test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which names are prohibited and words are censored?

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
I don't mean for this to become a long list of filth, but there are names and words that are censored in the game, but I was wondering if there was a list of them?

There are so many people who play, just so they can create a toon called Sisko and fly a Defiant Class called "Defiant", but of course, those are banned.

I know that Picard, Enterprise, Voyager, Janeway and so on aren't allowed (although if everyone in the game wanted a Captain Kirk, what would be the harm?) but is there a list?

A decade ago and when I first started to play, I was gutted not to be able to call my Intrepid Voyager and once for a friend, I wanted to make an entirely cheeky (and okay, a little bit filthy) toon, with shall I say risqué ship and BOFF names, but they got slammed. Actually, even some colloquialisms which aren't filthy, got refused.

So, is there is a list of banned names and also, or naughty words that we're not allowed to use in STO?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    (although if everyone in the game wanted a Captain Kirk, what would be the harm?)

This is probably a case of CBS protecting their brand.

For example some anti-Discovery troll creates a Tilly that goes around harassing people and trying to ruin the TFOs they are in while spewing garbage in chat.

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I'm not aware of any public list.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    I think in general it is established characters and ships, especially hero level. Can't even name a ship Titan. I had a friend who used to play who didn't like the fact that Titan was not usable. Eventually he settled for Leviathan.

The only hero ship name that hasn't been blocked is Discovery. Mostly because the game had been out for years before DSC came out.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Pretty much all major character and ship names from before Discovery started production are blocked.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    You could try and e mail cryptic directly. they may even be able to post some stick in forums.
    I cant brain I have the dumb
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,981 Arc User
    It's all in the PWE Terms Of Service. I honestly thought a few things were spelled out more clearly before (to non - lawyers :wink: ) but the language is still there just using different terminology. Section 4.6

A lot of things aren't listed out right. There'd be an internal list for Star Trek related names that are outright disallowed (won't accept the name) but there's also a lot of other things you shouldn't do (i.e. with the naming of characters) that have come up as examples over the years in the various STO forums that you could potentially use in error initially that are still disallowed but would result in a suspension when reported.

The last report of this sort of thing I can recall was from a longer term player who'd named his character after an obscure religious deity who got reported many years later. As far as I know they just had to change the name and all was well.

KDF ship names allow for a lot of naughty adaptations of colorful phrases :blush:
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Next to named property, you have all the words censored you can't say on American TV. However, there are also a lot of false positives (or they're intentional for political reasons?) concerning sexual orientation, which in itself is somewhat offensive. However any tickets regarding a un-blacklisting of terms went unanswered.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • comdrconvoy#7369 comdrconvoy Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Pretty much all major character and ship names from before Discovery started production are blocked.

This is true but for some reason Kirk isn't banned same with Pike.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User

Why do I imagine that Pike is going to join the banned list shortly?
  • scottie270182#2421 scottie270182 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    One non-hero ship name I know can't be used is Venture. It stuck me as odd at the time, because I could correctly name and number my Galaxy-class ship after the Galaxy, Yamato and Odyssey, yet not use the name of the only ship to be seen with the nacelle phaser banks that came as standard at T5 and above.
    "..to boldly go where no one has gone before."
    One non-hero ship name I know can't be used is Venture. It stuck me as odd at the time, because I could correctly name and number my Galaxy-class ship after the Galaxy, Yamato and Odyssey, yet not use the name of the only ship to be seen with the nacelle phaser banks that came as standard at T5 and above.

Only reason I can think of that is because Venture was the name of a ship in a story mission.

Which is kinda countered by the fact we can name ships Challenger, despite the fact that is the name of Geordi's ship.

Some censored words don't make sense, while others... kinda do.
    Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if one of the arguments was that it was an obscure vulgar word in some other language at this point...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    > @rattler2 said:
    >
    > Which is kinda countered by the fact we can name ships Challenger, despite the fact that is the name of Geordi's ship.
    >

Geordi’s ship wasn’t added until at least Season 11. The Venture is from “Fluid Dynamics”—one of the early missions.

My guess is the restriction on ship and character names is no longer updated. It is harder to retroactively add something like Challenger and Discovery— which were NASA shuttle names and probably common choices— when there are already 100s or 1000s of ships in game with those names...

If they don’t update the list I wonder if you could make a Boimler or Mariner—
    But would you want to?
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    A Mariner? I've had a Mariner for years. What did they do?
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User

Becket Mariner is a Lower Decks character so that might be reason it might be banned but honestly it's generic enough that it might not end up on that list.
    spiritborn wrote: »

Becket Mariner is a Lower Decks character so that might be reason it might be banned but honestly it's generic enough that it might not end up on that list.

Right on. I haven't been prompted to change my ship's name so having it there doesn't appear problematic. Thank you.

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    ultimately i am wondering why this even is an issue within the game itself. its not like you can take your toon or ship and transport it somewhere else.
    i dont care if someone wants to fly the enterprise or play kirk or spock or any one of the multitude of people in the trek universe.

so to the OP, put it up, if they make you change it then do so. like above: k1rk, sp0ck, j4ames t k1rk, mcc0y, etc.

I'd say the only sensible reason is so that if you see a USS Enterprise in game, you know its actually an important NPC ship, never a player ship, thus it might be important for a mission or story.

