test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launcher error - Launcher won't start since patch of 8/17

o0galathor0oo0galathor0o Member Posts: 69 Arc User
edited August 2021 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I just wanted to start my launcher to get the latest patch. A message on my screen says, that the launcher is being actualized, but after a while a "Patcher error" message appears, telling me "A file was locked that could not be opened for writing". And that's it. Tried several times, every time the same result.

This time a restart of my computer didn't help (as it did when I first hat this problem in June). What's wrong?
~ Don't blame the clown for being a clown, blame yourself for going to the circus ~
Post edited by o0galathor0o on

Comments

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Have you turned off On Demand Patching in the Options section of the launcher, turned on Force Verify, click Save, let it patch, and see if that fixes it? Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • o0galathor0oo0galathor0o Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    sthe91 wrote: »
    Have you turned off On Demand Patching in the Options section of the launcher, turned on Force Verify, click Save, let it patch, and see if that fixes it? Thanks. :)

I would try, but the launcher doesn't even open.
    ~ Don't blame the clown for being a clown, blame yourself for going to the circus ~
    edited August 2021
    Hmm. Are you going directly through the launcher or using Arc/Steam?
    edited August 2021
    Hmm. Are you going directly through the launcher or using Arc/Steam?

Launcher directly.
    I just thought of something. Have you tried uninstalling Star Trek Online and then reinstalling it. Also, have you defragmented your computer recently?
    edited August 2021
    I just thought of something. Have you tried uninstalling Star Trek Online and then reinstalling it. Also, have you defragmented your computer recently?

No and no. I have been in game successfully two days before the patch and since then made no changes on the computer. So in my eyes it has have to do with the last patch. But if Cryptic doesn't read this and help (what seems to be the case) I might have to try and reinstall it. But wouldn't that be a massive download? Haven't tried it before. And could I lose anything ingame if I uninstall it?

No and no. I have been in game successfully two days before the patch and since then made no changes on the computer. So in my eyes it has have to do with the last patch. But if Cryptic doesn't read this and help (what seems to be the case) I might have to try and reinstall it. But wouldn't that be a massive download? Haven't tried it before. And could I lose anything ingame if I uninstall it?

maybe a few settings, but you wont lose toons etc. thats all server side save.

do you have any windows updates on hold?

Ok, that's good to hear, thanks. I still run Windows 7 and though I run automatic updates, as far as I know there are no more updates for Win7. But like I said, two days before the patch I was in game and it worked well, so I don't think it's because of my Windows.
    Thought it might change after a while as it did another time when this happened...but nothing.
    I don't know what ***t is cooking there...but yesterday I thought I'd try it with ARC...didn't work, "Upgrade error". Uninstalled ARC, reinstalled it...same error. So uninstalled it again. And a few minutes ago I thought I try my launcher again, expecting the same error I got for a week now. but now...launcher started again. Seems like they really work hard to crash the whole thing against the wall.
    any reason why you prefer arc launcher over the exe file to launch it?

I don't prefer the ARC launcher at all, actually I have never tried it. Since I started STO in 2012 I work with the launcher that was actual at this time (I guess that's the exe file you refer to) and I'm happy with it. I just tried to try ARC because I ran out of options with my "old" launcher not starting up. But well...ARC didn't work and now fortunately (and miraculously) my "old" launcher works again.