test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time to Update the Odyssey Uniform

captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
My favorite costumes in the game particularly for Federation characters are the Wells Uniform, which I use for all of my Temporal Agents; All Good Things, which I like for its simplicity; Temporal Jumpsuit, which is somewhat funky; and the TOS for the classic vibe (plus that Exo III Outfit is a killer on females). The Ferengi Entrepreneur's Open Jacket for Females with the matching skirt is terrific for female ferengi.

I like the Romulan Dress Uniform for that factions Romulans and their TOS look as well. The Klingon 2409 upgrade alongside the Kor and Mo'Kai costumes finally gave that faction some much needed styling upgrades, plus I like the warrior's decorated skirt for their females.

Bottom line and back to the thread title, all of this other space Barbie stuff now makes the old 2409 Odyssey costume look quite dated and in need of a visual improvement. Not saying that it should be discarded, but with all of Cryptic's improvements to the game, their primary Federation costume seems to have wilted and would benefit from a nice boost.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    It's all a matter of personal preference. I like the Odyssey uniform and use it on most of my characters. I'm not sure how it looks "dated" when the TOS one apparently doesn't. I guess our tastes differ.
  • shren#1472 shren Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    time to update alot of things lol
    " Live Long And Assimilate "
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    Meh, it's only officially the game's primary Starfleet uniform.

And not even that, cause there are many variations of it that can be more or less considered official (dress, which official characters like Tuvok also wear, the veteran has something of an official status of course and then there's the older ones like the Sierra uniform).

I usually treat the First Contact / late DS9 outfit with the grey shoulders as the official uniform for my captain characters and their officers, and the Odyssey dress uniform for admirals. (At least for those who are captains and admirals around 2409, as my personal head canon has game events spread out more so that some of them are commanding officers in the 2420s or even 2430s, with the latter usually getting Veteran Jupiter and Khitomer Alliance outfits as the standard for their period).
    So I would welcome an update to the FC outfit just as much as to the Odyssey one and some other older uniforms.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    A lot of uniforms need a touch up. You look at the TNG uniform compared to the TNG season 1... it really shows its age. Honestly the Odyssey uniforms are in a better state than the TNG one.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I like the odyssey uniform, my only complaint is I prefer the circular pips over rectangular.

There are a lot of uniforms that have aged worse than the odyssey....and there are more that can be added before we worry about something that is still newer
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Funny though, the uniforms are less than 2 years old of in-game terms…

lol
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    I appreciate the comments made here, thank you all.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    IDK why Starfleet characters start with the Odyssey uniforms as their default, apparently the 2409 Starfleet uniforms are the Sierra ones and the Odyssey uniforms came out in 2410.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    IDK why Starfleet characters start with the Odyssey uniforms as their default, apparently the 2409 Starfleet uniforms are the Sierra ones and the Odyssey uniforms came out in 2410.

2409-2410 was probably a transitional period, like the mix of late TNG uniforms with DS9 style uniforms in those two series.
    Back in the day, the NPCs all started with the Sierra uniform. Then in about 2014/2015ish the devs spent an inconceivable amount of time switching every one of them over to the "new" Odyssey look... Took a few months of patches. You'd see "known issues" of them still updating the look of the NPCs that wander around in your ship's corridors...

Funny stuff...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Back in the day, the NPCs all started with the Sierra uniform. Then in about 2014/2015ish the devs spent an inconceivable amount of time switching every one of them over to the "new" Odyssey look... Took a few months of patches. You'd see "known issues" of them still updating the look of the NPCs that wander around in your ship's corridors...

Funny stuff...

CM

I am not a fan of any of the TNG and onward spandex unitard uniforms so it really does not make much difference to me what they wear, it would be a different matter if the NPCs wore whatever the ship's uniform the player sets but it doesn't so it isn't, from my point of view.
    My statement was only for historical purposes.

CM
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User

Funny stuff...

CM

I am not a fan of any of the TNG and onward spandex unitard uniforms so it really does not make much difference to me what they wear, it would be a different matter if the NPCs wore whatever the ship's uniform the player sets but it doesn't so it isn't, from my point of view.

Gotta say that this is one of the games greatest faults for not at least having the ships crew at least mimic any standard faction uniform, when worn by the main player character! I mean how did that not be a thing?

Gotta say that this is one of the games greatest faults for not at least having the ships crew at least mimic any standard faction uniform, when worn by the main player character! I mean how did that not be a thing?

Probably technical issues. On top of that they would have to make an NPC set for each uniform, including current and future new uniforms, which might put a strain on resources. Because you know someone would complain that they can't get their crew to match the newest uniform that someone decided to make their primary.

And considering the number of Fed uniforms currently available... that is A LOT of generic NPCs. We've currently got Odyssey, TOS, DSC, and TNG uniform sets based on bridge being used. 4 out of how many different uniforms? And its gotta be dynamic based on what the player is wearing? Honestly I don't even know if that's even possible. Maybe if it was a selection menu like how we can pick windows and stuff in the ship tailor it is possible.