At least originally, the game was set up so that if you're doing a mission, someone might randomly join you in a team because they were doing the same mission. Thus, if the Enterprise shows up you'd know its not a player but the game, and if you're talking to Spock, its not actually a player.

However they pretty much abandoned that entirely, and there is no reason to care what someone's ship or player name is now.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User

Right on. I haven't been prompted to change my ship's name so having it there doesn't appear problematic. Thank you.

Considering "mariner" is a more formal way of saying "sailor" Cryptic would probably unlikely to ban it anyway (too many ships and thus too many upset people for it to be worth) at least by their own accord now CBS could command them to do so but that seems unlikely too and that's even assuming that banned names list is updated at all.
    I'd say the only sensible reason is so that if you see a USS Enterprise in game, you know its actually an important NPC ship, never a player ship, thus it might be important for a mission or story.

At least originally, the game was set up so that if you're doing a mission, someone might randomly join you in a team because they were doing the same mission. Thus, if the Enterprise shows up you'd know its not a player but the game, and if you're talking to Spock, its not actually a player.

However they pretty much abandoned that entirely, and there is no reason to care what someone's ship or player name is now.

In terms of characters its more than likely they don't want to deal with any legal headaches over likeness. Some people would probably see something that looks like them and demand money for using their likeness. Its one of the reasons why we don't actually see Kirk during one of the AoY missions. He's face down. Also why we never actually see Data's face at the end of the mission we actually bring in Sela, and she talks to him about Tasha. I mean we know its Data because no one else has that hair or skin color, but we never actually see his face.

Ship names are trickier because the IP holder would probably like to maintain the image of those ships or something, but people always find ways to circumvent that with creative spelling. Or in the case of Enterprise, going with the older British spelling with a Z rather than an S.
  • faxmachine#9639 faxmachine Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    In terms of characters its more than likely they don't want to deal with any legal headaches over likeness. Some people would probably see something that looks like them and demand money for using their likeness. Its one of the reasons why we don't actually see Kirk during one of the AoY missions. He's face down. Also why we never actually see Data's face at the end of the mission we actually bring in Sela, and she talks to him about Tasha. I mean we know its Data because no one else has that hair or skin color, but we never actually see his face.
    I've heard in the past, at least for other games, that it often costs significantly more to get someone's likeness then it does to get that person to do VA work.

yeah you really dont even know what you are talking about.
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    I don't know what words are banned but every so often, the exchange mail tells me I sold !@#$ to someone
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User

Considering "mariner" is a more formal way of saying "sailor" Cryptic would probably unlikely to ban it anyway (too many ships and thus too many upset people for it to be worth) at least by their own accord now CBS could command them to do so but that seems unlikely too and that's even assuming that banned names list is updated at all.
    It's also the name of a series of NASA probes used to explore the inner solar system, and the Seattle baseball team. Basically, it's too late to trademark as a name, because it's been in such common use for literally decades already.

Context is also important - they can trademark starships named Enterprise because TOS was the first show to have a starship by that name, and there aren't any in the real world. Since there's no starship called Mariner in Trek lore, it can't be trademarked as a ship name. (Note that copyright is different from trademark; copyrights have legal protections when used elsewhere that trademarks don't, so if a trademark violation goes unchallenged the trademark itself can be lost. Perhaps the most famous case of that was Bayer Pharmaceutical's Aspirin-brand salicylic acid tablets, now just called aspirin no matter who makes them. It's also why nobody but Kimberly-Clark is allowed to call their paper facial tissues Kleenex, no matter how commonly we mere humans use the term.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    @jonsills Yeah, when I wrote up my treatment/pitch for a Star Trek Adventures campaign I learned about a lot of Mariners.

http://startrekmariner.blogspot.com/2018/08/these-are-voyages-star-trek-mariner.html?m=1

• annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User

I don't think any of the last names are blocked just the full name. James T Kirk, no. Jimmy T Kirk.. ok. Actor names are blocked too.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariner_program
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    @zedbrightlander1 I knew about that one, and a few others. The one I hadn't heard of was the Lower Deck one.

• scottie270182#2421 scottie270182 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    So, I was researching names to use on one of my Nebula-class starships last night, and settled on the U.S.S. Monitor due to the name's place in history, and the existence of a namesake Nebula in canon. Sadly, it turns out that Monitor is another restricted name.

To put this into historical context for those who are unaware, the names Merrimack and Virginia can be used, with the later name adorning the ironclad rebuild of the scuttled Merrimack during it's service with the Conferderate States Navy; where it fought the U.S.S. Monitor at the Battle of Hampton Roads in 1862.

Now, I'm not suggesting the developers are secret Confederate spys working to bring down the Union, ;) but I do find it interesting that a name like Monitor would be excluded, especially since there doesn't seem to be a ship in STO lore that could explain it.
    Post edited by scottie270182#2421 on
    "..to boldly go where no one has gone before."
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    You gave the very reason the name was restricted in your post.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Monitor

Virginia and Merrimack aren't restricted because there isn't any ship with the name of the former in Star Trek, and the latter also doesn't exist - but the Merrimac DOES exist, so that spelling of the name is probably restricted too.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
This discussion has been closed.