test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Mars" class coming soon (infinity luckbox)

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    kayajay wrote: »
    STO and Star Trek really need to start looking to the past for their starships, because these "designs" are becoming more atrocious with each passing update.

"But, but, but... Futuristic!™"

Ugh. :/

edit: but yeah, it's not Cryptic's fault. They're stuck with whatever drek CBS shoves into the shows.

Pretty much that. These designs are not at all on Cryptic and the Trek license does come with some baggage that being the case. It's just that we are in an era where the folks in creative control of the television broadcasts do not at all seem to like anything about the older Trek shows, lore, universe or really anything recognizable that can be identified with Star Trek? They prefer to chart their own course, which would be fine, well at least if they hadn't saddled us with a mutineer as lead character. Burnham can go suck one!

Please discuss the TV show in a separate thread(in Ten Forward, btw, not STO general). Every thread about a ship from DSC shouldn't turn into a general discussion of the show.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • captainjtietzcaptainjtietz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Ugh, we've gone from toilet to I don't know, a speculum, a butt plug and two prongs, a bottlecap opener.
    Why is it that the further forward we seem to go, the more steps back we seem to take?
    Gee, isn't that the question of the century?
  • mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    Hard MEH...

Why don't they just make invisible ships and RP for a change while giving FREE money to PWE? detached nacelles is a FAILURE of design!
  • relicthiefrelicthief Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    relicthief wrote: »
    This is what happens when you have graphics designers make ships instead of engineers.
    lol more like CBS designing ships since it is from disco S3 like the Janeway and Courage.

That is exactly what I meant though, past ships in the shows were designed by people with engineering knowledge, new ships are made by people with art school degrees.
    Ancient Alien.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    An uninspired design that didn't go far enough away from it's Tupperware aisle origins. DISC needs to talk with their designers, or stop sending them shopping for ideas. This ship is going to have to have some really "special" stats or we're going to need a rash of not so special ones to pump it up.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    A ship that ugly they should pay us to fly it. :p It's just a bunch of flying space debris with windows. :D
    Post edited by vonhellsting on
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Seeing it in action I kind of like it
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Tried appreciating the design, but can't, as there's nothing there to appreciate, doesn't seem an inspired design. It's bland, generic sci fi. Detached floaty parts is a cool idea, I do get that style (so long as it's not exaggerated), and maybe it resembles another design I like, the Dauntless, but even so, none of that is redeeming in any way, to me, sadly.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Seeing it in action I kind of like it

well, at least you like it. :)

that's what I go by😂
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Not bad, I like it.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    Mm. It's okay, I guess. I simply prefer the olden days when Star Trek ships were made out of Macross and Gundam model parts.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    djf021 wrote: »
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > The only ones from DSCs3 that look even remotely good (to me, purely subjective) are the ones that are clearly based on the the classis ships like the Connie and Intrepid.

Have we seen a 32nd century cruiser of Connie lineage? Because I would save up for that...

It was not seen clearly on screen but this is from a book Eaglemoss made after they got the rights to make the model from CBS:

8so033S.jpg

I'm not saying I love it, and probably wouldn't even buy it when it's added to the game. I'm just saying it and the Intrepid are the best looking of the 32nd century ships, IMO.

Well, it does look like it's wearing suspenders or that someone likes bondage, but it's better than than the new gynaecological implement.
  • o0galathor0oo0galathor0o Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    The ship freak show gets freakier and freakier.
    ~ Don't blame the clown for being a clown, blame yourself for going to the circus ~
  • xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    Still not a T6 Tempest, still not interested.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    All they have to do is make a variant skin that looks like it fits in Trek. Some struts for the nacelles, an obvious deflector, and it might be palatable.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Sigh. Yet another ship from a completely different time. They're not even TRYING to maintain any kind of continuity in the setting anymore.

Uh, you lost that fight years ago. There was all kinds of temporal junk even before the series went whole-hog into it.

