test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anniversary Ships, separately?

jrl13#0801 jrl13 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
Greetings Fellow Captains,

Just throwing this out there, how many captains would like to buy or get some of the anniversary ships without them being in the Anniversary or other bundles? Ross class? Legendary ships etc. etc?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Answers

• ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Another finger would curl on the monkey paw if you were to get your wish. Because it would come attached with something that you didn't bargain for.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I think literally everybody would like that, but it's not what Cryptic/PWE determined to be most profitable.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Would it be nice? Sure. Will it happen? Not any time soon.

The 10th Anniversary bundle is priced a bit lower than average cost of one single-character promo pack ship (1:100 odds for packs).

The point of the bundles is to get you to spend enough money to make up for the lost lock box and promo pack sales. Letting you pick and choose single ships and then pay a lot less goes against that.
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    I actually would not be surprised to see more single legendary ships for $50-60 each. The 10th pack was too good a deal, the 11th was a terrible one

So they probably realized that people will shell out $200 for 10 ships, but not $200 for 4 ships. But they will spend $50 on one ship

They likely lost money by putting the Legendary Excelsior in the $200 pack, instead of it being $50 just itself. Lots of people would have bought it, but only the die hard fan would drop $200 for it.

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »
    I actually would not be surprised to see more single legendary ships for $50-60 each. The 10th pack was too good a deal, the 11th was a terrible one

So they probably realized that people will shell out $200 for 10 ships, but not $200 for 4 ships. But they will spend $50 on one ship

They likely lost money by putting the Legendary Excelsior in the $200 pack, instead of it being $50 just itself. Lots of people would have bought it, but only the die hard fan would drop $200 for it.

$50 is unlikely. $60-75 *maybe* as that seems to be the price-point where Mudd ships are settling at (on 'sale' that is). But whether they'd actually do that is an entirely different question.

Whether it is 50, 60, or 75 it is still firmly in whale territory so not many casuals would be likely to buy it.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I really felt hard-done-by when I realized that the 10th Anniversary Pack was gone, but now it's back...I've taken a good look at it and also Googled the stats between different versions of for instance the Intrepid and it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Yeah, there's great fun in playing a hero ship...but the stats just aren't worth the gains, or the sacrifice.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > Whether it is 50, 60, or 75 it is still firmly in whale territory so not many casuals would be likely to buy it.

Those aren't the target audience for this. Since the bundles are only available or 'on sale', in case of Mudd's, for a limited anount of time those offers are directed at people who can act on impulse purchases. The casual who'd spend 20 on their favorite F2P game is of little interest.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • pino31pino31 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    I.....got the bundle.
    I've never been so excited about what I got from a sale as I have receiving these ships, but I've also never been so ready to puke either.

If the typical price of a zen store ship is 25-30+ then at least I can say the ships were cheaper through the sale than buying them individually at the typical prices.

And I can't say that every single ship I've looked at so far isn't awesome. Because they are.

But I can say honestly that it hurt and I could puke. LOL

It's really weird being excited and about to puke at the same time o.O

If these ships get separated into individual purchases, they better not be cheaper than what I paid for them is all I'm going to say! I'd feel ripped off big time.

Ultimately, the argument with myself did not come down to whether or not it was logical, or smart, or good for my already impossible to tolerate tight budget. The argument was do I want them or not?

I wanted them. So I bought them. And if I had the choice to make again, I'd still buy them. But I better be able to enjoy them for a looooooong time.

...And get over the feeling of wanting to puke.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »

Technically the 11th was 6 ships not 4, because it also included 2 100% off coupons for T6 Zen ships.

Yes, you are correct, and i used those tokens on ships for my son, as they are open to send to others. It was more expensive than the 10 anniversary bundle, but they are good ships, and i'm happy with them. Also i just buyed the 10 Anny one, as i wanted at least 7 of those ships, and as i was saving for some time for it, it was woth it.. finally got one of my favorites, the Glenn. Would i liked that htey where individual sales, yes, sure... but i do not regret my purchases at al..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    I only wish that we were able to pool what we have to buy some things...EC, Zen, Dilithium, T6 Tokens, etc. If everything could go towards affording what you wanted to buy, then I'd be willing to wipe my toons out to afford it.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    So they probably realized that people will shell out $200 for 10 ships, but not $200 for 4 ships.
    Plenty of people DID buy the 11th, including me even though I was hating on it the whole time AND felt ripped off ... a bonus from work combined with some surprise money from my state enabled me to afford it and I purchased it on impulse.

As for breaking the tenth anniversary bundle up, if it was gonna happen I think it would have by now, so IMO it's safe to say that the bundle will remain the only way to obtain those ships. If they ever DID break it up though I can guarantee that the price-per-ship would be worse than buying the entire bundle, $60-$90 if they did the ships by themselves or $90-$120 if they did a bundle similar to the mirror Galaxy-X.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    So they probably realized that people will shell out $200 for 10 ships, but not $200 for 4 ships.
    Plenty of people DID buy the 11th, including me even though I was hating on it the whole time AND felt ripped off ... a bonus from work combined with some surprise money from my state enabled me to afford it and I purchased it on impulse.

As for breaking the tenth anniversary bundle up, if it was gonna happen I think it would have by now, so IMO it's safe to say that the bundle will remain the only way to obtain those ships. If they ever DID break it up though I can guarantee that the price-per-ship would be worse than buying the entire bundle, $60-$90 if they did the ships by themselves or $90-$120 if they did a bundle similar to the mirror Galaxy-X.

I've got to be honest...my finger hovered over the button to buy the Zen for the 10th Anniversary Pack, even after I watched some not-so-flattering YouTube reviews of the ships and comparisons with others. I couldn't bring myself to do it though. I'm not sure why and not to sound holier than thou, but maybe I just felt morally opposed. It shouldn't cost THAT much and not buying it, has just given me more appreciate of the ships I don't have to spend the best part of 200 quid to get.

With some time and effort, it's possible to rejigger one of the uglier ships in the game...raise a pylon here, use a different nacelle there, etc. I completely respect anyone who's bought the pack and if the ships were sold separately, then I'm not saying I wouldn't grind for it, but I just can't bring myself to buy.
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    I am very skeptical the 11th bundle sold well, given I almost never see one of the ships from it, while it's rare to do a TFO without someone flying a 10th anniversary ship or a Legendary D7
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    > @discojer said:
    > I am very skeptical the 11th bundle sold well, given I almost never see one of the ships from it, while it's rare to do a TFO without someone flying a 10th anniversary ship or a Legendary D7

I agree that it couldn’t have sold as well as other expensive bundles. But there were a whole bunch of Legendary Excelsiors, Ambassadors, and Vorchas hanging out around during the Anniversary. And I would imagine there are still a fair number sitting around in people’s dry docks.

My guess is the 11th primarily picked up by heavy collectors (I.e. the real “whales’’ or hardcore players like many of us on the forum) or people who came back during the anniversary and didn’t realize that it was a lemon. I would further speculate that many who did buy it had buyers remorse. But that is just my projecting. I am pretty sure I would have regretted buying it—even though I am always interested in a new BOP.
This discussion has been closed.