test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New promo ship = "Courage" class from DSC s3

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    Ship is ugly. Trait and console are interesting.

It's really fascinating how they're trying to sell an old mechanic as revolutionary or interesting btw (on the news page).
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    The tactical mode gif made me laugh so hard, especially how the paragraph sells it.
    The Courage-class utilizes a unique directional matrix to allow the ship to quickly transfer its functionality between being focused on Science and Research, and being a resilient Destroyer. The ship's default configuration is outfitted for scientific pursuits, but it can be quickly reconfigured on the fly by switching into Tactical Mode.

When this transformation is initiated, the ship's orientation will be reversed.
    It almost feels like whoever wrote this was trying so hard to make the "transformation" sound cool, before giving up mid-way.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    beware, not serious: missed opportunity to have a hangar bay with dewan support frigates, for maintenance, repair and cleanup.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    Hard hard pass. Ship designs have been getting weirder and weirder in my opinion. Outside of the Alliance Battlecruiser and Raider, every new design has been a miss for me as of late. At least it’s a lockbox one so there’s a good chance I won’t see it onscreen. Pretty sure Kanye is going to use this as inspiration for a women’s high heel shoe though. STO gotta do better with the designs.
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    This looks like something from Hardware Wars. Look it up, its an old spoof of Star Wars. lol
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User

Wow...that's looks so cumbersome.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User

I don't know if the original CGI from Discovery is responsible and they had to even replicate that, but the lights that are supposed to illuminate the name and registry decals are doing an extremely poor job at that.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2021
    ...only the janeway looks like a starfleet ship.

Yes, and Discovery does (despite it's unique qualities) of a Spore Drive giving a less than standard yet very familiar design still.
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The main impression that I got from this was that all new DSC and PIC ships going forward will either box lockbox ships or promo ships. Yes, the statement was given that "two new ships have been put in the C-Store." However, that is a stark difference with the number of ships that have been released as lockbox only or promo box only ships since January of 2021.

Yeah - "two new ships have been put in the C-store". Apparently the fact that they gave us two C-store ships over a month ago means we're supposed to shut up about wanting (prefering?) C-store ships.

Yeah that Borticus seemed almost proud about Cryptic only releasing 2 zen store ships in over 6 months & a promo ship releases every month.

I mean the Titan was released in Nov, so Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, June 7 months seems like a long time to me. I only get CSTORE variants, so a bit sad they have slowed those to a snails pace. Still the big challenge is now with Discovery, being in the 32nd means most will be Lockbox, Lobi, or Promo Ships likely. Though as I said most don't seem like recognizable Federation designs, which is why I hope with Earth, Vulcan, Trill and other planets rejoining maybe in Season 4 we'll get back to something more familiar. I only hope the reason was the burn that caused several challenges, limitations, etc... as the reason for said departure!

Which means, to see new Ships really falls on Picard for them to introduce new or different Federation, Romulan or even Klingon Ships--which they've not really shown Klingons in Picard. I just find that odd as Picard did have the first Klingon Bridge Officer ever.

Strange New Worlds however might offer a few new Federation Ships, will they go with the Pre-TOS updated look or will cryptic offer two skins on a few to include a modernized 2410 skin as same had done from Disco Season 2. Still that series isn't likely to be seen until 2022.
    0zxlclk.png
  • mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    lumawarm-l60-heated-toilet-seat-installed-shot-light-on_1.jpg

here the best pic i could find

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it first...then probably looks like a Urinal as well. I guess...
    From the minds of Starfleet’s most inventive engineers of the 32nd century, comes a ship unlike any other – the Courage-class Command Science Destroyer! were thinking about going to the toilet and the next quest in the 32nd century is to find a WORKING bathroom :D
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    strathkin wrote: »
    ...only the janeway looks like a starfleet ship.

Yes, and Discovery does (despite it's unique qualities) of a Spore Drive giving a less than standard yet very familiar design still.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The main impression that I got from this was that all new DSC and PIC ships going forward will either box lockbox ships or promo ships. Yes, the statement was given that "two new ships have been put in the C-Store." However, that is a stark difference with the number of ships that have been released as lockbox only or promo box only ships since January of 2021.

Yeah - "two new ships have been put in the C-store". Apparently the fact that they gave us two C-store ships over a month ago means we're supposed to shut up about wanting (prefering?) C-store ships.

Yeah that Borticus seemed almost proud about Cryptic only releasing 2 zen store ships in over 6 months & a promo ship releases every month.

