test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Constant flickering on space and ground maps on a Dell XPS 13 9310

hmallow42hmallow42 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
I posted about this on r/sto; see that post for a video of the flickering.

This machine's GPU is Intel's Iris Xe.

I've tried changing STO's display and graphics settings quite a bit (from potato to "all the bells and whistles", from windowed to fullscreen, etc.) and nothing makes the flickering go away.

Other games (Cities: Skylines, Dorfromantik) do not flicker.

Note that UI (dialog boxes, etc.) don't flicker.

This is particularly frustrating as STO is basically the only reason I bought this computer.

I tried clearing sto's cache/logs/prepatch folders.

I reinstalled my GPU driver, both the OEM one and the one straight from Intel.

I made sure vertical sync in turned on, in both the Intel settings and the STO settings.

I've tried both 48 and 60 hertz, those are the only two options in the drop-down.

I tried lots of different resolutions; it always flickers.
Tagged:

Comments

• hmallow42hmallow42 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Filed a ticket, it's #553257.
  • jackbones39jackbones39 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Same issue here but it only started this morning (7/22). No problems until this morning. Also using Intel's iRIS Xe but on a Acer Aspire.
  • jackbones39jackbones39 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Same issue here but it only started this morning (7/22). No problems until this morning. Also using Intel's iRIS Xe but on a Acer Aspire.

Might have to do with Lighting 2.0. When I turn it off the flickering stops but the graphics are then poor.
  • mirekodan1mirekodan1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I have the same video card and have been having the same problem with flickering. Everything flickers except the UI. The game is now unplayable after the last update.
  • kingzissoukingzissou Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Same issue as original poster. Bought a Dell XPS 13 (needed an updated laptop, and one that would work with the STO updates in Feb.), and now I have rapid flickering/flashing on the screen except for the UI--the environment flickers/flashes to where I can't look at the screen, but the menus do not flicker (abilities bar, inventory menu, etc...). Before today's update, I could play around with the Display tab's antialiasing option (switching from None to FXAA would work one time, then switching it back to None would work other times) or toggling other options in the Advanced and Graphic's tabs to get the flashing/flickering to stop until the next time I logged in. However, today I have restarted the game multiple times and can't get the flickering to stop.

In addition to the flickering/flashing, the game environments are now way too bright--even decreasing the brightness to 40% doesn't help. Ground maps are very hard to see because everything is all white. Even when I could get the flickering to stop, the maps would remain blindingly bright.

I've tried turning on/off the Game Mode setting on the laptop, restarting the game and my laptop, playing with all the graphic, display, and advanced options, but the screen flickers/flashes at epilepsy inducing speeds. Already filed a ticket with the Help Desk--they advised to post it here.

Intel(R) Iris Xe Graphics
    8GB 4267MHz LPDDR4x Memory
    13.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge Non-Touch display
    11th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.2 GHz)
    Windows 11 Home
    256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
  • birdofprey17birdofprey17 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I just bought a new Dell laptop which has the Intel Iris Xe Graphics card, and one of the first things I installed on it was STO. I am also experiencing the same flickering and extreme brightness that has been reported above. The game is not playable on this laptop, and it should be. Has there been any update on this issue from the Devs ? Dell is advertising this card as one of their new cards that should work great for gaming on a laptop, so I'm surprised there are so many issues with it when trying to run STO.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Khitomer in Stasis is the only map that really does it to me.

I'm running the game on a 4k tv screen with a 3080, and it has no issue doing ultra on any other game, so it's weird that cryptic's games seem to be the only ones that have issues. I'm guessing its a texture issue, given what IS and ISN'T doing it here and in champions for me. I know they don't really like going back and updating older art assets, but that's my guess.

What are the screen settings for people getting the flicker?