test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unplayable FPS drops

sofiarivas#5677 sofiarivas Member Posts: 88 Arc User
edited July 2021 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Anything on the ground for me drops my FPS to an average of 8 making it totally unplayable (this is on the games default graphic settings) - Tested on the lowest and it averages 22-44 FPS but looks terrible, my PC more than meets the games recommended requirements with the exception I'm running Windows 7 and not Windows 10.

Checking out the Risa event, average of 8-15 fps on the defualt settings the game chose. I went into space to do 'The ninth rule' to test FPS the average was 30 - 60+ fps. Beamed back to Risa on the lowest graphics settings and got between 20-40 fps.

I don't have an issue like this on more intensive games for example Rust, which is known to be power hungry, I really don't want to have to switch graphic settings to junk everytime I attempt a surface mission / event amd then switch back in space.

I don't think I'm going to be investing anymore ZEN in this game until this stuff is sorted out.

Comments

• chanfron66chanfron66 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    I have similar issue on risa, frames drop to below ten when camera is facing north, look south and its fine, pan around and frames drop till facing north then is about 8fps, if I face north then pan up or down looking at sky or ground frames come back.
    I have noticed that risa has pop allowance of 50, wasn't it 30 before, wonder if that has something to do with it.

Not noticed any issues on drozanna or ESD but not done any other ground stuff yet.
    • Soft Tribble Warm Tribble, Little ball of fur, Happy Tribble, Sleepy Tribble, Purr Purr Purr
    • Hard Gorny, Cold Gorny, Big Ball of Scales, Angry Gorny, Fighty Gorny, Hiss, Hiss Hisssss
    • History will never forget the name "InvalidEntityName"
  • naralyth#4870 naralyth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    For me it started with some of late may/early june updates. One CPU core spikes to 100%, others are barely used. It helps if i turn off advanced lighting 2.0, but it is still worse than before.

I posted this thread about it, but no one noticed the same problem it seems..

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1262214/poor-performance-in-busy-areas-since-last-update
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    It might be the CPU core bug or the known bugs with the games UI that kill FPS. Its common for parts of the UI to cut FPS in half or worse. On the ground I can go from 40fps down to 18fps just from turning on/off parts of the UI. Its a common problem.

Try removing as much of the UI as you can, close the inventory, minimize chat. Lots of people lose 10 to 20 FPS just from having the inventory open, another 10fps for crafting page, the UI drain on FPS is just crazy in this day and age.

@naralyth just about every computer I have looked at suffers from that since that patch. I think its more most people don't look at cores or realize that's the problem. I have yet to find a computer that doesn't expreince what you and me expreince.
    I tried the test server too, on risa with none other players frames drop to less than 10, it is very odd that its only when camera is in its default 3rd person view facing north, will try some other places on map later to see if that make any difference.
    • Soft Tribble Warm Tribble, Little ball of fur, Happy Tribble, Sleepy Tribble, Purr Purr Purr
    • Hard Gorny, Cold Gorny, Big Ball of Scales, Angry Gorny, Fighty Gorny, Hiss, Hiss Hisssss
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I have experienced the FPS drop on Risa too. However after some exploration I have determined that its not when facing North alone. You go up to the Ferengi camp in the north and look north you're fine, but the second you look south... FPS drop.
    Going to the Promenade to the east of the island, looking north is fine, but the second you look west... FPS drop.

Its something about looking towards the center of the island that's causing it from my experimentation.
    I'll shoot this thread over to AmbassadorKael to pass along.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    I'm going to try testing this out tonight with some of my crew. When you guys experience the FPS drops, is there a particular spot on the map that seems to be a particularly bad offender, or is it just pointing the camera north in general towards the island?
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • sofiarivas#5677 sofiarivas Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    I'm going to try testing this out tonight with some of my crew. When you guys experience the FPS drops, is there a particular spot on the map that seems to be a particularly bad offender, or is it just pointing the camera north in general towards the island?

