test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Summer/Winter Events

therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
I’ve been playing STO for a minute. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m up for some new events to be added to the Summer and Winter Events. I’d personally like a Risa ground mission or two. As far as the Winter Event, outside of the ones where you’re shooting the Show Borg/Snow-conian/Kramp’Ihri/Klingon Ice Fishing, I don’t find anything else worthwhile or enjoyable. Maybe add in a “let’s introduce (fill in the blank species) to the joy of the holidays” hunt for presents? Just throwing out some ideas to keep it fresh.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Ushaan Duels, for Q's winter wonderland, it's part of Andorian culture, it's a one on one type of battle involving Andorian Ice Miner Tools, think Forcas III tournament but with Andorians instead of Klingons.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    I agree there needs to be some kind of innovation soon(ish). The game is/has been very developmentally stagnant(/mismanaged). Despite how much I like the space combat in the game, I don't think I've been so overall apathetic towards STO since the long lulls around the fleet system being introduced(which is the only time I didn't bother to even keep the game updated).

I know Al was excited about being given permission to do.. something.. recently. I only hope it's something like a big new Halloween event and not another trainwreck storyline revolving around another mary sue 'redemption' arc.
    szerontzur wrote: »
    I agree there needs to be some kind of innovation soon(ish). The game is/has been very developmentally stagnant(/mismanaged). Despite how much I like the space combat in the game, I don't think I've been so overall apathetic towards STO since the long lulls around the fleet system being introduced(which is the only time I didn't bother to even keep the game updated).

I know Al was excited about being given permission to do.. something.. recently. I only hope it's something like a big new Halloween event and not another trainwreck storyline revolving around another mary sue 'redemption' arc.

Sela's redemption arc was really well done, J'Ula's redemption arc on the other hand was way too short, her personality did a complete 180 the moment we finally captured her, between the 2, I can see Sela becoming a permanent ally in the future because she actually regretted her actions.
  • therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    > @paradox#7391 said:
    > Ushaan Duels, for Q's winter wonderland, it's part of Andorian culture, it's a one on one type of battle involving Andorian Ice Miner Tools, think Forcas III tournament but with Andorians instead of Klingons.

I’m not a PvP’er but if it was implemented right I’d to this in the Winter Event! Even if we had plastic Nerf clubs it’d be a welcome change of pace.
    > @paradox#7391 said:
    > Ushaan Duels, for Q's winter wonderland, it's part of Andorian culture, it's a one on one type of battle involving Andorian Ice Miner Tools, think Forcas III tournament but with Andorians instead of Klingons.

I’m not a PvP’er but if it was implemented right I’d to this in the Winter Event! Even if we had plastic Nerf clubs it’d be a welcome change of pace.

I'm not one either, but I was thinking it'll be a PvE type of thing.
    > @paradox#7391 said:
    > I'm not one either, but I was thinking it'll be a PvE type of thing.

Best 2 out of 3 wins? Proceed up the list til you face the Master? I’m here for it!
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2021
    I’ve been playing STO for a minute. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m up for some new events to be added to the Summer and Winter Events. I’d personally like a Risa ground mission or two. As far as the Winter Event, outside of the ones where you’re shooting the Show Borg/Snow-conian/Kramp’Ihri/Klingon Ice Fishing, I don’t find anything else worthwhile or enjoyable. Maybe add in a “let’s introduce (fill in the blank species) to the joy of the holidays” hunt for presents? Just throwing out some ideas to keep it fresh.

I've honestly LONG wished they'd expand the size of the Ice Rink a bit, or use the track where the Winter Ice run used to be done. I mean we have Ice Skates, and it be fun to race competitors on those. Perhaps some locations give speed boosts & maybe Geo-thermal activity causes ice to melts slowing you down; or have to jump over random obstacles or hit ramps to avoid others.

While you'd have traction with Ice Skates (wouldn't slip) yet you also have a few sharp turns and if you hit a speed boost at wrong point. You'd fly off the course and be disqualified similar to powerboards on Risa.

I'd love to see a Speed Skating Outfit or a Cross Country Skiers outfit too...