But again we come to the sheer amount of uniform sets that would have to be made. And in the case of the 32nd Century uniforms, two uniform sets because season 3 and season 4 of Discovery have the same style but different colors.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    I'd like a quality pass on the original uniforms, especially the Sierra.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    rattler2 wrote: »

Probably technical issues. On top of that they would have to make an NPC set for each uniform, including current and future new uniforms, which might put a strain on resources. Because you know someone would complain that they can't get their crew to match the newest uniform that someone decided to make their primary.

And considering the number of Fed uniforms currently available... that is A LOT of generic NPCs. We've currently got Odyssey, TOS, DSC, and TNG uniform sets based on bridge being used. 4 out of how many different uniforms? And its gotta be dynamic based on what the player is wearing? Honestly I don't even know if that's even possible. Maybe if it was a selection menu like how we can pick windows and stuff in the ship tailor it is possible.

But again we come to the sheer amount of uniform sets that would have to be made. And in the case of the 32nd Century uniforms, two uniform sets because season 3 and season 4 of Discovery have the same style but different colors.

In theory they could generate the uniforms skins for that automatically and store it for later use without digging into the existing code too much, but it would add complication and storage requirements and therefore slow down the already long switch into the interior. While it is a bit annoying having the uniform mix sometimes, the overhead of uniform matching is probably not worth the results.
    I have to say that TOS looks the least outdated, My main and his BOFFs are still wearing their TOS Uniform to this day though it is a bit jarring to see them wearing TOS uniforms when doing Discovey's Historical Simulation missions.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User

Funny stuff...

CM

Honestly I would be happier if they just removed the majority of the crew....how often was anyone walking through a hallway on a starship with a dozen+ other people in it? It also gets annoying with their pathing constantly opening doors and stuff
    I have to say that TOS looks the least outdated, My main and his BOFFs are still wearing their TOS Uniform to this day though it is a bit jarring to see them wearing TOS uniforms when doing Discovey's Historical Simulation missions.

I'm looking forward to getting the Strange New Worlds uniforms.
    rattler2 wrote: »

I'm looking forward to getting the Strange New Worlds uniforms.

I really like that the pips ranks are on the wrist like TOS rather than on a badge where it's barely noticeable.
    edited July 2021
    It would be nice to see the shimmery uniform tunics from The Cage too, by the time TOS rolled around the cheap velour had deteriorated so much they looked almost like heavy flannel instead of the velvet they were supposed to look like. The only one that survived with the original shimmer was the medical one Bones occasionally wore since Dr. Boyce didn't use it much it and it was never used in any hot outdoor shoots that would require laundering.
    I really like that the pips ranks are on the wrist like TOS rather than on a badge where it's barely noticeable.

They weren't pips. They were stripes. Looked to me like they were sorta based on the Kelvin Timeline rank stripes, being simpler than TOS, but still in the right places with the right color.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User

To be honest the TOS uniform isn't that far from the Uniform used by the Enterprise crew (think TOS colors but the texture of the DSC uniforms)
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

Funny stuff...

CM

Honestly I would be happier if they just removed the majority of the crew....how often was anyone walking through a hallway on a starship with a dozen+ other people in it? It also gets annoying with their pathing constantly opening doors and stuff

Honestly I'd prefer a redistribution of the crew rather then removal, the current issue is that too big part of the crew is just randomly wandering the halls, if you removed those the ships would look empty as there's practically no crew members working, but if you redistributed the crew members so that majority of them was either doing a task, was being patient at sickbay or was relaxing at the crew lounge, rather then wondering aimlessly in the corridors at lot of the issues you say would be solved.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User

in TOS there were ALWAYS people walking around, working on the widgets on the walls, going up and down the manhole ladders. and almost always one guy walking around in the silver radiation getup
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
    edited July 2021
    spiritborn wrote: »

To be honest the TOS uniform isn't that far from the Uniform used by the Enterprise crew (think TOS colors but the texture of the DSC uniforms)

The cut of the DSC Enterprise uniform is completely different from the TOS uniforms. The TOS ones had raglan sleeves which are superior for freedom of movement since they do not bind like the "set-in" style sleeves that DSC and The Cage use(d). In fact the sleeve type is named after Baron Raglan who first used them to improve swordplay by avoiding the drag the cut-in sleeve style has on the arms (to see what I mean just look at the stress wrinkles around the shoulder-sleeve join in DSC when anyone moves their arms, it does not seem like much but it adds fatigue over the long run).

Also, the material in both The Cage and TOS was much thinner, supple, and draped naturally so it did not look like they are wearing stiff flocked cardboard like the DSC ones usually do. Unfortunately the Cage/TOS tunics were made of a cheap artificial velvet called "velour" that is often used in plushy toys but degrades very rapidly when washed (the velvet shimmer is lost in just two or three washes, it degrades to a kind of dull sparkle as the nap starts curling, then goes completely dull and looks a bit like a cross between felt and flannel, also it shrinks badly every single time it is washed).

nixie50 wrote: »

in TOS there were ALWAYS people walking around, working on the widgets on the walls, going up and down the manhole ladders. and almost always one guy walking around in the silver radiation getup

Same with TNG, there's always people walking around the ship hallways wouldn't be lore friendly if all the hallway walking NPCs were suddenly thrown into the airlock and ejected into space.
    spiritborn wrote: »

Well... they did design the uniforms for the Enterprise crew to basically be a TOS style DSC uniform. Pike even said they were the new uniforms.
This discussion has been closed.