test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Remembering Mark Lenard

balarickbalarick Member Posts: 30 Arc User
I can't find another section where I feel this topic would be better suited, and so I'm placing it here, since the design of the memorials on Qo'noS, ESD, Mol'Rihan, and DS9 could be considered as falling under "art."

Although he only appeared a few times, Sarek was a very important character to the establishment of vulcan lore, not to mention the backstory for Spock. One of the most harrowing performances by Patrick Stewart in Star Trek (at least in my opinion) was in the TNG episode "Sarek" in which he allowed Sarek to impart on him his emotional distress, which he could no longer control due to the onset of Bendii Syndrome (again, something that comes into play later with other vulcans), so that he could conclude a treaty he'd been working on for decades. Bendii Syndrome ultimately led to Sarek's death, which was added to the story of "Unification" to give Sarek a meaningful farewell as Mark Lenard himself was dying at the time and he knew he would never be able to reprise the role again.

Before playing the role of Sarek, Mark Lenard also appeared in the TOS episode "Balance of Terror" as the romulan commander who squared off against Kirk and the Enterprise. He played one of the first romulans we ever saw on Star Trek.

He also played the captain of one of the three klingon vessels that are destroyed by V'ger in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. He is thus the only person, guest star or otherwise, to have played a romulan, a vulcan, and a klingon!

I believe that Mark Lenard deserves a place on the memorials.

Comments