test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Kobali front

relicdude#3981 relicdude Member Posts: 16 Arc User
I want to know what you guys think of that. Not the guys/girls that have everything after years of playing, that know every trick in the STO book, have every ground gear to counter what ever they throw at you... but the new player. the newbies, the ones that do not have everything, Players that are scraping by on dil mines and tour of the galaxy runs, on a warp 5 ship getting only 5000 ec a system. There is so much to know. that they don't. and therefore do not get. And yes., i consider myself one of them. I played STO for what ?.. a year now ?... i have a life time sub, spend hundreds, maybe even thousands, i am not keeping score, of Euro's on ships, keys, tokens, etc. and I own dozens of ships, half of which i cant even find anymore. I am 65-yo, and loved Star-trek ever-since the first episode back in the 60's. Yes. that old.

I have seen ever episode of every series, (except cartoons, i hate cartoons) And saw and bought every film that ever came out. And i thought playing Star trek online, myself, would be the best thing after actually going out there in person... After all, even if possible, i am never going out in space, am i ?.. being my age, and with my disabilities ?.

Now, whats my point, you ask. A valid question.

I want to know how to get through the kobali front without dying hundreds of times. they spawn everywhere, even above you. and even if i manage to kill hem, 3 secs later, they are back, even before i can take a heal, with a cool-down time (that triggers all my other consumables to go on a cool down also for some reason) much longer then the time they take to spawn back. its a no win scenario.. to me anyway. And to make matters worse, you cant take your entire ground team, Nooo... that would be to easy, now wouldn't it ?... Its bloody frustrating, for me anyway.. And i do not give up so easily.. i tried hundreds of times... with not great, but decent gear. but in doing that, i understand why STO has only got about 2000 steady players... so, as a old TRIBBLE nub, i ask the all knowing community for an answer, because i cant find a lexicon anywhere, and i heard the STO community is a friendly, helpful community. I only have my fleet to go on, and they are wonderful, helpful, and generous people, (1st Elite Wing) but i don't always want to ask them, and so... the Kobali front...

What am i doing wrong ?.. what do i not see ?... what do i not know ?.. what should i do that i am obviously not doing ?....
"The day you stop playing, is the day you start dying.."
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    It was a lot easier when there were other people in the area - when people were going for those 2 elite marks there at the end also. I assume that's over.

Be familiar with the battlezone. The areas to the right and especially upper right are much harder and will have less other players. Try to find a highly populated instance and tag along with others.

Try to get some decent ground gear. The Na'kuhl shield and armor from that story mission are good. Also the Jem'Hadar set. Both of these are free and offer immunity to damage.

If you are science - burn them down at range with radiation and exothermic. If you are engineering put up some mines, drones, and turrets and let those do a lot of the work. Tac, let your reinforcements help.

Like traditional MMO style, try not to 'pull' more than a couple enemies at a time. That is, be careful not to run into the middle of a group of 10 enemies.

Revive your boffs when they die. Get you and them level 15 gear.

It's not too bad. You can do it!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    While I'm in the category of having gear... I've recently run through it with a not so well geared character.

I'd say first off... what "class" is your character? Tac, Engie, or Sci?
    Second: What gear are you working with right now?
    Third: How far into Kobali are you?

If we can get that... we might be able to figure out a strategy.
    It was a lot easier when there were other people in the area - when people were going for those 2 elite marks there at the end also. I assume that's over.

No... they still can get the elite marks from the last two missions. I still see people on Kobali Prime. Could be a timezone thing combined with people not hammering Iconian and Delta Rep.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Alternatively could try running one or two Science BOffs set up as medics for heal spam.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    This really isn't a new player thing. The zone is badly designed for a single player, even one who is equipped reasonably well. Its actually more of a problem in the lower region close to the city because there are so many groups massed together there with very fast respawns. Once you get out of there it is mostly a lot easier, I find.

However if you take the time to learn how the groups work and how to not aggro all the groups, it gets easier. That takes trial and error and only costs time.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    there is a free kit module interesting, the one from "uneasy allies": https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Universal_Kit_Module_-_Plasma_Feedback_Cascade
    you can also train your boffs to temporal skills like Paradox Bomb (mini grav well) and uncertainty burst (foes are Confused for several seconds).: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10017373-star-trek-online:-temporal-bridge-officers

if you have a lot of ec, you can buy for your boff engineer: sabotage (very expensive in the exchange), this skill disables the weapons for several seconds. there is also a kit module for an engineer character. https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Ability:_Sabotage