I mean the Titan was released in Nov, so Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, June 7 months seems like a long time to me. I only get CSTORE variants, so a bit sad they have slowed those to a snails pace. Still the big challenge is now with Discovery, being in the 32nd means most will be Lockbox, Lobi, or Promo Ships likely. Though as I said most don't seem like recognizable Federation designs, which is why I hope with Earth, Vulcan, Trill and other planets rejoining maybe in Season 4 we'll get back to something more familiar. I only hope the reason was the burn that caused several challenges, limitations, etc... as the reason for said departure!

Which means, to see new Ships really falls on Picard for them to introduce new or different Federation, Romulan or even Klingon Ships--which they've not really shown Klingons in Picard. I just find that odd as Picard did have the first Klingon Bridge Officer ever.

Strange New Worlds however might offer a few new Federation Ships, will they go with the Pre-TOS updated look or will cryptic offer two skins on a few to include a modernized 2410 skin as same had done from Disco Season 2. Still that series isn't likely to be seen until 2022.

We also had the Romulan and Jem'hadar Recon ships in December 2020. So, 3 ships counting the Titan back to back, followed by a drought of c-store ships until the T6 Malachowski/Miranda kitbash option & the T6 Oberth for regular ships, but they've also added several ships that people might want to the c-store, just not as affordable as a $30 C-store ship.

Below is every ship we've gotten since the calendar year started

- Temer-class Alliance Raider (11th Anniversary ship)
    - Legendary ships (Horatio class Temporal support cruiser, Repulse class Miracle Worker Heavy Cruiser, Vo'n'talk class Pilot Bird-of-prey, Vor'cha Commmand Support Battlecruiser)
    - M'chla Bird-of-Prey Refit (Klingon Recruitment reward)
    - Dhailkhina class Command Strike Wing Warbird (Zhat Vash lockbox ship)

All above were released in February 2021

- Janeway class Command Science Vessel (Infinity R&D promotional ship) March 2021
    - Legendary D7 Intel Battlecruiser (packed in with KDF level boost to 65) April 1st 2021
    - Jovian Intel Heavy Raider (Infinity Lockbox ship) April 15th 2021
    - Kweijan Pilot Frigate (Infinity Lockbox ship) May 4th 2021
    - Crossfield class Science Spearhead Refit (Far From Home Lockbox ship) May 25th 2021
    - Clarke-Class Multi-mission Command Cruiser & Grissom-class Light Science Vessel (New Genesis bundle) June 24th 2021
    - Risian Luxury Cruiser T6 (Lohlunat Festival ship) July 1st 2021

In total, we have 5 total lockbox ships (counting the Courage-class which is unreleased), 1 R&D promotional ship, 3 Event ships, and 7 ships that were released into the C-store in some form, whether it be Legendary or non-legendary. We know that a T6 Steamrunner ship IS coming this year, so that will be another C-store ship.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,197 Arc User

I can see the resemblance every time I use one of these...
  • mikecobalt#1974 mikecobalt Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    :) I thought that was a "Shoe Horn" when I first glanced at the Picture.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    I will definitely give the flying Bozo boot a pass. DSC really needs to get some designers with at least a little talent.

All the 31st century ships are pure generic garbage so far, a bit reminiscent of the Space Opera tabletop RPG where in the main books they took random pieces of industrial junk and photographed them with unusual filters to be starships before they went back and actually designed some for their Jane's ship supplement.
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    What in the Nine Circles is that hideous thing???
    A 32nd Century Space Toilet. Remember to be considerate. Always Flush and leave the seat down for the next user. We strongly recomend against firing photon torpedo's while toilet is occupied.

• nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I would've considered this purchase if it had been a Zen Store starship.

I think it's got some promising attributes & it's style is different.

I just have no appetite to gamble away & lose, I'd prefer something definite.

So the starship's mechanic is just a reiteration of the Hirogen Hunter's quick turnaround mechanic pretty much?
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Hard hard pass. Ship designs have been getting weirder and weirder in my opinion. Outside of the Alliance Battlecruiser and Raider, every new design has been a miss for me as of late. At least it’s a lockbox one so there’s a good chance I won’t see it onscreen. Pretty sure Kanye is going to use this as inspiration for a women’s high heel shoe though. STO gotta do better with the designs.

Eh, I'm fine with this one. I'll take one if someone offers me it.

Hmmmm, now I wanna see those shoes. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    So the starship's mechanic is just a reiteration of the Hirogen Hunter's quick turnaround mechanic pretty much?