Stand on the dancefloor and look towards the dance 'instructor / mission giver' and traders in the building. I haven't tested other locations, but I get 7 fps at this spot, I added a screenshot, my FPS is green top left.
    CRIgdq4.png
  • argoz#3848 argoz Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Getting massive FPS drops on ground on RISA and DS9 since recently. It's a slideshow and very unplayable. Turning lighting 2.0 off helps.
  • o0galathor0oo0galathor0o Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Same here. Lag on DS9 and slideshow on Risa (but only if I face north, wich makes every activity obsolete where you have to change directions). Plus frequent game crashes since a few days now. And rubberbanding's back.
    Post edited by o0galathor0o on
    ~ Don't blame the clown for being a clown, blame yourself for going to the circus ~
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    @o0galathor0o
    Could you try beaming to the Ferengi Camp in the north and look south next time you're on? And then the Promenade and look west?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I have experienced the FPS drop on Risa too. However after some exploration I have determined that its not when facing North alone. You go up to the Ferengi camp in the north and look north you're fine, but the second you look south... FPS drop.
    Going to the Promenade to the east of the island, looking north is fine, but the second you look west... FPS drop.

Its something about looking towards the center of the island that's causing it from my experimentation.
    I'll shoot this thread over to AmbassadorKael to pass along.

Yeah i tried that last night, it seems to be whenever the island is in camera or something like that, I turned Lighting 2.0 off and at least its playable now but looks bad lol

Yeah, at beam in spot pan camera so it looking north or goto dance floor and look at building
    edited July 2021
    Got 2 videos if anyone want to see, FPS is in top right corner from ingame /showfps command
    Video one is at beam in point
    https://youtu.be/sOgIZm18_qc

Video two is on top of mountain, notice differant water texture and big square transitions when looking at lighthouse
    https://youtu.be/lg02kWGbGAY

you will need to watch full screen to see FPS counter
    edited July 2021
    Has there been a Stealth fix for this? I was on Risa today and thought this feels oddly smooth. Turned the FPS counter on and its triple what it normally is 80's FPS instead of sub 30FPS. No lag at all.

@chanfron66 wondering what windows build you are on. Do you have 21H1 with the KB5003690 update?

EDIT: I still get the UI FPS drop but with most of the UI closed down Risa was was perfect today for the first time.
    edited July 2021
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Has there been a Stealth fix for this? I was on Risa today and thought this feels oddly smooth. Turned the FPS counter on and its triple what it normally is 80's FPS instead of sub 30FPS. No lag at all.

@chanfron66 wondering what windows build you are on. Do you have 21H1 with the KB5003690 update?

EDIT: I still get the UI FPS drop but with most of the UI closed down Risa was was perfect today for the first time.

I was on risa earlier today for the daily mission to get ship and it was still laggy, I turn off Lighting 2.0 and its then perfectly playable but looks worse lol. will try again later and see if anything different.

I am on Windows 7 64 bit as my pc refuses to install win 10, probably because its almost 11 year old now

Edit : tried risa again, still same for me
    Post edited by chanfron66 on
    whatever fixes got patched today has not helped me at all, still less than ten fps when looking at the island so will have to play with lighting 2.0 disabled.
    edited July 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    @o0galathor0o
    Could you try beaming to the Ferengi Camp in the north and look south next time you're on? And then the Promenade and look west?

Yes, I did it and you're right. I experienced the same as you. Must have to do with the region around the central volcano. Maybe when they set up Risa this year they left something "heavy" in the center of the map which is invisible and causes all that.
    chanfron66 wrote: »
    whatever fixes got patched today has not helped me at all, still less than ten fps when looking at the island so will have to play with lighting 2.0 disabled.

Yeah, same here. The patch did nothing for Risa.

~ Don't blame the clown for being a clown, blame yourself for going to the circus ~
    edited July 2021
    Risa is still smooth for me. What ever they did worked for my setup. Chat seems mixed a few other people said its now smooth and looking at the middle no longer kills FPS, while a few others said they see no difference.
    will see if any improvements after maint today but since patch notes make no mention I don't hold much hope.
    edited July 2021
    No improvements here, Risa is still laggy for me the same way as before. Patch didn't change anything.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2021
    argoz#3848 wrote: »
    Getting massive FPS drops on ground on RISA and DS9 since recently. It's a slideshow and very unplayable. Turning lighting 2.0 off helps.

