a new excuse for "not" doing mission remasters?
    Mentioned that since remote work started about half the team has moved to Texas, and there are no plans to go back to the physical studio any time soon, which has caused communication issues.

this doesnt bode well...

can't blame them for escaping commifornia to a low tax state like Texas
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User

We can shoot new ship/systems ideas to the devs, but due to legal reasons they can't read most of them.

They can't even read them? Or just not add / do anything with most of the ideas?

that's a fact. just like you cannot write a lower decks episode and send it to CBS. they legally cannot look at it unless you are represented by an agent. I write a episode of Picard where he wears a tutu. then an episode appears where he wears a tutu, but I get no credit (or payment) now I can sue the TRIBBLE out of CBS. I would even have a case if he wore ballerina slippers and leotard without the tutu, even if it was a coincidence, and the writer of the episode never saw my draft. it's all legal CYA. now MAYBE if you submitted something with a legal cover document releasing any claim of intellectual property they could do something
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    They had to delay a B5 episode because of a random comment on the internet?! JFC - Biden, repeal all copyright laws, then get lawyers to redo them properly.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    I missed it but a few things I would like to see is possibly a new dilithium sink that can actually help resolve one of my most irritating issue I want to get resolved with traits. So once you have completed the xp on one ship being its cross faction ships now that you can buy the trait for other characters with dilithium. Same with traits that involve specific racial or recruit like the Superior Infiltrator which is one big limiting factor in why battle cloak ships aren't as popular as they could be especially being that it has made any of my characters made before the KDF recruitment become obsolete.

The other thing I wanted to pitch is an event that I would find amusing personally that could be always on April Fools and then random limited times. So if you ever have watched Dukat on the DS9 series he always complains about how he treated the Bajorans like his children but there is no statue of him anywhere on Bajor. Being how something that is happening with social justice is tearing down statues. That something happens in the fire caves and the pah wraiths start creating Dukat Statues all over Bajor and the event its up to the players to tear them down as fast as possible. Also a great way if these statues could talk having some VO from Marc Alaimo.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Lets not have some stupid political vandalism movement represented in game, even in jest.
    We can shoot new ship/systems ideas to the devs, but due to legal reasons they can't read most of them.

They can't even read them? Or just not add / do anything with most of the ideas?

that's a fact. just like you cannot write a lower decks episode and send it to CBS. they legally cannot look at it unless you are represented by an agent. I write a episode of Picard where he wears a tutu. then an episode appears where he wears a tutu, but I get no credit (or payment) now I can sue the TRIBBLE out of CBS. I would even have a case if he wore ballerina slippers and leotard without the tutu, even if it was a coincidence, and the writer of the episode never saw my draft. it's all legal CYA. now MAYBE if you submitted something with a legal cover document releasing any claim of intellectual property they could do something

That certainly makes things clearer, thanks.

Still wondering how you'd prove that someone didn't come up with the idea by himself though. Or that CBS has actually read the proposal.

Wouldn't you at least have to prove that last thing if you are the one taking them to court? I'm not from the States, but I assume there's the presumption of innocence and the burden of proof principles that should play a role here - and to Cryptic's advantage, right?

Either way, it's pretty weird that things apparently work the way they do. You'd think that it would be the responsibility of the sender to inform the receiver that they're not allowed to do anything with it unless they're given credit and so on - instead of making the receiver responsible for just receiving something and being potentially at fault because the sender neglects to include a legal cover document...

I missed it but a few things I would like to see is possibly a new dilithium sink that can actually help resolve one of my most irritating issue I want to get resolved with traits. So once you have completed the xp on one ship being its cross faction ships now that you can buy the trait for other characters with dilithium. Same with traits that involve specific racial or recruit like the Superior Infiltrator which is one big limiting factor in why battle cloak ships aren't as popular as they could be especially being that it has made any of my characters made before the KDF recruitment become obsolete.

It would certainly help if we had such a feature.

While patrols and, when active, Red alerts can allow for quick trait collection, it's still an annoying process to go through.

Especially if you're interested in a trait like the Phantom's on a EPG captain who's not suited to fly escorts at all.

Having to continuously switch is also annoying if you just want to fly the same ship from level 0 until you reach 65 and actually start playing the game. When I create a new toon nowadays, I do so with a clear build, theme, mission and ship in mind. It's mildly annoying when I have to fly a totally different ship that doesn't fit all these things then.

I'd happily pay dilithium for the convenience.

It would certainly help if we had such a feature.

While patrols and, when active, Red alerts can allow for quick trait collection, it's still an annoying process to go through.

Especially if you're interested in a trait like the Phantom's on a EPG captain who's not suited to fly escorts at all.

Having to continuously switch is also annoying if you just want to fly the same ship from level 0 until you reach 65 and actually start playing the game. When I create a new toon nowadays, I do so with a clear build, theme, mission and ship in mind. It's mildly annoying when I have to fly a totally different ship that doesn't fit all these things then.

I'd happily pay dilithium for the convenience.

They certainly don't make swapping to new ships seamless either, even when the auto-gear swap thing works properly. Get everything equipped. Get all your boff stations set up. Beam up, reset every freakin' power on the hotkey bar because the game is built stupid for that, then your power settings, and then back into your traits to see what ones the game replaced or removed for the umpteenth time.

It takes about as much time just getting a new ship ready to be flown as it does actually unlocking the ship's trait.

Indeed.

I've got evasive maneuvers always set on 2, sensor scan, attack pattern alpha and EPS power transfer on 1, Brace for Impact on 6, Threatening stance on 7, Tactical/Engineering/Science fleet on C1 and so on.

Surely it should be possible to make the game remember this? To add a customisable default load option for a new ship?

For Boff abilities, I just use the separate Boff tray nowadays. I don't even go through the effort of putting those in the regular tray anymore until I'm settled in that character's main ship. Cause you'd indeed spend more time making everything right than using it.

• nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User

Still wondering how you'd prove that someone didn't come up with the idea by himself though. Or that CBS has actually read the proposal.

Wouldn't you at least have to prove that last thing if you are the one taking them to court? I'm not from the States, but I assume there's the presumption of innocence and the burden of proof principles that should play a role here - and to Cryptic's advantage, right?

Either way, it's pretty weird that things apparently work the way they do. You'd think that it would be the responsibility of the sender to inform the receiver that they're not allowed to do anything with it unless they're given credit and so on - instead of making the receiver responsible for just receiving something and being potentially at fault because the sender neglects to include a legal cover document...

nope. this is the country where some bimbo put a cup of hot coffee between her legs and burned herself when she drove off.. and won the lawsuits against McDonalds. also the same company that allowed the families of shooting victims sue the manufacturer of the firearm which is the same as suing Chevrolet because some idiot decided to get in an accident driving drunk.
    but that's the idiocy of the legal system
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
    nixie50 wrote: »

nope. this is the country where some bimbo put a cup of hot coffee between her legs and burned herself when she drove off.. and won the lawsuits against McDonalds.
    You should actually research that case instead of repeating whatever you've heard someone tell you, there's a reason the old lady won.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Isn't freshly-brewed (Yes, I know... McDonald's) coffee SUPPOSED to be hot? Like...the coffee and tea that comes out of the Ninja my parents just got, if I accidentally spilt that all over an exposed part of myself, I would expect to get 3rd-degree burns from it - but I wouldn't sue the company over it.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

This discussion has been closed.