No. That's actually the transformation mechanic we've seen from ships like the Dysons, the Titan, and Mirror Crossfield. Apparently in the show that ship was seen flying both ways so Cryptic decided to make it a Science Destroyer. One way is Science Mode, the other is Tactical Mode. And it transforms... by flipping around so the back becomes the front, and vice versa.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > No. That's actually the transformation mechanic we've seen from ships like the Dysons, the Titan, and Mirror Crossfield. Apparently in the show that ship was seen flying both ways so Cryptic decided to make it a Science Destroyer. One way is Science Mode, the other is Tactical Mode. And it transforms... by flipping around so the back becomes the front, and vice versa.

Is it me, or is that a cheap gimmick that sucks in concept and execution? They could’ve said, “to differentiate modes, the nacelles drop/rise/change color/change direction:etc”. It would’ve worked out better than “mode activates by direction ” motif that really sounds weird in my opinion.
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    I would've considered this purchase if it had been a Zen Store starship.

I think it's got some promising attributes & it's style is different.

I just have no appetite to gamble away & lose, I'd prefer something definite.

Just think of the fun to be had naming it?
    USS Ty'di'Bool
    USS Eurynol
    USS Porcelain Bus
    IKS B'dey

Is it me, or is that a cheap gimmick that sucks in concept and execution? They could’ve said, “to differentiate modes, the nacelles drop/rise/change color/change direction:etc”. It would’ve worked out better than “mode activates by direction ” motif that really sounds weird in my opinion.

Based on what little has been seen of it, there really isn't anything to shift to show it, and the ship was seen flying in both directions in the show.

The other Science Destroyers we have in game do have something that visibly changes. The Dysons close up their secondary deflectors and deploy cannons, the Titan actually has a bit that changes color to indicate mode, and the Mirror Crossfield... rotates its saucer.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

No. That's actually the transformation mechanic we've seen from ships like the Dysons, the Titan, and Mirror Crossfield. Apparently in the show that ship was seen flying both ways so Cryptic decided to make it a Science Destroyer. One way is Science Mode, the other is Tactical Mode. And it transforms... by flipping around so the back becomes the front, and vice versa.

Perhaps, rattler2, you could link something showing this "transformation" then please. This is what I found:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11491803 The animated pic below Admiralty Stats just shows the Courage-class banking port & turning around with no actual "transformation" that I can see.

I get the focus: the BOFF seating changes, & the experimental weapon & Secondary Deflector changes with the Tac/Sci.

I don't think simply abruptly turning around 180 degrees qualifies as a "transformation". Perhaps my expectations of "transformation" being the hull would actually articulate somehow were too high & incorrect?
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I don't know, because maybe this is just me...I like there being a distinct front and a back to a ship. That Ferengi one always drove me crazy and with the terrific Hirogen console, spinning around is far better. If it had been a new animation, where the ship sort of turned itself inside out, then that might have been fun...but I just don't see the point in this. The only way the idea could work would be on say a Borg Sphere, able to just change direction abruptly and with no front of back to the ship.

Disco's lavatory range though isn't doing anything for me.
    Please lay off the toilet comparisons. To each their own. Its ok to not like the design, but please tone down the toilet comparisons. Honestly the Atrox is getting more love and people compare that ship to something else.

If you don't like the design, just say so and not compare it to a toilet.

Perhaps, rattler2, you could link something showing this "transformation" then please. This is what I found:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11491803 The animated pic below Admiralty Stats just shows the Courage-class banking port & turning around with no actual "transformation" that I can see.

I get the focus: the BOFF seating changes, & the experimental weapon & Secondary Deflector changes with the Tac/Sci.

I don't think simply abruptly turning around 180 degrees qualifies as a "transformation". Perhaps my expectations of "transformation" being the hull would actually articulate somehow were too high & incorrect?

Again, it comes down to what we saw of the class in the show. There is no visible articulation of any kind, and it was shown flying in both directions. I think in the livestream they said they tried to ask CBS but got no firm answer because they'd have to wait for CBS to contact the guys who designed the ship.
    So they settled for a compromise and made her a Science Destroyer so she can fly both ways via "transformation", which in this case is literally just doing a 180. I admit its not the most exciting transformation, but it is a tiny bit more exciting than just changing a light like on the Titan.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User

How many lockboxes did it take to unlock?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    I would not be at all surprised to find out that the ship was flying in both directions because the CGI animators could not figure out which way it was supposed to fly.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Please lay off the toilet comparisons. To each their own. Its ok to not like the design, but please tone down the toilet comparisons. Honestly the Atrox is getting more love and people compare that ship to something else.

If you don't like the design, just say so and not compare it to a toilet.

