test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ground patrols

sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
maybe asked already; but can we have ground patrols doable with our boffs?
For me, ground stuff with my boffs is the only part of this game where I still have a little bit of fun. TFO's are boring after being done thousand of times (most of them are dead anyway), and the space patrols are just more pew pew.
Less pew pew and more interesting things to do.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    Ground patrols? I’m here for them. Only problem I see is that most of the enemies I would want we’re either in a Alliance with or at least on friendly terms.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    Cryptic has talked about ground patrols before. The big problem is that most people don't like ground content.
    What are your feelings on ground content?
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Cryptic has talked about ground patrols before. The big problem is that most people don't like ground content.

I can understand, because most of the current missions are just waves after waves of ennemies and don't have a real interest, but cryptic can change that.
    the mission in defera (cold war episode) where we have to solve the preserver puzzle (obelisk) is interesting, for example.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

I can understand, because most of the current missions are just waves after waves of ennemies and don't have a real interest, but cryptic can change that.
    the mission in defera (cold war episode) where we have to solve the preserver puzzle (obelisk) is interesting, for example.

Also, the First Contact Day's ground patrol that they introduced in 2020 and repeated this year seemed to be well received.
    That might be because it has a sound story and beautiful voice-acting from Jeri Ryan, but also because it was well done.
    I'm not fond of ground combat, either, because most of the times is clanky. That patrol is not.
    More content of that quality would be welcome, I'm sure of it. Especially if they finally revamp some of the ground mechanics that are in dire need of a touch up - like melee combat, for example.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I would love ground patrols, I enjoy Ground Combat.. sometimes I like it more then space.

Plus, ground patrols would give us ways to finish Ground Endeavors.. bring em on.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I would also like to see ground patrols, and I think an easy way to start would be creating "wrapper missions"(the pop up dialogue at the beginning and end of each mission and the attached rewards) that simply use existing ground missions.

As an example of what I mean, they could add a "ground" section to the patrols window and have assignments to complete all of the following:

*every individual mission on New Romulus
    *every individual mission on Nimbus
    *every individual mission on Kobali Prime
    *every individual mission on Nukara
    *every individual mission in the Dyson Sphere battle zone
    *every individual mission in the Defera invasion zone

Each one of those individual missions could be it's own "ground patrol" mission with it's own specific rewards given at the end just like every space patrol.

And because all of that stuff already exists they only thing they would actually to create is the "wrapper missions" and new section in the patrol interface. Also, it would be nice for the game to automatically transport you to that location when you accept the mission, like it does for the space patrols.

To be clear: I'm not necessarily saying I like/want to play all of those missions, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like the option and for them to be potential ground patrols.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    They did say that we'd get ground patrols.

But so far we only have the First contact one, which isn't available most of the time.

Maybe they could also make missions like Starbase incursion available to single players as a patrol mission. At least then we could play that again without having to wait forever to get a team.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    edited August 2021

Its funny that you mention this because this was one of the most complained about bits of ground content back in the day.

The Defera Preserver puzzle in the Cold War arc, the Spectres energy relay and nerve tonic puzzles, the space walk in "Boldly they Rode", "Of Bajor" in general. Any time Cryptic did any sort of non standard ground mission design people RAGED. These bits were infamous as "arc killers", that made most people avoid replaying these story arcs like the plague.

well, it is sad, because this game becomes more and more just a shooter than a star trek game. And there are already a lot of space shooter games.
    I like all the missions that you listed, but I hate "kurland here" :p
    In my opinion, a star trek game should have a huge part of its content dedicated to ground like what we can see in the tv shows. the space content is so boring; like I said in an other thread if you click on random you have 90% chance of getting a borg tfo, after a moment I just can't do them, i'm disgusted. this is why a ground content could be interesting, but with less fights and more use of our brains.
    I don't ask for Myst like contents (I was a huge fan of these games), just some more interesting things than pew pew and kill everything.

Post edited by sennahcherib on
    along with this it would be nice if they added more places similar to nimbus for just an all out go shoot stuff with boffs.

i like to visit nimbus as many others do to just blast away or let my boffs do it while i sit and evaluate their skills and actions, but trying to get accos at times with every other T, D, and H gets old.

+1 for GPs...

I like also to visit Nimbus, I also like to watch my boffs doing the stuff for me, and i must say that it is really funny. the devs have programmed some interesting behaviours for the boffs, not enough saluted.
  • diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I would like more ground content and ground patrols.

I regularly go to Nukara and Dyson do some ground action. I also like a lot of ground TFO’s. Miner Instabilities is one of my favorite TFO’s in the game.

Its funny that you mention this because this was one of the most complained about bits of ground content back in the day.

Tastes really do vary. The missions with the preserver puzzle along with the rest of the Breen Invasion (Cold War) story arc remain some of my personal all time favorites in the game.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    I like the anniversary ground mission, I think the Delta mission where you have to get the base's shield back up would be a good one. and quark's lucky 7 would be an awesome one, even if you were not the ferengi
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I'd like to have at least a few ground patrols. They'd let us:

- test new gear and builds that includes our boffs, unlike a ground TFO.
    - work on ground damage and healing endeavors more quickly than TFOs allow.
    - jump right into ground combat without a bunch of map changes, story dialog, space bits like we must do for most story episodes.
    - skip all the map changes needed to get to the Ground Adventure Zones and Nimbus.
    protoneous wrote: »
    Tastes really do vary. The missions with the preserver puzzle along with the rest of the Breen Invasion (Cold War) story arc remain some of my personal all time favorites in the game.
    I don't mind the puzzle, but the Breen arc in general is, IMO, the worst arc in the game design wise. Its very symptomatic of launch era STO level/enemy design, and is prbably the only arc in the game I think needs a total rebuild from the ground up. The other Featured Series arcs like Spectres, 2800, and Cloaked Intentions, could use some updates, but the Cold War arc needs a total razing.

