test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Since 5/25 update, just black screen or crashes...

13»

Comments

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Windows 21H1 is an Optional update to prepare computers for Windows 11 do in the fall sometime. I installed it early July myself.

Though I also see Nvidia has released a new more current Driver today for my Card series.

GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER
    Version: 471.41 WHQL
    Release Date: 2021.7.19

Going to go try it now, still as I've said before the core of the issue is within the STO code. As all drivers had no issues prior to 5/25.
    0zxlclk.png
  • archbetharchbeth Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    I'm almost always getting a black screen with spinny circle on the first time I try to connect. I force-quit the process ("end task"), go back to the overall game-select window, re-launch the STO-specific launcher ("click Play on the STO page"), and then it's been reliably working on the second try.

Spouse thinks that there's some barfing trying to connect to the server that goes on. HE isn't getting it, but he has a newer computer than I do.
    Yea I've only seen that 3-4x times with the Black Screen and single spinning rotating blue wheel icon. First load on 5/25, then a week or so after. Then saw it again 2 out of 4 times after I updated windows to 21H1 (Build) which I thought was highly unusual though haven't seen it in two weeks.

I also updated my Bios and made sure Windows was fully updated as well. Still like I say I think the CORE of the problem is hidden in the STO code they revised or made 5/25.

I've tried turning Dynamic Lighting OFF, though my friend said several have found Lighting 2.0 OFF helped to reduce crashes. For me however it's just to drastic a color change especially in water while on Risa.
    0zxlclk.png
    edited August 2021
    Strange after upgrading to Nvidia's latest drivers published only July 19th, and then rebooting I got another Black Screen today and just a spinning blue wheel cursor nothing else.

*sigh*

Really wish they would hurry up and fix this issue & the game crashes!

What's interesting though is before I tried to end the STO application, I noticed Arc Update (32 Bit) which is odd given my system is 64. Sadly I didn't capture those as I closed them first, but I could easily duplicate it after rebooting... *sigh*

R5o12rt.png
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
    edited July 2021
    I restarted my computer today, and again a black screen. Not quite sure why this seems linked to a RESTART, but that's what seems to be happening. On consecutive attempts the black screen doesn't appear, just after a reboot or restart strangely enough!

Still not sure why on restart ARC seems to mostly run on 32 bit mode. I closed ARC down and then the main apps starts in 64 bit, with all these hanging 32's?

TLBUOnM.png
    0zxlclk.png
  • matzdaadmatzdaad Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Was getting into STO (after dealing with ARC so I could get to CRYPTIC and loading bar)
    Mainly black screen with, maybe, mini-map, Inventory, and maybe 1 or 2 more.
    (the above were mostly black but popped into view now and then, now nothing at all)
    The outline of the chat box almost always there, sometimes the whole thing.
    Lately nothing but black...
    1. Uninstalled ARC and related games.
    2. Downloaded ARC and then STO.
    3. After getting ARC to run right force-verified huge patch.
    4. Started in safe mode.
    5. Started normally.
    6. Started safe-mode and Fast Launch.

NOTHING! I can't even get to Character Selection Screen to change my character.
    NEVERWINTER and FORSAKEN WORLD, both Perfect World/Cryptic/ARC games NO PROBLEM...
    When is the STO code error going to be fixed??
    It's been from MAY 25th to today, at least 2 months!!

I am really getting Pished off, been playing STO since 14 months after they started it!
    MatzDaad
    Fleet: 8th Expeditionary Command
    Member since 2/15/2012

edited August 2021
    Hopefully someone reads, and at least logs it. I mean in a related thread, someone stated, "That's been happening a lot, from what I could gather. Has to do with ARC not playing nice with STO. (I blame the ARC overlay freezing up the game when it initializes.) I usually launch STO directly from it's own launcher in the install directory now, with zero problems".

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1262884/black-blank-screen-upon-loading-game

I noticed something similar above as it seems ARC is doing some Strange things when it loads on first launch, or reboot of a computer running in 32bit mode. They also said they don't have black screens when loading STO by itself without the ARC launcher.

@ambassadorkael#6946
    ╘ I'll try and tag him, hoping he'll advise someone on the team at Cryptic!