They could also have spots that disable your skates for 2-3s, forcing you to slip and slide... ...I'd even welcome something like that on Andoria for Anniversary!
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
    It amazes me that we as players can come together, having never met, yet can be able to formulate basic working ideas for contents hat we would like to see yet get routinely ignored by those that are asking us to continuously pump our money to keep them paid. If the devs actually took the time to read playe> @strathkin said:
    > I've honestly LONG wished they'd expand the size of the Ice Rink a bit, or use the track where the Winter Ice run used to be done. I mean we have Ice Skates, and it be fun to race competitors on those, with some locations give speed boosts. While you'd have traction with Ice Skates (wouldn't slip) yet you also have a few sharp turns and if you hit a speed boost at wrong point. You'd fly off the course and be disqualified similar to powerboards on Risa.
    >
    > I'd love to see a Speed Skating Outfit or a Cross Country Skiers outfit too...

I’ve given up on any events like those because of those issues. The games outside of event progress have all kinds of issues that seemingly never get addressed. A bigger ice track would be great. Better rewards would be awesome as well. From the Summer event I have a bunch of favors I have no plan on spending because none of the kits appeal to me since I’m not playing any of the current content because it’s a waste in my opinion. Right now I’m just grinding out events til I can get my Vengeance then I’ll evaluate whether to continue with STO’s rank in my MMO cadre.
    edited July 2021
    I revised my above statement with a bit of additional detail.

Still at least the Risa KIT is the ONLY one in the game you can re-engineer, unlike all others so it's desired by many to boost KPerf. I think only one MOD on it, isn't able to be engineered based on your preferences...
    0zxlclk.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    I agree. We need something new.

Not on the existing maps though. I actually liked those when they were more untouched. Now they're too busy with stuff going on all the time.

I really hope they'll do something with Andoria one day. If some stuff were added to that map, it would actually be an improvement. Doesn't have to be big - Ushaan events for example would be fun indeed.

And why not develop some other planet maps that we currently can't visit yet. I know Risa is supposed to be the vacation planet, but I'm sure some Starfleet officers and Federation citizens wouldn't mind spending their vacation on Bolarus, Ferenginar, Cait or Betazed. Or Denobula. Or the planet where Phlox would have gone on vacation when he was young.
    Or, if necessary, Bajor or Vulcan, or the plant-rich planet where we first encounter the Tzenkethi if they'd want to pick a planet for which the foundations of a map already exist.

There are many locations that could use some attention. Devs have stated the wish to improve them, if there was a reason to do it. Well, keeping annual events - which would ensure heavy use of the map - interesting isn't too bad a reason, is it?
    Post edited by fleetcaptain5#1134 on
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    > @fleetcaptain5#1134 said:
    > I agree. We need something new.
    >
    > Not on the existing maps though. I actually liked those when they were more untouched. Now they're too busy with stuff going on all the time.
    >
    > I really hope they'll do something with Andoria one day. If some stuff were added to that map, it would actually be an improvement. Doesn't have to be big - Ushaan events for example would be fun indeed.
    >
    > And why not develop some other planet maps that we currently can't visit yet. I know Risa is supposed to be the vacation planet, but I'm sure some Starfleet officers and Federation citizens wouldn't mind spending their vacation on Bolarus, Ferenginar, Cait or Betazed. Or Denobula. Or the planet where Phlox would have gone on vacation when he was young.
    > Or, if necessary, Bajor or Vulcan, or the plant-rich planet where we first encounter the Tzenkethi if they'd want to pick a planet for which the foundations of a map already exist.
    >
    > There are many locations that could use some attention. Devs have stated the wish to improve them, if there was a reason to do it. Well, keeping annual events - which would ensure have use of the map - interesting isn't too bad a reason, is it?

Exactly! Take existing maps and repurpose them for special events/purposes. The Lukari one where we have our colony at is perfect as a “Risa 2”, for example. And Andoria is perfect as a Winter wonderland. And yeah, even if they don’t want to spend the time/resources on creating new map, they have ones already made that can be repurposed.
    I agree. We need something new.

Not on the existing maps though. I actually liked those when they were more untouched. Now they're too busy with stuff going on all the time.

I really hope they'll do something with Andoria one day. If some stuff were added to that map, it would actually be an improvement. Doesn't have to be big - Ushaan events for example would be fun indeed.

And why not develop some other planet maps that we currently can't visit yet. I know Risa is supposed to be the vacation planet, but I'm sure some Starfleet officers and Federation citizens wouldn't mind spending their vacation on Bolarus, Ferenginar, Cait or Betazed. Or Denobula. Or the planet where Phlox would have gone on vacation when he was young.
    Or, if necessary, Bajor or Vulcan, or the plant-rich planet where we first encounter the Tzenkethi if they'd want to pick a planet for which the foundations of a map already exist.

