test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The 32nd Century Courage Command Science Destroyer [T6]

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
Am I the only one who thinks this ship looks truly awful?

The design is hideous, the stats uninteresting...the Universal Console, Trait...it's the most unappealing ship that I've seen in the game and the least I'd ever be likely to gamble for.

I've never been one for the 1 in a billion chance with an R&D Pack, but at least there was some excitement in the ship you might be able to get.

I think it's, personally, another sign that the 32nd Century and Disco just aren't any fun in STO.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I don't think the design is that bad, it's a uncommon and exotic design for a starship. I don't like it as a Starfleet design though, for that premise all of DSCs 32c designs are, in my opinion, hideous. However, even their 23c designs are bad - Kurtzman's shows really have no ship design that is somewhat halfway great for what it's supposed to be.

And, of course, I wouldn't engage in the lockbox lottery for it, but I wouldn't do this for any kind of ship. If the choice is either 600€ Mudd-bundles or gambleboxes I'd choose not getting any new ships at all.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The only ships I like the look of from ST:D are the Connie and the Defiant, and both stayed fairly true to their roots which may explain why.
  • omegaher0omegaher0 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    People who make fun of the Oberth's looks ain't got no right when this ship exists now... Things looks like a dang toilet. And here's the thing, I LIKE some of the DSC ships, like the Crossfield, the Buran and the Gagarin. But this has to be the worst looking ship I have ever seen.
    "Suffer the little ones, lest they rise up and beat you senseless." Druid's Call, from Magic: The Gathering
  • sslorrsslorr Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    LOL, Whoever designed this needs to go back to federation ship design 101. To me it looks like a gussied up phaser with too much bling.
  • captainjtietzcaptainjtietz Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Introducing the USS Porcelain Throne.

Seriously, the ship looks like a toilet. Someone has been paying way too much attention to Modern "Art."
  • warhammeredwarhammered Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Introducing the USS Porcelain Throne.

Seriously, the ship looks like a toilet. Someone has been paying way too much attention to Modern "Art."

Spot on. USS Toilet reporting for...duty?

Does anyone know if Doug Drexler has been involved with the Abomination Trek ships? Because most of them (I'll admit the Janeway-class has promise) look like rejected drawings from parodies.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Looks like its going to have saucer separation.
    60608.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    Ok guys... maybe should tone down the toilet jokes now.

My personal opinion is... meh. Not a fan, but I'm not gonna drag it through the mud.
    Would I have preferred to see evolutions of designs we saw in the past? Yea. But the key thing we need to remember is that most of these 32c ships probably weren't designed to be seen as much as the hero ship. They're pretty much background ships. And again we come across the problem of "How do we look more advanced than what we've seen before" when until DSC s3 the most advanced we saw was 29th Century, and need I remind everyone that the Relativity looked nothing like anything we saw in Starfleet.

Now... seeing this thing go against an Iconian Dread might be fun.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Star fleet or otherwise the design doesn't work for me. The only question is if i lean more towards dislike or hideous.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    Oh? We finally have a look at the ship for that show? *zips over to 10 Forward*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I dunno, I has the kind of ugly duckling design I can grow to like. Though the problem with ships like that is always the lack of customization options. I like to have stuff to play around with.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    I don't mind it looks like a mobile space station which seems appropriate for a science vessel.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    This thing really should've been a lobi ship.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I don't think the design is that bad, it's a uncommon and exotic design for a starship. I don't like it as a Starfleet design though, for that premise all of DSCs 32c designs are, in my opinion, hideous. However, even their 23c designs are bad - Kurtzman's shows really have no ship design that is somewhat halfway great for what it's supposed to be.

And, of course, I wouldn't engage in the lockbox lottery for it, but I wouldn't do this for any kind of ship. If the choice is either 600€ Mudd-bundles or gambleboxes I'd choose not getting any new ships at all.​​
    I came to what should have been a rather obvious realization a few years back while reading some of the Eaglemoss Collection Magazines that come with their ships.

Back in the day, the main key ship designers. Matt Jeffries, Andy Probert, Ralph MacQuarrie, the ILM team etc were by and large Industrial Designers. They designed things to be functional. Form Follows Function was the underlying mantra to most ST ships up through Enterprise.

