test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

esc button and cutscenes

shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
Don't know if this is happening to anyone else but the esc button does not seem to work to get past the cutscenes in missions anymore. Is there an alternative solution or we're stuck with it for now?
"There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    No, there is not, the skip feature is disabled for the time being, as it made some missions fail when used (things didn't spawn and stuff like that)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    No, there is not, the skip feature is disabled for the time being, as it made some missions fail when used (things didn't spawn and stuff like that)

Hey thanks for letting me know . I kind of figured this had something to do with performance issues. It's also tfo's that has this feature removed for the time being. Again thanks for the confirmation on this.

"There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Well that's a little annoying.
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    From what i understand of one of the streams, is that some computers are fast, so can load things right, but others not, so it takes some time, and that's where things get broken.. so, it is annoying, but it's the only way to fix it for now
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Hmmm...I always skip the cutscenes at the end of With Our Last Breath on Kobali - I did so this morning. You jump from Harry walking toward you to the General in the city to get the mission reward.

It doesn't seem like it's ALL cutscenes.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Just noticed a new HUD for skip cutscene by holding down Esc. Not sure if it works everywhere yet.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Remember, not all cutscenes were skipable to begin with.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    Just noticed a new HUD for skip cutscene by holding down Esc. Not sure if it works everywhere yet.

I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. Thank you for posting that and yes it does indeed work, moreover it also indicates which scenes you can skip or not! Not a bad feature !
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Remember, not all cutscenes were skipable to begin with.

Yes. And there are *LOTS* which really need to be skippable, being overly long and relaying absolutely no relevant or even useful information to the player. The 'intro' to New Romulus comes to mind, for example.

When I have a new character that hits the New Romulus one I just start it up and go afk for a few minutes. It is annoying after the first time or two, not to mention the twentieth or so.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Yeah, I found the new feature today too... Hold down the ESC button and it does a cycle in the top right corner... I don't mind that so much... They need to add it to every cut scene though...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    Ah so they did add this at last. I think I remember seeing it was introduced several weeks/a month or two ago but couldn't see it.

I guess they realized they didn't put it in the live server and finally caught up.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    You have to keep the button pushed down.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    To be fair, I don't see the added value of this change.

It's not like I have often skipped a cutscene by accident. With my left-hand fingers on the W, A, S and D and space bar keys and my right hand on the mouse or near the number pad at the right side of the keyboard, it just doesn't happen.

When my fingers move to the Escape key, I want to hit it. I doubt many players can hit it by accident. So the effect of hitting that key might as well apply immediately.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I noticed today that Neverwinter has the same ESC mechanic... Dunno which came first, but this might be something that is happening across more than one game...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    To be fair, I don't see the added value of this change.

It's not like I have often skipped a cutscene by accident. With my left-hand fingers on the W, A, S and D and space bar keys and my right hand on the mouse or near the number pad at the right side of the keyboard, it just doesn't happen.

When my fingers move to the Escape key, I want to hit it. I doubt many players can hit it by accident. So the effect of hitting that key might as well apply immediately.

I can think of at least one mission where rapidly escaping a cutscene caused an unintended side-effect: Partisans, at the end of the 2nd half of the ground portion. If you break out quickly enough, none of the respawning klingon ground troops will activate to defend the pew-pew targ or its stealth-bomber klingon master (whose name escapes me). And I freely admit I took full advantage of that -- once the mission stopped breaking *entirely* from doing that.

Ok, but that sounds like a bug that should have been fixed.

The other thing is the inconsistency in hold times at the start of STOs. 30 seconds is enough. Some are, for others it is a minute or more. Give us our time back.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited July 2021
    I noticed the same hold ESC Key today in Neverwinter as well.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.