The story of the arc is fine, if simple, but all the gameplay of it is miserable.

Fair enough... the Breen Invasion might be the worst arc in the game design wise, needs a total razing, and the gameplay is miserable (all in your opinion). However, it remains one of my all time favorites. I hope they leave it alone.

Thank you for using IMO in your response as there's no doubt about it... tastes really do vary :+1::smile:
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    The Breen arc is still one of my faves too. I would still rather replay it (and have recently) than I would some of the newer arcs with countless enemy waves while a hidden timer counts down. To me the first Breen mission (Cold Call) is one of the most "Trek" feeling missions in the game and has almost the perfect amount of ground and space combat.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    The Breen arc is still one of my faves too. I would still rather replay it (and have recently) than I would some of the newer arcs with countless enemy waves while a hidden timer counts down. The first Breen mission (Cold Call) is one of the most "Trek" feeling missions in the game and has almost the perfect amount of ground and space combat.

Yes, the "endless waves on hidden timer" mechanic is OK for a patrol where you are playing for ship mastery XP, and it's OK (I guess) for some TFOs, but I'm not fond of it in story episodes. I'd rather have a high but limited number of enemies where if you play well enough you can finish early.
    well, it is sad, because this game becomes more and more just a shooter than a star trek game. And there are already a lot of space shooter games.
    I like all the missions that you listed, but I hate "kurland here" :p
    In my opinion, a star trek game should have a huge part of its content dedicated to ground like what we can see in the tv shows. the space content is so boring; like I said in an other thread if you click on random you have 90% chance of getting a borg tfo, after a moment I just can't do them, i'm disgusted. this is why a ground content could be interesting, but with less fights and more use of our brains.
    I don't ask for Myst like contents (I was a huge fan of these games), just some more interesting things than pew pew and kill everything.
    I think this touches on a fundamental issue with the Star Trek franchise, and video games.

Star Trek, as a TV/movie franchise, is fundamentally a passive experience. TV shows and movies don't require user input to progress, they just do, regardless of if you are watching or not. On top of that, the actual substance of most Star Trek episodes is passive activities. Mainly, the crew standing around and talking about the situation, and pressing buttons on computer to do things to solve issue. While there was actual combat scenes, those tended to be the minority of Trek's content.

Video games on the other hand are fundamentally an active medium. People playing games expect active participation in them to progress them. Puzzles like those mentioned border far closer on a passive activities then an active ones, since you aren't really doing much beyond walking around and pressing F to continue. Which makes it more like a movie that pauses every 5 minutes then actual gameplay. This is why things like the opening of "Echos of Light", where you are going around and scanning things, are fun the first time, but are widely considered a drag any subsequent times.

The combat focused nature of STO is inherent to needing active activities be the main aspect of a video game, a medium that is inherently active based.

what about the doff missions and the admiralty, aren't they passive activities?
    a puzzle can be random, to avoid the boredom, but it was just an example, i don't want puzzles in a patrol, just something a little bit similar, to open a door or something like that nothing more.
    The Breen arc is still one of my faves too. I would still rather replay it (and have recently) than I would some of the newer arcs with countless enemy waves while a hidden timer counts down. To me the first Breen mission (Cold Call) is one of the most "Trek" feeling missions in the game and has almost the perfect amount of ground and space combat.

I agree. A lot of things removed from the game or put aside were very good, even some missions were funny like the one with the tribble and the klingons (forgotten its name).
    And the game was more challenging in 2013 when i started to play at sto. the exploration content was very difficult, I feared to fight the klinks, now all the ennemies are just punching balls, the power creep is so huge that the game has lost a little bit of its flavor.

Short patrols, challenging and with some random stuff to do ("puzzles or something else") could be very interesting.
    why "puzzles" should be a primary thing, the primary thing would be the mission, a puzzle only a part of this mission.
    why, not for example a real mission to grab the famous contrabands so loved by the dil farmers? and the puzzles could be to find the good lock combination to open crates.
    We actively AREN'T playing those missions we send DOFF/ships

you are just playing on words. :|
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    why "puzzles" should be a primary thing, the primary thing would be the mission, a puzzle only a part of this mission.
    why, not for example a real mission to grab the famous contrabands so loved by the dil farmers? and the puzzles could be to find the good lock combination to open crates.
    We actively AREN'T playing those missions we send DOFF/ships

you are just playing on words. :|

Actually, he is not playing on words. When we send our DOFFS and/or ships on DOFF assignments or Admirality assignments, they are doing the work not us and we get a report back. We might be "actively" sending them to such and such place but all we really are doing is getting and/or enjoying the fruit of their labor once they complete their missions. These missions are like those in SWTOR which you can send your companions on if you so choose for resources, items, and other things except in STO it is resources, items, energy credits, dilithium, etc.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited August 2021

To me the most Trek feeling mission arc is Spectres, it has a definite second season TOS feel to it (though of course it is set in the gap between the series and TMP date wise). The puzzles in the arc actually add to it rather than detract from it like some of the others since they actually fit the situation instead of sticking out like a random mini phone game in the middle of an MMORPG that has little or nothing to do with the plot.

Ground combat is very clunky compared to space, which is probably why it is not popular. I hoped that nanopulse disruptor staff and J'Ula's mekleths signaled an end to that bad melee system and that they would put the lunges into all the new melee weapons (and retrofit it into older weapons) but Aakar's set is practically useless because it lacks those (which is a shame since the armor and shield are good, and the weapons are some of the best looking).

Ranged ground is a little better but still a bit clunky and stiff.

Still, I would like to see a few ground patrols too, if they are interesting and not just bare king-of-the-hill things against a timer.
This discussion has been closed.