for a tactical character from the summer event store (you need lohlunat favors): https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Tactical_Kit_Module_-_Graviton_Spike
    for an engineer character from the winter event store (you need winter currencies): there is anchor of grethor (kit module and boff training manual), not bad and funny, and more funny if 1 of your boff uses also paradox bomb.
    there is also this kit module from the summer event: https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Universal_Kit_Module_-_Ball_Lightning

lohlunats favors and winter currencies can be bought in the exchange. (not very cheap, however. )

like said before, burham armor + nakhul shield are very good.
    for the weapon, i like to use the cheap romulan wide beam rifle, I bought several MK I rifles, and upgraded them (for me and my boffs) https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Plasma_Wide_Beam_Rifle
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    um, the advanced iconian staffs. the chain damage can be a godsend.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    I want to know what you guys think of that. Not the guys/girls that have everything after years of playing, that know every trick in the STO book, have every ground gear to counter what ever they throw at you... but the new player. the newbies, the ones that do not have everything, Players that are scraping by on dil mines and tour of the galaxy runs, on a warp 5 ship getting only 5000 ec a system. There is so much to know. that they don't. and therefore do not get. And yes., i consider myself one of them. I played STO for what ?.. a year now ?... i have a life time sub, spend hundreds, maybe even thousands, i am not keeping score, of Euro's on ships, keys, tokens, etc. and I own dozens of ships, half of which i cant even find anymore. I am 65-yo, and loved Star-trek ever-since the first episode back in the 60's. Yes. that old.

I have seen ever episode of every series, (except cartoons, i hate cartoons) And saw and bought every film that ever came out. And i thought playing Star trek online, myself, would be the best thing after actually going out there in person... After all, even if possible, i am never going out in space, am i ?.. being my age, and with my disabilities ?.

I want to know how to get through the kobali front without dying hundreds of times. they spawn everywhere, even above you. and even if i manage to kill hem, 3 secs later, they are back, even before i can take a heal, with a cool-down time (that triggers all my other consumables to go on a cool down also for some reason) much longer then the time they take to spawn back. its a no win scenario.. to me anyway. And to make matters worse, you cant take your entire ground team, Nooo... that would be to easy, now wouldn't it ?... Its bloody frustrating, for me anyway.. And i do not give up so easily.. i tried hundreds of times... with not great, but decent gear. but in doing that, i understand why STO has only got about 2000 steady players... so, as a old TRIBBLE nub, i ask the all knowing community for an answer, because i cant find a lexicon anywhere, and i heard the STO community is a friendly, helpful community. I only have my fleet to go on, and they are wonderful, helpful, and generous people, (1st Elite Wing) but i don't always want to ask them, and so... the Kobali front...

What am i doing wrong ?.. what do i not see ?... what do i not know ?.. what should i do that i am obviously not doing ?....

Run as a team with someone you trust.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Yes, I am one of those 'fully geared, maxed out, using the best meta build' kinda players.. I can chew through it like a hot knife through butter.. but man.. I do remember my first trip there..

I got absolutely smashed.

I have said for years, and still say that Kobali is way over the top for leveling players. The enemy respawn is so fast it's just simply broken. I am sorry you are at this point in your progress, it's easily the most frustrating part. No, you don't need to be maxed out or have the perfect layout to handle it, but it's definitely very frustrating for people that are still figuring it out.

The suggestions above are all good, I would also suggest one more thing. Are you in a fleet? If you are, maybe you can ask in your fleet chat for 1 or 2 people to come with you and help you through it? Even with just 2 people, the zone becomes unbelievably easier, it goes from a no fun slog to actually quite a good experience. Two players even modestly geared can get it done and make it an actual fun time.

I would suggest trying that, if you can't get anyone to go, depending on Time Zone and platform (I only play on PC,) if you just want to get through it, I would be willing to go with you and just smash everything so you can run unopposed to your objectives. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    As far as I can tell mobs trigger when you get to close or engage. It's possible to pick them apart individually but if you try to get too clever and try to outflank anything you will just end up waking more of them up. Prepare before you attack. Start the engagement and don't go bumbling in and let them be the instigator. Start them dying at go. Make sure the BOffs on your reduced away team are geared almost as well as you are. A lot of content let's you get away with junk on your away team but the Vaadwaur won't cut you that much slack. Pets and Eng support can be a great equalizer. If you aren't an engineer by trade a eng boff can be very helpful if you set up a kill zone and bring the Vaadwaur to you. They will charge and mines will wreck them. Watch out for flanking. Their scouts are dirty and picking off that clown early on keeps him from shooting you in the back later.

Edit: If your abilities are slow on cooldown look at your build. The commando spec tree has some cool down aids and if you are in a dedicated ground scenario it's a solid choice for a visit to the front. As well as switching a spec there should be some equipment that can further speed your cooldowns. If all else fails look at your ground points and your kit proficiency component.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Not a clue what the meta build is, but i can typically take on kobali without problems.