Interesting cause a friend said something similar about the crashes turning Lighting 2.0 seems to help! I haven't had to do that myself yet I've tried turning Dynamic Lighting to OFF to try and reduce the Crashes... ...not sure if that's a related thing or similar symptoms of a hidden issue?

Still I'm not noticing FPS issues on Risa.

I'd also wish they reduce Risa just to 30-40 per instance at most! As several in a General Discussion thread said, instances with mid 30 or so users have most issues resolved. Though not quite sure why it effects some, more than it effects others?
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
    Maybe I understand that wrong, but for me a forum is there to talk to each other. So why doesn't Cryptic talk to us, showing that they realized what's going on and telling us what they intend to do against it (if at all they intend do). If there's something that's really missing from their side then it's the ability to properly communicate. To me it seems as if they want to sit it out until Risa is finished and just let people talk.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    Maybe I understand that wrong, but for me a forum is there to talk to each other. So why doesn't Cryptic talk to us, showing that they realized what's going on and telling us what they intend to do against it (if at all they intend do). If there's something that's really missing from their side then it's the ability to properly communicate. To me it seems as if they want to sit it out until Risa is finished and just let people talk.

You won't get responses from the devs. Kael will always do his best to relay any important info via the forum but mostly via Social media mainly Twitter. The mods Darbladejk and Rattler2 will also do their best to relay info. But checkout reddit as the devs seem to be more responsive on their. Keep an eye on this thread ..... https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1259525/the-reddit-twitter-dev-tracker-thread/p15
    eazzie wrote: »
    You won't get responses from the devs. Kael will always do his best to relay any important info via the forum but mostly via Social media mainly Twitter. The mods Darbladejk and Rattler2 will also do their best to relay info. But checkout reddit as the devs seem to be more responsive on their. Keep an eye on this thread ..... https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1259525/the-reddit-twitter-dev-tracker-thread/p15

Thank you for the info, will check it :)
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Strangely today my friend commented about FPS drops, and he also said when he facing one direction. I asked if it was towards the center of map and seems it was.

I also told him to try finding an instance with 35 or less players, as several have said it improves quickly with only 30 people on the instance.
    0zxlclk.png
  • krisxr400krisxr400 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    HI. This is the first time posting in STO forums, but have been a player since 2011. I have noticed all of what is being discussed here in this thread. I think the 2nd or 3rd patch in june (idk maybe in may) that some areas were having massive fps drops when looking in certain directions. Even though there's hardly anything that has to be rendered (just sky or a wall). Dyson Sphere allied zone was the first place I noticed it. Then Risa hit and it was horrible. So since then I have noticed it's spreading. Ds9 is getting horrible lighting 2.0 on or off. I recently made a new temporal toon and have been replaying the missions, some of them are horrible for fps drops. I played one last night in the Gama story arc, and the second to last mission (cannie member the name) where the Hurq are introduced at the Ds9 battle, and it was a slide show. That mission use to run smooth as butter with all that action going on. There were many more missions that experienced this and the fps drops seem to get worse with any story arcs after the Delta arc.

I dont know why this isnt a bigger topic. The game is running horrible. It's like an old car, it starts hard (sometimes takes two attempts), it stalls, it spits, it sputters, misfires (fps drops lol) and after an hour session crashes during load screens (timed out from server). May I ask why are they pumping out new stuff to buy (which at this point it has been all Disco based going on 3yrs, other than a paltry TOS Miranda reskin for the event), when the game stability needs attention. Please stop with the gimmicky space magic for a while and make the game operate proper. Gosh such fun missions spoiled by fps issues.

If this helps I have also noticed when in close proximity with certain random players (space and ground) the lag and fps combine and make for a confusing and lame experience. If all of this unstable code is an attempt to bridge the time stamp gap between players and smooth out the lag experience, it's not working.
    Still seeing major problems myself. Just opening up parts of the UI still kill FPS by major amounts. The UI alone can take me from 70+FPS down to sub 20fps or sub 15FPS at times.