Plus, of course, all the alien ships that Fed crews really "shouldn't" be flying (let alone the ones built for odd atmospheres & crew shapes/abilities).
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    [well at least if they hadn't saddled us with a mutineer as lead character.
    Spock was a lead character in TOS and committed mutiny 15 episodes in.
    That wasn't his introduction though. It is extremely poor writing to make the main protagonist completely unlikable in their introduction. I enjoy the show and I think the actress is great, but I'll never be able to like the character at all due to what she did in the pilot, she should've never been allowed out of prison for any reason after that and realistically she wouldn't have been.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    That wasn't his introduction though. It is extremely poor writing to make the main protagonist completely unlikable in their introduction. I enjoy the show and I think the actress is great, but I'll never be able to like the character at all due to what she did in the pilot, she should've never been allowed out of prison for any reason after that and realistically she wouldn't have been.

Except, that is how Trek fares. Remember DS9? You can stab someone, yea murder then, and Odo locks you up for what, 2 weeks? Prison time in Trek has simply always been a joke. With the small exception of Section 31 prisoners maybe; but they're not there to do time per se, but are held primarily for interrogation.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    The other one looked like a toilet.

This one looks like a jockstrap. :D:D:D

Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Prison time in Trek has simply always been a joke.

Prison time was whatever the script called for. It usually had to be resolved by the end of the episode, so who actually cares.
    It is extremely poor writing to make the main protagonist completely unlikable in their introduction. I enjoy the show and I think the actress is great, but I'll never be able to like the character at all due to what she did in the pilot,

What Burnham did or did not do in the pilot was completely meaningless besides the (popular) character-drama.
    It's bad writing, but not worse than any other show. Most popular modern shows have that kind of stuff, so executives wanted that for DIS too. It's that simple.

Back on topic:

I will try getting that off the exchange, it reminds me of terran cruisers and corvettes from Haegemonia.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    > @bubblegirl2015 said:
    > The other one looked like a toilet.
    >
    > This one looks like a jockstrap. :D :D :D

Yeah, seriously makes me wonder what goes thru these people's heads, and where they go for their inspiration...

"You know engineers, they love to change things..." - Dr. McCoy (ST:TMP)
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    > @bubblegirl2015 said:
    >
    > This one looks like a jockstrap. :D:D:D

Yeah, seriously makes me wonder what goes thru these people's heads, and where they go for their inspiration...

I think a lack of change is the real problem. It doesn't matter whether it's a film production using practical effects or someone at home engaged in a DIY build found objects are a popular basis for sci fi models. The aesthetic of the IP works against this practice. Most Trek ships sport clean lines and surfaces. Other IPs often break up models with "greebles" (bits and bobs from model kits thrown together to look futuristic). "Early" era Trek ships played with this a bit to make them have more dynamic surfaces but later eras kept to the largely smooth finishes. One of the work arounds was introducing aztecing decals that marked the surfaces and made them play more under the eye.

If you don't go far enough away from the source by employing some manner disrupting effect the viewer will see a pie plate, a plunger, whatever else got the starship, or sci fi object going.

battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

crm14916 wrote: »
    > @bubblegirl2015 said:
    >
    > This one looks like a jockstrap. :D:D:D

“Come, come, Mr. Scott. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant.“ Admiral Kirk, Search for Spock.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

Except, that is how Trek fares. Remember DS9? You can stab someone, yea murder then, and Odo locks you up for what, 2 weeks? Prison time in Trek has simply always been a joke. With the small exception of Section 31 prisoners maybe; but they're not there to do time per se, but are held primarily for interrogation.

be happy it is not profit run like prisons today.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

Well, there was the Female Changeling in the great, although now buried episode. She was only released from a proper prison when it was necessary, not that she got parole or anything.

I'm guessing the designer behind it has a fetish for locker rooms...but why are the people greenlighting the designs not seeing what we do?

I'm remembering that episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJparpU4HCo
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »

I'm guessing the designer behind it has a fetish for locker rooms...but why are the people greenlighting the designs not seeing what we do?

I'm remembering that episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJparpU4HCo
    I'm... not certain that it's the designer who has the fetish. The Courage more closely resembles a cuttlefish ramming a squid than it does a toilet, while the Mars... well, it doesn't look like anything, except possibly a collection of spare parts flying in formation. But "jockstrap"? Really??? I question some folks' knowledge of human anatomy.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.