test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is the TOS Type-2 Phaser "Black and White?"

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Looks incredibly cheap and weird; also completely out of place. Given we're paying for this thing, can't we get some art at least as nice looking as the old in-game mission reward ones?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Heezdedjim wrote:
    Looks incredibly cheap and weird; also completely out of place. Given we're paying for this thing, can't we get some art at least as nice looking as the old in-game mission reward ones?

...because you can still get that one?

Plus, there were several different versions of the Type-2 Phaser - the most prominent being the 'blue body, black handle' version (the mission reward one) and the 'black body', white handle' one (the new C-Store one).

A photo of replicas of both versions, for comparison's sake

So yeah, it's really cool that we've actually got cosmetic variants of the Type-2. Honestly, it's the one faultless thing in this new C-Store pack, and I hope we get more items like it in future.

(...such as all the other different phaser styles - TMP, TNG, TUC, DS9, VOY, NEM, etc.! ;) )
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    ...because you can still get that one?
    So put the ugly art on that one. If I'm paying $20 for a "bundle" that includes a new one, I expect it to be the prettier one.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heezdedjim wrote:
    So put the ugly art on that one. If I'm paying $20 for a "bundle" that includes a new one, I expect it to be the prettier one.

Give the "ugly" one to a boff you don't like :p
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mailman653 wrote: »
    Give the "ugly" one to a boff you don't like :p
    You can get as many as you want, actually, so I'd like to give em to all my BOFFs. I just want them to look like real phasers and not paper mache toys.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is this the part where I point out that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heezdedjim wrote:
    You can get as many as you want, actually, so I'd like to give em to all my BOFFs. I just want them to look like real phasers and not paper mache toys.

I don't see what the problem is with the look - it's exactly the same model, but with colours from the other main variant from the shows.

Unless, of course, you think the prop from the shows looks like papier mach
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ezhno wrote: »
    Is this the part where I point out that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'?
    No, this is the part where they go back and put some decent art on the item. It doesn't even look like the genuine "white handle" variant posted above. It just looks like somebody didn't have any time to finish skinning it, so they left it half-done and called it "Black and White" instead.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't see what the problem is with the look - it's exactly the same model, but with colours from the other main variant from the shows.

Unless, of course, you think the prop from the shows looks like papier mach
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It doesn't look like the one posted above; just looks like the "Type 1" part of it, and other bits, have no skin at all on the "white" parts. If there was something on those parts and it was just white, maybe it would be ok, but there are parts of it that are "white" which clearly aren't in the "real thing."
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heezdedjim wrote:
    It doesn't look like the one posted above; just looks like the "Type 1" part of it, and other bits, have no skin at all on the "white" parts. If there was something on those parts and it was just white, maybe it would be ok, but there are parts of it that are "white" which clearly aren't in the "real thing."

Sounds like the same glitch they had with the Romulan Disruptor Pistol, where one side was untextured white. Can you post a pic?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ezhno wrote: »
    Now you're just flaming. I'm wondering if you've watched the original series because, as has been stated, this is a common variant often seen within it. You don't want it to look like a toy? Dare I ask what you think of the original series phaser rifle... They look like toys because they were meant to be sold as toys; and they were. Even the Next Generation era weapons were sold as such. They looked like cheap plastic blocks in the show, and cheap plastic replicas were sold as toys.
    Settle down, and stop trying to turn this into something it isn't. It's a legitimate complaint; the item has art that clearly just wasn't finished. The Type 2 Fed Phaser Rifle is a beautiful design, well executed in game, that is also faithful to the appearance of the item on the series. This thing just looks like a rush job based on something that could not be rendered well at low res. They just need to find a more attractive variant and give this thing a skin that's worth paying for, that's all. There would be nothing wrong with making this one look like the prior Type 2 variants already in game, and within the confines of the game engine, it would come off looking a lot nicer,
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heezdedjim wrote:
    Settle down, and stop trying to turn this into something it isn't. It's a legitimate complaint; the item has art that clearly just wasn't finished. The Type 2 Fed Phaser Rifle is a beautiful design, well executed in game, that is also faithful to the appearance of the item on the series. This thing just looks like a rush job based on something that could not be rendered well at low res. They just need to find a more attractive variant and give this thing a skin that's worth paying for, that's all. There would be nothing wrong with making this one look like the prior Type 2 variants already in game, and within the confines of the game engine, it would come off looking a lot nicer,

Excuse me? "Settle down" you're the one posting aggressively when everyone else is trying to explain that this is a valid variant that some of us actually like and belongs in game just as much as any other. You started by saying that it was ugly, which is entirely an opinion (as I pointed out); everyone has different tastes. Citing that you do not like this variant but rather the blue one. Cryptic is not going to change the distribution of their packages just to swap out a palette of a weapon that's already easily available for free. It's only until just now that you're saying it might be a bugged item in which case you need to file a bug report as the forums are not part of the ticket system. You stirred this pot.

Make a bug report if you think it's bugged for you.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heezdedjim wrote:

Prettier lol made me laugh i love it

this is a war game, that is the first time I've seen a comment ask for pretty looking weapons to kill people with. Your playing the wrong game, my daughter has one you might like, forget what its called but it has a lot of pretty items in it.

Also, did one of the Cryptic team come over to your house, put a gun to your head until you purchased it? It is an "offer" like any other in the world. You don't need to like it, you don't need to buy it and you certainly don't need to complain about it unless you did buy it and then your complaint has to be about something not in the offer.

Cryptic are doing great right now. I'm impressed.

Most changes are spot on, most items are a step in the right direction and most c-store offers don't come with the limit time extras this one is giving.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    michael0525michael0525 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    The white phasers are strange...white handle with black body and phaser 1 I've seen in some of the first season but never white handle AND white phaser 1...It is a bad look. Where can I find the black handled, blue bodied model?
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited August 2021
    The white phasers are strange...white handle with black body and phaser 1 I've seen in some of the first season but never white handle AND white phaser 1...It is a bad look. Where can I find the black handled, blue bodied model?

Fleet K-13 or the mission "Night of the Comet".

That being said...
    This is a mega Necro dating back all the way to 2011. Congrats on raizing a 10 year old Zombie. Now I put it back in the ground.
    *casts Holy Photon Torpedo*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.