test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Mars" class coming soon (infinity luckbox)

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Oh look, more ugly ships I can safely ignore. Thanks Cryptic for making every ship to ever go into gamble boxes be ones I will never want.

I too am very happy this is the new luckbox ship :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    At least I don't have 'fear of missing out' for all this time I am not playing. The only thing I am missing is gambling for stuff I would never want anyway.

As usual, the ship art team has done a stellar job, but that design they were given to work with is terrible.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Wow, another one that looks like random junk that happens to be floating in the same direction.
  • relicthiefrelicthief Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    This is what happens when you have graphics designers make ships instead of engineers.
    Ancient Alien.
  • maniac20#5251 maniac20 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    relicthief wrote: »
    This is what happens when you have graphics designers make ships instead of engineers.
    lol more like CBS designing ships since it is from disco S3 like the Janeway and Courage.

• ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    I'll treat this release like covid and social distance myself in a galaxy far far away from it.
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
    For what it's worth, I think the original designs Cryptic came up with for the future-era ships in the AOY expansion look a million times better than most of the ships we've seen from DSC season 3. The only ones from DSCs3 that look even remotely good (to me, purely subjective) are the ones that are clearly based on the the classis ships like the Connie and Intrepid. But back to my original point, I like Cryptic's future-era designs a lot better :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    The 32nd century ships are barely even recognizable as Starfleet. Seriously, the Courage class looks like something the bloody Sphere Builders would come up with.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
    The 32nd century ships are barely even recognizable as Starfleet. Seriously, the Courage class looks like something the bloody Sphere Builders would come up with.

Or the Mon Calamari from long, long ago in a galaxy far away...
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 253 Arc User

Or the Mon Calamari from long, long ago in a galaxy far away...

Mon Cal ships are better looking.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    Urgh, it looks like a speculum.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    STO and Star Trek really need to start looking to the past for their starships, because these "designs" are becoming more atrocious with each passing update.

And I am beginning to think that whoever's designing them and also signing off on them, have some very bizarre fetishes.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Now, for the real question: what direction does it fly? From the pointy, floaty thingies on the side, it may as well fly sideways. :p
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited August 2021
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Now, for the real question: what direction does it fly? From the pointy, floaty thingies on the side, it may as well fly sideways. :p

From the exhaust trails I would assume that it travels with the long narrower end forward, not that it makes it look much better than if it went the reverse of that (some things just don't look good no matter which way you look at it and that design is unfortunately one of them, though it is an improvement over the last DSC S3 monstrosity that came out in the game).
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    I have to also say that this ship being luck of the draw bothers me not one little bit. I have not liked a single one of the 32c. ships and they all have horrible designs. Those who want these items are welcome to them!
  • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    I like some of these 32nd century designs. I just feel like the whole concept with "detached hulls" and programable matter" is very interesting. If no one else likes these ships, I'll take them.
    > @ricosakara said:
    >If no one else likes these ships, I'll take them.

Well they are in luckboxes, so good luck!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    kayajay wrote: »
    STO and Star Trek really need to start looking to the past for their starships, because these "designs" are becoming more atrocious with each passing update.

"But, but, but... Futuristic!™"

Ugh. :/

edit: but yeah, it's not Cryptic's fault. They're stuck with whatever drek CBS shoves into the shows.
    kiralyn wrote: »

edit: but yeah, it's not Cryptic's fault. They're stuck with whatever drek CBS shoves into the shows.

And Cryptic's ship guys actually do a great job recreating those ships. They can't be blamed for the designs, but that still doesn't make them look any better :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Updated the OP with a link to the blog.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Discovery has taken the lead in all Trek series for "ship designs that I don't want to fly."

The Fed bridge design was cool, but the Klingon ships and future ships are not my cup of tea at all.

This is good news for any fans of them though, I'm happy for them getting ships they want and supporting the game with their gamble box purchases.

The only tiny regret I have is the livestream thread shows the STO team did a great job on implementing the ship with new firing animations, experimental weapon, etc. -- I'd like to see that on a ship design that I actually like.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Well, they claimed they want to try and do it on some future classes...we'll see if that actually happens.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > The only ones from DSCs3 that look even remotely good (to me, purely subjective) are the ones that are clearly based on the the classis ships like the Connie and Intrepid.

Have we seen a 32nd century cruiser of Connie lineage? Because I would save up for that...
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
    edited August 2021
    djf021 wrote: »
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > The only ones from DSCs3 that look even remotely good (to me, purely subjective) are the ones that are clearly based on the the classis ships like the Connie and Intrepid.

Have we seen a 32nd century cruiser of Connie lineage? Because I would save up for that...

It was not seen clearly on screen but this is from a book Eaglemoss made after they got the rights to make the model from CBS:

8so033S.jpg

I'm not saying I love it, and probably wouldn't even buy it when it's added to the game. I'm just saying it and the Intrepid are the best looking of the 32nd century ships, IMO.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Kind of interesting bubble mechanics though the ship itself is still a total dud aesthetically, which also begs the question: is STO going to give out digital penicillin shots for those space crabs?
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    kiralyn wrote: »

Pretty much that. These designs are not at all on Cryptic and the Trek license does come with some baggage that being the case. It's just that we are in an era where the folks in creative control of the television broadcasts do not at all seem to like anything about the older Trek shows, lore, universe or really anything recognizable that can be identified with Star Trek? They prefer to chart their own course, which would be fine, well at least if they hadn't saddled us with a mutineer as lead character. Burnham can go suck one!
This discussion has been closed.