But starting with the JJ Abrams movies and following into Kurtzman Trek, it's now all done by Graphical Designers. Which are an entirely different breed of animal. If you read the interviews on how they created the 2009 Enterprise, you come to realize they are mainly bubbleheaded TRIBBLES who live to work the tint controls and particle effect sliders of their favorite programs. They give absolutely zero thought to how the designs are supposed to function because "Future!". This is why when you actually map out the USS Discovery as it appears on screen, you quickly realize based on the scale of the people standing at the windows, it is entirely hallways, with no rooms anywhere. These are the thought processes that give us "detachable nacelles make it go faster VROOOOM!".

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User

I dig it a bit. If it won't be popular in game, I'll take one if offered cheap.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks this ship looks truly awful?

The design is hideous, the stats uninteresting...the Universal Console, Trait...it's the most unappealing ship that I've seen in the game and the least I'd ever be likely to gamble for.

I've never been one for the 1 in a billion chance with an R&D Pack, but at least there was some excitement in the ship you might be able to get.

I think it's, personally, another sign that the 32nd Century and Disco just aren't any fun in STO.

Why wouldn't you want to fly the USS Tidybowl? How about USS Porcelain Throne? USS John? :D
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Well, in contrast, it seems 'Prodigy' is giving us something of a more classic design for its ship:

Though have created a thread in Ten Forward to discuss that specifically.

From what little I've seen it honestly just looks like a more modern version of the NX class refit that we never got.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I didn't want to get into the whole 'toilet' compairison thing, but I couldn't help but be childishly amused at the fact that we have one design that looks like a toilet and another that looks like a toilet seat!
    nd6Xke9.jpg
    I mean, what are they going for here?! :D

Maybe the designer doesn't even realize he's doing it. There might be a subconscious fetish, OR he might have a pretty negative opinion of Discovery himself and is designing these to make a point, which no one is picking up on, until we tell people what they look like.

His pseudonym is Armitage Shanks.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

I dig it a bit. If it won't be popular in game, I'll take one if offered cheap.

And there is the real problem.. the ship will be horrifically expensive because no one wants it.

It's in a Promo Box, which means that if you win a promo ship, you have to select this ship.. which no one will because they have many far more attractive options to pick from. That means if you actually want this ship, the supply will be insanely low which of course, drives the price through the roof.

I'm actually with you on the design, I think it's ok.. I actually kinda like it. But I get that it's not going to be a popular design at all. Honestly, this ship should have been a Lobi ship.. even then it would be somewhat rare, putting it in a promo box is hilariously ridiculous.

It's the most typically Cryptic thing that they could have done.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    I didn't want to get into the whole 'toilet' compairison thing, but I couldn't help but be childishly amused at the fact that we have one design that looks like a toilet and another that looks like a toilet seat!
    nd6Xke9.jpg
    I mean, what are they going for here?! :D

I think all we can deduce from this is his favorite drink:

warriors-drink.jpg
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited July 2021
    Ring styles are somewhat common in one form or another.
    6e80612edb1563f0e221cdf2feacab62.jpg
    The Ori Warship being probably one of the more commonly known ones. And Rings aren't unknown in Star Trek, as the Vulcans had Warp Rings in the 22nd Century rather than nacelles.
    wFOJo.jpg
    And technically the Vengeance and Crossfield both have Rings rather than full Saucers for the saucer section.
    591q5_szc7v31BDK5Dr4hhEXL9ss96x5mD1dJP7wOBQ.jpg?auto=webp&s=c97bf309217c62e6f83fd370bdbb6cf4bd86d378
    qmx_vengeance_replica_2.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Don't care for it, but that may have to do with the fact that I'm Human and the designers were clearly going for a "since Earth left the Federation, designs of new ships tend toward alien aesthetics" angle. To, say, a Tellarite, this might look really cool.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mysonne1mysonne1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    This is a joke right? The ship is ridiculous looking, even moreso than Risian vessels. I REALLY hope I dont have to watch these ingame in TFO's lol. I agree OP, absolute NASTINESS
  • mrjackhammermrjackhammer Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Oh joy, another hideous failure from the aptly-named S-T-D. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
  • mysonne1mysonne1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Can someone also please throw Roddenberry's rule of pairs when it comes to Nacelles etc? I wish STDisgusting would at least stay true to source material.
  • megainexoros#5925 megainexoros Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Kind of looks like a Gallente Dominix from EVE Online.
This discussion has been closed.