There are many locations that could use some attention. Devs have stated the wish to improve them, if there was a reason to do it. Well, keeping annual events - which would ensure heavy use of the map - interesting isn't too bad a reason, is it?

I still visit planet Vulcan to this day, it's the homeworld of Star Trek's best species.
    edited August 2021
    I also thought rather than change Winter, maybe add a Ice Racing course on Andoria!

They already like competitive ventures be it fighting, so why not competitive racing as well in their park. Ice Rink might be good for Anniversary given that Andoria is a founding member of the Federation; though perhaps you could race on the Ice Rink all year round without the competitive part. Something for Vulcan might be nice too for the same reason.

Given their is only one mission on Vulcan, I'd always wanted to see the map improved a and show a bit more modernization!

Also Spock (originally was the first voice actor to play his role) for Star Trek Online.

Maybe where they include a Vulcan Science Academy in a new mission, perhaps on some scientific endeavor & or phenomenon. Maybe we visit the Vulcan Science Academy after a renovation (which see's it added to the Vulcan map) perhaps we go back in time after a newly renovated Vulcan Science Center opens up. Maybe then Ethan Peck voices Spock (his younger self) as you go back in time to watch Spock cut the ribbon on behalf of the Federation?

Are they exploring or still trying to investigate and understand Dark Matter, Dark Energy (which may later chart his course) into the Kelvin universe? ​I know the Discovery Rep has a Dark Matter Torpedo, yet maybe it's something about Dark Energy, or Dark Matter that later leads the Vulcan Science Academy to investigate Red Matter. It be even be nice to even go there in future mission in the 2410+ timeline to explore perhaps a new Scientific Phenomenon &/or with someone from Daystom Institute perhaps, perhaps inspired by Picard Season 2. ;)

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Daystrom_Institute

Just a thought, I mean I'm sure they could make or think of a few ways to make missions Interesting at the Vulcan Science Academy maybe or even the Federations own Institute to investigate robotics. Given the Drones we saw introduced in Discovery Season 2 as well, as they were likely building on those principles of the Daystrom Institute...
    0zxlclk.png
    edited August 2021
    strathkin wrote: »
    I also thought rather than change Winter, maybe add a Ice Racing course on Andoria!

They already like competitive ventures be it fighting, so why not competitive racing as well in their park. Ice Rink might be good for Anniversary given that Andoria is a founding member of the Federation; and something for Vulcan might be nice too for the same reason.

Given their is only one mission on Vulcan, I'd always wanted to see it map improved a and show a bit more modernization!

Also Spock (originally was the first voice actor to play his role) for Star Trek Online.

Maybe where they include a Vulcan Science Academy in a new mission, perhaps on some scientific endeavor & or phenomenon. Maybe we visit the Vulcan Science Academy after a renovation (which see's it added to the Vulcan map) perhaps we go back in time after a newly renovated Vulcan Science Center opens up. Maybe then Ethan Peck voices Spock (his younger self) as you go back in time to watch Spock cut the ribbon on behalf of the Federation?

Are they exploring or still trying to investigate and understand Dark Matter, Dark Energy (which may later chart his course) into the Kelvin universe? ​I know the Discovery Rep has a Dark Matter Torpedo, yet maybe it's something about Dark Energy, or Dark Matter that later leads the Vulcan Science Academy to investigate Red Matter. It be even be nice to even go there in future mission in the 2410+ timeline to explore perhaps a new Scientific Phenomenon &/or with someone from Daystom Institute perhaps, perhaps inspired by Picard Season 2. ;)

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Daystrom_Institute

Just a thought, I mean I'm sure they could make or think of a few ways to make missions Interesting at the Vulcan Science Academy maybe or even the Federations own Institute to investigate robotics. Given the Drones we saw introduced in Discovery Season 2 as well, as they were likely building on those principles of the Daystrom Institute...

Those sound pretty cool plus I've been suggesting a Pon Farr valentine day event that takes place on planet Vulcan for a while now, however it might not be very popular with most of the playerbase since there won't be any space combat, it's going to be ground based and very dialogue heavy with Vulcan PCs getting unique dialogue, there's also a ground combat portion involving Lirpas and duels to the death, how often do you get to take part in a Vulcan culture, sure Vulcans may get aggressively horny every 7 years, but not every Vulcan goes through it at the same time so you can have the event every year if you wanted to.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    basing on the sand castle building from Risa, a snow fort or snow man building event.
    a snowball fight where you have to use the "B" shooter mode.
    If they can do the animations, maybe some sort of downhill hoverboard thing doing flips and stuff.

