test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Severe Framerate Drop on Risa

danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
I've noticed since arriving at Risa that there is a severe framerate drop whenever I look towards wherever the majority of the island resort is (from the arrival point, it's towards the other end of the map, while at the other end of the map, it is towards the arrival point). Updating my video drivers and increasing my memory had no effect on this problem. I have never encountered this issue on Risa in all the years since I started playing this game, and I am not sure which patch began this issue, except it was within the last six months (the last time I visited Risa).

Comments

• admthomsonadmthomson Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Have this exact problem too, though I don't think it's the Resort. Flying around with a floater I found that hovering over the volcano and looking north (away from the resort/arrival point) and towards the far off islands caused it. Actually, it seems to happen in an arc from the left most islands on the map all the way to the highest tip of the volcano ( from my previously mentioned vantage point). Also the ocean on the north end (just behind the tower) seems to artifact as well when looking at it

Mentioned it the chat and someone suggested checking my CPU core usage as it might be one or more cores being maxed out. Sure enough one of the cores was maxing out and as soon as I looked away it was stopped maxing out. Not sure if its a hardware or software issue, since someone else in my household uses the exact same CPU and GPU, but a different motherboard. In any case, I'd have a quick look at your CPU usage and see if its the same thing

For clarity, here's my CPU/GPU/MOBO setup:

AMD FX-6300 Black Edition (6-Core @ 3.5GHz)
    Sapphire Radeon RX-480 Nitro+ 4GB (Polaris XT Chipset)
    Asus M5A99X Evo Rev 2.0 (AM3+ Socket)
    Karina%20Everdeen%203%20-%20USS%20Azzameen.png
  • shadowknight008shadowknight008 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I experienced the same problem this year on Risa, but never had the issue before in all of my years playing STO. The problem stops if you change Lighting 2.0 back to the original lighting (or at least it's playable - still a bit slower in the hotel). You can see the difference with /showfps 1. This isn't a PC hardware or driver issue. STO changed something on Risa this year that is causing the problem.
  • nova73#7821 nova73 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I've been getting the same issue, everywhere else I get a pretty solid upper 50-60fps but as soon as I turn towards the central island on Risa my fps drops to around 10, I've even had the game crash a few times on Risa the last few days.

Turning off lighting 2.0 improves things immensely, so for now, I'm running Risa with 2.0 off, But something on Risa is definitely off this year, because I've never had issues this bad there.