The advice above and gear is all useful, but the bottom line is that you don't aggro more than you can chew and work of the strong points of your character.

Only things i would recommend for starting player is the Na'hkull shield, plasma feedback module and a split beam rifle (e.g. the romulan one from a mission).

Other than that, learn the map and behavior patterns to rule said battle zone.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Oh, also, if you have access to the pahvo crystals they will fix it for you by themselves. The dino with frikken laser beams will do very well and the Elachi walker pet will do even better. So with any of those you can solo it.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Not exactly well versed in everything, but I am that lass that does have everything. :blush: Nonetheless, to answer your question,

"I want to know how to get through the kobali front without dying hundreds of times."

You use an Endeavor pass token. :p No joke. I still have a trauma from Geko's passive-aggressive Delta Rising BS, making us painstakingly fight the Vaadwaur. After that, I resolved to immediate use a pass token on 'Fight vaadwaur (ground)' Endeavors whenever it's offered.

If you're actually doing the Delta gig, realize they did this on purpose, to slow ppl down, cuz their egos couldn't handle the fact that players went '17x faster than elsewhere.' The Kobali Front was intentionally made to be frustrating, tedious, infuriating, and slow. And notice it can't be skipped -- also with the express intention of grinding you to a halt. But I'm not bitter or anything. :) Seriously, though, no more Kobali for me, like ever.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    vaadwaurs are one of the most interesting foes to fight on ground. Because against them, you have to learn; how to fight them.
    But in this game, efforts/learning are forbidden, only matters the easy pew pew against slow and stupid foes.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    > @sennahcherib said:
    > vaadwaurs are one of the most interesting foes to fight on ground. Because against them, you have to learn; how to fight them.
    > But in this game, efforts/learning are forbidden, only matters the easy pew pew against slow and stupid foes.

That's not true. This thread has plenty of "forbidden" suggestions.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• relicdude#3981 relicdude Member Posts: 16 Arc User

Be familiar with the battlezone. The areas to the right and especially upper right are much harder and will have less other players. Try to find a highly populated instance and tag along with others.

Try to get some decent ground gear. The Na'kuhl shield and armor from that story mission are good. Also the Jem'Hadar set. Both of these are free and offer immunity to damage.

If you are science - burn them down at range with radiation and exothermic. If you are engineering put up some mines, drones, and turrets and let those do a lot of the work. Tac, let your reinforcements help.

Like traditional MMO style, try not to 'pull' more than a couple enemies at a time. That is, be careful not to run into the middle of a group of 10 enemies.

Revive your boffs when they die. Get you and them level 15 gear.

It's not too bad. You can do it!

I used he 50 lobi armor from he lobi store, and the herald antiptroton lance. all level 12, no dil to upgrade..as usual, but i heard somewhere that it grows with you till level 50. and you cant even upgrade before then.

I have 1 engineer, (my first character) and 2 tac characters. By now all fleet admirals.

If i revive any bof, i get shot from all sides by too fast respauning enemies. (cobali front) But ill try to keep your tips in mind. one of hem is bound to help.

Thanks,

RD.
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Not exactly well versed in everything, but I am that lass that does have everything. :blush: Nonetheless, to answer your question,

"I want to know how to get through the kobali front without dying hundreds of times."

You use an Endeavor pass token. :p No joke. I still have a trauma from Geko's passive-aggressive Delta Rising BS, making us painstakingly fight the Vaadwaur. After that, I resolved to immediate use a pass token on 'Fight vaadwaur (ground)' Endeavors whenever it's offered.

If you're actually doing the Delta gig, realize they did this on purpose, to slow ppl down, cuz their egos couldn't handle the fact that players went '17x faster than elsewhere.' The Kobali Front was intentionally made to be frustrating, tedious, infuriating, and slow. And notice it can't be skipped -- also with the express intention of grinding you to a halt. But I'm not bitter or anything. :) Seriously, though, no more Kobali for me, like ever.

Thats exactly what i am thinking. But If you get burned, one person learns and adapts, and the other just feels pain.....
    > @sennahcherib said:
    > vaadwaurs are one of the most interesting foes to fight on ground. Because against them, you have to learn; how to fight them.
    > But in this game, efforts/learning are forbidden, only matters the easy pew pew against slow and stupid foes.

That's not true. This thread has plenty of "forbidden" suggestions.

@, Why if i use a heal, my energy and all other consumables also go on cool-down ?... ie; i cant use them. thats unfair imho. Why only 2 BOF's ?.. i see no reason for it. this all rieks like an deliberate act to make the Kobali font an near unplayable quest... Or at least no fun at all.