A couple of points of clarification please:

1: are you giving actual orders as a mod (as in "if you don't do this your post will be edited/you will be suspended/etc") or just making a personal request?

2: there is a difference between bashing something (aka "this sucks, it's terrible, etc") and saying the actual SHAPE of a ship reminds you of a RL item (be it a toilet or anything else a person may see in the shape). Which of those things("bashing" vs "this shape looks like X") are you asking (or ordering?) people not to do?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Also, the Courage class reminds me a bit of the Gorn dreadnought from the Starfleet Command games:

tyKhcBT.jpg

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited July 2021

1: are you giving actual orders as a mod (as in "if you don't do this your post will be edited/you will be suspended/etc") or just making a personal request?

2: there is a difference between bashing something (aka "this sucks, it's terrible, etc") and saying the actual SHAPE of a ship reminds you of a RL item (be it a toilet or anything else a person may see in the shape). Which of those things("bashing" vs "this shape looks like X") are you asking (or ordering?) people not to do?
    1. I made a personal request earlier, and I've had to step up to mod level request because its getting out of hand.
    2. Yes there is a difference between saying you don't like it, and elaborating in extensive detail, even going so far as to show pictures as a comparison, in a way that basically comes across as derogatory.

IMO the constant comparisons and almost memeifying of it is starting to evolve into a smaller scale version of the Discovery Acronym issue, and how that was being used in a derogatory manner to attack the show. While I agree a bit that the design is pretty meh... I'm not going to go out of my way to drag it through the mud to the level its getting to. I don't want this ship to be used as a proxy to attack Discovery by people because Mods crack down on the more derogatory acronyms used by people. I'm trying to keep the peace here.
    edited July 2021

1. I made a personal request earlier, and I've had to step up to mod level request because its getting out of hand.
    2. Yes there is a difference between saying you don't like it, and elaborating in extensive detail, even going so far as to show pictures as a comparison, in a way that basically comes across as derogatory.

IMO the constant comparisons and almost memeifying of it is starting to evolve into a smaller scale version of the Discovery Acronym issue, and how that was being used in a derogatory manner to attack the show. While I agree a bit that the design is pretty meh... I'm not going to go out of my way to drag it through the mud to the level its getting to. I don't want this ship to be used as a proxy to attack Discovery by people because Mods crack down on the more derogatory acronyms used by people. I'm trying to keep the peace here.

Ok, thanks for the response. All I will say is if you are now making threats as a mod then please update the forum rules to clearly state "you cannot compare the shape of any ship to a toilet". No one should ever get moderated for something that is not a clear violation of the rules and is only based on a vague personal opinion like "I think someone MIGHT be using this ship as a roundabout way to attack Discovery". We definitely need rules, but they also definitely need to be clearly spelled out :)
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2021
    I don't think she (avatar) was saying anything too bad, just trying to refocus the discussion.

I'm myself said earlier humor aside, I was just mostly sad that most ships didn't look like they were Federation Designs at all, except the Intrepid was the sole ship they decided to keep in the 32nd Century. I'd say they (show runners) deserved a big two thumbs down, cause most ships look like they were some new enemy force, not the Federation. That's despite the fact I love Discovery show a lot, I'd just really like to seen more Federation design principles, even if there was the odd twist...

Sometimes an unexpected element creates something people buy into slowly, then greatly love like the Spore Drive; despite Discovery had Warp capabilities too. Still I'm hopefully they may find ways to expand Spore technology with research &/or Telepaths, or other Gifted types; who share some of Books gifts (even though) those with his skills are a smaller % of most populations. I mean it be nice in an ideal world where more could explore those gifts, yet that brings me to my next point, hope... :'( but :o

As both Vulcan, and Trill have some with limited people of those types, in fact a few Caitians or Ferasans (mostly) as they seemed to encourage that develop. I'd love to see a modern Caitian done today, and think it be really cool, not because Caitians would have evolved much in < 1000 years at all, just because it be nice to see. Still there are civilizations who have far more gifted people in their cultures; like the Betazoid where they encourage and grown those abilities for centuries. And we've not really visited or seen much of their planet either yet.

I honestly really hope show runners really consider this as Discovery Season 4 Starts, because with the Burn Over now and having seen the Discovery start to distribute Dilithium again to former Federation homeworlds. I really hope this was intentional rather than completely bad choices. Mostly because they realized the great pains and pressure they were all under following the burn, which present far less options.

With some worlds like Vulcan and Trill having begun to rethink rejoining the Federation, and so I hope the same is true for Earth among several others this will change that! Or at least I hope so...
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
This discussion has been closed.