test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Buy a new board. It's worth it.

chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
Like many others I see on Risa, I have been using the Future Flyer forever. In past years, it was enough to get me on the podium regularly. This year it wasn't, and that was annoying me. So I splurged on a new board, one with the speed rating of 88, versus a rating of 78 for the old FF.

I took first place in the next Powerboard Race, and was well in the lead of the Biathlon when I missed a stage. You know that feeling when you realize you're going past the waypoints and not hearing that little "ding!" ? Yeah, I had to go back until I heard the ding. It's amusing to see people when you're running the course backwards, and imagine what they're thinking of you...

Anyhow, the new Powerboards are worth the Lolnuts. Get one.

***EDIT***

The huge size of my new Powerboard compared to the little FF is amusing to me. I was a surfer in my old hometown of San Diego back in the mid-70's, and I was laughed at a bit because I rode an old 6' G&S "log", at a time when the new shorter, lighter boards were coming into fashion. It was actually a great board for a beginner, because it was hella stable, if not very nimble.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Those faster boards also slide more. If I do the races it's for some tags, so I settle for the Finish and know I didn't fly out of bounds.

I also have lots of time, so I can afford to do three races to get six tags.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    with 50 people racing each time I'm lucky to finish with the lag. It would take 2 years for the new board to pay for itself. but, yeah, they are a lot faster than my poor little mcfly board.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    I don't often finish first in the Powerboard Race, but I can take 2nd or 3rd fairly consistently.
    In the Biathlon, I can almost always get on the Podium, and I take First Place about 25-30% of the time. I'm GOOD with the Floater.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I'd love to be able to use the boards off Risa. I don't see why we can't, since what's the difference with the Frosted Boots? I'm REALLY annoyed though, because I just played the surf contest, someone else snatched my reward and then the entire game crashed.
    In both the Powerboard Race and the Biathlon, the race itself is half of it, and grabbing the flag is the other half. It's the same with Fast & Flurrious in the QWW Winter event, but I actually find that somewhat easier.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    If you want to be competetive you don't really have a choice. Since the new boards are objectively better than the old, one with a new board is guaranteed to win over those that have the older ones. I feel this isn't optimal, but nothing you can do, really.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    If you want to be competetive you don't really have a choice. Since the new boards are objectively better than the old, one with a new board is guaranteed to win over those that have the older ones. I feel this isn't optimal, but nothing you can do, really.​​

Assuming an approximately equal level of skill, yes. But those new boards are not an "I Win" button. There are plenty of opportunities to go off track and get DQ'ed.

I just took 1st in the Powerboard Race and the Biathlon back to back, and in the former it was because the one guy ahead of me went burning into the finish area at full speed, overshot the flag, went out the backside of the area, and got disqualified. I hop off my board when I reach the flags; it's just too damn hard to control a fast powerboard in the close confines of that flag/finish area.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    If you want to be competetive you don't really have a choice. Since the new boards are objectively better than the old, one with a new board is guaranteed to win over those that have the older ones. I feel this isn't optimal, but nothing you can do, really.

Assuming an approximately equal level of skill, yes. But those new boards are not an "I Win" button. There are plenty of opportunities to go off track and get DQ'ed.

I just took 1st in the Powerboard Race and the Biathlon back to back, and in the former it was because the one guy ahead of me went burning into the finish area at full speed, overshot the flag, went out the backside of the area, and got disqualified. I hop off my board when I reach the flags; it's just too damn hard to control a fast powerboard in the close confines of that flag/finish area.

Yes, you can also hope that they log out after the start and not partake, then you win as well pig-3.gif

'Skill' plays a minor role, but the point remains that the new boards are simply better in every conceivable way. The older, slower ones do not have any advantages and after two or three races max one gets the drift and if they don't drive off track they won't lose to someone with an older board any more.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    eh? I run with the newest Stem Bolts Board on 2 toons and the McFly Pheonix Store board on 3 others. My win/loss rate is about the same across all. As in I can and do win or hit top 3 with the older board. The newer boards are faster off the line, but so long as you are hitting the speed boosts along the way the older board can make it up and gain a lot from better maneuverability. Especially since the older board can hit all of the speed boosts in those last stretches and still keep it in the track on those big turns. The newer big boards are much harder there.

If you are going to get the faster board do please note that the brand new Stem Bolts board is an "Impulsive" 88/80 board priced at 1000 lolnuts. (it just doesn't say Impulsive in the name) whereas the other Impulsive boards, even the other new ones, are 1500 lolnuts.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I'll never understand why with both the Summer and Winter Events having the reward be a ship...why are there no space games? I'd love to fly over a Class L planet or through a comet and then over Risa's ocean at low altitude. Or since Risa is weather controlled, for there for me a Genesis planet type multiple weather conditions ship obstacle course over the surface.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    As for why it is a ship well I'm guessing it's because it's an easy way to give free T5 or T6 ship to players in a way that executives wouldn't object to.

As for why no ship based events I'm guessing it's combination of the work needed (ship maps work at different scale them ground maps so you couldn't reused pre-existing ships) and the fact it's the "winter" event and summer event and those themes don't lend very well to ship based activities that would be meaningful to players.
    eh? I run with the newest Stem Bolts Board on 2 toons and the McFly Pheonix Store board on 3 others. My win/loss rate is about the same across all. As in I can and do win or hit top 3 with the older board. The newer boards are faster off the line, but so long as you are hitting the speed boosts along the way the older board can make it up and gain a lot from better maneuverability. Especially since the older board can hit all of the speed boosts in those last stretches and still keep it in the track on those big turns. The newer big boards are much harder there.

If you are going to get the faster board do please note that the brand new Stem Bolts board is an "Impulsive" 88/80 board priced at 1000 lolnuts. (it just doesn't say Impulsive in the name) whereas the other Impulsive boards, even the other new ones, are 1500 lolnuts.

Obviously your experience is somewhat different than mine. I live in a 3rd world banana republic, and my internet is Delta Sierra; I deal with a latency of at least 250-300ms all the time. Given the vagaries of server-client prediction, it's hardly surprising that those speed boosts are very squirrelly for me. I can hit them square on, and not get the boost, or I can miss them completely and get the boost. But I'm happy they work properly for you.
  • faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User

Obviously your experience is somewhat different than mine. I live in a 3rd world banana republic, and my internet is Delta Sierra; I deal with a latency of at least 250-300ms all the time. Given the vagaries of server-client prediction, it's hardly surprising that those speed boosts are very squirrelly for me. I can hit them square on, and not get the boost, or I can miss them completely and get the boost. But I'm happy they work properly for you.

Oh gods no. They are seemingly random when they do correctly trigger. You'll hit them square and half the time they won't trigger or I'll get a delayed trigger. The Ramps are almost worst. I've had a few times where they've launched me straight up and more or less left me there.

This discussion has been closed.