Question is... WHY ?.
    Oh, also, if you have access to the pahvo crystals they will fix it for you by themselves. The dino with frikken laser beams will do very well and the Elachi walker pet will do even better. So with any of those you can solo it.

Any idea what your beloved Elachi walker pet costs ?.... I rather just skip the entire Kobali front...
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Alternatively could try running one or two Science BOffs set up as medics for heal spam.

Tried that... I stay alive longer, they die. and i get gangbanged by way to fast respawning enemies....
    use cover too. dont just blast out and stand there.
    as stated, dont pull more then one group at a time.
    using crowd controls or AOEs help too.

its possible. just change up tactics a bit.

preciate your comments.

Try to make a character, and get him/her to level 65 WITHOUT buying anything from any store, except consumables, Or use stuff you already have from another run. Including ships. Only use what you get from drops and rewards... THAT'S how free to play and newbies feel. Rep stuff you only get much later, so you cant use, besides, grinding a rep to Tier 6 isn't exactly easy, and takes along time. Then do, when it comes along, the Kobali front.

Really fun... i promise.
    Yes, I am one of those 'fully geared, maxed out, using the best meta build' kinda players.. I can chew through it like a hot knife through butter.. but man.. I do remember my first trip there..

I got absolutely smashed.

I have said for years, and still say that Kobali is way over the top for leveling players. The enemy respawn is so fast it's just simply broken. I am sorry you are at this point in your progress, it's easily the most frustrating part. No, you don't need to be maxed out or have the perfect layout to handle it, but it's definitely very frustrating for people that are still figuring it out.

The suggestions above are all good, I would also suggest one more thing. Are you in a fleet? If you are, maybe you can ask in your fleet chat for 1 or 2 people to come with you and help you through it? Even with just 2 people, the zone becomes unbelievably easier, it goes from a no fun slog to actually quite a good experience. Two players even modestly geared can get it done and make it an actual fun time.

I would suggest trying that, if you can't get anyone to go, depending on Time Zone and platform (I only play on PC,) if you just want to get through it, I would be willing to go with you and just smash everything so you can run unopposed to your objectives. :lol:

So you know ?... i know justice also knows... (he makes videos on Youtube) I am in a fleet. 1st Elite Wing. Great fleet, i bet that i can get some to play.. but thats just the point, isn't it ?... I shouldn't have to. And although running around with you on Kobali prime sounds like massive fun... it proves my point. Its practically undoable as a player without that. And it shouldn't.

The so called Game masters have reacted to my complaint about this issue, with sending me to the forums. so here i am. But now i find kind helpful other players, and i thank you all for that... but no response from the dev team... In order to adress the issues, what was the primary reason they send me here.

I know Cryptic cares about this game, and so do i. Or i would not have spend so much money on the Zen store. But on the other hand, there are so many small and big issues with his game, and we, or at least i... report them, but it seems that they do not care to fix them... If they do not want STO to die, and i certainly wont.. they better start listening... Or STO will go the way of the DoDo... slowly and painfully.

And that would be a real shame.... Because it has so much potential...

RD.
  • edenbaumedenbaum Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    For a leveling Ground build.
    Pheonix Boxes/tokens. Get the sompek shield and weapon. Once bought you can claim them over and over, as long as you dont have one equiped on you main character.Equip all your ground bridge officers with them. Purple shield and weapon with a set bonus heal, also it levels up with you amazing.
    Kit modules. Either buy or craft Mark II purple kit modules and kit frame they are around 20,000EC each. Add a Pheonix token upgrade with will level it up to MK X or XI. So every 10 levels upgrade the item till you run out of upgrade points.
    Armour. Either use one from the Events or buy a Purple MK II from the Exchange add a Pheonix token upgrade with will level it up to MK IX or X.

I find it best to use Engineers on ground using Mines Turrets and Generators

So for a relatively small amount of EC & 40,000 Dil you have your ground build sorted for leveling. Plus you probably have Pheonix token upgrades spare for you space build.

For Space the prolonged engament set is really good.
    ok, lets go another route...

what kit are you using, and what kit skills do you have placed on your CPT?
    what boffs are you using and what skills are set up?
    any pets being used? any drones used?

are you staying away from other mobs so as to not aggro more then your team can handle? is there a particular place you have problems with, or is it the whole map?

The first time.. Just the TRIBBLE that i got from mission drops and rewards. Except that Lobi stuff. I have a decent grasp on Bridge officers in space. On the ground ?... not so much.. so they are basically default.
This discussion has been closed.