<3
    0zxlclk.png
    edited August 2021
    strathkin wrote: »
    Hopefully someone reads, and at least logs it. I mean in a related thread, someone stated, "That's been happening a lot, from what I could gather. Has to do with ARC not playing nice with STO. (I blame the ARC overlay freezing up the game when it initializes.) I usually launch STO directly from it's own launcher in the install directory now, with zero problems".

The only way I can tell I'm in STO is the ST music and my 'arrow' pointer changes to the ST 'combadge' pointer.
    I was unable to start a new ticket as all I can see is black, I did however report it (the Black Screen) in a reply to a previous issue and in their reply I got...
    We appreciate your patience while the developers are currently investigating this incident.
    As for the Arc launcher it did work well in NEVERWINTER and FORSAKEN WORLD so it seems something in the STO code is not agreeing with Arc. STO worked perfectly the morning before the 5/25 "update", total mess afterwards.

Post edited by matzdaad on
    MatzDaad
    Member since 2/15/2012

• alexanderb#7559 alexanderb Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    They said in the last patch notes, that they fixed it, but this issue is still popping up. Not only for me, but also other players in our armada confirmed it, having the same issues still.
    edited August 2021
    Yea I got my first Black Screen just today myself, this was the first time I've ever seen it without a Computer Restart.

Yet I also realize ARC isn't loaded, just Arc Update (32-bit) which is highly suspect; cause ARC itself is 64 bit. So why isn't ARC being shown even though I know it was loaded, seems the Arc Update is causing issues with it passing INFO to STO perhaps!

NOTE: I realize I sized it down to limit file size, but you can still see (32-bit) is present for ARC Update, just as it is for a few other related applications associated with it. Despite the ARC application being 64 itself.

bVRbpzR.png

As if I exit ARC and reload it, you don't see the Arc saying 32-bit beside it. As shown here:
    ╘ problem is why is ARC Update (32-bit) not 64, and why is it preventing their APP from loading properly.
    ╘ People who don't use ARC won't see this problem.

Wt6BDRV.png
    0zxlclk.png
    edited August 2021
    matzdaad wrote: »
    As for the Arc launcher it did work well in NEVERWINTER and FORSAKEN WORLD so it seems something in the STO code is not agreeing with Arc. STO worked perfectly the morning before the 5/25 "update", total mess afterwards.

One tip from a GM was to go to options in the launcher (where you hit 'Engage'), scroll down to command line and enter

-ArcOverlayEnable 0
    then hit save and engage.

I have not had to kill gameclient once since doing this,
    not turning the computer on in the morning, after restarts, never.

If it should not work for you go back to command line, erase (-ArcOverlayEnable 0) hit save and, enter.

Note: starts with a dash - and ends with (1 space) zero.

MatzDaad
    Member since 2/15/2012

Oh very good maybe I try that, thank you. Still be nice for them to FIX it.
    0zxlclk.png
  • motito78motito78 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Nothing, tryed that in options and still getting this screens, cant play
    9wCl4.png
  • motito78motito78 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Ok. Arc support told me my graphic card is obsolete and have to get a new one... Quite hard on a notebook, right??
    Guess is a goodbye.
    edited August 2021
    Well I mean some graphics cards are only 2-2.5 years old and effected.

I mean why it hangs black on first login sometimes, yet if you do the CNTR-Alt-Del Salute it then works fine for most people.

They likely must be missing something...
    0zxlclk.png
    edited August 2021
    I mean I always see the Arc Update (32-bit) when ever I get the Black Screen as shown in one screen shot above, and often it spawns a variety of Arc Browser (instances) also 32-bit.

Next time it does it I'll get a closer image of it.

Why is Arc update always loading in (32-bit) mode, and spawning a variety of (32-bit) Arc Browser windows.

When I see Arc by itself in NORMAL (64-bit) mode the Client loads without issue. I mean even the Cryptic Launcher can say (32-bit) mode, despite I've been running 64-bit fine for years! This all changed 5/25...

gXFnPpM.png

And yet later even despite the Launcher showing 32-bit mode Launcher, the Client later loads fine in 64-bit mode as it should. Some DEV has done something to Arc &/or STO that is causing it to launch all these stray 32-bit processes it should not!

@ambassadorkael#6946
    0zxlclk.png