test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Strange noises at Earth Space Dock

spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
Is anyone else hearing "snap crackle and pop" noises in certain areas of ESD? It's really getting quite annoying.....
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    maybe it's the rice krispies elves
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    I wonder if this is similar to when SWOTR had random explosion sounds on your ship when you were on it.

Cirran
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Is it in any particular instance?
    I'm on ESD now and I don't hear any popping.

I'd also like to ask if you're hearing this anywhere else as well. Want to rule out the possiblity of old speakers, as they tend to pop when they start failing.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    I wonder if it is someone playing with the holiday popper, or someone using something like the personal trajector jump or whatever it is called in some out of the way corner.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    If it's the same sound I've heard it seems like feedback. The snap crackle pop is coming from my headset. It appears localized. There are parts of areas on a couple of maps (The two that come to mind are ESD and First City where the "effect" occurs when you walk into the, "dead zones". I think there is one near the mail in the exchange on ESD, and others on some of the off roads on the First City map.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Is it in any particular instance?
    I'm on ESD now and I don't hear any popping.

I'd also like to ask if you're hearing this anywhere else as well. Want to rule out the possiblity of old speakers, as they tend to pop when they start failing.

That's what i thought at first. It sounds like speaker "Pop", but it only happens in STO and specifically on ESD, mainly in the area near the bank terminal outside Quinn's office and slightly less so in the open space between the tailor and where Q sometimes hangs out. It happens on multiple characters and instances. Also, it's still there if I switch to headphones.

Edit: I just noticed it increases/decreases according to the "ambient" level in audio settings. So it appears to be something in-game.
    Post edited by spacehermit on
  • warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    I still say it's the rice krispies elves
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Maybe they still have the artisinal sound on somewhere.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    instance? can you swap maps and get the same noise in the same location on diff maps?

where on ESD? you said certain places.

this. are you near club 47? down at the ship selector? backside of the exchange?
    Spock.jpg

• edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Pumped ambient audio all the way up and checked out the mentioned areas, and nothing but sound effects and ambient audio. I'm wondering if maybe it's something internal to the computer, like maybe the sound card is creating the noise due to RF interference from something? (Maybe even the sound card itself.) Or, if it's an older sound card, maybe it's trying to play too many sounds at once? Could even be a bug in the sound card drivers. One thing you could eliminate as a suspect, would be corrupted audio files: Tell the launcher to do a force verify of files in the launcher's settings.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    "Gremlins!" I blame outer space gremlins for this tomfoolery.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    I'll just ping @darkbladejk for some advice.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    can you get a video of what you're hearing? that'll tell me where you're at and let me hear what you are. What you're describing can be a local thing and be on your end, or it can be something with the game itself. If a sound file is corrupted I've known them to produce distorted sounds. Likewise if you have a short in your speaks or headset that can also cause popping noises.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    can you get a video of what you're hearing? that'll tell me where you're at and let me hear what you are. What you're describing can be a local thing and be on your end, or it can be something with the game itself. If a sound file is corrupted I've known them to produce distorted sounds. Likewise if you have a short in your speaks or headset that can also cause popping noises.

I can get something a bit akin to what he's describing if the sound file is at the right place and I walk in and out of a "dead zone" in ESD it's not quite exact but I could describe it as a pop when the sound file comes back, though in my case I think it's just a fragment of a sound that should be playing but wasn't.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    i just hear the guy in the front of the line pounding on the bathroom door...
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User

I'll try!!

Thanks for the help, everyone.
This discussion has been closed.