Maybe have a way of aiming and controlling speed so you have to land in a random circle.
    Soval can show up and look for temporal artifacts in the wonderland.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    This is Andre Emerson STO, we don't add new content unless it's a event we can reuse multiple times every year or the occasional episode a few times a year
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    This is Andre Emerson STO, we don't add new content unless it's a event we can reuse multiple times every year or the occasional episode a few times a year
    Sad, but somewhat true.

I mean, don't get me wrong - I've said in the past that I feel that particular Risa summer event items could be adapted into Winter event items. For example:
    Powerboards -> Snowboards
    The various winter weapons -> Supersoakers/water pistols/waterbomb launchers

Realistically though, I very much doubt anything will be added to these events beyond the main reward, cosmetic items and ground-kit related items. The Devs don't seem to have the manpower, time, resources or incentive to work on that sort of content.

I share your feeling, these events will stay at their current state for a long, long time.
    btw, nice ideas :)
    edited August 2021
    My earlier thought was just a bit different, longer Ice Racing Track meant for Ice Skates on Andoria, but not during Winter for Anniversary as it's still cold (Winter Time) then. If you didn't have them you trade for them with Omega's as well. It could have spots that accelerate you, or slow you down hitting a geothermal ice melts, or having jumps or obstacles to maneuver along with being careful in a few tight turns. While we don't have a Winter Speed Skating Race at all for Winter, it be great to see it maybe added as an option for Anniversary. Perhaps also something on Vulcan to collect or earn Omega's.

Be nice if they also made a Speed Skating / Cross Country Ski ski outfit which are very similar. If you have skies or skates on really just depends where you are, on the show or Ice Track. Outfits for Anniversary could also be traded for with Omega's of the 3 colors. Then you could also choose to wear it also during the Winter event while on the smaller frozen pond, while they have a Ice track I don't think Ice Skates work there. Still just an idea, just be nice if they implemented a few more idea's inspired by the forums from time to time...

Anyways, like you said many suspect it's an event for Halloween.
    0zxlclk.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    God I hope we get a good Halloween event. Hearts and Minds is not an event. Its not even spooky. Tenebris and the whole Dividian arc are spookier than Hearts and Minds.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,438 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    God I hope we get a good Halloween event. Hearts and Minds is not an event. Its not even spooky. Tenebris and the whole Dividian arc are spookier than Hearts and Minds.

I think Hearts and Minds should just be added to the Available tab instead of popping up on the 13th, Halloween, or some other spooky day. As well as add the Holo-Kurland to show up during the Halloween Event. Agreed on the suggestion for the other creepy episodes of Tenebris Torquent and the whole Devidian arc.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    They need some real horror for Friday the 13th and Halloween - something psychological that will freak people out about some thing or another the same way Pet Sematary made me feel about my cat for several months.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,438 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I personally don't want real horror because I have a queasy (sp?) stomach and do not do well with movies of that sort. I stick with Tenebris Torquent and the Devidian arc as well as maybe a recreation of the Catspaw episode of TOS in an event form.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    sthe91 wrote: »
    I personally don't want real horror because I have a queasy (sp?) stomach and do not do well with movies of that sort. I stick with Tenebris Torquent and the Devidian arc as well as maybe a recreation of the Catspaw episode of TOS in an event form.

I think Catspaw was thrown around during talk of the Halloween event.
    I honestly wouldn't mind the el classic Ghost Ship story either.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    on another tangent, and a way to use the interiors, you could go door to door trick or treating, and maybe get the odd Klingon you have to duel, or those spider things from coliseum.

on the other hand, how do you do halloween? the american version? do you celebrate samhain? what about the Día de Muertos? All saints day?
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    on another tangent, and a way to use the interiors, you could go door to door trick or treating, and maybe get the odd Klingon you have to duel, or those spider things from coliseum.

on the other hand, how do you do halloween? the american version? do you celebrate samhain? what about the Día de Muertos? All saints day?

the Canadian version of Halloween is mostly just costumes and going door to door saying "Trick or Treat" for free candy, however the American version also involves throwing eggs and toilet paper at people homes.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    That's hell night actually, the night BEFORE Halloween.
    and although not an event, I really would like to see a new bikini top next year based on this Orion top:
    Captureorion.jpg
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
This discussion has been closed.